Sonny's Cologne

Sonny6162

OK, I have a question. If you were to envision what fragrance (cologne) Sonny Crockett would wear, what would it be? Let's try and include fragrances that were released within the last 20 years. What designer fragrance do you think exudes that sexy, mysterious, confident, South Beach lifestyle?

Ah, I guess, this is my thread :DSonny used as far I knew "Jean Patou pour homme privé"An also well known fragance in the 80s was the heavy smelling "drakkar noir". Boss No 1 (black) was also very fashionable those times.

Ah' date=' I guess, this is my thread :DSonny used as far I knew "Jean Patou pour homme privé"An also well known fragance in the 80s was the heavy smelling "drakkar noir". Boss No 1 (black) was also very fashionable those times.[/quote'] Sadly, Patou was discontinued some years ago. A new bottle will fetch hundreds of dollars online now. In the 80s, another popular power cologne was Chanel's Antaeus for men.You could also wear any scent made by Versace, too, since his house is right up on South Beach. Or Armani or Boss or other designers whose clothes Sonny may have worn.

If I´d be a visionary' date=' I´d be a millionaire. :D I guess he would be so cool to get castilo confiscate all bottles from patou off ebay :D[/quote'] I think it'd go something like this:Crockett: Marty ... could you pull some strings to confiscate the entire supply of the juice from eBay? I can't be doing million-dollar drug deals smelling like a nickel-and-dimer, ya know.Castillo: (after long, intense stare for 15 seconds) Yes.End of scene. :)

I think it'd go something like this:Crockett: Marty ... could you pull some strings to confiscate the entire supply of the juice from eBay? I can't be doing million-dollar drug deals smelling like a nickel-and-dimer' date=' ya know.Castillo: (after long, intense stare for 15 seconds) Yes.End of scene. :)[/quote'] Nice..... :):)

I can´t remember too.Btw Tony;nice to meet you - Your avatar pic looks great!

It was during Heart of Darkness, during the Devo "Going Under" montage when Sonny and Rico are getting ready to go meet Artie. Sonny picks up the bottle of Patou and begins to unscrew the cap, but changes his mind and replaces it on the table.I want to know what kind of cologne Tubbs uses in that scene. (His hand obscures the label.)

It was during Heart of Darkness' date=' during the Devo "Going Under" montage when Sonny and Rico are getting ready to go meet Artie. Sonny picks up the bottle of Patou and begins to unscrew the cap, but changes his mind and replaces it on the table.I want to know what kind of cologne Tubbs uses in that scene. (His hand obscures the label.)[/quote'] Nice sleuthing.  I had some of this cologne at one time maybe in the 90s. Just checked and it is out there but prices range from about $180 to $380 for vintage. It seems in comparing ingredients that the original 80s version had different chemicals than more modern variations of this.
Edited by Sonny-Burnett

Guest kleine miss jackie
I think it'd go something like this:Crockett: Marty ... could you pull some strings to confiscate the entire supply of the juice from eBay? I can't be doing million-dollar drug deals smelling like a nickel-and-dimer' date=' ya know.Castillo: (after long, intense stare for 15 seconds) Yes.End of scene. :)[/quote'] :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:clap:

• 4 weeks later...
In the 80s' date=' another popular power cologne was Chanel's Antaeus for men.[/quote'] antaeus is a very good choice.ysl kouros is said to be pretty similar to patou...other iconic 80s fragrances that sonny would definetly have digged:dior - fahrenheitazzaro pour hommevery male, strong, dominant - that's the idea!

• 3 weeks later...

The Patou Prive came out at a much later year than when that episode aired. From what I had researched it HAD to be the original Patou Pour Homme that he used. I did my homework on it recently before i snagged a bottle of it on ebay. They want an arm and a leg for that stuff!

• 6 years later...

The original bottles are ridiculously expensive. I've seen them going for £500 on ebay.

fe5cd706aefbace0d77a99c2a888e8ee.jpg

Jean Patou brought out a newer version in 2013, but these aren't too cheap either.

pph2013.jpg

Edited by Crockett Theme
  • Like 2

vor 3 Stunden schrieb Crockett Theme:

The original bottles are ridiculously expensive. I've seen them going for £500 on ebay.

It's even more ridiculous when you consider that even in a sealed bottle, cologne tends to not age well. Even the most expensive perfumes usually go off after about five years. At least with an old and expensive bottle of red wine, by comparison, you know that in theory, you could still drink the stuff. Even if one sip of it will be equivalent to 100 dollars :p

As far as modern colognes, I think Miami calls for a light and airy fragrance due to its tropical climate.

Personally, I use Chrome by Azzaro. Which sort of falls into that category. Or if you want to have something with more earthy notes to reflect Miami's Latin vibe, things like Calvin Klein Eternity or Halston Z-14 (from the 80s) come to mind.

Edited by Daytona74
  • Like 1

50 minutes ago, Daytona74 said:

It's even more ridiculous when you consider that even in a sealed bottle, cologne tends to not age well. Even the most expensive perfumes usually go off after about five years. At least with an old and expensive bottle of red wine, by comparison, you know that in theory, you could still drink the stuff. Even if one sip of it will be equivalent to 100 dollars :p

As far as modern colognes, I think Miami calls for a light and airy fragrance due to its tropical climate.

Personally, I use Chrome by Azzaro. Which sort of falls into that category. Or if you want to have something with more earthy notes to reflect Miami's Latin vibe, things like Calvin Klein Eternity or Halston Z-14 (from the 80s) come to mind.

Funny enough, I've just bought a couple of bottles of Azzaro too - Wanted, which I think fits the bill.

I've just bought Patou after shave balm on ebay, which wasn't too bad. About £40. I'm ok paying that, but nothing more for an old bottle (even if it is unopened).

Also,  a pretty nice cologne that's similar to Chrome (and also to CK One)  is Lanvin L'Homme. It's not that well known, but from my own experience, it's a real hit with the ladies :thumbsup:

61dp0tslbul._sy355_.jpg

It's a light and fresh scent that mainly smells of bergamotte and lavender.

I got tired of it eventually though and just wanted something new, and when I got a free sample of Azzaro Chrome once, that's what I switched to.

5 hours ago, Crockett Theme said:

fe5cd706aefbace0d77a99c2a888e8ee.jpg

Jean Patou brought out a newer version in 2013, but these aren't too cheap either.

I just purchased a 60 ml bottle of vintage Patou Pour Homme EDT around 3 months ago. It had never been used and was in its original box, kept in a cool location and out of the sunlight, the 2 most important factors in ensuring a vintage fragrance retains its original formula composition. As I had owned this cologne back in the day and yes, it was the same used by Crockett as seen in Heart of Darkness, I was very familiar with its various notes and it was still pristine. I spoke with the seller in advance and learned of the storage and care for the other fragrances she was selling. and so I purchased a few other vintage fragrances. I have a number of other vintage colognes from the 80s including some from Christian Dior, but  Patou pour Homme is really in a class by itself, at least to me.  It was VERY expensive, and I had been searching for years for one in this condition .  You can find smaller 10ml bottles for sale occasionally around $60-$100 USD if you want to sample the fragrance.    Just so you know, the newer version of PPH is not the same formula and so will have a different fragrance than the vintage version.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, IA-SteveB said:

Hai Karate

lol...It was cheap, foul smelling but funny commercials.

Edited by Sonny-Burnett

You guys know--and I admire you for it!

Can't say I ever noticed or could read the label on the bottle in the scene from Heart of Darkness.  Never thought about the subject before either :)  But Sonny liked to present himself as a regular guy (sometimes!) who just happened to live the good life, and so if I'd ever thought of it I might have picked Old Spice for him :cool:, to go with the Zippo lighter.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, vicegirl85 said:

You guys know--and I admire you for it!

Can't say I ever noticed or could read the label on the bottle in the scene from Heart of Darkness.  Never thought about the subject before either :)  But Sonny liked to present himself as a regular guy (sometimes!) who just happened to live the good life, and so if I'd ever thought of it I might have picked Old Spice for him :cool:, to go with the Zippo lighter.

598a302ac804d_HeartofDarkness1.jpg.d9e83a3d2ec5bc86af68ae23c7381580.jpg

Sonny was a regular guy but with expensive tastes, who drove a Ferrari, a fast boat and liked flashy clothes.. Here is a screenshot I found some time ago so I could clearly see the Heart of Darkness scene. The Patou pour Homme is a distinctively shaped bottle in the upper left. There is also the gold Ferrari Key Fob, a bean bag boat ashtray, a thin gold Zippo lighter,  Lucky Strikes and a gold Rolex. I managed to find all of these items through various sources including a knockoff Rolex I picked up in China a few years back  Just a bit of collecting.   :)  And I remember the scent of Old Spice very well...though I haven't had any in some years.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Sorry for going off topic here. I was just watching this episode the other night ( or trying to as the disc wouldn't work at a certain scene) but when Crockett and Tubbs are getting ready to meet with Artie and Sam Kovics where is that "exactly?" Their homes? I assumed Crockett was getting ready on his boat. As mentioned before Tubb's place or a very small part of it is only seen once on the show. 

Edited by summer84