Miami Vice: "The Complete Collection"

Ferrariman

5 hours ago, Leigh Burne said:

Wasn't it said somewhere that the previous version of the theme (used in the first few episodes) was simply mixed incorrectly, hence why it's missing the synth guitar hook?

I’ve never heard that, but I can believe it. I know they were doing some strange kind of stereo before they just did regular stereo (for some reason?). 

Any old timers here will remember season 2(?) opening credits with the “IN STEREO” logo appearing with the “MIAMI VICE” logo. 

Here’s a season 3 capture:

4379DDD8-CD41-4331-B0CA-2D20A16D0CE2.jpeg

6 hours ago, Leigh Burne said:

Wasn't it said somewhere that the previous version of the theme (used in the first few episodes) was simply mixed incorrectly, hence why it's missing the synth guitar hook?

You're exactly right!

It has been said that initially the producers of the show did in fact incorrectly mix the theme for the first 4 episodes.

Info about this can be read here: http://miamivice.wikia.com/wiki/Miami_Vice_Theme.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Dadrian said:

I’ve never heard that, but I can believe it. I know they were doing some strange kind of stereo before they just did regular stereo (for some reason?). 

The way I've heard it, the show was always produced in stereo, it just wasn't broadcast in stereo until season 2. I'm assuming because TVs with stereo sound speakers weren't necessarily widespread back when it started? (Before my time lol.)

Oh okay that makes sense. 

In Jan Hammer’s 1985 Keyboard Magazine interview, he referenced some pseudo-stereo thing in which they broadcast season 1. He seemed like he wasn’t even sure what was up with it. 

• 3 months later...

"The Kick" from "Miami Vice: Special Edition" release was composed for 1996 movie "The Secret Agent Club".

Edited by Crockettt