Episode #60 "Theresa"

Ferrariman

• 1 year later...
Guest neworder

This episode starts well, stunning intro sequence and great music from Jan Hammer (Theresa theme). Erm ... then it all get's to be a bit ridiculous, the story is over the top, no way would she get away with 2 years probation giving that information to drug dealers, I wonder what the families of the 3 dead cops would think of that. Also IAD were a bit nice to Crockett in all fairness. Helen Bonham Carter is irritating to add to the ridiculousness and I also hate the over the top tense style Hammer music in this one, at least the Theresa theme get's in there a few times. Things get better in the middle with the ocean drive scene + mini car chase + good music and also the scene with Tubbs in the toilet. There are too many other boring bits for me though.So another mixed bag episode from Season 3, and another lackluster grading from me.6/10

Theresa is an excellent episode. Extremely well written with an original storyline which makes it very interesting to watch. The style, action, music of this ep are all top notch. A first rate episode in many ways.It gets off to a good start with an entertaining intro. Wyatt’s house looks nice, there’s a good shootout and the yeyo getting dumped from the chopper is cool to see.A criticism that’s often levelled at this episode is that the audience can’t get involved with Sonny’s plight because his relationship with Theresa came out of nowhere, but the ep is written and executed so well I can still enjoy it. DJ’s performance is excellent. He conveys so much. Euphoria before he intends to pop the question to Theresa then pain, hurt, anger and confusion at her betrayal. DJ is excellent throughout this episode, especially when he confronts Theresa and she reveals she’s a drug addict, the scene with the female doctor in the rehab centre and his final scene with Theresa. DJ’s work here is among his best work on the show. He really is a very talented actor.There’s a fantastic Ocean Drive sequence in this ep. Great chase. I dig the nice Lotus in that scene. A very good song in ‘Wasteland’ by The Mission and a good shootout between Crockett and Arzola. The shootout and explosion at warehouse was also a very good sequence. About HBC. Her performance as Theresa is good enough. She is a well regarded actress. She’s a bit of a Keira Sh!teley type. Wooden with an upper class English accent. She and Crockett had good chemistry and their relationship was believable.Rent-a-slimeball Brad Dourif really scores as Wyatt. He was excellent as always, especially in the scene where he gets in Crockett’s face (“I’ll cut your skagged out squeeze’s head off “). The fight scene was good, even though you could clearly see the stuntman’s face.Excellent music. Jan Hammer excelled himself with some lovely new tunes.Nice ending. A despondent Crockett on stakeout saying “All quiet on this sideâ€. A quiet end to a turbulent episode for Sonny. Excellent episode. One of the best eps of season 3. 9/10

I really like this episode.Although I have to agree with Tommy Vercetti that the releations ship between theresa and Sonny comes out of the blue so in the beginning you have get into the story. But because the ep is wel written and played by the actors it doesn't matter.I really liked the scene were Sonny confronts Theresa with the evidence!DJ really acted out all emotions this ep and played them well!!8/10 for me!

In the last episode, Sonny leaves this chic on his boat when called to an assignment. I never heard her name. All of a sudden, in this episode he is ready to propose to Theresa & even bought the ring. I could understand his marriage to Caitlan, since his falling in love with her was developed in the episodes. Theresa came out of left field & Crockett is in love. This came as a real shock to me. She is no where as pretty as Caitlan, but she does have an English accent. Something about accents seems to attract Sonny. Theresa even has a slight uni-brow which is ugly to me. Fortunately, Sonny finds out about her drug addiction before he gave her the ring, which sat on his dash board for him to contemplate how close he came to making a big mistake. There were some exciting scenes , car chase etc. and Crockett's clothes looked good. But this episode left me cold mainly because I can't stand Theresa. I give it a 4. By the way, he said he loved her & sends her up to Hartford for Rehab. but I don't remember him ever seeing her again or mentioning her in later episodes. Anybody ?????

• Administrators

I'll give you a hint, there is only one member that rated both eps a 10. The rest are different members so I guess we have a varied group that just loves Vice. :thumbsup:

I'm not huge on the Crockett/Tubbs romantic subplots but here is where it's actually put to good use. Brad Douriff makes a welcome appearance alongside Helena Bonham Carter as Crockett's drug-addicted girlfriend who winds up landing him in hot water. The Mission UK's song "Wasteland" here is awesome as was the amount of action. Overall the romantic stuff still kind of feels blah to me but I'd still say it's a solid watch and deserves an 8/10.

Edited by agent 47
New review due to Blu-ray viewing.

Guest neworder

Two perfect "10's".....again. :rolleyes::)

3 people now. Can whoever has voted this a 10 please write a few comments as to why? I'm not saying your not entitled to your opinion, I truly actually want to read why you think it's a 10/10 episode. Please enlighten me with your justifications.

By the way' date=' he said he loved her & sends her up to Hartford for Rehab. but I don't remember him ever seeing her again or mentioning her in later episodes. Anybody ?????[/quote']He makes reference to her later in "By Hooker by Crook" when he says "First a Junkie now a Hooker. I think i've been in the business too long. I'm startin to fall for the players!".He must have dropped her like a hot potato when she went into Rehab. Bad Sonny!

He must have dropped her like a hot potato when she went into Rehab. Bad Sonny!

Mayby I interpetred the last scene with Theresa wrong but I thought they both knew at that time that it wasn't ment to be. Sadly sometimes love isn't enough.

Mayby I interpetred the last scene with Theresa wrong but I thought they both knew at that time that it wasn't ment to be. Sadly sometimes love isn't enough.

Yes, that's one way of looking at it. It was quite an ambiguous scene really. The scriptwriters didn't really explicitly make it clear during that scene whether or not the relationship was over, or if Crockett and Theresa were just going through a tough time trying to work out how they were going to get through this situation as a couple. I think the ambiguity was deliberate, as it left both options free for the character to come back again in the future or disappear forever.

Theresa original review 12 July 2007 at 10:15pmI really like this episode from Season 3. I'd rate it an 8.5. I love Jan's Theresa music. That's always been one of my favorite pieces of music. This episode shows us a playful Sonny a happy Sonny which we had a clue from the last episode when we learned that this particular woman had Sonny's trust to stay on the St. Vitus Dance even when he was not there, so we're not that surprised to see in the beginning of this episode (after the beginning credits), that he's comfortable with working on police work while she's comfortably reading her medical journals. Each is comfortable with the other. It's also apparent that it's serious between them because Theresa alludes to feeling her ring finger being measured. Sonny also admits while, still on the stakeout, that Since he's been with Theresa he hasn't sen or used his little black book (in other words hasn;t seen anyone else for weeks) . Rico is aware of this because evidently Sonny and him have been working overtime so Sonny can afford to buy Theresa a nice engagement ring. The whole discussion of the ring shows the seriousness of Sonny's intensions and feelings for this woman. It makes her betrayal of his trust, and the surprise that she's a junkie, even more of a surprise and heartache for Sonny to take. This is a very good example of DJ's acting ability from going to the heights of happiness with Theresa, buying and showing Rico the ring and expecting that night to propose, to the depths of anger and sadness and horror at what transpired at the warehouse and Theresa's role in it. It also shows his loyalty, by talking of taking another job rather than Vice, hugging Theresa, and telling her we'll work through it. Interrogating her, but explaining that he wants to help her, and asking her what else can he do he loves her. Once Sonny falls in love he's committed until there's no other way out but to let her go to Hartford for her own good, and his. What I love about this episode is you have Sonny's personal story, but you also have the case. Everything from a Stakeout getting blown by some citizen, to a chase on Ocean Drive to brief court scenes in interesting looking courtrooms, to tangling with IAD again. Also we see Rico and Sonny's partnership in full swing. Rico talks to his partner even though IAD warns Rico that some of it might fall on him if he doesn't stay away from his partner. This doesn't faze Rico. He still calls Crockett when he finds out where Arzola is even though Trudy reminds him that Sonny is on suspension. I also like it when Sonny kicks the garbage can again. I know he was a wide receiver, but sometimes I think he could have been a kicker! I don't know Wasteland (is that the name of the song) very well but it seemed a good choice for the Ocean Drive chase scene. It was fun for me to actually recognize Ocean Drive landmarks and compare them to now days. Notice that Rico and Stan are waiting by the Cardozo for Arzola to come out of the Carlyle. Now a question: Were those two girls just waiting for this creep Arzola to run in front of them. They look like they're crawling down the street and then all of a sudden Accelerate and hit him even though there's a gun fight going on! This makes me ask the question: Was this really an accident or were one of the two girls paid or knew Wyatt or someone who worked for Wyatt and got rid of Arzola for him so that no one would have a witness connecting Wyatt to the ware house job? After all Rudi knew that Arzola was cooling at the Carlyle. Maybe Wyatt knew too. The first time I saw this episode I figured Theresa was going to have her medical license revoked and that she'd end up ODing. I still love the scene where Sonny takes Wyatt an old tape and gets Wyatt to admit he paid someone to do the warehouse. I like the way he fights in that scene but I still think that a smart lawyer could have pushed some due process issues let alone entrapment. I mean Sonny's knuckles had Wyatt's blood on them from punching him over and over again. I don't think Castillo was pleased that Sonny got so physical with Wyatt. His look when he tells Crockett that Theresa has OD'd she's at County seems to me that he silently repremanded Sonny but reluctantly told Sonny the news. Switek was correct Sonny was strung pretty tight during that scene. You could see Sonny holding back his feelings or trying to. Sonny just exploded after they got the confession by Wyatt on tape. Notice that the two closest people to Sonny (not counting Castillo) in the workplace went out to dinner, but Sonny didn't want anyone coming around to talk to him, he just wants to be alone to try and get over Theresa and perhaps for one more night to imagine what might have been. That ring symbolized hope & commitment, but now it was just a reminder of another failed dream. 12/21/2009 - I watched this episode again over the weekend. I still like this episode. I do think they could have set it up better though over a few episodes so that the audience would know about Theresa, maybe an off hand mention between Sonny and Rico about her. I hope that after the Warehouse got blown up, they changed their evidence keeping tactics, maybe not all the case evidence in one place, have a better guarding system, maybe surveillence from inside where anyone outside wouldn't seen anything special, but the people inside could see what was happening outside. It's also hard to believe that no matter how secret the location was of that warehouse that someone hadn't let it slip out somehow before Theresa coppied Sonny's evidence label. Where was Theresa when she OD'd in a car? In the scene where she was tying off, it looked like a sterring wheel was beside her! If she was in a car, how did Rico find her in time? I assume because of the sterring wheel she wasn't in her downtown office. I still think the two girls in the car running down Arzola was on purpose, and they got something out of it. Another part of that scene that bothers me, is that it didn't look like even though they did accellerate, they still were not going fast enough to cause Arzola to be dead, a broken limb perhaps, but dead? I'm going to have to lower my rating to a 8. I still like this episode, but it's not that well put together. However Sonny's story the partnership, & the scenery brings it up a bit, also it was interesting to here about how he proposed to Caroline and went for the gold bands because he was so broke. I liked the way Sonny told it. DJ put a lot of regret in that sentence of Sonny's even though Sonny was focused on Theresa, he couldn't help but feel bad he couldn't have given Caroline better.

• 4 weeks later...

This episode just makes the 7 mark for me. It has an entertaining beginning scenario, I just found that the rest of the episode concentrates too much on Sonny's squeeze for Theresa. A love story type episode is one thing, but this went a tad too far for my liking, lol.

• 2 weeks later...

This episode just aired on the Centric channel last night, and I missed the first 15 minutes or so. How did Theresa reveal the location of the warehouse? When Rico gave Sonny the wrapped up piece of paper that had been found as evidence at the site of the explosion, how did he arrive at the conclusion that Theresa had been involved?

• 2 weeks later...
This episode just aired on the Centric channel last night' date=' and I missed the first 15 minutes or so. How did Theresa reveal the location of the warehouse? When Rico gave Sonny the wrapped up piece of paper that had been found as evidence at the site of the explosion, how did he arrive at the conclusion that Theresa had been involved?[/quote']Rudy (the dreadlocked guy who's head Tubbs flushed down the toilet), was supposed to be the guy who was selling drugs to Theresa. Rudy also works for Wyatt (small world!). There was a scene where Rudy turns up at Theresa's hospital and pressurises her into giving him information about the whereabouts of an evidence storage Warehouse used by the police. This Warehouse contains evidence which is crucial in the case that Crockett has built up against Wyatt. Rudy is aware of who Theresa's boyfriend is, and asks her to provide him with the address of the Warehouse which can apparantly be located on the pages of any Miami Vice file (although you don't get to know how he knows that). He uses a two pronged approach by bribing her with drugs, and also threatens to tell her bosses about her habit.As for Crockett, after a piece of his case file is found at the site of the Warehouse explosion, Crockett deduces that as he has recently been working on the case at home, the only person who would have recently had access to his case files is Theresa. This fact is made explicit by a scene near the beginning of the episode where Theresa and Crockett are on his boat, they are laid on his bed, and he is working on the case while she is laid next to him. They have a conversation about the case during this scene.I thought that this was another solid season 3 episode. It also shows how depending on the circumstances, love can be destructive, as well as constructive.Great initial scenes, and the use of "Jewel" by Propaganda was great as they were a favourite 80's group of mine. I thought Arzola's estimate of "four minutes" was a bit specific though?I didn't think the use of HBC as Crockett's girlfriend was necessarily a good choice as she just didn't seem Crockett's type, especially considering he'd fallen in love with her as well. I think the main reason was that she seemed too young for starters (HBC was 19 and Don 37 when this was filmed).It's funny how in tv dramas of this era, you always know when something bad is going to happen because things are going too well. Crockett's clearly got too much positivity going on in his life. He's in love, about to propose, and he's got Wyatt banged to rights, and he was smug about it. It was only a matter of time before it all came crashing down to earth.I thought that DJ's acting was good in this episode, and he really seemed to be giving it his all. I thought HBC was struggling though. I remember an article that was written in the paper at the time this episode was shown, based on an interview with HBC which confirmed this. Apparantly Don and HBC were performing "a particularly difficult scene" (my guess is when they are standing next to the Testarossa arguing about it all), and Don was getting frustrated by HBC's acting. He apparantly shouted at her "Don't you ever do that again, pull your socks up, Girl. I try and give my best and I expect everyone else to". Luckily, HBC agreed. I thought the finale scene was a classic, especially Wyatt's face in Crockett's, giving him abuse, and the fact that Crockett took on 3 or 4 guys immediately afterwards. His explosion of violence was yet another reason why his relationship with Theresa was a destructive one. I like how Castillo walks in immediately afterwards and doesn't even care, no reprimand about Police brutality and possible Civil suits?How the scriptwriters got rid of the character was very cleverly done. Crockett's advice to Theresa about joining the programme up North (effectively ending their relationship), made it look like he was dumping her, but the way it was portrayed, Crockett was only doing it for her own good. Although at first she took exception, she ended up agreeing with him as well! Once again, Crockett doesn't look like the bad guy.I'll give this episode 8.5 out of 10.

• 7 months later...

I know there's already a thread going on the biggest tearjerker episode, but Theresa wasn't included and it gets my vote.I cried my eyes out after the end scene, with Crockett alone in his car with the diamond ring on the dashboard. Theresa never knew that he was going to propose to her. Reminded me of how Sonny never found out the following year that Caitlin was pregnant, only after she dies ... or how Rico never finds out that his baby son lived the Calderone hit.And in the end, the way Sonny tells Switek over the radio, "All quiet over here," and then how the "Executive producer -- Michael Mann" credit shows up, gave me chills down my spine as well as tears in my eyes. It made me think immediately of MV '06 and how utterly devoid that film was of anything resembling the emotions played forth in Theresa, from DJ's acting, to Jan Hammer's sweet theme song for this episode, for Tubbs' concern for Sonny. I understand why Bonham Carter's age becomes an issue for people, playing a doctor at just 20 years old, but still, count me as another member who gives it a 10. :clap:

I share Tony's point of view....Don's ready to get married with a chick we didnt even hear about before !!!My only interest for this episode is Jan Hammer's "Theresa"

• 4 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Never been a fan of this one, after another look for my current rewatch, I still hate it.DJ and Homewrecker Bonham Carter were dull as dishwater together.:sick::sick::sick:3/10

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I never thought I'd say this, but give me Caitlin any day over Theresa! Just as bad as that french woman! She looked WAY too young for him, fine for a one nighter but marrying her??? At first I thought she was a med student; didnt buy her being a doctor at all. I've seen almost all episodes now (again since the 80's) and overall it looks to me like Tubbs had the better women, better looking and better acting. I wonder why they couldnt find any better ones for DJ back then. Except for Julia Roberts; I was soo disappointed that her part was so small! :cry:Anyhow, DJ's acting was great :thumbsup:,the story was good, would have been much better with a different actress, so since I'm so annoyed by Theresa this only gets a 6 from me :p

• Like 1

• 11 months later...
I never thought I'd say this' date=' but give me Caitlin any day over Theresa! Just as bad as that french woman! She looked WAY too young for him, fine for a one nighter but marrying her??? At first I thought she was a med student; didnt buy her being a doctor at all. I've seen almost all episodes now (again since the 80's) and overall it looks to me like Tubbs had the better women, better looking and better acting. I wonder why they couldnt find any better ones for DJ back then. Except for Julia Roberts; I was soo disappointed that her part was so small! :cry:[/quote']Maybe he really just wanted to adopt her????Yep, I agree, in regards to all his ladies lol -they threw him some reall granades....It was almost unreall that good looking guy would be going with such creatures...:rain: