Sonny's Cologne

Sonny6162

19 minutes ago, summer84 said:

Sorry for going off topic here. I was just watching this episode the other night ( or trying to as the disc wouldn't work at a certain scene) but when Crockett and Tubbs are getting ready to meet with Artie and Sam Kovics where is that "exactly?" Their homes? I assumed Crockett was getting ready on his boat. As mentioned before Tubb's place or a very small part of it is only seen once on the show. 

I just flipped to the scene on NBC,com and Sonny is clearly on his boat, because he is using the cordless phone we see on the boat in other eps. I assume Rico is either at his hotel or maybe he has an apartment by now, but the shots are close-ups so it's hard to see. But it's only episode 2, so I'm guessing the former.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Sonny-Burnett said:

I just flipped to the scene on NBC,com and Sonny is clearly on his boat, because he is using the cordless phone we see on the boat in other eps. I assume Rico is either at his hotel or maybe he has an apartment by now, but the shots are close-ups so it's hard to see. But it's only episode 2, so I'm guessing the former.

Thanks. In the episode Tubbs complains to Lt. Rodriguez about his living conditions and wanting to "improve the quality of his life" plus getting woken up by Cuban biker's in the next room.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, summer84 said:

Thanks. In the episode Tubbs complains to Lt. Rodriguez about his living conditions and wanting to "improve the quality of his life" plus getting woken up by Cuban biker's in the next room.  

You're right....nice catch.  :fireworks:   So maybe enough time has elapsed since the pilot that he now may have an apartment, or is he in some kind of extended stay hotel that is in a less than desirable location?  

• Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, Sonny-Burnett said:

You're right....nice catch.  :fireworks:   So maybe enough time has elapsed since the pilot that he now may have an apartment, or is he in some kind of extended stay hotel that is in a less than desirable location?  

Thank you. I'm still not sure exactly where, but probably some cheap lousy place. I'm guessing an apartment? As you said it's hard to see much from the closeups.

Edited by summer84

7 minutes ago, summer84 said:

Thank you. I'm still not sure exactly where, but probably a cheap lousy place. I'm guessing an apartment? 

I'm not sure either....I may need to re-watch this episode to see if I can pick anything up but nothing is coming to mind. Then again he may just have been angling for a raise when making these complaints, and who knows whether they were legitimate.

16 minutes ago, summer84 said:

Thank you. I'm still not sure exactly where, but probably some cheap lousy place. I'm guessing an apartment? As you said it's hard to see much from the closeups.

I just checked C Glide's location site for this episode and he doesn't mention Tubbs residence. Perhaps you could pose your question in the Location threads?

21 minutes ago, Sonny-Burnett said:

I just checked C Glide's location site for this episode and he doesn't mention Tubbs residence. Perhaps you could pose your question in the Location threads?

I believe it was Tom, who stated that Tubb's home is only seen in the episode "Amen send money". Edit: Yep, I just checked. 

Edited by summer84

2 hours ago, Sonny-Burnett said:

598a302ac804d_HeartofDarkness1.jpg.d9e83a3d2ec5bc86af68ae23c7381580.jpg

Sonny was a regular guy but with expensive tastes, who drove a Ferrari, a fast boat and liked flashy clothes.. Here is a screenshot I found some time ago so I could clearly see the Heart of Darkness scene. The Patou pour Homme is a distinctively shaped bottle in the upper left. There is also the gold Ferrari Key Fob, a bean bag boat ashtray, a thin gold Zippo lighter,  Lucky Strikes and a gold Rolex. I managed to find all of these items through various sources including a knockoff Rolex I picked up in China a few years back  Just a bit of collecting.   :)  And I remember the scent of Old Spice very well...though I haven't had any in some years.

This picture is inspiring :)  what is that? "The One Card" 

33 minutes ago, Detective_Crockett said:

This picture is inspiring :)  what is that? "The One Card" 

Look closely: "THE *M*ONE*Y*" CARD :thumbsup:

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Dadrian said:

Thanks, the M & Y  are hard to see! 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Dadrian said:

I thought it was just me.. I must be going blind :)

The M and Y are certainly not immediately obvious. Very slick on the marketing department, though. MY, ONE, and MONEY all sinking into your brain as you subconsciously decide to make it MY ONE MONEY CARD for all my purchases. :) :thumbsup:

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

I just bought the Jean Patou reissue, which I hear is still not up to the original 80's scent that Sonny wore, but it is the best scent I have experienced. A bit expensive for what I usually pay, but you can tell this is a premium product compared to what is readily available to buy over the counter.

And ok, the bottle isn't as cool as the 80's version, but damn the packaging overall is very, very nice. The best I have come across for a bottle of EDT. Unless you want to fork out for a ridiculously expensive vintage bottle on ebay (and running the risk of it being fake, or gone off due to how it has been stored over the years), then this is the next best thing to wearing Sonny's cologne.

pph2013.jpg

Edited by Crockett Theme
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Patou was the fragrance of record.  And as mentioned the classic '80's scents of Drakkar Noir and even R.L. Polo.  

BUT...

I would also consider, as Sonny was a Miami/Keys/Tropical boat living-loving cop being paid mid-late 80's cop wages, if he had to pay out of pocket for a little something to splash on after (not) shaving it would likely be Bay Rum or good ole fashioned Old Spice.  Both of which he could easily pick up at Publix on his way home.  And both are still timeless and manly.  (Just ask either of my wives... Ex and current.)

If he was getting fancy, maybe a bit of Kouros or in a bit more modern time, Cool Water.

As for me, when I'm feelin' particularly "Vicey", I still go with Bay Rum for casual and Old Spice for the "fancy."

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Marco Falcone said:

Patou was the fragrance of record.  And as mentioned the classic '80's scents of Drakkar Noir and even R.L. Polo.  

BUT...

I would also consider, as Sonny was a Miami/Keys/Tropical boat living-loving cop being paid mid-late 80's cop wages, if he had to pay out of pocket for a little something to splash on after (not) shaving it would likely be Bay Rum or good ole fashioned Old Spice.  

Hm interesting on the Bay Rum as I've never tried it. Is that the one branded Clubman Virgin Island Bay Rum?

I currently have the St. John's Bay Rum.  Really like it.  I've also had the Royall Bay Rum.  Also nice.

It has a very "Caribbean" smell to it, but it is subtle and not at all overpowering.  

@ Crockett theme: how is that Patou fragrance, fresh or wild

Tubbs after shave could be Geoffrey Beene Grey flannel. but deserves more in dept researches

GMx0ZYe.jpg

yutZPbs.jpg

wQ2p3up.jpg

81pajxN2JfL._SX522_.jpg

1 hour ago, Dadrian said:

I wore Grey Flannel in the 80s! Note that I was born in 1980. :) 

I guess it was for your diaper rash.  ;) :D

• Haha 1

i think he's talking of the perfume, and not the after shave. i used quite a lot of perfume myself too when i was a kid in the 80s. i remember i used Lacoste, Hermes, Balenciaga.. i didn't like Balenciaga much, too sweetened

• Like 1

Interesting about the cologne and the American Express credit card (in "Prodigal Son" in 1985 I believe it was mentioned by Ace to Crockett that American Express had turned him down last March ?!)

:hippie:

• 2 weeks later...

been looking all the perfumes vendors of where i leave, and no way you can find Patou pour l'h. in shop. only one vendor knew what i was talking about and offered me to order it. i refused as it was 75 km away from my home (no way i buy a perfume bottle at such prices without having tested it before). and it seems i did good. because according to internet reviews of guys that used the fragrance over a long period, the reedition is overpriced, and not as classy as the original. Grey flannel is much more common, and it seems to be a light perfume like i like. i will give it a try, as i'm pretty sure this is what tubbs was using

Edited by jpm1
  • Like 1

received my Grey flannel bottle today. and i'm not disapointed. fresh, it looks a lot to 80s Lacoste (rather daily sports perfume), and after few hours it turns into a nearly women (i said nearly) fragrance with both energetic and clean soap smells. definitely a good perfume for a sunny place like Florida. i purchased a small 30ml bottle, but i think i'll buy some more. i love my Givenchy blue but that one is really good too. and yes, i definitely see an elegant guy like Tubbs wearing that kind of fragrance. i'm sure he was wearing it when he was with Michelle :)

Edited by jpm1