Better put the top up on the Daytona!

maynard

Snuggle up, South Florida, for chill in the 30's BY KATHLEEN McGRORY AND CARLI TEPROFFkmcgrory@MiamiHerald.comSchools officials want children wearing hats and gloves, and dressing in layers.Fire departments are reminding people to keep their space heaters away from curtains and furniture.Shelters are opening their doors to the homeless.Even construction workers are putting off major roadwork because of the cold.Is this South Florida or northern Pennsylvania?Both, it turns out.On Monday, Broward County joined locales in Ohio, Pennsylvania and New York in declaring a cold weather emergency.While the temperatures in South Florida aren't likely to dip below 35 degrees, local officials want Floridians to be ready for the relative cold snap.State Emergency Management Director David Halstead urged residents to "prepare for a long period of freezing temperatures each morning that could harm vegetation, pipes, animals and people."Early Tuesday, expect temperatures in the high 30s, according to the National Weather Service. It should warm up into the 60s later in the day.Fear not, temperatures will return to normal by Friday.OK, so it's not Minneapolis, where the overnight low will hover around 2 degrees.But it will be chilly by South Florida standards. In December, we're used to temperatures between 62 and 78 degrees.The culprit: a Canadian high pressure system. The system pushed a blast of winter weather through the Southeast on Monday, leaving strawberry growers trying to salvage their delicate blooms and schools in North Carolina closed due to snow.Florida farmers were on alert for below-freezing weather that could harm delicate winter crops.Locally, volunteers took to the streets to encourage homeless people to spend the night in shelters.Additionally, fire departments issued advice for staying safe in the cold.Among their top tips: wear a hat that covers your ears when outside, and be sure to bring pets and plants inside.Some pet owners were already prepared. At one Starbucks on South Beach, multiple patrons paraded their dogs in sweaters Monday afternoon.Local school systems were also getting ready for the blast of Winter weather.On Monday, Broward schools officials put out an automated call to parents districtwide."We are advising parents to dress students in layers, hats and gloves on [Tuesday and Wednesday]," the call said.The Miami-Dade school district made a similar call.Parents and kids alike took the message to heart.Outside of Coral Park Elementary in Coral Springs, 10-year-old Sarah Tiufekchiev waited for her mother in a black winter jacket with faux fur around the hood."I'm scared to see what tomorrow is gonna be like," Sarah said.Principal Amanda Miles said she wouldn't be enforcing the dress code too strictly."My first priority is keeping the kids warm," she said.The cold snap also affected some Miami-Dade construction projects.The northbound lanes on the Milam Dairy Road Bridge between Northwest Seventh Street and Northwest 12th Street were supposed to be closed for construction on Tuesday.Instead, the project will take place on Thursday because it might prove too cold Tuesday to perform striping on the roadway.The Miami HeraldRead more: http://www.miamiherald.com/2010/12/06/1960723/snuggle-up-south-florida-for-chill.html#ixzz17NwmKHa0
  • Like 1

Amazing that a little cold snap shuts down everything in SFL. We are down to 8 degrees F here tonight in the Midwest --business as usual this time of year. But.... I did put the top up on my Daytona. It is garaged until warmer days. :thumbsdown:

Amazing that a little cold snap shuts down everything in SFL. We are down to 8 degrees F here tonight in the Midwest --business as usual this time of year. But.... I did put the top up on my Daytona. It is garaged until warmer days. :thumbsdown:

:D:D:D

Guest kleine miss jackie

http-~~-//www.youtube.com/watch?v=fRFJpWqqCA0

http-~~-//www.youtube.com/watch?v=qMjh1DhIhBM

http-~~-//www.youtube.com/watch?v=-kqBFaOszLU&feature=related

@Sonny-Burnett & cageyJG:Thank's a lot guys, now I'm warmed up (hope even for a long while)!!@Sonny-Burnett:Great Video, pic's and the music is fantastic!!! :happy::happy:It also warmed up my heart... :thumbsup::glossy:

@Sonny-Burnett & cageyJG:Thank's a lot guys' date=' now I'm warmed up (hope even for a long while)!!@Sonny-Burnett:Great Video, pic's and the music is fantastic!!! :happy::happy:It also warmed up my heart... :thumbsup::glossy:[/quote'] We aim to please.....:cool:

• Administrators

My apologies to all you Floridians but I just gotta laugh. You call 30 degrees cold?! You folks have no idea what cold is man! Up here in Jersey 30's is t-shirt weather and as for Canada? Well, let's just say they're laughing at me!

My apologies to all you Floridians but I just gotta laugh. You call 30 degrees cold?! You folks have no idea what cold is man! Up here in Jersey 30's is t-shirt weather and as for Canada? Well' date=' let's just say they're laughing at me![/quote'] :klatsch: Here we are hitting around 0 F tomorrow night as well. I am wearing a golf shirt around the house. :frost:

Greetings from the north-west of Russia! :flowers:

You call 30 degrees cold?! You folks have no idea what cold is man! Up here in Jersey 30's is t-shirt weather and as for Canada? Well' date=' let's just say they're laughing at me![/quote']30F is only -1C!This is what I see now from my windowEingefügtes Bild
:klatsch: Here we are hitting around 0 F tomorrow night as well. I am wearing a golf shirt around the house. :frost:
I'm not laughing' date=' but you can make 20-40 push-ups or sit-ups and sleep under three blankets :pAnd why not go skiing outside?! :xmas:PS. And this is an update :)Eingefügtes Bild

OK' date=' we're only getting about 4 inches of snow here today ---what about where you are?[/quote']Yesterday it was up to the middle of the ankle (on the lawn of course). Tomorrow I'll go to work and measure :DEingefügtes BildHow much snow is it? :D

Yesterday it was up to the middle of the ankle (on the lawn of course). Tomorrow I'll go to work and measure :DEingefügtes BildHow much snow is it? :D

OK, you got me beat with snow level. However, I just came in from the outside where my BBQ grill flipped over in 45MPH wind gusts and wind chills of about 10F. Am watching re-runs of Burn Notice to warm up. :eek: