Sonny's Cologne

Sonny6162

Heart of Darkness1.jpg20180206_113523.thumb.jpg.40f59d6e796e2d3933aa556e49922591.jpg

My recreation shot of the Heart of Darkness Scene. Key Fob is same, as is the thin gold ZIppo, boat ashtray, Lucky Strikes and vintage Patou Pour Homme EDT. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

• Administrators

Great job Sonny! At first I had to make sure my S&W 669 was still in the safe. I've got the same Pachmayr grips too. 

Question, on your recreation, why does your money clip only show a $20 and Crockett's has a $100 showing?   :dance2:

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, timm525 said:

Question, on your recreation, why does your money clip only show a $20 and Crockett's has a $100 showing?   :dance2:

I noticed this, but I’m not as brave as Tim :) 

4 hours ago, timm525 said:

Great job Sonny! At first I had to make sure my S&W 669 was still in the safe. I've got the same Pachmayr grips too. 

lol....well in fact I do generally keep the bigger bills folded INSIDE the money clip to avoid prying eyes when purchasing party favors. $50 max though. :p

4 hours ago, Dadrian said:

I noticed this, but I’m not as brave as Tim :) 

Huh? Well in truth I missed the larger bill in Sonny's screencap. But take note I did NOT produce an actual credit card in here.  :)

4 hours ago, timm525 said:

Perhaps Sonny Burnett just needs to sell a few Keys to get some more Franklins.  :)

We can all use some more dead presidents. Going to be selling some things around the house in the near future. ;)

5 hours ago, timm525 said:

Wow, nice eye for firearms detail there Tim.

You are correct of course. I only had 2 choices, and the other was a 357 magnum revolver so the 669 had to make due here. 

• Administrators
5 hours ago, Sonny-Burnett said:

Wow, nice eye for firearms detail there Tim.

You are correct of course. I only had 2 choices, and the other was a 357 magnum revolver so the 669 had to make due here. 

Well, actually, my recall is startin' to work just fine...I just remembered what it sounds like when you cock a .38.  :p

• Haha 2

• Administrators

Not wanting to derail this cologne thread but below is a pic of my 669 from a post in "Crockett's backup gun after the Detonics" under Party Favors ---> Hardware.

Eingefügtes Bild

• Like 2

On 2/7/2018 at 6:14 AM, timm525 said:

Not wanting to derail this cologne thread but below is a pic of my 669 from a post in "Crockett's backup gun after the Detonics" under Party Favors ---> Hardware.

Eingefügtes Bild

Nice. And here I thought this was a dated weapon of choice 

• Like 1

• Administrators

Ok gang, I just pulled the trigger an bought 6 bottles of this stuff!

image.png

Of course all I an afford is to pay for the UPS shipping box right now! I'll actually receive the cologne after I hit the lottery!  :D

• Haha 2

24 minutes ago, timm525 said:

Ok gang, I just pulled the trigger an bought 6 bottles of this stuff!

image.png

Of course all I an afford is to pay for the UPS shipping box right now! I'll actually receive the cologne after I hit the lottery!  :D

See if @Sonny-Burnett will let you hold some 20s! :) 

• Haha 1

You guys are killing me. :)  Well that is the large bottle of 4 oz or 120 ml, and I've seen it go for prices ranging from $700 to over $1000 as you see in your listing. 

My bottle in the photo is the 2 oz bottle, or 60ml.  

But if you REALLY want to try some of this fragrance, you can get the small 10ml sample bottle.. I also picked up one for around $80 I think. :cool:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Jean-Patou-Pour-Homme-Lot-4-x-10-ml-EDT-Mini-Perfume-Bottle-Vintage/263443693155?hash=item3d5677be63:g:Y1YAAOSw-RFaX9HJ

It is unbelievably pricey but the original formula is no longer made....and it does smell incredible, even among some other vintage colognes I own. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Dadrian said:

Interesting. Can you describe the scent? I may try a sample. 

I'll do you one better and link to an interesting review that ties into its use on Vice. 

http://www.cafleurebon.com/vintage-fragrance-review-jean-patou-patou-pour-homme-jean-kerleo-1980-sonny-crockett-draw/

Some excerpts:

"he fragrance starts off with a huge blast of tempered Lavender in a coumarinic cloud of herbs.  This Lavender here is very well done –  it isn’t soapy or astringent in any sort of way and mixes very well with several aromatic herbs (basil and tarragon in particular) and only a very, very brief glimpse of a citrus note. The impression here is one of the finest blending.  I have come across very few that are blended to this level of perfection. It’s spicy without being overbearing.  It’s classy without being snobbish. It is very clear to me this is the work of a masterful hand. "

"Within an hour the herbal spicy facets have moved into a more a slightly floral and leathery (Castoreum) and unsmoked tobacco and tonka  (Tonquin) affair.  The Lavender is still present and at this point is at a stage that is more soapy – not overly so though – just very pleasantly present mixing with a dash of cinnamon.  There is an air of wood like that of Bourbon Barrels that is absolutely marvelous.   The florals are spicy – carnation and geranium.  One’s nostrils are also rather “open” due to a pepperish aspect that seems to add a lift to the concoction brilliantly without ever being staunch.  The overall image this is conjuring up in my mind is one of the most dashing man living the life of carefree extragravance and loving every last second of it.  He stands out, but, he’s not a snob."

• Thanks 1

I looked for several years for my larger bottle and most of the time ran across listings like the one Tim posted, and they were usually overseas sellers. Then  I found a local seller who was liquidating the vintage perfume and cologne collection of her relative, who had an extensive supply of fragrances going back to the 60s and she kept them in a cool dry location out of the sunlight. I made an offer on the PPH and to my surprise it was accepted. So I ordered some other items from her as well such as Christian Dior and Joy by Jean Patou, once billed as the world's costliest women's perfume. I do believe the scent of PPH is worth the money, though I do use it sparingly and hope to buy some more at some point. 

Did you catch this from the Review?:

"The original Patou pour Homme is among one of the many fragrances that came and went with what I imagine was pretty low fanfare to the masses. Even though in its heyday it graced the dresser top of the oh so stylish/fashionable/pseudo macho and modern James “Sonny” Crockett (Don Johnson) in Miami Vice… Ahhh, yes, all good things come to an end.  Or do they?"

Edited by Sonny-Burnett
  • Like 1

• Administrators

Wow, I did read some of the stuff you posted when I was looking for it before going to ebay. Great info to be sure. I was going to ask you if you ever wear it or if you like it. My fear is I'd really like it, kinda like having a coke habit or smoking real Cuba cigars! :o  Not habits I want to have. 

Pretty cool. 

20 hours ago, timm525 said:

Wow, I did read some of the stuff you posted when I was looking for it before going to ebay. Great info to be sure. I was going to ask you if you ever wear it or if you like it. My fear is I'd really like it, kinda like having a coke habit or smoking real Cuba cigars! :o  Not habits I want to have. 

Pretty cool. 

Yes I do wear the Patou pour Homme and so I do have an active search to find more. It is truly a unique fragrance and as the author of the review I posted above suggested, its scent actually changes over time when you wear it.

lol...it is very much like an expensive habit. And i like fine cigars too!  :rauchen:

1200E. pretty risky investment on ebay. if the guy is a thief, no way you see back your money. what i don't understand is why cool perfumes formulas like 80s PPH or Lacoste have been modified. i have Lacoste right now (among others) and actual formula is clearly not as cool as the 80s one

7 minutes ago, jpm1 said:

1200E. pretty risky investment on ebay. if the guy is a thief, no way you see back your money. what i don't understand is why cool perfumes formulas like 80s PPH or Lacoste have been modified. i have Lacoste right now (among others) and actual formula is clearly not as cool as the 80s one

I agree, so I don't spend that kind of money on overseas sellers. And there is risk of dilution or total counterfeit reproductions as well with expensive, vintage fragrances. That's why I usually try to purchase locally. And it helps to be able to test in advance and know your fragrances. 

And as to the formula differences I do know there were a number of components in the original formula for Patou Pour Homme that are now banned from use though not recalling the specifics at the moment, but seem to recall due to environmental concerns. 

• Like 1

• Administrators
5 hours ago, Sonny-Burnett said:

Yes I do wear the Patou pour Homme and so I do have an active search to find more. It is truly a unique fragrance and as the author of the review I posted above suggested, its scent actually changes over time when you wear it.

lol...it is very much like an expensive habit. And i like fine cigars too!  :rauchen:

I'm trading that habit in for a functioning heart...hopefully....ya know how I aspire to have so much in this life! :D

1 hour ago, jpm1 said:

Yep, good luck on that crap shoot. As for me the guy could put cat pee in the bottle and sell it to me for $1200.00 and I wouldn't know it was the wrong stuff...other then it smelled horrible. I'd be saying I paid 1200 bucks for this? Yuck! 

1 hour ago, Sonny-Burnett said:

I agree, so I don't spend that kind of money on overseas sellers. And there is risk of dilution or total counterfeit reproductions as well with expensive, vintage fragrances. That's why I usually try to purchase locally. And it helps to be able to test in advance and know your fragrances. 

And as to the formula differences I do know there were a number of components in the original formula for Patou Pour Homme that are now banned from use though not recalling the specifics at the moment, but seem to recall due to environmental concerns

Oh well now that's reassuring. If it's banned due to environmental concerns, wouldn't you be concerned about putting that on your skin? :wuerg:

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, timm525 said:

Yep, good luck on that crap shoot. 

Oh well now that's reassuring. If it's banned due to environmental concerns, wouldn't you be concerned about putting that on your skin? :wuerg:

Yes counterfeiting of vintage fragrances does happen, and I have received one in the past. Like i said you have to know what you're buying. 

lol...I meant that some of the ingredients are protected environmentally, meaning they can no longer be legally harvested. At least that's what I'm recalling. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

found a reseller where 100 ml eau de Patou, and Patou pour l'homme are 40% off. been thinking about it for 4 days now, my brain is starting to melt down :p. i'm pretty sure they are great perfumes, but if there's a problem i'm good for 200E to the trashbin. what drives me crazy it's that it seems that for men, 50 or 75 ml bottles don 't exist. concerning the formulas, i've been reading a lot about it during the last days. and it seems the formulas changes are only because of more restrictive health laws. globally anything that can cause an allergia is prohibited. that's why the formulas are a bit different, and often lighter (all new Patou formulas last less than the old formulas). if i do the jump, i think i'll buy eau de Patou. according to the internet reviews it's just an exceptional eau de toilette. i think i still have 50 mm in my Givenchy blue, i'm thinking hard about it right now :). oh and btw if you are in France or adjoining here's the link

https://www.parfumeries-april.com/Eau-de-Patou-Collection-Heritage-JEAN-PATOU/p/4/858/10218/

https://www.parfumeries-april.com/Patou-Pour-Homme-Collection-Heritage-JEAN-PATOU/p/4/858/10201/ID_CAT_P=40500

• Like 1