Episode #61 "The Afternoon Plane"

Ferrariman

i always thought it was odd  that Sonny mentions dating a lawyer at the beginning, just after he's been with teresa, but apparently this episode was shot before Teresa or Duty and Honor, and if you notice that line is dubbed in. So when he's talking about his girlfriends beeper going off it was apparently originally supposed to be teresa.

• Like 1

• 11 months later...

Another mixed bag.

The scene where Tubbs confronts the desk clerk I love.

Some of the scenery is nice. Good Hammer music. Reminds me of S1.

Loved seeing Gomer Pyle.

I like the last 10-15 mins. It just takes forever to get started.

However, the rest of the episode is mediocre. Especially the scenes where Tubbs talks to the townspeople.

C and T pick unattractive girlfriends. Especially the ex he encounters at the hotel.

The episode is honestly just too slow and kinda boring.

Also, Orlando's death was a letdown.

6/10

Edited by Remington
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Remington said:

Another mixed bag.

The scene where Tubbs confronts the desk clerk I love.

Some of the scenery is nice. Good Hammer music. Reminds me of S1.

Loved seeing Gomer Pyle.

I like the last 10-15 mins. It just takes forever to get started.

However, the rest of the episode is mediocre. Especially the scenes where Tubbs talks to the townspeople.

C and T pick unattractive girlfriends. Especially the ex he encounters at the hotel.

The episode is honestly just too slow and kinda boring.

Also, Orlando's death was a letdown.

6/10

I agree, that the end to the Calderone saga was definitely a letdown...I don't know, it just needed to be more elaborate or something--a more complex plan put together by Orlando, Jr. I did like Tubbs' main girlfriend in this one...despite her being his femme fatale, killer girlfriend from The Great McCarthy. :p

• Like 4

• 7 months later...

The story is slowly progressing towards the climax. Lacking tension. We get no info on Tubb's son from Calderone, who only mentions his sister. Tubbs unknowingly still believes his son is dead. They repeated some scenes from Calderone part 2. This episode didn't have the atmosphere and mood that Calderone's return pt 2 had, despite being on an island and having the same Jan Hammer music. I felt like they didn't bother much with this episode. Something that just had to be done/get over with to close the Calderone saga. Tubbs and Alicia together was nice and her helping him.I think, I liked her character more her. Wondering what is going to happen to Tubbs, is he going to get any assistance was interesting to follow. Some interesting experimentation with the camera work/filming in this episode. I agree with Coop, it's not the most beautiful island with buildings worn down and the overall area looking poor, but there is some charm to the old buildings. I enjoyed the music. It always draws you in somehow. "The Afternoon Plane" aired after Theresa, but was originally produced 5 episode before. Apparently Crockett is going out with some woman named Sarita, a lawyer. 

I was disappointed with the ending and that we didn't get any knowledge on Tubb's son. 

Overall I'll have to rate the episode a 4 or 5/10

Edited by summer84

On 25/12/2017 at 9:42 PM, summer84 said:

The story is slowly progressing towards the climax. Lacking tension. We get no info on Tubb's son from Calderone, who only mentions his sister. Tubbs unknowingly still believes his son is dead. They repeated some scenes from Calderone part 2. This episode didn't have the atmosphere and mood that Calderone's return pt 2 had, despite being on an island and having the same Jan Hammer music. I felt like they didn't bother much with this episode. Something that just had to be done/get over with to close the Calderone saga. Tubbs and Alicia together was nice and her helping him.I think, I liked her character more her. Wondering what is going to happen to Tubbs, is he going to get any assistance was interesting to follow. Some interesting experimentation with the camera work/filming in this episode. I agree with Coop, it's not the most beautiful island with buildings worn down and the overall area looking poor, but there is some charm to the old buildings. I enjoyed the music. It always draws you in somehow. "The Afternoon Plane" aired after Theresa, but was originally produced 5 episode before. Apparently Crockett is going out with some woman named Sarita, a lawyer. 

I was disappointed with the ending and that we didn't get any knowledge on Tubb's son. 

Overall I'll have to rate the episode a 4 or 5/10

Shame there was no resolution about Tubbs son who obviously did not die at the of the Season 2s finale “Sons and Lovers”:xmas::hippie:

3 hours ago, Matt5 said:

Shame there was no resolution about Tubbs son who obviously did not die at the of the Season 2s finale “Sons and Lovers”:xmas::hippie:

I agree. Unfortunately they decided to close the Calderone saga with this S3 episode. 

Edited by summer84

16 hours ago, summer84 said:

I agree. Unfortunately they decided to close the Calderone saga with this S3 episode. 

I never realised they shot this episode earlier and was aired as the 17th episode of the 3rd Season:xmas::hippie:

13 hours ago, summer84 said:

Found more on the production code in this article. I hope, I understood it correct, that the production code indicates, when the episode was originally produced/filmed??? 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Production_code_number

http://miamivice.wikia.com/wiki/Season_3

Summer - I’m just not sure if those dates are correct for the production dates for “The Afternoon Plane” - look at Crocketts hair at the back it’s slightly longer than the “Down for the Count” episodes and it says Afternoon Plane was filmed before those two episodes ?!:fireworks:

• Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, Matt5 said:

Summer - I’m just not sure if those dates are correct for the production dates for “The Afternoon Plane” - look at Crocketts hair at the back it’s slightly longer than the “Down for the Count” episodes and it says Afternoon Plane was filmed before those two episodes ?!:fireworks:

Thank you Matt! I'll check. :thumbsup:

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Is this Miami Vice or The Prisoner? Tubbs is like McGoohan in the '60s TV show in this ep.

And Pvt Pyle and Benny Blanco on screen isn't bad.

Edited by Tommy Vercetti
  • Haha 1

• 6 months later...

Mixed feelings about this episode. Like in the previous episode "Theresa" again one of the hero's relationships comes straight out of the blue. Beside that the whole Calderon saga actually deserves a more ambitious final with at least one more character from the Vice department, and the whole Tubbs is looking for supporters and weapons-part is too stretched. But on the other hand PMT acts pretty well and the showdown wasn't too bad. 

Overall an episode which could have needed some more budget. I kinda was hoping for Crockett showing up with the Scarab. Anyway, I still enjoyed it more than other filler episodes like "French Twist". Watchable, but certainly far away from a masterpiece. 6/10

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, squeezem3 said:

Mixed feelings about this episode. Like in the previous episode "Theresa" again one of the hero's relationships comes straight out of the blue. Beside that the whole Calderon saga actually deserves a more ambitious final with at least one more character from the Vice department, and the whole Tubbs is looking for supporters and weapons-part is too stretched. But on the other hand PMT acts pretty well and the showdown wasn't too bad. 

Overall an episode which could have needed some more budget. I kinda was hoping for Crockett showing up with the Scarab. Anyway, I still enjoyed it more than other filler episodes like "French Twist". Watchable, but certainly far away from a masterpiece. 6/10

The Calderone saga definitely needed a better, and more thought out, in-depth conclusion. But, sadly by this time there were new writers, possibly again, and to me they just sort of slam-bam-thank ‘ya-mam threw this together & tried to call it good. The episode was okay, but they didn’t even give it a “full” conclusion, as Tubbs never found out that his baby son was still alive, and was not actually killed in the car explosion with Angelina...the baby was never mentioned again and we never find out what happened. ?( 

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, squeezem3 said:

Like in the previous episode "Theresa" again one of the hero's relationships comes straight out of the blue.

You have to imagine that their personal lives are always going on through (and in between) each episode. Who’s to say what all is brewing outside the focused plots of each story? Tubbs may have been seeing this girl for weeks (because she reminded him so much of Vanessa :) ), but it only became an episode when the Calderone angle recurred. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Dadrian said:

You have to imagine that their personal lives are always going on through (and in between) each episode. Who’s to say what all is brewing outside the focused plots of each story? Tubbs may have been seeing this girl for weeks (because she reminded him so much of Vanessa :) ), but it only became an episode when the Calderone angle recurred. 

Exactly! Especially back in say the 80s...if they decided to do an episode about a significant-other of one of the main stars that had previously not been in an episode, you were supposed to use your imagination and or creativity, and assume that probably that star had been supposedly dating this person for an amount of time previously. :baby: We just didn’t see it until the episode specifically dealing with that person. Crockett had many girlfriends that suddenly popped out of the proverbial woodwork, to make for an “interesting” episode, LOL! :p

Edited by ViceFanMan
  • Like 1

• 5 months later...

Closing the book officially on Calderone should have been the finale, this was so weak.

What should have happened imo was Orlando baits him into going to the Island, sends him a message that his son is alive and he has him, and the whole unit goes with him including Castillo.

Edited by RedDragon86
  • Like 3

5 hours ago, RedDragon86 said:

Closing the book officially on Calderone should have been the finale, this was so weak.

What should have happened imo was Orlando baits him into going to the Island, sends him a message that his son is alive and he has him, and the whole unit goes with him including Castillo.

That’d been awesome...especially for the season, or even series, finale!! :thumbsup:

• Like 1

This was an homage to many of the "anticipating the big showdown" westerns of yesteryear. How successful it was at that is obviously a matter of debate. But it certainly beats Cows of October in that regard but is inferior to El Viejo.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, ViceFanMan said:

That’d been awesome...especially for the season, or even series, finale!! :thumbsup:

Maybe the seasons finale, I always thought the series finale should have been about the return of Lao Li, and set in Thailand. I don't know how this would work but he gets released from prison after serving 4 years, maybe to do with corruption. So the story would be that Castillo gets kidnapped from his home late at night and taken to Thailand, the team noticed that Marty hasn't shown up for work 2 days running and get worried. I don't really know how to build on this but you guys can put a bit of input into it if you like. And the return of John Santucci and Joan Chen is a must.

Edited by RedDragon86

You'd have to get Menton sprung as well for that, but it would be doable. I'd say it would be the CIA who worked their release, wanting to put Lao Li back in the field for some kind of anti-China operation. One of their fantasies. And it could be Castillo hears about the release and it finally trips him. He decides to go after him on his own, and the rest of the team follows out of loyalty. Otherwise they'd have no real way to get overseas. Or maybe Castillo works his DEA contacts and gets his team set up as an anti-narcotics task force sent to shut down Lao Li's heroin operation. Castillo deeply disliked Lao Li, but he hated Menton. I think he'd go after him alone and Lao Li would be good collateral damage in his mind. Something like this would also let Castillo reconnect with refugees from Laos. It would have had to be a two parter (at least) for it to work. Or maybe a final three hour TV movie.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Robbie C. said:

You'd have to get Menton sprung as well for that, but it would be doable. I'd say it would be the CIA who worked their release, wanting to put Lao Li back in the field for some kind of anti-China operation. One of their fantasies. And it could be Castillo hears about the release and it finally trips him. He decides to go after him on his own, and the rest of the team follows out of loyalty. Otherwise they'd have no real way to get overseas. Or maybe Castillo works his DEA contacts and gets his team set up as an anti-narcotics task force sent to shut down Lao Li's heroin operation. Castillo deeply disliked Lao Li, but he hated Menton. I think he'd go after him alone and Lao Li would be good collateral damage in his mind. Something like this would also let Castillo reconnect with refugees from Laos. It would have had to be a two parter (at least) for it to work. Or maybe a final three hour TV movie.

This sounds brilliant. Perfect :thumbsup:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, RedDragon86 said:

This sounds brilliant. Perfect :thumbsup:

Thanks! I do a fair amount of writing and RPG-type stuff, so this kind of plotting is almost a reflex by now. I went with the DEA because the team would need a way to get overseas with their equipment and weapons...not really possible if they're chasing Castillo. And does anyone really think Castillo could be easily kidnapped? I find it more interesting from a character sense to have him finally snap. He almost killed Menton in the conference room...what do you think he'd do if he found out the guy who set up and wiped out most of his team had been sprung again to work with Lao Li? And with Sonny coming off the Burnett break they'd have some solid bonding moments here.

• Like 2