Episode #61 "The Afternoon Plane"

Ferrariman

• 1 year later...
Guest neworder

Although the concept of this episode is fairly decent, the execution is poor. Let’s start with the positives; nice scenery and settings, good to see PMT with lots of screen time and Jan Hammer’s music is good. However, the rest of the episode is slow and boring. Sally seems like a pointless character, I mean what are the chances of meeting someone you know on a small island? Also it’s a very boring end to the usually exciting Calderone story ark. Thankfully season 3 takes a break from being mediocre for the next two episodes. This season post Down for the Count is pretty average. So I'm going to agree with the ratings so far; 5/10

I like this episode because Tubbs is featured for a change. It sort of reminds me of "High Noon". Rico defended himself admirably, with no weapon of his own & everyone against him. That alone held my interest. I kept wondering how he was going to survive & this made it suspenseful for me. The only thing I miss is Crockett. 7 out of 10.

Also not one of my favorites either, yet interesting story line. I liked the clothes that the "bad guys" wore. The colors...Those socks made me laugh and also the way Tubbs hot wired the truck....Funny. Breath taking scenery (hey, I have about 6" on snow in my yard) and absolutely amazing Rico runs into a lady from his past. The scene where the boy runs across the lawn/yard....Don't we see this yard again coming up in another episode? Yep, a poor way to end the Calderone series, yet just, I guess... In the beginning we hear Sonny talking about his date not being able to make the art show....?...He does move fast... 5 on this one for me also....Mike

I find this to be a very entertaining episode, Vincent D' Onofrio who is great as Detective Goren on Law & Order: Criminal Intent is also great here, this time on the opposite side of the law, John Leguizamo returns to Vice as well.A somewhat unusual episode that is just pretty fun to watch, 8 out of 10.

I gave it a 8 because I like eps with PMT. About the story, OK, it´s a bit weak, but, you´re right, Tony D., it reminded me also a bit to High Noon. As I´m living in ©old Germany, I love the island´s scenery. The sun, the sand, the blue sky, and Rico who wanted to spent some romantic days with his new love.Neworder, about the chance of meeting someone you know on a small island, I want to tell you something: *Off topic on*Some years ago, my husband and I rode to France. I left the bus, looked around, and discovered a car with a number plate from our area. The car stopped next to us, and out of it got our children´s nursery teacher, who´s living in the same village as we do. She had decided to spent a long weekend in FRance in hope not to meet anyone she knows.*Off topic out*

I thought this was one of the worst MV episodes. It was such a let down, and a terrible way to end the Calderone story. I was clock watching about 20 minutes into the episode. I just wanted it to end quickly so I could move on to the next episode. The story was silly and the acting was poor. 3/10

I thought you would've liked Pvt. Pyle's guest appearance in this ep' date=' Chum[/quote']the only thumbs up :thumbsup: , that's why I gave it a 3/10 and not worse!

It is an underwhelming way to cap off the Calderone saga, but I've always loved the claustrophobic tension and High Noon homage of the ep. 8/10 for me.

How could they' date=' Chum? ;)[/quote']haha!I meant, in keeping with the trend we have seen previously where someone always seems to give 10/10, this time no one has done so...I think even the most generous ultimate MV lovers have had a reality check. This one crosses the line :p

• 2 weeks later...

My original review of Afternoon Plane 16 July 2007 at 9:53pmThis is one of my least favorites episodes in Season 3. I rate it a 4.I read somewhere that the working title was noon plane, which makes sense to me because it reminds me of the movie High Noon which I also didn't like. I did like the jan Hammer music during this episode: the tension music compared to the party kind of music. We see another 'police official' taking Calderone's money and the deputy reminded me of Barny Fife except that even Barny I think would have been more compentent. What I hate most about this episode is that it missed a chance to do a good interesting follow up to Sons and Lovers. Also I counted at least two different times where they said Tubbs killed Calderone Senior, when it was Crockett that did the actual shooting. The island people were portrayed as cowards and bitter and smart alecky because their rich livelihood was gone. Also one of my complaints is not only was there not enough Crockett, but there was none of the other OCB gang in this episode at all. At least in Walk Alone we got the whole OCB gang involved, and later on in the Cell Within in 5th season we have the majority of the OCB gang involved. One thing I did like was Aleesha did try and help Tubbs and proved that she wasn't a coward. Tubbs needed all the help he could get. This episode just couldn't hold my interest. as an aside comment I noticed Vincent D'Ornifico still hasn't shaved! (my husband's remark) All in all I was disappointed to the way they wrapped up the Calderone saga. 1/5/2010 - After watching this episode again a few weeks ago, I still can't find much of anything about this episode I like. Some of the scenery at the beginning of the episode on the Island was nice, and I did still like Jan's music, but this one still bores and dissappoints me.:-(

• 2 weeks later...

I'll grant this story an 8. I thoroughly enjoyed it, but unfortunately it had no closure on the whereabouts on Rico's son. And somewhat surprising that the Calderone family only had 2 hired guns left at their disposal on the island.

• 4 weeks later...

and absolutely amazing Rico runs into a lady from his past.

Maybe Tubbs has just been with a lot of women? ;)I still consider this to be a good episode. I quite like the fact that the action takes place out of Miami. It gives an original feel to it. I don't know where they filmed this episode, but there were a few places that looked like familiar Miami locations. At 8m15s you see a scene is the background that looks very much like the spot where Tubbs, Crockett, and Castillo were standing at the end of "Bushido". Also the scenes of the docks where the Fishermen's boats were moored looked like Jimbo's at Virginia Key to me.Notice the similarities between this episode and that other Calderone related episode, "Calderone's return part 2". Both episodes involve a Calderone, take place on an island, and the chief of police is a chubby black guy on Calderone's payroll. In the first episode, Crockett pays a visit to guy to discuss Calderone and his apprehension. In the second episode Tubbs does the same thing.I remember the first time I watched this episode. My parents were also sat with me. One of the first things they both said was that the episode was clearly based on "High Noon", although I've still never seen the film. What I do know from what I have been told is that the whole film builds up steadily to the point where the shootout is due to take place. This maybe why this episode has been criticised as being slow, as it is based on this atmosphere of the film.Some minor issues with realism tainted the episode slightly. In typical bad guy style, Calderone and his hencemen were pathetic shots, and couldn't hit Tubbs once with machine guns fired at him from a short distance. Yet notice how Alicia (who we assume has never used a gun before), floors Wolf, who never even noticed her. Tubbs looked like he fell about 30 feet off that roof onto the ground, and despite the fact that he's already supposed to have a bad leg, he still manages to dust himself off and carry on. Having said all this, at the same time I thought the finale game of cat and mouse was the best part of the episode, and I thought it was great.My other favourite part was the "we touch" sequence. Great song.I have to say Vincent D'Onofrio is an excellent actor. I saw him play a mentally handicapped character in an episode of "The Equalizer" once, and he was very convincing. His depiction of Private Pile losing his marbles in "Full Metal Jacket" was also good acting.I'll give this one 8 out of 10.

• 9 months later...

very weak episode in my opinion. I guess part of it is the anticipation of another Calderone episode and the subsequent let down. The other part is the very unsatisfying ending as its pretty weak in almost every way and closes very abruptly. It gets a 5 as its not as low as some episodes in Seasons 4 & 5, yet its pretty much as bad as it gets for Season 3.

• 3 months later...

The return of Little Bastard Calderone, along with that chick MANessa from S1.And who the hell invited Shug Avery from The Color Purple? This one was full of FAIL and EPIC FACEPALM, piss poor conclusion to the Calderone Saga.2/10:sick::thumbsdown: