Calling all Detectives: Group effort

C Glide

On 12/26/2017 at 1:09 PM, miamijimf said:

Here's a photo, I think from the 70s.  Santa's helpers are a little jealous of his new friend.  About where on Biscayne Bay was Santa's boat located?

25994658_1602175396516001_2292022851146582770_n.jpg

Are those the Four Ambassadors in the top left?  I think the boat is near the Rusty Pelican on the Rickenbacker Causeway.

Also, anyone know how long the building for Rusty Pelican has been there? Was it always the Rusty Pelican? I caught myself looking for it last night on “Yankee Dollar” in the background of some of those restaurant/bar scenes to no avail. 

7 minutes ago, Dadrian said:

Also, anyone know how long the building for Rusty Pelican has been there? Was it always the Rusty Pelican? I caught myself looking for it last night on “Yankee Dollar” in the background of some of those restaurant/bar scenes to no avail. 

I've never found any info on the history of the restaurant and the building.  I know that you can see it in Caddyshack.

• Thanks 1

51 minutes ago, airtommy said:

Are those the Four Ambassadors in the top left?  I think the boat is near the Rusty Pelican on the Rickenbacker Causeway.

I agree.

13 minutes ago, miamijimf said:

I agree.

After diverting my attention away long enough from the mermaid on Santa’s lap I can now see they are the four ambassadors :cheers::)

• Haha 2

33 minutes ago, Dadrian said:

No idea I went there in 2005 and the end explosion scene from Season 4s “Baseballs of Death” must have been pretty much filmed from right outside there:cheers::thumbsup:

• Like 1

On 3.01.2018 at 11:39 AM, Crockettt said:

Prison Break, episode "The Sunshine State" from Season 4. Looks like Dodge Island.

MV5BMTYwMDYxMzQzNl5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwNjQ4

On 3.01.2018 at 12:45 PM, Matt5 said:

Looks like an enhanced image blown up of the skyline. The location of the background would have the Prison Break team on the old Port of Miami bridge going to Dodge Is.!:hippie::)

I thought it was filmed inside Royal Carribean Cruises on Dodge Island. :)  @airtommy what do you think?

9 hours ago, Crockettt said:

I thought it was filmed inside Royal Carribean Cruises on Dodge Island. :)  @airtommy what do you think?

Looking at Google Street View and placing the marker on the bridge to the Port near where it hits the Port, the angle seems about right.  I'm especially looking at the angle of the black and white building in the center of the pic.  The Royal building seems like the wrong angle to me.  And if we were looking from the Royal building, we wouldn't see Bayside.  The buildings near where the bridge hits the Port are a better match.  But Matt's idea that the background window is fake makes the most sense.  The buildings look closer in this pic than they do on Google Street View.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, airtommy said:

Looking at Google Street View and placing the marker on the bridge to the Port near where it hits the Port, the angle seems about right.  I'm especially looking at the angle of the black and white building in the center of the pic.  The Royal building seems like the wrong angle to me.  And if we were looking from the Royal building, we wouldn't see Bayside.  The buildings near where the bridge hits the Port are a better match.  But Matt's idea that the background window is fake makes the most sense.  The buildings look closer in this pic than they do on Google Street View.

Prison Break episode "The Sunshine State" aired 22 December 2008, construction of 50 Biscayne was completed 2007, but it's very much absent in the scenery, with the Miami Tower clearly visible between City National Bank building and the New World Tower (100 Biscayne), so it has to be a backdrop.

MV5BMTYwMDYxMzQzNl5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwNjQ4Bayside.jpg.1f2e4a7456c12cf415d709ceabecc046.jpg

Edited by daytona365
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, airtommy said:

Nice detective work, daytona365!  And I agree with Matt5 that the backdrop photo was taken from the Port of Miami bridge.

Yes definately that looked like a blow up still and now the confirmation of that building in 2007 seals the deal:cheers:

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Dadrian said:

This is an aerial online I found of the Rusty Pelican and is also the area just above the building where the finale of “Baseballs of Death” was filmed here (explosion):thumbsup:

F23A50FD-DDE8-4A45-A191-70F6619D941A.jpeg

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Matt5 said:

This is an aerial online I found of the Rusty Pelican and is also the area just above the building where the finale of “Baseballs of Death” was filmed here (explosion):thumbsup:

F23A50FD-DDE8-4A45-A191-70F6619D941A.jpeg

"Also, anyone know how long the building for Rusty Pelican has been there? "

According to this site it has been a Rusty Pelican since May of 72.  https://www.specialtyrestaurants.com/our-story

It is such a scenic spot I would bet the location was in use before that date.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, miamijimf said:

According to this site it has been a Rusty Pelican since May of 72.  https://www.specialtyrestaurants.com/our-story

Interesting Jim - great views at the RP much like Yaze as seen in “Yankee Dollar” and “Walk Alone”:cheers:

A great shot on my Facebook feed tonight of Miami at sunset from South Pointe Park/ Government Cut - much like the angle seen in the Director’s Cut of the 2006 “Miami Vice “ movie as the go faster boats come through here towards Miami Beach Marina (out of picture):cheers:

60BC7FE6-986F-4E08-B2F2-CBCF066DBADB.jpeg

Edited by Matt5
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Matt5 said:

Interesting Jim - great views at the RP much like Yaze as seen in “Yankee Dollar” and “Walk Alone”:cheers:

Yes indeed.  Ref: What was there before the Rusty Pelican before 72:  Historical Aerials shows some small buildings but nothing as big as the Rusty Pelican.

8 minutes ago, miamijimf said:

Yes indeed.  Ref: What was there before the Rusty Pelican before 72:  Historical Aerials shows some small buildings but nothing as big as the Rusty Pelican.

The Rusty Pelican was never featured on Miami Vice. Yaze was featured twice in those episodes I mentioned. Interesting about the small buildings probrably fishing shacks or part of the boat yards near RP and Yaze. 

The RP was seen momentarily in the Miami Vice Season 4 episode “Blood and Roses” from 1988 during the Dangerous Game montage as our hero’s rush to save Gina at the end. It’s a shot we didn’t see at all often in Vice as they head over the bridge towards Brickell - where you see the RP in the distance.(see from Jeremy’s website pic below):cheers:

2D0E8327-66B1-457E-BE58-635355ACC51E.png

Edited by Matt5
  • Like 3

7 hours ago, miamijimf said:

According to this information it was opened in 1972 and burned down in 1985, which might explain why it was never featured in MV.

Edited by daytona365
  • Like 2

Has the best views of any restaurant in Miami IMO.  Last time I was there I discovered it bills itself as a "gourmet restaurant" with overpriced and strange sounding dishes.  Yet some regular seafood entrees are available.

I’ll just leave this here from May of 2016. :thumbsup:

I don’t remember our bill being too outrageous. There were some really rich-looking ppl there though. :) 

569C1A02-DE14-499E-AB16-7D6065BCE993.jpeg

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, Dadrian said:

I’ll just leave this here from May of 2016. :thumbsup:

I don’t remember our bill being too outrageous. There were some really rich-looking ppl there though. :) 

569C1A02-DE14-499E-AB16-7D6065BCE993.jpeg

Beautiful!

• Thanks 1

Here is a WWII photo that I'm pretty sure was taken in Miami Beach because my Dad attended an electronics course on the Beach.   Many of the Ocean Drive and Collins Ave hotels were taken over for billeting and mess halls by the military.  Any idea about where this serviceman is standing? 

Scanoooo2.jpg

Edited by miamijimf
  • Like 3

On 25/01/2018 at 6:11 PM, miamijimf said:

Here is a WWII photo that I'm pretty sure was taken in Miami Beach because my Dad attended an electronics course on the Beach.   Many of the Ocean Drive and Collins Ave hotels were taken over for billeting and mess halls by the military.  Any idea about where this serviceman is standing? 

Scanoooo2.jpg

Great photo Jim 

The Anchor?

2 hours ago, Matt5 said:

Great photo Jim 

The Anchor?

No steps in front of the Anchor and the entrance is different.  The size of the hotel and the style says Miami but this is such an old pic the location may never be found.

Edited by miamijimf