Calling all Detectives: Group effort

C Glide

Great work! For me this is a 99% match especially as the distance between the road and the baseball field matches.

Now as you successfully identified the driving segment, we realize that our hope that the Zito house is close due to location conveniance with these car scenes gets slimmer. The types of houses around this area are different than the neighbouring houses of Zito. Usually they have always chosen Coconut Grove if they looked for poor looking houses and North Miami (Beach) for average residential homes (e.g. Crockett house in pilot, the torture house in Stone's war, Ross' home in Score, ....).

Edited by Tom
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Wow incredible. Great find. Drives me nuts though because I spent allot of time on this stretch sussing out the driving scene from Heart of Darkness which filmed here. I parked my car in the lot we see in the background here and took pictures. The heart of Darkness scene is special to me as it was an early location find for me when I first moved to Florida and enjoyed the company of Danj there the first time I met him in person. Every time I drove by there I would think of that driving scene but now I have another reason to find the location special. Dang, know the place well but did not place it as the spot of this filming.

• Like 1

Amazing detective work airtommy.  Charlie, glad to see the post on your site that you have resumed work on the remaining Vice and Burn Notice episodes.

Question - where in Vice and/or BN does the Central Baptist Church, 500 N.E. 1st Ave, Miami appear?  See photo.  I remember seeing it somewhere but can't remember where.    Thanks

Edited by miamijimf

• 2 weeks later...

This isn't the first time someone mistakenly thought this house was on MV. A guy who docked his houseboat on Hibiscus Island told me that same house had been used in Vice. He said it was No Exit or maybe he said "the Bruce Willis episode", I can't remember exactly how he phrased it.

The house really has a Vice look to it.

A few years ago, I was on a Duck Tour from South Beach and the guide said the same thing about being the Bruce Willis house in Vice, however I had seen the real thing the day before (the pink house)

• 5 weeks later...
On ‎1‎/‎6‎/‎2016 at 6:41 AM, miamijimf said:

Amazing detective work airtommy.  Charlie, glad to see the post on your site that you have resumed work on the remaining Vice and Burn Notice episodes.

Question - where in Vice and/or BN does the Central Baptist Church, 500 N.E. 1st Ave, Miami appear?  See photo.  I remember seeing it somewhere but can't remember where.    Thanks

We see it as the federal courthouse when Fiona is arrested, used heavily in ep. 81 Scorched Earth. The only time I remember seeing it in Vice is when it stood out in the background of Out Where The Buses Don't Run.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, C Glide said:

We see it as the federal courthouse when Fiona is arrested, used heavily in ep. 81 Scorched Earth. The only time I remember seeing it in Vice is when it stood out in the background of Out Where The Buses Don't Run.

Thanks Charlie, it is a significant location so I will include it in the latest version of my ebook.  Photo attached.

12400630_986768004723413_1060735670819379140_n.jpg

Here's a location CGlide can add to his excellent web pages about Burn Notice's Season 6 episode "Scorched Earth."

When Fiona turns herself in you see her walking up these stairs:

PDVD_000cc.jpg

She is walking into the Dade County Courthouse (being restored) on Flagler as this streetview shows:

Capture2.JPG

Edited by miamijimf
  • Like 1

One of these days I'm going to get around to watching the final 3 seasons of Burn Notice.  Right now I'm having too much fun with Miami Vice location hunting!

• Like 1

On 7/21/2015 at 5:17 PM, miamijimf said:

Thanks for the confirmation guys.  Here's an interesting problem.  In the final scene of Jack of all Trades, Swi and Sonny stand on the shoreline and watch Jack speed away in a little boat.  Where are they?  My guess is Virginia Key because you see the skyline and the Grove? in the background.  It looks like those tiny islands in the old aerial photos from the 80s.  Here is a screen cap.  Click for larger image.

PDVD 000

Check out this view from "The Great McCarthy".  This is the last shot of the boats before they cross the finish line:

Great_Mc3.png

It looks similar to the end of "Jack of All Trades", though without the islands and with a different zoom:

gallery_14_8_95326.jpg

And here is a view from "Payback" showing a small island near that launching point which is not seen at historicaerials.com:

Payback1.png

Edited by airtommy

Looks like one of the small islands in Biscayne Bay that Christo covered in Pink in the 80's. 

image.jpeg

Edited by TheGreatMcCarthy

15 hours ago, airtommy said:
15 hours ago, airtommy said:

Check out this view from "The Great McCarthy".  This is the last shot of the boats before they cross the finish line:

Great_Mc3.png

It looks similar to the end of "Jack of All Trades", though without the islands and with a different zoom:

gallery_14_8_95326.jpg

And here is a view from "Payback" showing a small island near that launching point which is not seen at historicaerials.com:

Payback1.png

Great_Mc3.png

gallery_14_8_95326.jpg

Payback1.png

Way to look airtommy, that is the same background for sure just closer to the skyline.  The question is what does that tell us about where the Jack of all Trades shot was taken from?  In your McCarthy screen cap you see a bridge to the left which was hidden by the pine islands in the Jack of all Trades shot.  This seems to rule out the tip of Mashta point or the NW corner of Key Biscayne as where the Jack of all Trade shot was taken.  I’m going to have to spend more time looking at this.  Didn’t get a chance to check this out on my last trip to Miami, the skyline has changed so much, I’m not sure it would have helped anyway.

Edited by miamijimf

3 hours ago, miamijimf said:

3 hours ago, miamijimf said:

Way to look airtommy, that is the same background for sure just closer to the skyline.  The question is what does that tell us about where the Jack of all Trades shot was taken from?  In your McCarthy screen cap you see a bridge to the left which was hidden by the pine islands in the Jack of all Trades shot.  This seems to rule out the tip of Mashta point or the NW corner of Key Biscayne as where the Jack of all Trade shot was taken.  I’m going to have to spend more time looking at this.  Didn’t get a chance to check this out on my last trip to Miami, the skyline has changed so much, I’m not sure it would have helped anyway.

Be nice to find the Jack of all Trades location - looks like an exact shot from The Great MCCarthy location - could it be from Bill Baggs ?:D

The house that Phil Collins just bought on Miami Beach and posted by mvnyc looks like 4731 Pine Tree Drive, Miami Beach that appeared in Freefall and other places.  Has this come up before?  Check mvnyc's link at http://www.wsj.com/articles/inside-phil-collinss-new-miami-beach-home-1434650497  What do you think?

1 hour ago, airtommy said:

Yup, that's Villa Crono.  I totally missed that when I read the Phil Collins story.  How perfect!

Yes it is a perfect match for him since he reportedly enjoyed his guest appearance so much on Vice.  I'll bet he knew about the history of the house before he bought it.

58 minutes ago, Matt5 said:

Amazing he bought the "Freefall" house:)

It turns out we were wrong.  He bought a house at 5800 N. Bayshore Drive which has no Vice connection, but is very cool nonetheless.

The problem arose because the first photo in the Wall Street Journal page that mvnyc posted was a photo of the Freefall mansion but did not give an address.  A subsequent convincing article gave an address and photos of a different house.  The Wall Street Journal's web master posted the wrong photo.

Edited by miamijimf
  • Like 1

Phil the Shill living in Miami Beach near the "Freefall " house and "Heroes of the Revolution " house is still pretty cool :-))

On January 11, 2012 at 10:02 PM, C Glide said:

CC10:I was just taking a look at The Great McCarthy and I discovered something which leads me to introduce cold case 10. I think this one should be relatively less hard to solve for a cold case compared to some of the other seemingly impossible cases we have solved. I say this because of the "limiting factors" that I see. The location is fairly limited as to where it could be. I am talking about Vanessa's house as we see it at the end of the episode.

Eingefügtes Bild

If this was the "Payback" house, it's possible that the white thing with windows across the street was a temporary structure like a trailer.  McCarthy's house was nearby, as was the yacht club.  They probably staged much of the boat race from here.  They must have had tons of equipment that they wanted to park somewhere and the streets don't offer much room, so why not park it on the vacant lot?

Edited by airtommy

I noticed another detail.  When Tubbs rings the doorbell, you can see there is a white wall jutting out perpendicular to the doorway.  The Payback house has the same thing.

Great_Mc10.png

Great_Mc11.png

Arguments in favor of this house:

1. convenience for filming - it's very close to the yacht club and McCarthy's house
  2. matching shape and uncommon red color of driveway
  3. to the right of the doorway: curved wall for staircase
  4. to the left of the doorway: flat wall perpendicular to doors
Edited by airtommy
  • Like 1