Calling all Detectives: Group effort

C Glide

29 minutes ago, Crockettt said:

Matt5 don't forget that original 20 Harbor Point house was demolished and replaced by new one.

2jagqq0.jpg

Yes I noticed on Streetview - such a shame 

• 2 months later...
On ‎12‎/‎16‎/‎2011 at 0:11 AM, C Glide said:

I think it is time to introduce cold case 6. From the Pilot, The turtle shell tiki bar where Leon gets wacked. There is an abundance of clues yet it stays hidden.First, the name. I believe based on the plactic drink glass seen in the scene that the name of the place was Hock's Turtle Shell Tiki Bar.Eingefügtes BildThe beach does not have a buffer of beach grass between the building and the sandy beach. It may at first seem like that would not be a big deal but it is fairly rare in this area. The beach is what I will call a mid width beach. About 50 yards of sand is my guesss. Narrower than South Beach but I think likely wider than allot of Key Biscayne which is an area w/o grass between the water and the buildings. Now there have been dredgeing programs since Vice time to build up the beaches so things may have changed all though the grass sittuation likely has not.There is a short beach wall at the start of the property.Eingefügtes BildTo me the building clearly appears to be a hotel with a unique look.Eingefügtes BildEingefügtes BildThe pool is also distinctive. A large what I will call lip and a semi-circular shaped staircase into the water that if the pool still existed would be visible I believe from sat. view.Eingefügtes BildThe building next door is also identifiableEingefügtes BildEingefügtes BildThis has been much harder to find than it should be so lets get it solved:thumbsup:

This post from 5 years ago I look back on today as I watched the Pilot on Blue Ray now and it stuck out to me on Blue Ray that the cup says Ho Jo's. I have a feeling that the Blue Ray will help find locations as there is a big difference. I also notice that the nighttime scenes have been lightened up, at least the shadows, so much more of the background is visible.

• Like 5

• 1 month later...

C Glide, Did you ever consider doing the movie - The Perez Family, 1995, with Marisa Tomei ? Very funny, good shots of the Orange Bowl, and very realistic.  Shows the Cuban migration to Miami from the perspective of the immigrants.  An important chapter in Miami's history.

14 hours ago, miamijimf said:

C Glide, Did you ever consider doing the movie - The Perez Family, 1995, with Marisa Tomei ? Very funny, good shots of the Orange Bowl, and very realistic.  Shows the Cuban migration to Miami from the perspective of the immigrants.  An important chapter in Miami's history.

Interesting Jim never heard of this movie but I love Marisa Tomei !

2 hours ago, Matt5 said:

Interesting Jim never heard of this movie but I love Marisa Tomei !

Great movie, I'm going to buy the DVD and use it in my book.

On September 14, 2016 at 8:47 PM, airtommy said:

Wow, I totally missed CGlide's post with a link to some photos of the house:

http://miamiviceonline.com/index.php?/topic/12665-episode-8-the-great-mccarthy/&do=findComment&comment=198887

wp8cea15cf.png

Great_Mc12.png

That driveway is a perfect match.  I agree the evidence is overwhelming!  Arguments in favor of this house:

1. convenience for filming - it's very close to the yacht club and McCarthy's house
  2. matching shape and uncommon red color of driveway with exact same tile pattern
  3. to the right of the doorway: curved wall for staircase
  4. to the left of the doorway: flat wall perpendicular to doors

Not tossing cold water on anything. But that isn't red tile. It's just colored concrete and the pattern is hand pressed into the mud with a tool just after it's poured. 

We have a ton of driveways like this in OC, California.

But the other data is spot on.

• 2 weeks later...

Those of you that like a location challenge, where was this scene from The Perez Family filmed?  My guess is SoBe looking at Fisher Island? Thanks.

PDVD_002oo.jpg

PDVD_003kk.jpg

PDVD_001.jpg

PDVD_003kk.jpg

PDVD_002oo.jpg

PDVD_003kk.jpg

PDVD_001.jpg

PDVD_003kk.jpg

PDVD_002oo.jpg

PDVD_003kk.jpg

PDVD_001.jpg

PDVD_003kk.jpg

Edited by miamijimf
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, miamijimf said:

Those of you that like a location challenge, where was this scene from The Perez Family filmed?  My guess is SoBe looking at Fisher Island? Thanks.

You're exactly right.  She's at South Pointe somewhere near Smith & Wollensky Restaurant.

Can somebody give me a ride to the hospital?  I just looked at the restaurant's prices and had a heart attack.  :eek:

Edited by airtommy
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, miamijimf said:

PDVD_002oo.jpg

PDVD_003kk.jpg

PDVD_001.jpg

PDVD_003kk.jpg

PDVD_002oo.jpg

PDVD_003kk.jpg

PDVD_001.jpg

PDVD_003kk.jpg

PDVD_002oo.jpg

PDVD_003kk.jpg

PDVD_001.jpg

PDVD_003kk.jpg

Great view Jim ! thanks for posting 

On the subject of views as you know I'm in the Miami area from 1 Jan - 6 Feb - using Miami as a base really . I will start a new thread in Miami Travel but this is where I am currently .:done:

IMG_0531.JPG

IMG_0558.JPG

Edited by Matt5
  • Like 4

Ive been in touch with Jeremy (Charlie glide) and Jim who have seen these and following my travels and updates  - but just wanted some of you guys to see these .

The first shot the building ( Villa Regina and The Palace next door) is very famous with Miami Vice  :dance:

Edited by Matt5
  • Like 1

Thanks airtommy and Matt.  Here's a tough one for all you sleuths.  Where in the Gables is this house?  I've been searching without luck through the old section near Coral Way that seems most likely.  Along with the house pics are other shots, probably the same street or nearby.  My guess is the speed zone is for a school, might be a hint.  The last pic w/ the lady cop is the front yard.  Thanks in advance.

PDVD_00210.jpg

nearby house.jpg

PDVD_00ff1.jpg

PDVD_001tt.jpg

PDVD_002.jpg

PDVD_003.jpg

PDVD_004.jpg

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, airtommy said:

What movie is this from?  To me, it feels more like Coconut Grove rather than Coral Gables.

The Perez Family.  Pretty sure it's the Gables, check the ornate lamp post in the 3d pic from the top - typical of the Gables at intersections.  They say in the movie it's the Gables, which might or might not be worth something.

Edited by miamijimf
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Matt5 said:

On the subject of views as you know I'm in the Miami area from 1 Jan - 6 Feb - using Miami as a base really . I will start a new thread in Miami Travel but this is where I am currently .:done:

IMG_0531.JPG

IMG_0558.JPG

You lucky guy Matt!  Cheers!  :cheers:  

• Like 1

Cool pic!  I'm impressed that you got into one of those buildings for that overhead shot.  That was a heavy scene down on that dock, a conversation between Crockett & Tubbs.

french12.jpg

Edited by airtommy
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, miamijimf said:

The Perez Family.  Pretty sure it's the Gables, check the ornate lamp post in the 3d pic from the top - typical of the Gables at intersections.  They say in the movie it's the Gables, which might or might not be worth something.

Interesting mystery.  In that 3rd pic, way off in the distance you see two stop signs and what looks like a green field.  That field could be part of the school in question.

I've read that Coral Gables has its street signs down on the ground at the curb.  Try re-watching the scene looking for those.

Edited by airtommy
  • Like 1

Thanks Tom, yes those Gables stone street markers are unique.  Haven't seen them yet but I'll look again.  There is a good chance that the huge banyan tree is still there, the Gables has rules against removing trees.  Unfortunately there are many trees like that but if they haven't changed the house much finding it is just a matter of time.

Edited by miamijimf