Ferrariman

Episode #60 "Theresa"

Detective_Crockett    387
Detective_Crockett

10, it's a good episode...I like it, this is one of the many episodes of Sonny getting hurt by relationships, strong character development..but I do agree, it came out of nowhere the whole relationship.

Spyder    36
Spyder

10, it's a good episode...I like it, this is one of the many episodes of Sonny getting hurt by relationships, strong character development..but I do agree, it came out of nowhere the whole relationship.

TV shows from that time seemed to act in a time warp: a new show each week, but with months and months of time in between them, so we can assume Sonny met Theresa and they started dating since the conclusion of the prior week's show. (Though, to be fair, we did see her in the beginning of The Savage.)

I never thought they were matched well. A vice cop with a doctor too young to be a doctor? Then again, they never really gave Crockett good love interests. Still, I like the episode. I have a thing for tearjerker episodes that give me a lump in my throat. By the last scene, when Sonny's got the engagement ring on the dashboard, you can really feel his pain. At this point, it's evident that his profession causes him to lose people and opportunities in his life, and we can all relate to that in some way. 

Edited by Spyder
  • Like 1

damrod    67
damrod

No one every realizes the sacrifices that people make to be in their chosen profession.

AndrewRemington    74
AndrewRemington

Amazing episode.  I don't watch this one too often because it actually makes me tear up every time.  You really have to applaud Don's performance in this episode!  So much passion, vigor and expression!  And it's made obvious that he really was in love with Theresa.  I'm just disappointed that she never came back.  Maybe people would have liked her more than Caitlin as Sonny's wife?  I like Caitlin, but I know a lot of people don't.

DeepCover333    186
DeepCover333

Magnificent episode. I've been watching every week on my yearly rewind of the entire series, but haven't kept up on reviews. HBC is amazing in this, and so is Donnie Wayne Johnson. Heart pulling moments, beautiful shots of those two. And Sonny beating the *ahem* Shit out of Wyatt! Solid season 3 gold, and another hint of the meltdown we will see in season 4.

8/10

• Like 1

ArtieRollins    194
ArtieRollins

I guess most things have been already said about this episode before, anyway I remember parts of it and that it had both Helana Bonham Carter and Brad Dourif in it and of course Hammer's beauitful score. I went in thinking it would be yet another poor, mediocre romantic dud, but it surprised me big time. Don Johnson does some of his best acting in season 3, and even the lovely Bonham Carter, very young here, is great as Theresa. Some of the shots, especially at night with the neon Miami skyline is beautiful, and I could watch the scene where Crockett and Theresa are having a go at each other, along with Hammer's haunting music playing in the background. all day long. 

I was almost ready to hand out a strong 8/10 but as with Down For The Count Part 2, the last minutes kind of ruined it, Crockett gets superhuman powers and takes out what 3 or 4 bad guys within a second, and you have one of the worst looking stunt-doubles I have seen since The A-Team were you had a clearly thin, small white guy with a hilarious badly made wig is trying to fool its viewer as B.A. Baracus, (almost as bad as the stuntguy that shortly replaces Tubbs in the end of the episode mentioned above). It felt so rushed, like they run out of ideas or money, and just said "Screw it, nobody will notice, right?" I guess I am being to harsh, but the episode deserved a better ending, not one that looked like it was from a b-movie. 

7,5/10

Edited by ArtieRollins

Remington    127
Remington

A mixed bag for me.

Helena Bonham Carter was hella cute. I especially love the scene between her and DJ at night with the skyline in the background.

Hammer's score is great as usual.

I like Tina Turner so it was cool to see Tim Capello.

Brad Dourif was good as usual.

Onto the weak aspects.

Honestly the Crockett in love plots get pretty tiresome after a while. I couldn't effing stand Rudy. What's the deal with the courthouse sets in S2 and S3. In the other seasons, they look normal.

The climax I didn't really care for.

One of those episodes that kinda runs out of steam for me.

Really sad ending.

6/10

ViceFanMan    198
ViceFanMan
On 5/3/2013 at 11:54 PM, ViceFanMan said:

I really love this episode! "Theresa" is a very deep and emotional one for Crockett...and I thought Don and Helena Bonham Carter did superb acting jobs! :clap:Some have claimed Theresa came out of almost nowhere and suddenly Crockett was wanting to marry her. Well...most of Crockett's girlfriends came out of left field and were soon gone. :flowers: 

Most were also only on 1 episode...where Theresa was in 2! Crockett was thinking of marrying Brenda in "Nobody Lives Forever", and was supposedly serious with Sarah in "Yankee Dollar"--yet we only saw them in those one episodes. Theresa was introduced to use the episode before "Theresa", in "Duty and Honor". The writers were laying the groundwork for the character and I think they did an awesome job!

The plot, acting, directing, colors, fashion, action, car chases, gun battles, music, etc...were all captivating. :glossy: Jan Hammer had some awesome songs in this too...but then again he always did! :radio:Brad Dourif was a superb "scuzz ball" as whacked-out drug dealer Wyatt. He truly made that role and was a perfect character actor! I loved his line to Crockett when he got in his face towards the end: "I’ll cut your skagged out squeeze’s head off ".  Does half of that even make sense? ?( The dude looked half "fried" on his own product most of the time.

I loved Helena Bonham Carter and her English accent, and thought she was beautiful! :happy: I really wish she could have stayed around for a while...would much rather have had her instead of Caitlin! :done: I also loved the showcasing of the Carlyle Hotel...showcased more here than even in the Pilot! The hotel is still standing and in use today! :D I love the car chase scene right after that, and the bad guys Lotus...Crockett's Testarossa was "cooler" :cool: , but the Lotus was an interesting choice.

This was a mesmerizing delve into one type of addict's life...the "functional" one. But, it also showed the other side of the chaotic and deadly lifestyle, of Wyatt and his druggie goons. It was a sad and tragic episode...but a captivating one as well. Beautiful episode...and I gave it a 9!

P.S. However, this was one more reason that Crockett should have stayed with Gina! :baby:

Just watched this episode again a few moments ago. This was my review a few years ago...not much has changed in my thoughts. I still really like this one, and still feel for the character Theresa. ;( She wanted so bad to be a good doctor, kick her habit, and live up to Crockett's expectations...but, like reality, drugs will destroy all of that. 

In a more goofy, sarcastic view...Crockett seems to have a thing for "dopers"...as Sarah (from Yankee Dollar) was into drugs as well--although trying to "mule" it in, but ended up OD-ing instead. :p In this episode, in reality, Sonny probably would have been demoted, or transferred out of the city to another dept, or possibly fired...as he had confidential open-ongoing case files around his girlfriend, and even let her read them! But, hey...this was Miami Vice and Sonny Crockett! :dance2:

Still really like and "feel" this episode though...season 3 isn't one of my favorite seasons (as a whole...although there are specific ones I really like) and so this episode is a pro for me when going through that season and/or show. :thumbsup:

P.S. Again...Crockett should have stayed with Gina! 

Edited by ViceFanMan
  • Like 2

vicegirl85    386
vicegirl85

Your review reminds me I need to re-watch this episode, which is one I've always liked for the characters and storyline.  I agree with pretty much everything you said, although knowing how young Helena Bonham-Carter was at the time always kind of messed with it for me.  In RL she was only about 21 years old at the time, way too young to have completed medical school.  Of course there's nothing wrong with playing a character who is older (or younger, for that matter), but it was just my own reaction.

It was still a great episode and it's so true that healthcare professionals can become addicted because they have easier access to addictive drugs.  Because they are educated and often very functional (as Theresa was) they can deceive themselves about their drug use and sometimes continue for a long time before those around them realize they have a problem.  I thought that aspect was treated very well.  

• Like 1

ViceFanMan    198
ViceFanMan
7 hours ago, vicegirl85 said:

Your review reminds me I need to re-watch this episode, which is one I've always liked for the characters and storyline.  I agree with pretty much everything you said, although knowing how young Helena Bonham-Carter was at the time always kind of messed with it for me.  In RL she was only about 21 years old at the time, way too young to have completed medical school.  Of course there's nothing wrong with playing a character who is older (or younger, for that matter), but it was just my own reaction.

It was still a great episode and it's so true that healthcare professionals can become addicted because they have easier access to addictive drugs.  Because they are educated and often very functional (as Theresa was) they can deceive themselves about their drug use and sometimes continue for a long time before those around them realize they have a problem.  I thought that aspect was treated very well.  

I knew Helena Bonham-Carter was younger than Don Johnson...but hadn't really ever bothered to look up how much younger...didn't know she was only around 21! :eek:  LOL! I figured close to 30.

But, yes I totally agree that the educated healthcare professionals becoming "functional" addicts was covered very realistically here, and this was a heart-touching episode. ;(

Edited by ViceFanMan
  • Like 1

Matt5    1,919
Matt5
59 minutes ago, ViceFanMan said:

I knew Helena Bonham-Carter was younger than Don Johnson...but hadn't really ever bothered to look up how much younger...didn't know she was only around 21! :eek:  LOL! I figured close to 30.

But, yes I totally agree that the educated healthcare professionals becoming "functional" addicts was covered very realistically here, and this was a heart-touching episode. ;(

I knew she was young but not that young! Don was around 37 and HBC 21 :hippie:

• Like 2