Episode #60 "Theresa"

Ferrariman

2 hours ago, Dadrian said:

On stuff like this I always have to remind myself:

Sadly, the directors and producers could never have dreamed the show would be under such high definition scrutiny years later. 

On a 20” CRT monitor across the living room through a possibly not-so-good signal reception in 1986 it probably wasn’t that noticeable. 

You’re certainly right to cringe at it now, though. It can’t be missed on even the DVDs, much less the Blu Rays! :) 

Oh well—you take the good with the bad...

I think that is why I don't care for hi definition tvs.  The new stuff looks fine, but when I watch a film from 20-30 years ago it just looks weird.  It makes things look "faker", for lack of a better word.  Maybe it's the formatting/conversion process??  When a film was made in 1980, they didn't expect you'd be able to see all the fine details, especially in the background.  Or maybe I'm just turning into an old man that hates change?

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Mr. Vigilante said:

I think that is why I don't care for hi definition tvs.  The new stuff looks fine, but when I watch a film from 20-30 years ago it just looks weird.  It makes things look "faker", for lack of a better word.  Maybe it's the formatting/conversion process??  When a film was made in 1980, they didn't expect you'd be able to see all the fine details, especially in the background.  Or maybe I'm just turning into an old man that hates change?

Totally understand what you mean, and with older things sometimes you’re right. However, if the older film or TV show has been digitally remastered for DVD and/or Blu-ray, then they should work with HD TVs or devices just fine. 

But, several years ago I acquired original MV airings on homemade DVDs, that were gotten from the original VHS recordings...so by no means digital or remastered, although the guy that transferred the episodes possibly may have done things to “improve” them as best he could. But, I swear those episodes are amazing when I watch them on my Blu-ray player...it basically turns 1980s episodes into HD somehow?? 

Edited by ViceFanMan
  • Like 3

• 2 months later...
On 12/27/2020 at 9:18 PM, Sebax said:

Sadly, I didn't like this ep.

The worst part, was the obvious Wyatt stunt double in the final fight. I mean.. why? It wasn't a difficult scene to act!

Didn't like Sonny attitude during the episode either. That's not the personality he had shown so far.

I give it a 4.

Poorly done.

Untitled.png

Edited by RedDragon86

• 3 months later...

I really enjoy this episode, even though it’s tragic! "Theresa" is a very deep and emotional one for Crockett...and I thought Don and Helena Bonham Carter did superb acting jobs! :clap:

Some have claimed Theresa came out of almost nowhere and suddenly Crockett was wanting to marry her. Well...most of Crockett's girlfriends came out of left field and were soon gone. Most (not referring to Caitlin later on) were also only on 1 episode...where Theresa was in 2. Crockett was thinking of marrying Brenda in "Nobody Lives Forever", and was supposedly serious with Sarah in "Yankee Dollar"--yet we only saw them in those one episodes. Theresa was introduced to us the episode before "Theresa", in "Duty and Honor".

The writers were laying the groundwork for the character and I think they did an awesome job! You were supposed to understand that supposedly Crockett & Theresa had been together for a while. The plot, acting, directing, colors, fashion, action, car chases, gun battles, music, etc...were all captivating. :glossy: Jan Hammer had some awesome songs in this too...but then again he always did! :radio: 

Brad Dourif was a superb scuzz-ball as whacked-out drug dealer Wyatt. He truly "made" that role and was a perfect character actor! I loved his line to Crockett when he got in his face towards the end: "I’ll cut your skagged out squeeze’s head off ". Does half of that even make sense? :p The dude looked half "fried" on his own product most of the time. 

I loved Helena Bonham Carter and her English accent, and thought she was beautiful! :happy: I really wish she could have stayed around for a while...would much rather have had her instead of Caitlin (who came across as rushed, fake & forced)! I also loved the showcasing of the Carlyle Hotel...showcased more here than even in the Pilot! The hotel is still standing and in use today! :dance2:

I love the car chase scene right after that, and the bad guys’ Lotus...Crockett's Testarossa was "cooler" :cool: , but the Lotus was an interesting choice. This was a mesmerizing delve into one type of addict's life...the "functional" one. But, it also showed the other side of the chaotic and deadly lifestyle of Wyatt and his druggie goons. It was a sad and tragic episode...but a captivating one as well. Beautiful episode...and I gave it a 9! :thumbsup:

P.S. However, this was one more reason that Crockett should have stayed with Gina! :baby: ;) 

Edited by ViceFanMan
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...

It's interesting seeing a young Helena Bonham Carter here, acting in a contemporary role at a time when she was more famous for period movies like Lady Jane and A Room With a View.  But "young" is the operative word - Only 20 at the time, she looks barely adolescent with her puppy-fat features, so it makes her bed scenes with Don Johnson really uncomfortable to watch.  She nevertheless does a good acting job as do Richard Chaves, Michele Shay and the legendary Brad Dourif. (Although he's underused.)

Fight Club fans take note: Not only is Bonham Carter in this episode, but so is Zach Grenier.  He's the snotty IA guy here and later Edward Norton's bewildered boss in FC.

I like the Hammer music cue with the staccato strings; very Vivaldi. "Wasteland" by The Mission is a good car-chase track.   Tubbs has some good scenes as he works on Crockett's behalf after Sonny is suspended.  Maybe Tubbs' dunking Calvin Levels' Rudy's face in a toilet isn't proper procedure, but it sure was gratifying as Rudy is such a smug manipulator. 

This should have been a more powerful episode than it was.  As it is, it's just OK. 

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
On 1/17/2020 at 10:52 PM, ViceFanMan said:

There very likely could be programs where doctors and nurses who have reported addictions, are allowed to still work with strict supervision.  Perhaps this is what Theresa was in?  However, I don’t really remember that part being brought up in the episode.  But, if she had been warned by the medical board, I figured it was probably for mis-use of prescription painkillers—which is what she originally got addicted to. If they knew she was shooting up “smack” in the hospital, trust me she’d have been gone, LOL! 

There ARE programs such as I described--not "very likely are".  The episode didn't get specific about whether Theresa was in such a program.  We aren't really informed about that, and as with most medical details on any TV show, their adherence to real life is sketchy--just like with most actual professions portrayed on TV for entertainment, including police work.  But, I was trying to suggest a scenario that could happen.

Whether she was in a program or not, I'm telling you that state medical boards which have gone so far as to issue warnings to physicians about overuse of prescribed medication will keep a sharp eye out.  That physician's prescribing practices will be scrutinized and monitored, and the board(s) do have ways of disciplining the physician that will impact their license.  

And yes, if she had been found to be shooting up "smack" (no matter where she was) her license would most likely have been immediately revoked.  

• Like 2

22 hours ago, vicegirl85 said:

There ARE programs such as I described--not "very likely are".  The episode didn't get specific about whether Theresa was in such a program.  We aren't really informed about that, and as with most medical details on any TV show, their adherence to real life is sketchy--just like with most actual professions portrayed on TV for entertainment, including police work.  But, I was trying to suggest a scenario that could happen.

Whether she was in a program or not, I'm telling you that state medical boards which have gone so far as to issue warnings to physicians about overuse of prescribed medication will keep a sharp eye out.  That physician's prescribing practices will be scrutinized and monitored, and the board(s) do have ways of disciplining the physician that will impact their license.  

And yes, if she had been found to be shooting up "smack" (no matter where she was) her license would most likely have been immediately revoked.  

I don’t think anyone doubts the programs...just “figure of speech” with my wording before. I’ve known some people in the medical field in the past, that had problems with prescription pain killers. They got treatment while still being allowed to keep their license. 

However, like it’s been stated, we don’t know if Theresa was in one of those? But, the thing is...she wasn’t using prescription drugs anymore, as she had gone through too many prescriptions already & they were no longer allowing her to obtain them. So, she sadly turned to street drugs/“smack”. 

I find it hard to believe that any state’s medical board is going to allow her to continue to practice medicine, and keep her license, while using illegal street drugs...and at the end of the episode it basically eluded to her losing her license.

MV was not a show that focused on “realism” or realistic situations, by any means. ;) The whole premise was basically a visual & audio fantasy, of something we wish could be. But, there are realistic aspects here-n-there, and I do think Theresa’s addiction & how everything transpired in the episode was definitely more realistic than some of the other episodes. 

Edited by ViceFanMan

1 hour ago, vicegirl85 said:

Don't forget the DEA would likely have been sniffing around as well if she was prescribing controlled substances.

The whole Theresa thing always felt very contrived to me, even for Vice. But I think the whole intent was simply to show Sonny falling (one again) for one of the players (even if he didn't know she was one). No matter how hard he tried to crawl out of the life, it always seemed to drag him back in. I think that's why I ended up creating Jenny...she was a player who got out for him. There wasn't anything to explain or hide.

• Like 3

21 hours ago, Robbie C. said:

Don't forget the DEA would likely have been sniffing around as well if she was prescribing controlled substances.

The whole Theresa thing always felt very contrived to me, even for Vice. But I think the whole intent was simply to show Sonny falling (one again) for one of the players (even if he didn't know she was one). No matter how hard he tried to crawl out of the life, it always seemed to drag him back in.

True...the DEA would likely become involved once they learned she was using street/illegal drugs. But, before that when she was still using legal prescription drugs, they probably weren’t informed yet. The hospital and/or medical board would have tried to get Theresa help & treatment first, before contacting law enforcement.

The character & situation of Theresa always seems heartfelt & realistically tragic to me...but, I agree...she was created to be another relationship of Crockett’s that turned out to be destructive and not feasible.

However, they also usually seemed to portray Crockett’s impulsiveness & not exactly going about his relationships very maturely, either. ;) But, Theresa was different...sadly, if it weren’t for her addiction, I think Theresa could have been his best shot at a genuine & “real” one (since Gina, that is).

Edited by ViceFanMan

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

The action stuff seemed a bit unrealistic at the the beginning, I mean Stan and Rico running through paned glass doors and Sonny totally destroying both of the front doors to the home like he was the Hulk lol

Whoever came up with sequence needed a rethink.

Edited by RedDragon86
  • Like 1