PMT about acting in a film

2morgen

I too have never seen it before, it seems very amateuistic in it's poor camera work, sound, and sometimes long pauses. Neat to see him in a double breasted suit. He will always look great in one! :thumbsup:Thanks for posting!:clap:

• Like 1

• Administrators

The clip you posted is the intro of a movie named "Death Drug (Angel Dust)" from 1978 (---> click here for more infos about the movie)Eingefügtes BildPMT plays a young singer who becomes drug addicted. To speak seriously: The movie is not a star among the anti-drug movies :rolleyes: ... BUT: PMT plays his role at some point with enthusiasm and forcefulness ...Here you can watch a 3 minutes montage ...

http-~~-//www.youtube.com/watch?v=CcTAuXwvKFo

The clip you posted is the intro of a movie named "Death Drug (Angel Dust)" from 1978 (--->
Actually, it ´s impossible that this is the intro to a movie from 1978 because he mentions his role as Rico Tubbs.

Actually' date=' it ´s impossible that this is the intro to a movie from 1978 because he mentions his role as Rico Tubbs.[/quote'] He recorded the intro at the height of his fame on MV, think it had finally got a VHS release back then.

Isnt the three eye pmt on the cover from a clip in his famous album living the book of my life?

Looks like a shot from his video for Just the Way I Planned It.

Looks like a shot from his video for Just the Way I Planned It.

Yes you are correct! So it sounds like PMT tried to capitalize on MV fame to release to VHS a 78 movie he had the title role in.His buddy shot the intro on an amateur camcorder and he used a screen-grab of his video clip for the cover!Amazing! You can't say he didn't try his best. EGOT! EGOT!J.:D

• Administrators
He recorded the intro at the height of his fame on MV' date=' think it had finally got a VHS release back then.[/quote']Good investigation!! :thumbsup:IMDB.com claims that the movie is from 1978. If you watch the movie AND the "intro", you can hardly ignore that PMT is much younger in the movie. ERGO: The intro was shot later - but used to "push" the VHS/DVD ... That's (film) business as usual. :rain:

When it comes to capitalizing on MV fame, there's a stark contrast between what happened with DJ and PMT back then.Johnson was signed to Epic Records, his 1986 debut album spawned a top five single with Heartbeat. Believe it was Certified Gold, anyone know for sure?The video was in heavy rotation on MTV and was basically a short film Like MJ's Thriller. Plus heavy hitters like Bob Seeger and Tom Petty worked on the project. He starred in three major studio films during the show's original run. Appeared as "Ben Quick" in the 1985 NBC tv remake of The Long Hot Summer. To sum it up, the world was DJ's oyster back then.Once the show ended, Don went on to star on the CBS cop drama Nash Bridges. Also appeared in more feature films in the 90's.PMT also recorded an album, Living the Book of My Life.Judging from the video, doubt that he had the backing of a major record company like Johnson did. Appeared in two little known made-for-tv movies "A Fight for Jenny" and "False Witness"He didn't star/appear in any feature films during MV's original run on NBC. After the show ended, Thomas occasionally guest starred on a few tv shows. Then popped up on some Psychic Network for while, eventually getting replaced by Miss Cleo. Aside from the NB reunion with Don, he basically fell into obscurity and off the mainstream public's radar. Which was quite unfortunate, until the GTA VG series. Often wonder who was PMT's manager back then, perhaps they gave him bad advice?He was young, good looking and a decent actor with a screen presence. Movie scripts had to be coming his way as well.

• Like 1

I´ve heard that many jobs "around him" were taken by family members. His brother, George, worked as his bodyguard, his mother organized the fan club and took care for the fan mails. So, I could imagine that another family member was PMT´s manager.But I´ve also heard that PMT had decided to take more care of his career as a musician when MV ended. Music had always been a big and important part of his life.

• Like 1

I´ve heard that many jobs "around him" were taken by family members. His brother' date=' George, workes as his bodyguard, his mother organized the fan club and took care for the fan mails. So, I could imagine that another family member was PMT´s manager.But I´ve also heard that PMT had decided to take more care of his career as a musician when MV ended. Music had always been a big and important part of his life.[/quote']So that would account for so few acting jobs after MV.The transition to feature films was difficult for tv actors back then.But DJ still managed to get a few and was on the short list for "Elliott Ness" in DePalma's The Untouchables.PMT should've been able to get a few as well, maybe he wasn't interested. Anyway from what I've read in interviews, he seems to be quite happy with his life.In the end, that's all that matters.

A little Death Drug info:The film was originally released in 1978, pre-MV, obviously. I've heard it also referred to as Angel Dust and (from PMT's own mouth in a TV Guide interview, IIRC) Whack Attack, so it may have been circulated under one or both of those titles, maybe Death Drug was a retitle for video, I don't know. I assume after release the film was largely forgotten outside of High School Heath Classes (I know we watched things like this back in HS).Flash forward to 1985-1986: Miami Vice is all the rage, and someone dug this film back out for VHS release. PMT not only filmed a new intro and outro, but also additional scenes that are clearly not part of the original film, and in one case, even contradicts events in the original film: The actual music video for "Just The Way I Planned It" is slapped in the movie, along with fake newreports about it being the new hit single with kids, despite the fact that in the original movie PMT's character never makes it that big. I like PMT, but there's just no denying this is an awful, awful movie made even worse with the additional footage. I haven't seen the original "untampered" version, I'm sure it's also terrible but probably flows a bit better, relatively speaking. Anyway, here's a really good review of the film:http://www.pulsingcinema.com/reviews/deathdrug.html

So that would account for so few acting jobs after MV.The transition to feature films was difficult for tv actors back then.But DJ still managed to get a few and was on the short list for "Elliott Ness" in DePalma's The Untouchables.PMT should've been able to get a few as well' date=' maybe he wasn't interested. Anyway from what I've read in interviews, he seems to be quite happy with his life.In the end, that's all that matters.[/quote'] I got the same vibe from reading many articles about PMT. MV was the top of his career, he made his millions and pretty much did projects without much fear of failure after that. I read that he stayed in Miami and never moved to Hollywood which indicates he did not care that much (DJ just returned to California, that is why you start seeing him more on TV/movies).Here is an articles from 1992http://articles.baltimoresun.com/1992-06-11/features/1992163011_1_luna-philip-michael-thomas-miami-viceRecently he has been hanging out with Sandy Morais (fitness trainer). I wonder if they are together.PMT is such a character. I love his over positivism. If you read the way he describes his failed music album on IMDB, that is pretty hillarious:" Although much loved by fans to this day, his albums didn't sell as well as expected (perhaps due to a wide range of musical styles that defied pigeonhole) and remain out of print, although they often fetch a tidy sum on eBay."He still has a place in the entertainment industry if he really wanted to.thxJ.

"The actual music video for "Just The Way I Planned It" is slapped in the movie, along with fake newreports about it being the new hit single with kids"Wow. Thanks for the detailed info. It feels like he was managed by car salesman who were trying to make a few bucks out of him back then without any respect for his talent. That is a type of move from a C-list actor or washed out teen idol.J.

• Administrators
Often wonder who was PMT's manager back then' date=' perhaps they gave him bad advice?[/quote']In 1983 it seemed to be Kaye Porter (according to this article from 2005 ---> click!) and she still is. This fact makes me believe that there was no bad advice. Otherwise PMT would have fired her, wouldn't he? I agree with MrsEvanFreed:
PMT should've been able to get a few as well' date=' maybe he wasn't interested. Anyway from what I've read in interviews, he seems to be quite happy with his life. In the end, that's all that matters.[/quote']By the way: Sometimes it's great to check "well known" items again :birdie: Yesterday I took a look into the DVD again ... "Death Drug" has an outro as well ---> click to download!The credits reveal when the intro/outro were added to the video. It was in 1986 like LAR already stated.

post-92-13892963247946_thumb.jpg

When it comes to capitalizing on MV fame' date=' there's a stark contrast between what happened with DJ and PMT back then.Johnson was signed to Epic Records, his 1986 debut album spawned a top five single with Heartbeat. Believe it was Certified Gold, anyone know for sure?The video was in heavy rotation on MTV and was basically a short film Like MJ's Thriller. Plus heavy hitters like Bob Seeger and Tom Petty worked on the project. He starred in three major studio films during the show's original run. Appeared as "Ben Quick" in the 1985 NBC tv remake of The Long Hot Summer. To sum it up, the world was DJ's oyster back then.Once the show ended, Don went on to star on the CBS cop drama Nash Bridges. Also appeared in more feature films in the 90's.PMT also recorded an album, Living the Book of My Life.Judging from the video, doubt that he had the backing of a major record company like Johnson did. Appeared in two little known made-for-tv movies "A Fight for Jenny" and "False Witness"He didn't star/appear in any feature films during MV's original run on NBC. After the show ended, Thomas occasionally guest starred on a few tv shows. Then popped up on some Psychic Network for while, eventually getting replaced by Miss Cleo. Aside from the NB reunion with Don, he basically fell into obscurity and off the mainstream public's radar. Which was quite unfortunate, until the GTA VG series. Often wonder who was PMT's manager back then, perhaps they gave him bad advice?He was young, good looking and a decent actor with a screen presence. Movie scripts had to be coming his way as well.[/quote'] There seems to be no real rhyme or reason to how the TV/movie industry works the way it does. MV was definitely DJ's show, but PMT pretty much got equal screen time, but DJ became the star and PMT fell into complete obscurity. I can't understand why because both of them were very, very talented.PMT could have gone on to have a career like Denzel Washington. Instead, the best he did was hosting the psychic network and co-starring with Bud Spencer in a series of bad TV movies. :p

Instead' date=' the best he did was hosting the psychic network and co-starring with Bud Spencer in a series of bad TV movies. :p[/quote'] Maybe, it was the wrong decision to co - starring with Bud Spencer. To see him playing that stupid guy was very disappointing for a big fan like me.

If you read the way he describes his failed music album on IMDB' date=' that is pretty hillarious:" Although much loved by fans to this day, his albums didn't sell as well as expected (perhaps due to a wide range of musical styles that defied pigeonhole) and remain out of print, although they often fetch a tidy sum on eBay."[/quote']LOL awww! I've never seen any of his albums go for an especially high price. Vinyl & cassette (never issued on CD) copies of 1985's Living The Book Of My Life are pretty common; I grabbed a sealed cassette for $1 + s/h, I believe, and my vinyl wasn't much more. Now, CD copies of 1988's Somebody are actually pretty rare (and the vinyl is a bit scarce itself), and I paid a hefty sum for a used copy on Amazon years ago. But, despite being rare, not only have I seen CD editions on Ebay cheap, but I've seen them end with NO bids. Which is really too bad, because of the two albums, Somebody is actually decent. His debut, though, is IMO pretty awful, though it has it's moments as well.PMT really deserved better when it came to movies/TV and music. And yet, he's still extremely positive! That's awesome, you don't see that in too many stars, especially ones that enjoyed success on the same level as MV.
  • Like 1