ANSWERS To Your JAN HAMMER MIAMI VICE Music Questions.

COOPER&BURNETT

Nope' date=' never talked to him personally. I've talked to his agent before.I've been collecting, and researching JAN HAMMER for 28 years.I've read every article I can about him, I have collected everything he has done since the modern synths came around in late 1983. I have quite a bit of knowledge on the subject, that is why I'm offering to answer questions. I don't pretend to know everything, as I don't, but I'm sure I know more than the average.I just want to help members ability to enjoy JAN HAMMER as much as possible.[/quote']I think it's a shame that there are so much unreleased music by Hammer from various films. A label like Varese Sarabande for instance has never released a Hammer-score, and this label has released over 1000 soundtracks up through the years, by hundreds of different composers. Why didn't they find the place for at least one Hammer-score?

I think it's a shame that there are so much unreleased music by Hammer from various films. A label like Varese Sarabande for instance has never released a Hammer-score' date=' and this label has released over 1000 soundtracks up through the years, by hundreds of different composers. Why didn't they find the place for at least one Hammer-score?[/quote']Good question.I've also wondered the same about la la land records and Intrada records. Intrada, I know prefers releasing Orchestral CD scores. Varese, and La La land Records usually are open to doing both. I wish Varese would at least bring out a JAN HAMMER score on it's CD CLUB label.I remember Jan once saying in an interview that one of the biggest problems, is that it's hard to find who actually own the music rights to many of his soundtracks. Take for instance, Secret Admirer. This was released in 1985 on the MCA label. That company was sold (perhaps switching hands a few times in the process), and the ownership is lost as to who actually owns the rights at this point. This was according to Jan himself. Below is that part of the interview:MK: I get many questions regarding the older LPs being released on CD? Any plans? JH: What happened was as I've gone through my career; I've been on many different labels and even when I stayed on a same label that label was sold and sold again (laughs). So basically in the three decades I have been putting out albums, almost each album is owned by someone else. Some companies are easy to approach; some others don't want to know about it, because they don't want to be bothered. Even though it could be an interesting thing for them because it's just sitting in a vault, it might as well be out there and sell a few copies especially, if it were to come out on CD. Where I'm getting, you know, we finally got â€Å“First Seven Daysâ€? which is one of my things that I am very proud of. Now, the next thing that is coming out very soon is going to be a double CD package. The two albums that came out in the 70s, â€Å“Black Sheepâ€?, and â€Å“Hammerâ€?. Those two are going to put together as two disks in a single package. It's going to have bonus track. When we did the song â€Å“(Oh) Pretty Womanâ€?, we also did a reggae version. I found the tape, and I am going to put it on as a bonus track. It's really great! As far as â€Å“Oh Yeahâ€? and Like Children, those are the ones that are harder to get rolling. But we are working on it Sooner or later, it will have to happen. I know that. MK: Any Possible soundtracks, like â€Å“We Come In Peaceâ€?? JH: Yeah, I don't know, again, it gets really hairy because when you do a movie soundtrack the rights are owned by the production companies. Some of these companies don't exist anymore; you don't even know where to go, but you still cannot use it freely. It's really a nightmare. It might be an interesting because there are bits, odds and ends that would be nice to release as some sort of compilation of music from movies. I haven't thought about it concretely, but it sounds interesting. Hopefully, someone will get to it, and get us more JAN HAMMER music! :thumbsup:

There is also a label called Perseverance Records which has released several synth scores by composers like Hans Zimmer (Rain Man), Paul Hertzog and Gary Chang. Would be perfect for a Hammer release. I don't know how much score material was in a movie like Secret Admirer, but surely there were more than the 4 minutes on the soundtrack. A straight re-issue of the song album is of limited interest to film score fans, I guess.Here is a cue I didn't know about:

A compilation of music from movies would have been fantastic, but also an album with a full score. Varese-releases may be as short as 30 minutes long, so scores like Beastmaster 3, In The Kingdom Of The Blind, Blood Money, Gimme An 'F' or Dark Angel would fit just great.And check out imdb's soundtrack listing for the 1997 film The Corporate Ladder. 4 Hammer-tracks are listed:http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0115946/soundtrack

• 6 years later...
On 3/9/2012 at 12:56 PM, COOPER&BURNETT said:
I think it's a shame that there are so much unreleased music by Hammer from various films. A label like Varese Sarabande for instance has never released a Hammer-score' date=' and this label has released over 1000 soundtracks up through the years, by hundreds of different composers. Why didn't they find the place for at least one Hammer-score?[/quote']Good question.I've also wondered the same about la la land records and Intrada records. Intrada, I know prefers releasing Orchestral CD scores. Varese, and La La land Records usually are open to doing both. I wish Varese would at least bring out a JAN HAMMER score on it's CD CLUB label.I remember Jan once saying in an interview that one of the biggest problems, is that it's hard to find who actually own the music rights to many of his soundtracks. Take for instance, Secret Admirer. This was released in 1985 on the MCA label. That company was sold (perhaps switching hands a few times in the process), and the ownership is lost as to who actually owns the rights at this point. This was according to Jan himself. Below is that part of the interview:MK: I get many questions regarding the older LPs being released on CD? Any plans? JH: What happened was as I've gone through my career; I've been on many different labels and even when I stayed on a same label that label was sold and sold again (laughs). So basically in the three decades I have been putting out albums, almost each album is owned by someone else. Some companies are easy to approach; some others don't want to know about it, because they don't want to be bothered. Even though it could be an interesting thing for them because it's just sitting in a vault, it might as well be out there and sell a few copies especially, if it were to come out on CD. Where I'm getting, you know, we finally got â€Å“First Seven Daysâ€? which is one of my things that I am very proud of. Now, the next thing that is coming out very soon is going to be a double CD package. The two albums that came out in the 70s, â€Å“Black Sheepâ€?, and â€Å“Hammerâ€?. Those two are going to put together as two disks in a single package. It's going to have bonus track. When we did the song â€Å“(Oh) Pretty Womanâ€?, we also did a reggae version. I found the tape, and I am going to put it on as a bonus track. It's really great! As far as â€Å“Oh Yeahâ€? and Like Children, those are the ones that are harder to get rolling. But we are working on it Sooner or later, it will have to happen. I know that. MK: Any Possible soundtracks, like â€Å“We Come In Peaceâ€?? JH: Yeah, I don't know, again, it gets really hairy because when you do a movie soundtrack the rights are owned by the production companies. Some of these companies don't exist anymore; you don't even know where to go, but you still cannot use it freely. It's really a nightmare. It might be an interesting because there are bits, odds and ends that would be nice to release as some sort of compilation of music from movies. I haven't thought about it concretely, but it sounds interesting. Hopefully, someone will get to it, and get us more JAN HAMMER music! :thumbsup:

As far as the unreleased soundtrack go and who owns the rights. I think there should be a system where someone can release a run of CD's or vinyl through a central authority - say American Music Association - and then the rights holders can approach them about financial compensation (in accordance with the cash that was earned against costs - to keep it equitable). 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Yarn Hammer said:

I have a question for you - did you know Jan Hammer has a new album coming out !?

Fantastic news - spread the word Yarn Hammer about Jan Hammer!:hippie::D

• Like 1

• 3 years later...

1. Was the piece that became the "Miami Vice Theme" composed and recorded before Jan Hammer got the Miami Vice job?

2. Was a large portion of his Miami Vice work really destroyed in an accidental fire in the early 2000s? 

3. Does anyone else absolutely love the piece when Crockett and Tubbs meet Grocero in the club in "Smuggler's Blues" as much as I do?

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, OCBman said:

1. Was the piece that became the "Miami Vice Theme" composed and recorded before Jan Hammer got the Miami Vice job?

2. Was a large portion of his Miami Vice work really destroyed in an accidental fire in the early 2000s? 

3. Does anyone else absolutely love the piece when Crockett and Tubbs meet Grocero in the club in "Smuggler's Blues" as much as I do?

1. Yes

2. Idk

3. Not sure, but it’s really great! :) 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Dadrian said:

@OCBman I can say Jan told me his copies of the MV music tapes were beyond use in degradation. ;(

Ah, okay. Sad, indeed.

Thank you, Dadrian!

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, OCBman said:

Ah, okay. Sad, indeed.

Thank you, Dadrian!

You’re welcome.

I offered to digitize them for him free of charge. That’s how I found out. 

I will just keep making covers… :) 

• Like 1

vor 6 Stunden schrieb OCBman:

1. as far as I can remember he said in an interview that he recorded it as his application piece for the MV composer selection process.

2. Due to press reports this Fire destroyed lots of master tapes of Movies, Series and even music from lots of artists signed to Universal. If Jan‘s master tapes (the ones he sent to Universal for laying in with the video after he composed it in his NY home) were included as well is not known. 
3. all of Jans cues are fabulous, this one has special mood on top. So I think you are far from being alone loving it! 

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

Jan's score for the Grocero meet is probably the most chilling of all the music he made for the show. Could've easily worked during a tense scene at the end of a slasher film of the time when the last teen is trying to hide from the killer.

• Like 1