Sonny's Cologne

Sonny6162

@jpm1  I am curious about the fragrance of the new formula in the links you posted above. I haven't tried the new formula as yet. 

You can find the Vintage blend in a small sample size on Ebay from time to time, and I would think France would be a veritable goldmine of inventories of vintage fragrances. 

ok, yesterday i made 400 km (200 kms in and back) to test the 2 frangrances in Bordeaux. Patou is really confidential here, and finding these perfumes in shop is like an assault course. you know vicers, they can do things only vicers can understand :). but i was disappointed in the end. these eau de toilette were far from being exceptional (at least for me). Patou pour l'homme is not a bad perfume, but it's nothing extraordinary neither. when the perfume was still fresh, first thing that come to my mind, was that the perfume smelt money. like the wealthy guy that want to tell everyone around he is wealthy you know. after few hours the 'money' side fades, and you get a good perfume. but it's a particular perfume, very masculine. it's musky, and sweet. if you know 80s eau sauvage. it's a bit that spirit. a fragrance 'for the male'. it's not my type of perfume. concerning eau de Patou, well i found it unbalanced. there's a plant that smells way too much comparing to the others (i can't tell what it is, as i'm not a perfume expert). and it doesn't last long. after 30 min you start to ask where is the perfume, and after 1 hour the perfume has totally faded away. so at 190E recommended price by Patou, it just looks like a joke to me

so in the end, i DO NOT recommend buying these without having tested them before. i have my own tastes, and i won't affirm one of you out there won't have a heart stroke for Patou pour l'homme, but it's a particular type of perfume. However, these fragrances for me don't justify their doubled price compared to the competition. I'll stick with my perfect Givenchy Blue label for now :cheers:. one last thing, Patou pour l'homme is definitely the perfect perfume for an undercover cop that want to infiltrate wealthy environments. but i guess this is not what you are in real life guys, is it ;)

@Sonny-Burnett: i don't know what you mean by inventory of vintage fragrances. but what came out from my last days reading, it's that perfumes don't preserve good in small recipients. and large bottles are too risky operation IMO with all these swindles we see nowadays. i also read that Jean Kerléo, the creator of Patou most iconic fragrances has founded a perfumes museum in Paris, if someday you go there in holiday

Edited by jpm1
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, jpm1 said:

but i was disappointed in the end. these eau de toilette were far from being exceptional (at least for me). Patou pour l'homme is not a bad perfume, but it's nothing extraordinary neither. when the perfume was still fresh, first thing that come to my mind, was that the perfume smelt money. like the wealthy guy that want to tell everyone around he is wealthy you know. after few hours the 'money' side fades, and you get a good perfume. but it's a particular perfume, very masculine. it's musky, and sweet. if you know 80s eau sauvage. it's a bit that spirit. a fragrance 'for the male'. it's not my type of perfume. concerning eau de Patou, well i found it unbalanced. there's a plant that smells way too much comparing to the others (i can't tell what it is, as i'm not a perfume expert). and it doesn't last long. after 30 min you start to ask where is the perfume, and after 1 hour the perfume has totally faded away. so at 190E recommended price by Patou, it just looks like a joke to me

@Sonny-Burnett: i don't know what you mean by inventory of vintage fragrances. but what came out from my last days reading, it's that perfumes don't preserve good in small recipients. and large bottles are too risky operation IMO with all these swindles we see nowadays. i also read that Jean Kerléo, the creator of Patou most iconic fragrances has founded a perfumes museum in Paris, if someday you go there in holiday

So we are on the same page, you tested the NEW formula for Patou pour Homme, and NOT the Vintage formula, correct?  There is a distinct difference between the two from all accounts I have read. As I said, I have not personally tested the NEW formula as yet but perhaps I need to do so. Might be worth your time to try the Vintage version, if you can find a sample somewhere. I still consider the vintage version an exceptional cologne/Edt and one i do like, though I do agree its price is really unheard of.

Interesting about Eau Sauvage as I also have several vintage bottles of that as well and I wear it fairly often. Not to be confused however with Eau Sauvage Extreme..which is too heavy for me. 

What I meant about inventory is that I remember 2 trips to France way back in the day, and there seemingly were perfume shops everywhere and many of the best fragrances originated there, so I expected there might be some availability of vintage colognes to try. 

yes, i was speaking of the new formula. i didn't say it was bad. i just said it wasn't to my liking. and i find it (way) overpriced. i don't want to try the old formula. i don't see the interest of putting more than 200E in a perfume bottle. and i ever put 200E in a perfume someday it will really have to be an exceptional thing. the old formula is maybe great, but it's too pricey, and it's too complicated

about the perfumes shops, yeah here in France all small towns have at least 2 perfumes shops, often more. but we wear them, we don't collect them in a furniture :). i mean all fragrances you'll find will be the same you'll find in an USA shop. plus as we discussed before. vintage formulas are now prohibited for the most

• 2 weeks later...

@ Sonny-Burnett: just about eau sauvage. two days ago i purchased a bottle of it, as well as a bottle of Dior pour homme sport, and both are great fragrances. both delicate, and non invasive. i'm talking about today's formulas

• Like 1

7 hours ago, jpm1 said:

@ Sonny-Burnett: just about eau sauvage. two days ago i purchased a bottle of it, as well as a bottle of Dior pour homme sport, and both are great fragrances. both delicate, and non invasive. i'm talking about today's formulas

Cool...I have the Eau Sauvage in both the vintage and newer formulas and I like them both.  I am going to look for some other Vintage men's fragrances or their modern equivalent. 

I'd be curious to hear from anyone what their favorite 80s Men's Colognes were and how they would describe them. 

Edited by Sonny-Burnett
  • Like 1

• 6 months later...

Today is a f... great day. As you probably already know Givenchy blue label is discontinued in France. But today as i was roaming a big Croatian mall in Zadar while on holidays there, guess what. In a big cosmetics shop, guess what i see. Two bottles of the precious fragrance. bought them both. I know i'm a f.. lucky guy. two bottles in a big shop means very low chances to get some counterfeit stuff. Sry for the OT, but i'm so happy right now.

@Sonny-Burnett: personnally i wouldn't dare old fragrances on the internet. old perfumes decay with time. If they aren't stored in a wine cellar. and you can get counterfeit stuff

On 9/8/2018 at 4:02 PM, jpm1 said:

Today is a f... great day. As you probably already know Givenchy blue label is discontinued in France. But today as i was roaming a big Croatian mall in Zadar while on holidays there, guess what. In a big cosmetics shop, guess what i see. Two bottles of the precious fragrance. bought them both. I know i'm a f.. lucky guy. two bottles in a big shop means very low chances to get some counterfeit stuff. Sry for the OT, but i'm so happy right now.

@Sonny-Burnett: personnally i wouldn't dare old fragrances on the internet. old perfumes decay with time. If they aren't stored in a wine cellar. and you can get counterfeit stuff

Pleased for you @jpm1! Great news 

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
On ‎3‎/‎3‎/‎2018 at 10:16 PM, Sonny-Burnett said:

Cool...I have the Eau Sauvage in both the vintage and newer formulas and I like them both.  I am going to look for some other Vintage men's fragrances or their modern equivalent. 

I'd be curious to hear from anyone what their favorite 80s Men's Colognes were and how they would describe them. 

Late to the party, but anyhow..

My '80's favorite is Patou PH, simply the best of you ask me. Would I have unlimited stock of the original I'd wear it on most days. I don't, hence I space my stock out

Another one from '80's is Faberge's Turbo, like that one as well. To me it is what Super-Mario probably wears to this day.

I'm not big fan of Kouros anymore, mainly due probs on getting original, unspoiled bottles.

Yatagan and VC & A Pour Homme I think come from the '70's so not really for this list

-J

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 3 months later...

I read somewhere that Boss tested Boss cologne (it's called Boss Number One since 1998) with the cast of Miami Vice in 1984 before the release for sale in 1985. I like this stuff, strong honeyed scent with a lot of herbs and musk and It's still in production. I really imagine it was worn by Sonny Crockett, as well as Versace L'Homme.

hugo boss edt.jpg

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Player said:

I read somewhere that Boss tested Boss cologne (it's called Boss Number One since 1998) with the cast of Miami Vice in 1984 before the release for sale in 1985. I like this stuff, strong honeyed scent with a lot of herbs and musk and It's still in production. I really imagine it was worn by Sonny Crockett, as well as Versace L'Homme.

hugo boss edt.jpg

I’ll have to check it out. Thanks. I’ve worn no. 6 for YEARS. Vanilla and cedar. :fireworks:

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Such amazing content on this forum... but just for once I'd like to be able to read an informative thread about our favorite protagonist without feeling as if I have to rush out and spend money.....  nope not gonna happen.... :glossy:

JP.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

• 2 months later...
  • 9 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...