Calling all Detectives: Group effort

C Glide

[SIZE=3">

I also noticed the missing cross walk light. To me it could make sense to be there because it was mid block and you had apartment buildings right there. Then the buildings go followed by the modernization program that put the electric' date='cable,phone, underground. Why spend the money to wire a light when the peolpe don't live there anymore. There are a number of things that convince me this is the spot but the most important are the metrorail bridge lights, the remaining building, and there was an appropriate sized and shaped building there in the sat. pictures.[/size']

Fantastic SoflaJeremy !:D

Quite a feat that you found it. There's nothing left to distinguish it besides a small building in the far distance. I'm pretty amazed. Good idea on looking back in time on Google Earth. Too bad it doesn't go back to the eighties. The nineties images were low res enough to make it hard to tell.Now I guess the street corner. So much has changed I guess. Anyone have any idea about the building across the street? Chances are it was located in the Brickell area, and all that has changed since the eighties. Where else can we find old 4 to 5 story buildings? I've been all through downtown on Google Maps and can't find it. Google images isn't helping much either.

Quite a feat that you found it. There's nothing left to distinguish it besides a small building in the far distance. I'm pretty amazed. Good idea on looking back in time on Google Earth. Too bad it doesn't go back to the eighties. The nineties images were low res enough to make it hard to tell.Now I guess the street corner. So much has changed I guess. Anyone have any idea about the building across the street? Chances are it was located in the Brickell area' date=' and all that has changed since the eighties. Where else can we find old 4 to 5 story buildings? I've been all through downtown on Google Maps and can't find it. Google images isn't helping much either.[/quote']Gives me renewed belief that we can, in time, find anything.A quick revie:CC1: Milk Run exploding lab-FOUNDCC2: Ross' house GT1--- FOUNDCC3: Street corner, Biscayne General Merchadise, 202--still unsolvedCC4: Rear of restaurant from HOD. appears to be on bay-- unsolvedCC5: I had not officially named it but we have talked about it here, the Blue Dolphin from HOD--unsolved

Fantastic job finding the exploding lab house Charlie- never lost faith that it would be found but a few doubts were starting to creep in.Ref CC5 I think we can call the interior bar scene at the end of HOD found. The FB lady I mentioned is a retired cop who grew up in North Miami and worked there for over 20 years. She worked security for this episode among others and several movies made in Miami. She wrote: "My dad knew the owner of the Tin Lizzie and we ate there often. I know for a fact that there were interior bar scenes that were filmed inside the Tin Lizzie the night I was there. A friend of mine from high school that i had not seen in a long time until that night was one of the extras." I gave her the link to watch HOD on line and she watched it for the first time in years and then wrote: "Thanks for the link to the NBC website with the classic TV episodes. I watched HoD and the interior bar scene at the end of the episode is definitely inside the Tin Lizzie . . . 100% certain of that." I looked her up on line and she seems to check out. Also we know that the Tin Lizzie's parking lot was used in HOD so it would make sense that they used the interior while there.The location of The Blue Dolphin Lounge (or the place supposed to be the Lounge) used as an establishing shot for this bar scene is still a mystery. Eingefügtes Bild

• Like 1

Fantastic job finding the exploding lab house Charlie- never lost faith that it would be found but a few doubts were starting to creep in.Ref CC5 I think we can call the interior bar scene at the end of HOD found. The FB lady I mentioned is a retired cop who grew up in North Miami and worked there for over 20 years. She worked security for this episode among others and several movies made in Miami. She wrote: "My dad knew the owner of the Tin Lizzie and we ate there often. I know for a fact that there were interior bar scenes that were filmed inside the Tin Lizzie the night I was there. A friend of mine from high school that i had not seen in a long time until that night was one of the extras." I gave her the link to watch HOD on line and she watched it for the first time in years and then wrote: "Thanks for the link to the NBC website with the classic TV episodes. I watched HoD and the interior bar scene at the end of the episode is definitely inside the Tin Lizzie . . . 100% certain of that." I looked her up on line and she seems to check out. Also we know that the Tin Lizzie's parking lot was used in HOD so it would make sense that they used the interior while there.The location of The Blue Dolphin Lounge (or the place supposed to be the Lounge) used as an establishing shot for this bar scene is still a mystery. Eingefügtes Bild

The exterior could be stock footage from LA perhaps Jim:D:D

The exterior could be stock footage from LA perhaps Jim:D:D

UGGGH' date=' don't say that that would really stink. Well anyway it is possible but I doubt it. I spent allot of time looking for it so if were LA, it would be a cruel hoax.[/size']

Great work. Sad that it is gone. I would still like a picture to 100% tie it down. Being that close to the studio I am surprised they did not use it more. Guess it just did not have a very Vice look. More New York.

Great work. Sad that it is gone. I would still like a picture to 100% tie it down. Being that close to the studio I am surprised they did not use it more. Guess it just did not have a very Vice look. More New York.

Yes very un Vice like i agree:D

I think it is time to introduce cold case 6. From the Pilot, The turtle shell tiki bar where Leon gets wacked. There is an abundance of clues yet it stays hidden.First, the name. I believe based on the plactic drink glass seen in the scene that the name of the place was Hock's Turtle Shell Tiki Bar.Eingefügtes BildThe beach does not have a buffer of beach grass between the building and the sandy beach. It may at first seem like that would not be a big deal but it is fairly rare in this area. The beach is what I will call a mid width beach. About 50 yards of sand is my guesss. Narrower than South Beach but I think likely wider than allot of Key Biscayne which is an area w/o grass between the water and the buildings. Now there have been dredgeing programs since Vice time to build up the beaches so things may have changed all though the grass sittuation likely has not.There is a short beach wall at the start of the property.Eingefügtes BildTo me the building clearly appears to be a hotel with a unique look.Eingefügtes BildEingefügtes BildThe pool is also distinctive. A large what I will call lip and a semi-circular shaped staircase into the water that if the pool still existed would be visible I believe from sat. view.Eingefügtes BildThe building next door is also identifiableEingefügtes BildEingefügtes BildThis has been much harder to find than it should be so lets get it solved:thumbsup:

RE: CC4; I think Trio, next door to the Crab House on the JFK Causeway in North Bay Village shows some potential but it may take boots on the ground to determine if it fits.

The pilot case is interesting I thought Key Biscayne :D

Yes. I do not see anything that stands today that matches up but perhaps a search of vintage post cards will turn something up. I am also going to take a look at the Great McCarthy to see if anything in the scene flmed out there matches up. I don't think so but it is worth a look.

Yes. I do not see anything that stands today that matches up but perhaps a search of vintage post cards will turn something up. I am also going to take a look at the Great McCarthy to see if anything in the scene flmed out there matches up. I don't think so but it is worth a look.

Jeremy, do you think that CC6 from the pilot could be filmed in South Beach but below 5th as the hotels were/are closer to the beach there than further up the Ocean Drive where Lummus Park starts to lie between the beach and hotels? A lot of the pilot was filmed in locations which were used a lot in later episodes. Sadly a lot if the area below 5th was destroyed after MV filming but maybe we can tie up that hotel behind C&T in your screen caps. They might not be there any more but I'm going off to start going through S1With the Biscayne Merchandise location (cc3??) - are there films which were filmed pre-90s around this area which might give us clues?

Yes I have considered that as a definite possibility but have not seen anything that matches up. Maybe you will find something but that exact area was not used in S1 if my memory is correct. It was used in season 2. Buddies had three scenes in that section. When she is walking the streets in front of #54, a low probability scene, then the corsair and then again at Marjorie Douglas park. Then Sons and Lovers was at the Corsair for a couple of scenes.I did a GE flyover the coast from Key Biscayne up to Hollywood. I was scaning for a pool that would match up. Sometimes they redo a hotel but save money by refurbishing the pool instead of putting in a new one. Well, no luck. With the Biscayne Merchandise location (cc3??) - are there films which were filmed pre-90s around this area which might give us clues?

Yes, and great thinking but I cannot recall any that would have footage in that area.

Ref CC6: I just watched that scene looking to see if the old SoBe Pier was visible. A couple of things struck me about the scene. Overall it gives you the impression that it is a hotel. However if you look closely at the construction of the Patio Bar, stairs, inside paneling, wooden corners etc, it is kind of rough for a Miami Beach hotel and the bar might have been built just for the scene. Also this below screen capture does not look like the beach front side of any hotel I have seen or remember. It looks more like an apartment building with the awnings, etc. It's not a first class place and makes me think it's not Miami Beach. Maybe Key Biscayne or further North of the Beach? Eingefügtes Bild

Yes. I do not see anything that stands today that matches up but perhaps a search of vintage post cards will turn something up. I am also going to take a look at the Great McCarthy to see if anything in the scene flmed out there matches up. I don't think so but it is worth a look.[/SIZE">
Well how about the Mar Azul Condo at 600 Grapetree Drive. The second and third story baclonies look just like those in the photo. The pool definitely looks promising. It was built in 1974. No buildings next door to match' date=' but we all know how that goes. The wooden structure doesn't look like it's there, and I can't find historical pictures to confirm.[url']http://maps.google.ca/maps?q=miami&hl=en&ll=25.684559,-80.156195&spn=0.000995,0.001742&sll=49.891235,-97.15369&sspn=46.68526,114.169922&vpsrc=6&hnear=Miami,+Miami-Dade,+Florida,+United+States&t=h&z=20

No, I got the wrong building. In the shot where Crockett and Tubbs are further away there are notched corners to the building and white stripes running along each floor at the balcony level. I've got a feeling this is a smaller building also. The building's shadow doesn't appear to be massive. I also spotted a pool that looked right north of Miami Beach but the building doesn't match. In that case the pool is square.

No' date=' I got the wrong building. In the shot where Crockett and Tubbs are further away there are notched corners to the building and white stripes running along each floor at the balcony level. I've got a feeling this is a smaller building also. The building's shadow doesn't appear to be massive. I also spotted a pool that looked right north of Miami Beach but the building doesn't match. In that case the pool is square.[/quote']Excelleny try though:D

RE: CC6; I came across this behind the scenes picture that is somewhat helpful. It would be a big help if it were greater resolution but it does at least show the next several buildings to the south are low rise.Eingefügtes BildI have spotted a possibility in Sunny Isles Beach. The address would be approximately 18911 A1A. Ocean III now stands on the site but here is a sat. pic. from 12/25/1999.Eingefügtes Bild I will be trying to locate pictures of the structure that was there in the 80's and 90's.

I am now leaning away from Key Biscayne and toward Sunny Isles for CC6. There is a second spot , approx. address would be 17600 Collins that looks good. It is now a vacant lot but old sat. pics. show a very good match up. The trick will be to find old photos.

I 100% agree on the area. There are several smaller and older hotels still standing. Here's an example:http://maps.google.ca/maps?q=miami&hl=en&ll=25.94696,-80.119354&spn=0.000992,0.001742&sll=53.514185,-112.675781&sspn=21.492508,57.084961&vpsrc=6&hnear=Miami,+Miami-Dade,+Florida,+United+States&t=h&z=20&layer=c&cbll=25.94696,-80.119354&cbp=12,0,,0,0&photoid=po-7693006and more:http://maps.google.ca/maps?q=miami&hl=en&ll=25.948483,-80.120755&spn=0.000992,0.001742&sll=53.514185,-112.675781&sspn=21.492508,57.084961&vpsrc=6&hnear=Miami,+Miami-Dade,+Florida,+United+States&t=h&z=20&layer=c&cbll=25.948483,-80.120755&panoid=bBt7w7re-yrUbOfRIgTNLQ&cbp=12,123.08,,0,-3.31http://maps.google.ca/maps?q=miami&hl=en&ll=25.950126,-80.120658&spn=0.000992,0.001742&sll=53.514185,-112.675781&sspn=21.492508,57.084961&vpsrc=6&hnear=Miami,+Miami-Dade,+Florida,+United+States&t=h&z=20&layer=c&cbll=25.950219,-80.120655&panoid=Zltoqe6s_o5WBITPGmnqaQ&cbp=12,79.09,,0,2.22http://maps.google.ca/maps?q=miami&hl=en&ll=25.951751,-80.120529&spn=0.000992,0.001742&sll=53.514185,-112.675781&sspn=21.492508,57.084961&vpsrc=6&hnear=Miami,+Miami-Dade,+Florida,+United+States&t=h&z=20&layer=c&cbll=25.951751,-80.120529&panoid=0wxd8KeFegZFnF--2-araQ&cbp=12,118.04,,0,3.19http://maps.google.ca/maps?q=miami&hl=en&ll=25.980861,-80.117766&spn=0.000992,0.001742&sll=53.514185,-112.675781&sspn=21.492508,57.084961&vpsrc=6&hnear=Miami,+Miami-Dade,+Florida,+United+States&t=h&z=20&layer=c&cbll=25.980861,-80.117766&cbp=12,0,,0,0&photoid=po-63023821