Episode #59 "The Savage" ("Duty & Honor")

Ferrariman

One thing bugged me -so Savage cames back to the hotel, the receptionis sees his portrait, turns off the news, Savage takes his key, brief chat, goes back to his room, takes off the clothes, goest to the bathroom, washes off, turns on the tv -the news are still on, even better the same portrait and they are still talking about him...COME ON!!!! all that time and the news anchor woudn't skip to another story???? IT was like 10 minutes later!!!!!

• 3 months later...
The Savage is a top quality episode, not only because it's focused on Castillo.:happy::happy:A highly thrilling, mystic, creepy, violent and political plot is coupled with fantastic colour schemes, cool action, splendid fashion and great music.The teaser with the Saigon scenes is magnificent. Although it's set in the 70s in Saigon, the scenes are illuminated and filmed in a way that everybody knows that it is VICE!!:glossy:We see an unfamiliarly casual Castillo wearing a queue of hair - anyway totally contrary to Castillo in the 80s!!!Then there's a time leap to Miami in the 80s. And the murder happens in the same way as a murder in the 70s in Saigon. At this moment you know that it will be a thrilling episode.Moreover the interplay between EJO and Haing Ngor is exquisite.:clap: Both of them portray their character deeply mysterious and obscurely.Nobody guesses that Van Trengh isn't Van Trengh and I hold my breath when he throws the knife inside Coleman's breast. By the way, this scene is - as usual in Season 3 - very violent.Corresponding to Castillo and Van Trengh, "The Savage" is gloomy and eerie equally. He doesn't speak much, doesn't eat or drink - like a robot. He's one of the bad guys who could be dangerous for our heros.The scenes where Castillo and Van Trengh hunt "the Savage" inside the politican's house, are insanely thrilling. Persistently one waits that "The Savage" assaults them and then he attacks - and injure Castillo!!!:hot:Although this is really shocking, it's very realistic. I don't like TV-series where the protagonists are always invulnerable and arrest bad guys in the blink of an eye. It's much more plausible if they also get hurted.The last scene on the beach is again typical for VICE. Three man on the beach, apart from that is only the sea and sand. Remarkable is Castillo's casual outfit. He wears a linen shirt and white shorts. They exchange a few words, that's it.:happy:Besides the hunting plot, The Savage features a well made - car chase, attended by Anything by The Damned.:radio:It's noticeable that Season 3 shows relatively many car chases - which are in addition to that very expensively made. But that's another element of VICE which I don't want to miss. Furthermore I like the fact that the Vietnam-topic and the Asian-topic play a leading part. VICE also signifies internationality (e.g. KGB, Golden Triangle etc.) and especially Vietnam-plots are inexhaustible!:glossy:Concerning music, I enjoy Blood And Roses by The Smithereens and Jan Hammer's last score inside the house!:radio::radio:Concerning fashion and design, Sonny's blousons are - as ever - fabulous and the interior design of the Kenmore Hotel is outstanding!:happy:I wish I have such a living room!!!10 of 10 points!
  • Like 1

good story :thumbsup:, good music:thumbsup:, i find a verry good episode:thumbsup: unfortunately , this episode has been cut in germany.:thumbsdown::cry: i give 10 points

• 2 weeks later...

I always enjoy the Castillo episodes and this one was pretty good. Haing Ngor was hard to understand (thank you subtitles) but did a pretty good job. He won an Oscar for "The Killing Fields" a few years before this episode which is pretty impressive. Sadly, in February of 1996, Ngor was found shot to death in the garage of his apartment building in Los Angeles. Relatives and friends speculated that the killing was revenge for his involvement in Cambodia. Michael Wright and Brad Sullivan did great jobs also. I gave it a 7/10.

• 8 months later...

I love this one...a very "dark" and even gorier episode than usual. The plotline, acting, and directing were awesome and kept you captivated throughout! :clap: Not sure if "The Savage" was the original working title...then it was later changed to "Duty and Honor"? But, I'd always known it as "Duty"...but later found out it was also known as "The Savage"--which actually fits better in my opinion.The action with the car chase and gun play were awesome and you never knew what The Savage would do next...that dude was freaky and seriously vicious!! :eek: Michael Wright did a superb job of portraying a psychotic and mentally disturbed killer! I really liked Castillo's past with this one, and tying in with the present murders. Coleman was the true "savage" and I loved the end when he gets the knife in the chest. :cool: The Savage was just Coleman's "savage" weapon for his own sick assassinations. :sick: Coleman also irritated the crap out of me every time he mispronounced Castillo's name, like some "hick"---actually pronouncing the L's instead of using the E sound! :evil: The music in this one was superb as well, with Anything by The Damned, Blood and Roses by Smithereens, White Rabbit by Jefferson Airplane, and some Jan Hammer music is always perfect! :radio:Cool filming locations in this one too...and I love the end scene where Crockett and Tubbs meet Castillo on the beach with a letter from his friend. The beach, water, and sky were so gorgeous they were almost surreal! :glossy:This was also the introduction to, and the first episode that included Crockett's new girlfriend Dr. Theresa Lyons. She was probably the only other girl besides Gina that Crockett dated, that was hot! :happy::) His other girlfriends always seemed to be somewhat...strange looking. :rolleyes: Anyway, I really thought Helena Bonham Carter, who played Theresa, was beautiful and wish she could have stayed on longer...but as we all know the very next episode, "Theresa" which focused on her, did not have that come about. :cry:But, this one's a wild and mesmerizing one...I gave it an 8! :thumbsup:

• Like 1

• 2 years later...

Great episode. Always liked the pony tail Castillo flashback. Once again the series does a fantastic job of presenting yet another unique villain. The moment Sonny first spots him on the street is magnificent. The music is amazing, intense mood. I enjoy that much of this one is filmed at night, while the ending beach segment is beautiful bright sun drenched gold. There may be a couple of plot issues that could have been developed more, but this one ranks as a strong installment in season three.

One thing bugged me -so Savage cames back to the hotel, the receptionis sees his portrait, turns off the news, Savage takes his key, brief chat, goes back to his room, takes off the clothes, goest to the bathroom, washes off, turns on the tv -the news are still on, even better the same portrait and they are still talking about him...COME ON!!!! all that time and the news anchor woudn't skip to another story???? IT was like 10 minutes later!!!!!

I never had a problem with this. Earlier in the episode it is expressed that the sketch was going out to news outlets, so in this scene it is conceivable that the Savage had different local news channel on his television than the one the front desk clerk was watching. This other channel could have been just airing their report, or if it had really been "10 minutes", very possible the same channel could be showing it again, perhaps as they were ending the telecast as a recap. This was a high profile case.

I do, in fact have a little more problem with why he killed the desk clerk. If he was worried about her calling the authorities and getting caught, it would have been much more advantageous to just depart as quickly as possible. By murdering her, he made it bleeding obvious (pun intended) that he had been there.

Also, in light of Castillo's skills of perception and fighting, it seems unlikely he would slip up and allow himself to get stabbed. But I suppose that we all have a bad day on occasion. 

Again, great episode! 8/10

I rewatched this episode not long ago. While always jazzed by its great music and nice atmosphere since watching it when it originally aired, it had special resonance with me now living in East/Southeast Asia. Coming to understand the complexity of the Vietnam war as an adult (I was 16 when I first watched the episode), I was touched by Hang S. Ngor's (RIP) portrayal of the character (the actor himself a vocal proponent of nonviolence). The greedy folly of war being laid bare in an otherwise unabashedly action-driven show left me with eyes watering by the episode's end.

Anyone who dismisses MV as 80's bubble gum pop TV should be reintroduced to the series with episodes like this.

• Like 5

Great episode!  Very exhilarating!  Everything about it top notch.  Very cinematic.

It awesome to see Castillo back in the day with the ponytail and clean shave.  I wonder how they did that?  Did they cover his upper lip?  You don't just grow back a mustache like that in a week.

"Anything" by The Damned and "Blood & Roses" by The Smithereens are two great tracks!

Edited by AndrewRemington
  • Like 1

• 1 year later...

If it weren't for Shadow and Debts, this would probably be the best of S3. Truly everything is superb.

First off, the Savage is a stone cold bastard. Love it. The Blood and Roses montage is awesome. One of my favorite songs too.

The entire episode is very dark. In a non depressing way. Extra point there.

One of the best climaxes. Hammer's score and the cinematography are both perfect. I especially love the shot of the Savage turning and walking away from the body at the door.

The first couple car stunts before the car chase were bad. The actual chase was good.

The final scene is beautiful. Once again gotta agree with ViceFanMan. It was almost surreal.

It's a serious shame that the blue filters weren't restored on the BR. It looked gorgeous. Almost like Manhunter.

This could've been a two parter.

9.5/10

• Like 3

• 1 year later...

This was an episode I had only seen once prior to my second rewatch. However, it was a memorable one. Its fantastic, I really enjoyed the plot twists and music. Michael Wright played the role quite well, he was legitimately threatening! 

Edited by Rattlehead

• 2 weeks later...

This has always been one of my favorite Castillo episodes. It's also one of the more accurate when it comes to dealing with the Vietnam War, which is a plus for me also.

• Like 2

• 7 months later...

Watched this again last night. Its one of the show's greatest episodes and maybe the best one in season 3.

10/10.

Edited by RedDragon86
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, RedDragon86 said:

Watched this again last night. Its one of the show's greatest episodes and maybe the best one in season 3.

10/10.

Completely 10+ out of 10:cheers:

• 8 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Maybe everyone knows but me, but the doctor at the VA in The Savage episode is the same guy as the redneck right-hand to Palmo in Honor Among Thieves?

I never would have recognized him, except he turned up as the husband while watching one of my favorite 80s Christmas movies tonight (One Magic Christmas - on Disney+...I highly recommend :thumbsup:), I thought I recognized him from season 3 and checked his wiki. Then I saw he was also Cyrus! :hot:

vor 5 Stunden schrieb Dadrian:

Maybe everyone knows but me, but the doctor at the VA in The Savage episode is the same guy as the redneck right-hand to Palmo in Honor Among Thieves?

I never would have recognized him, except he turned up as the husband while watching one of my favorite 80s Christmas movies tonight (One Magic Christmas - on Disney+...I highly recommend :thumbsup:), I thought I recognized him from season 3 and checked his wiki. Then I saw he was also Cyrus! :hot:

Yeah, Gary Basaraba. 

There is also another guy in these scenes who shows up in another episode. If you haven´t recognized: the blonde veteran who tells them why the Savage hates women and that he was severly hurt by one prostitute is played by James L. Silverman. He will appear in "Hard Knocks" as one of the two main thugs of Goodman who roughes up Switek (the other is Joe Hess, a police martial arts trainer who played villains in all 5 seasons including that he killed off Zito).

Thanks for the compliment.

Yes, I make these and put them on YouTube. It's fun to see how much passion 'Miami Vice' fans still have for the show.

My earlier ones are a little embarrassing, but I think I've gotten better. Anyway, I enjoyed the discussion here, so I thought I'd add this to the mix.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
On 12/8/2009 at 2:23 PM, Tony D. said:

The "Savage" got a new name "Duty & Honor". I wouldn't call this one of my favorites, but it was an interesting episode because of Castillo's mystique. I wonder if his ponytail in 'Nam was real or a wig? The serial killer was a real sick person, but Colman turned out to be a sick savage also. I liked the car chase but there wasn't enough Sonny & Rico in this for me. The ending confused me. I thought Espinoza was killed but it must have been his bodyguard. Castillo with all his training, went around the doorway with his back to it & got stabbed. Didn't seem likely. I rate this a 6 . P.S. - I like "Miracle Man" but not 10 points worth! :rolleyes:

The ponytail must be a wig. Don't think EOJ hair could grow that quick compared to previous episodes :D! And yes, it wasn't like Castillo getting injured that way! Overall, this episode is a 7.5/8

Edited by sdiegolo78

On 12/8/2009 at 2:23 PM, Tony D. said:

The "Savage" got a new name "Duty & Honor". I wouldn't call this one of my favorites, but it was an interesting episode because of Castillo's mystique. I wonder if his ponytail in 'Nam was real or a wig? The serial killer was a real sick person, but Colman turned out to be a sick savage also. I liked the car chase but there wasn't enough Sonny & Rico in this for me. The ending confused me. I thought Espinoza was killed but it must have been his bodyguard. Castillo with all his training, went around the doorway with his back to it & got stabbed. Didn't seem likely. I rate this a 6 . P.S. - I like "Miracle Man" but not 10 points worth! :rolleyes:

Very unlikely because he was basically a ninja, a master of stealth, but I suppose it was an exception to close the episode out.

Edited by RedDragon86

Michael Wright is truly exceptional as the serial killer, he is up there with Tom Noonan in Manhunter, Karlheinz Bohm "Peeping Tom" Anthony Perkins "Psycho" for authenticity. 

His performance was real and not over the top hollywood phony.

• Like 2

I agree. In fact, I think all the performances in this episode are great. It’s a great story. Great music. Great ending. One of my favorites from S3.

10/10 for me. 

• Like 1