Calling all Detectives: Group effort

C Glide

I thought it might be a good idea to have a thread where we, as a group of location detectives could attack 1 mystery (unknown location) at a time. Pick an unsolved location and post whatever clues you notice about that location. This way something you notice but that may not mean anything to you may have gone unnoticed by another but may trigger something for them. We can pool our insight and bounce ideas around that I am confident will solve even the toughest puzzles. I think the exploding drug lab in Milk Run may be a good case to start with. Clues I notice are 1) the unique facing on the front of the roofs of the buildings seen on the street in the background. 2) It is unlikely that the lab house is still standing today. 3) The last structure that can be seen on the street has an awning typical of a store front. 4) The utility poles are concrete not wood. 5) The road is narrow and has a white line running down it, not yellow so I believe it is likely a oneway street. 6) In the background behind C+T there are almost no lights which makes me believe the house was on the water. 7) Of the few visible lights I think that the ones on the right are on a radio tower and the group of four on the left are atop a highrise building. 8) The filming for this episode was somewhat scattered so I don't get any clues from that.9) There are parking meters along the street. Please chime in and add any and all clues you notice no matter how small and chime in with any ideas. Eingefügtes BildEingefügtes BildEingefügtes BildEingefügtes Bild

Good idea Charlie. Have been looking for this spot for a while. I doubt that the house itself exists anymore but the distinctive neighborhood might. The background is probably water but might be a park or playground which would account for the darkness.

Well, the house that was "blown up" was located in downtown Miami. The apartment buliding was not occupied. The house wasn't really blown up exactly, but had pyros set up in, and around it. The apartment owner that owns the apartments next to it, made it clear that he didn't want his apartment damaged in any way. The house took two weeks to be rigged with the explosives. The roof was made of wood, and weighed 50 tons. It would have been too heavy to blow the roof off of it, so the lead Pyrotechnition, J.B.Jones, put on an aluminum roof, but left the wood roof on the side next to the apartments to make sure it would not damage the apartments.I don't think the house exists anymore, have no idea about the apartments either, but they existed somewhere in downtown Miami.-COOP

• Like 1

That is great info. That is exactly why this thread will help solve allot of mysteries. That narrows the search down to a manageable size. I also noticed that the roof was fake and lifted off the house easily during the explosion and there were panels placed on the sides of the house to blow off.

Has anybody tracked down the people responsible for location scouting for MV? I'd think all your answers would be there... probably some untapped photos and notes as well

I just flew a grid over the area from the river up to 29th street and from the bay to I95. I came up with zilch. I will keep looking. That area along the bay was one of my original suspect areas. I hope the apartment building is still there. I think in this case the odds are on our side.

This thread is a good idea, because you never know who might carry the key to your next lead.Good idea for a thread. :thumbsup:

Has anybody tracked down the people responsible for location scouting for MV? I'd think all your answers would be there... probably some untapped photos and notes as well

I do remember this was addressed but don't remember the exact outcome. I believe some of the same location scouts are working on Burn Notice. I really did not want to bother them but would hope they may stop by here and chime in. Good suggestion Min Uzi.

This idea won't work in this case, but in some cases, check the shadows cast at the time of day, (say, morning). It may give a clue to a street direction if a shadow is cast a certain way depending on the direction the sun rises in the East. (or "vice"-versa late in the day)-COOP

I do remember this was addressed but don't remember the exact outcome. I believe some of the same location scouts are working on Burn Notice. I really did not want to bother them but would hope they may stop by here and chime in. Good suggestion Min Uzi.

After a few emails I got the name and Miami phone number for a lady who works on setting up Burn Notice locations. Supposedly she will be back to work in March to start arranging for the next seasons filming. Since I know some of the BN crew are Vice fans and worked on that series I plan to ask her about Vice sites as well. Someone might remember or have notes from that season.

• 2 months later...
I talked with Danj today and he told me that work was being done on this mystery in relation to a possible location. He let me know where it was so I could check it out and see if I thought it was a match. I won't reveal the location here because I did not find it, I will let that person post. However; I checked out the location and I was excited for a minute. Then as I started to examine the location there were just too many major problems with it. Danj asked what I thought and now that I studied it I have to say it was a false alarm, definitely not the spot but a good false alarm. It got me excited for a minute. The search continues.

Thanks C Glide for the status!I´ve got several mystery locations on my hunt list (mainly from seasons 4 and 5) but I will try to find them on my own. If I don´t make it within the next few weeks, I´ll post my research here in this thread.

Thanks C Glide for the status!I´ve got several mystery locations on my hunt list (mainly from seasons 4 and 5) but I will try to find them on my own. If I don´t make it within the next few weeks' date=' I´ll post my research here in this thread.[/quote'] Cool.

• 2 months later...
I think we have made some headway despite not having solved this "first" mystery. It can simmer on the back burner while we look at another case. I think this case is solveable. It is from Golden Triangle 1. Ross' house, when the gang goes to arrest him at his home as he was about to leave.Eingefügtes BildSome clues or items that I have noticed that may help solve the case. 1) The roof design is unique and should help locate it from above (GE etc.)2) It appears that the road has a curve, to the right as stand in the yard and we look away from the house. Most SoFla roads are straight.3) The driveway appears to be a horseshoe shape. Not enough is seen to be 100% sure about this but it is likely. 4) There is a sidewalk on both sides of the street.5) there is a number on the house, 12 35 with a space between the 2 and the 3. This may be a real number, putting the house between 120 and 129 blocks from Flagler.Eingefügtes Bild6) We get a view as the camera shoots Crockett then Tubbs of two different, nearly opposite directions and there are not any high-rise buildings visible in the bg. This is rare, even for 1980's Miami.Eingefügtes BildEingefügtes BildSo join in, post clues that you see and lets solve this season 1 case.:checkbox:

7) another thing I notice is that there are wooden utility poles in the area but not on this street. It is likely that there would be a utility line running behind the houses.

Hi Charlie and other sleuthsThought I'd report my findings (or lack of!) on this case. Using Bing maps, Google Earth and any other map site that has birdseye view or street view, for several hours I searched the block of 120 to 129 N of Flagler, from the bay going westwards, homing in on roads that weren't straight. I have also rewatched the episode on my laptop to watch the scene concerned. On a lot of the roads I looked at, from street view, there aren't tall buildings around in that area, even now. Most of the houses are of a bungalow style ie ground floor only. I thought I had found the site yesterday but alas, no.What I have noticed is an anomaly over Sonny's right shoulder, if you look at the pic on this thread. Is it part of the utility posts that run behind the houses facing this one? I can't focus in any closer & don't know if anyone has better equipment to do so.As I'm from the UK, the numbering of US streets & houses is alien to me - would the houses be numbered in a certain way? I don't know if this would reduce the number of locations in that area for us to check?I'm getting to know Miami better than I know my own neighbourhood!! :D:) :)

Hi Charlie and other sleuthsThought I'd report my findings (or lack of!) on this case. Using Bing maps' date=' Google Earth and any other map site that has birdseye view or street view, for several hours I searched the block of 120 to 129 N of Flagler, from the bay going westwards, homing in on roads that weren't straight. I have also rewatched the episode on my laptop to watch the scene concerned. On a lot of the roads I looked at, from street view, there aren't tall buildings around in that area, even now. Most of the houses are of a bungalow style ie ground floor only. I thought I had found the site yesterday but alas, no.What I have noticed is an anomaly over Sonny's right shoulder, if you look at the pic on this thread. Is it part of the utility posts that run behind the houses facing this one? I can't focus in any closer & don't know if anyone has better equipment to do so.As I'm from the UK, the numbering of US streets & houses is alien to me - would the houses be numbered in a certain way? I don't know if this would reduce the number of locations in that area for us to check?I'm getting to know Miami better than I know my own neighbourhood!! :D:) :)[/quote'] I am glad you are on the case, the more eyes and brains on the case the more likely it will be solved. RE: U.S. addresses, They are suppose to run from the central post office in a community outward but not all areas are up to code. The more north and east you go in the U.S., generally the more disorganized things are. In south Florida things run pretty logically. Flagler Street (streets run east-west) divides the north from the south and Street numbers go up as you get away from Flagler either north or south. Miami Avenue divides east from west. Avenues, Courts, and Teraces run north-south. This helps allot in finding locations. For example an address of 1200 you would expect to be 12 blocks from the center either north south east or west and because it ends with 00 one would expect it to be on the corner at the start of the block. If it was say 1250, then one would look 12 blocks from the center and focus on the middle of the block.I am going to take another look today and focus in on neighborhoods in the right areas that have sidewalks on both sides of the streeet. That rules out allot of places quickly.

I spent hours on this, probably 4 hours already. I can't find anything like it. I think it's a straight street though, not a curved one. I only looked through straight streets. Lots of them. All the 1200 blocks I could find on GE. Was it maybe in FT Lauderdale? Maybe the house was torn down, or totally remodeled. I cant find the two window front portion, next to the recessed entrance, next to the carport on the left side of the curved (I agreee about this) driveway. I found lots of similar areas though. I also searched assuming that maybe those slat windows were replaced, and that blocky architecture on the front stairs removed.I was thinking that object behind Crockett was a steeple of a church. It looks vaguely like it protrudes off of a high roof.The sun is casting a shadow directly down the line of the sidewalk. With the sun that high, It must be 11:00am-1:00pm on a north south running street. The house being on the East side of the street.

I was thinking that object behind Crockett was a steeple of a church. It looks vaguely like it protrudes off of a high roof.To me this looks like the top of a tree that is out of focus.The sun is casting a shadow directly down the line of the sidewalk. With the sun that high' date=' It must be 11:00am-1:00pm on a north south running street. The house being on the East side of the street.[/quote'] Interesting observation. Looking at the shadow under the Mercedes I would say about 1 o'clock. It may be a north south Avenue but I would not rule out an east west Street based on the shadow. If we keep looking we will find it.

Interesting observation. Looking at the shadow under the Mercedes I would say about 1 o'clock. It may be a north south Avenue but I would not rule out an east west Street based on the shadow. If we keep looking we will find it.

For the past few days, I've looked on and off at the streets around NE Miami. I've been looking mainly at the N-S streets with sidewalks between 120th and 129th as their numbers go into the region we're looking for, e.g. 12135, whereas the W-E seem lower numbers. While the glossary was up, I had a look to see if anything was filmed for the eps around Golden Triangle in the NE area - you know how they sometimes like to reuse a nearby location - but nothing. I also had a good look around by the studios on Bing & GE, though who's to say the house has been knocked down and rebuilt as beach_vice mentioned. Anybody else have any findings or thoughts?All the best

I think I found it. Check the design by the stairs, the spacing of the front windows, the step roof, the driveway. Check the house behind Tubbs across the street. The tree in front, the window with overhang, with a car parked in front now on a dirt driveway. The carport removed, note the car parked there would've driven on grass in the 80's to get there. Also, check the power lines behind the houses, and on the end of the street that you can see behind Tubbs. The power post behind Crockett, just right of the weird shaped blur above the house with a carport. It looks like a match.Reasons it may not be it... The power line on the street. The house colors are different. Those are things that could have changed in 20 years though. I don't know, but I'm pretty convinced. I wish there were better shots in the episode.http://maps.google.ca/maps?hl=en&ie=UTF8&ll=25.888053,-80.198583&spn=0.00202,0.003484&t=h&z=19&layer=c&cbll=25.887954,-80.198579&panoid=z7B5u4rQv8PCZDbzSG8pVQ&cbp=12,89.03,,0,9.17Move up and down the street to get some better views of the house. The sun in the background is very distorting.

A definite maybe. Great work but I am not so sure this is the house. The house itself is a pretty good match, windows look right. There are a couple of things about it that bother me. The driveway is now black top when it had been concrete. This is an unlikely switch. At the end of the yard behind Crockett there appears to be a very low wall of some type along the property line that is missing at this house. Also the low stone wall along the front of the house is missing as are the vertical stripe pattern between windows. The house behind Crockett looks like it might be a match but the houses behind Tubbs don't line up at all. This location does however have enough going for it that it is worth a trip to see it better in person. What do other people think?

It may be wrong, but, we're probably in the right area. Here's a house only a couple blocks away, very similar. What that tells me is that there was a developer building similar units in that neighborhood.http://maps.google.ca/maps?hl=en&ie=UTF8&t=h&layer=c&cbll=25.887438,-80.195887&panoid=Fil9513IBSlLBwIJCl_DzQ&cbp=12,9.57,,0,3.64&ll=25.887444,-80.195677&spn=0.00101,0.001742&z=20

How about this one... Across the street, the tree is similar, but the house color and additional trees really make it unrecognizable. The power lines are there and a tall tree that might be the object over Crocketts shoulder. As well, the entrance to the house over Crocketts shoulder has a window, next to slats, check the second pic. The carport behind Tubbs check the third pic. This has to be the house.http://maps.google.ca/maps?hl=en&ie=UTF8&t=h&layer=c&cbll=25.891339,-80.197116&panoid=BXlVWwdkmpdpeacUTD9hyw&cbp=12,116.76,,1,-0.14&ll=25.891242,-80.197112&spn=0.00101,0.001742&z=20http://maps.google.ca/maps?hl=en&ie=UTF8&t=h&layer=c&cbll=25.890991,-80.197102&panoid=psnIu0ymBXnAqAvvDifnMQ&cbp=12,230.57,,0,2.31&ll=25.891115,-80.197107&spn=0.001005,0.001742&z=20http://maps.google.ca/maps?hl=en&ie=UTF8&t=h&layer=c&cbll=25.891447,-80.197121&panoid=Qa-Z5VrNnbUjer2ibaigGw&cbp=12,283.64,,0,-0.97&ll=25.891447,-80.197121&spn=0.00101,0.001742&z=20

I would say you found it. Great work. I will watch the ep. again tomorrow to verify 100% if I can but everything (almost) matches up. IMO it is the place.:thumbsup: