Calling all Detectives: Group effort

C Glide

[SIZE=3">

I think it is time to introduce cold case 6. From the Pilot' date=' The turtle shell tiki bar where Leon gets wacked. There is an abundance of clues yet it stays hidden.First, the name. I believe based on the plactic drink glass seen in the scene that the name of the place was Hock's Turtle Shell Tiki Bar.[img']http://www.southfloridafilminglocations.com/wpimages/wpccfaddb2.pngThe beach does not have a buffer of beach grass between the building and the sandy beach. It may at first seem like that would not be a big deal but it is fairly rare in this area. The beach is what I will call a mid width beach. About 50 yards of sand is my guesss. Narrower than South Beach but I think likely wider than allot of Key Biscayne which is an area w/o grass between the water and the buildings. Now there have been dredgeing programs since Vice time to build up the beaches so things may have changed all though the grass sittuation likely has not.There is a short beach wall at the start of the property.Eingefügtes BildTo me the building clearly appears to be a hotel with a unique look.Eingefügtes BildEingefügtes BildThe pool is also distinctive. A large what I will call lip and a semi-circular shaped staircase into the water that if the pool still existed would be visible I believe from sat. view.Eingefügtes BildThe building next door is also identifiableEingefügtes BildEingefügtes BildThis has been much harder to find than it should be so lets get it solved:thumbsup:

Just need these pics on this page.

It's very close, but I don't think that's the one. I got excited when I first saw it, but if you look closely at the notched corner behind Crockett and Tubbs in the small picture, it's a wide edge and there are no windows on the side of the building. Also, the side doesn't jut out as far as it does in the MV pics. What do you think?

It's very close' date=' but I don't think that's the one. I got excited when I first saw it, but if you look closely at the notched corner behind Crockett and Tubbs in the small picture, it's a wide edge and there are no windows on the side of the building. Also, the side doesn't jut out as far as it does in the MV pics. What do you think?[/quote']I noticed that also but still think it is the location though I admit it is not 100% confirmed. I think we need to look for more old pictures to verify. There are allot of things that do match up but it bears further investigation.

I am also going to plug the dvd in and take another look. It would be nice if someone could provide a higher resolution version of the behind the scenes picture where we can see the buildings to the south behind C+T. That could be a huge help.

This has been an extremely amazing week or so of locating fiming locations. Here we have likely found the Turtle Shell Tiki Bar from the Pilot. A few things do not match up like the exterior wall length and the sliding doors facing the beach but there are many many things that do match up so work is not completed on that case yet. Then here also we found the lab from Milk Run and the interior of the Blue Dolphin. I had finally found cut 5 of the Leon drive from the Pilot. There are other locations that I received leads on via e-mail that you are likely not aware of yet. First two different people have provided leads on the movie Tony Rome. Somewhat of a surprise to me , this is appearently the most popular movie (based on e-mails) so far on my site. We all recognized the outside of the mansion as Villa Vizcaya but the interior was elusive. A resident of Palm Beach provided me the location that I have now confirmed 100% and will shortly add to my site. 860 South Ocean Blvd., Palm Beach. It is called Nuestro Paradiso, a great find. Also from Tony Rome, the site of the run down mansion that Tony follows Diana to and where the movie climaxes. This is right in Coconut Grove, wow has it changed and I have already updated my site with the info. It is S. Bayshore Dr. at Treasure Trove Lane. Then the Smokey and the Bandit 3 scene where the police car jumps thru the Milk truck was on Wiles Road in Coral Springs. We have narrowed down the area but not the precise point. Then there is another Miami Vice location from one of the first 65 episodes but that remains a secret since it is the subject of a location triva case that is open. Just a little update. I will post another cold case shortly. Give us some time to try to confirm or disprove the Tiki Bar.

This has been an extremely amazing week or so of locating fiming locations. Here we have likely found the Turtle Shell Tiki Bar from the Pilot. A few things do not match up like the exterior wall length and the sliding doors facing the beach but there are many many things that do match up so work is not completed on that case yet. Then here also we found the lab from Milk Run and the interior of the Blue Dolphin. I had finally found cut 5 of the Leon drive from the Pilot. There are other locations that I received leads on via e-mail that you are likely not aware of yet. First two different people have provided leads on the movie Tony Rome. Somewhat of a surprise to me ' date=' this is appearently the most popular movie (based on e-mails) so far on my site. We all recognized the outside of the mansion as Villa Vizcaya but the interior was elusive. A resident of Palm Beach provided me the location that I have now confirmed 100% and will shortly add to my site. 860 South Ocean Blvd., Palm Beach. It is called Nuestro Paradiso, a great find. Also from Tony Rome, the site of the run down mansion that Tony follows Diana to and where the movie climaxes. This is right in Coconut Grove, wow has it changed and I have already updated my site with the info. It is S. Bayshore Dr. at Treasure Trove Lane. Then the Smokey and the Bandit 3 scene where the police car jumps thru the Milk truck was on Wiles Road in Coral Springs. We have narrowed down the area but not the precise point. Then there is another Miami Vice location from one of the first 65 episodes but that remains a secret since it is the subject of a location triva case that is open. Just a little update. I will post another cold case shortly. Give us some time to try to confirm or disprove the Tiki Bar.[/color']

Wow - I will wait for your trusted confirmation SoflaJeremy for the the beach pilot scene - shot in Sunny Isles wow:D

This has been an extremely amazing week or so of locating fiming locations. Here we have likely found the Turtle Shell Tiki Bar from the Pilot. A few things do not match up like the exterior wall length and the sliding doors facing the beach but there are many many things that do match up so work is not completed on that case yet. Then here also we found the lab from Milk Run and the interior of the Blue Dolphin. I had finally found cut 5 of the Leon drive from the Pilot. There are other locations that I received leads on via e-mail that you are likely not aware of yet. First two different people have provided leads on the movie Tony Rome. Somewhat of a surprise to me ' date=' this is appearently the most popular movie (based on e-mails) so far on my site. We all recognized the outside of the mansion as Villa Vizcaya but the interior was elusive. A resident of Palm Beach provided me the location that I have now confirmed 100% and will shortly add to my site. 860 South Ocean Blvd., Palm Beach. It is called Nuestro Paradiso, a great find. Also from Tony Rome, the site of the run down mansion that Tony follows Diana to and where the movie climaxes. This is right in Coconut Grove, wow has it changed and I have already updated my site with the info. It is S. Bayshore Dr. at Treasure Trove Lane. Then the Smokey and the Bandit 3 scene where the police car jumps thru the Milk truck was on Wiles Road in Coral Springs. We have narrowed down the area but not the precise point. Then there is another Miami Vice location from one of the first 65 episodes but that remains a secret since it is the subject of a location triva case that is open. Just a little update. I will post another cold case shortly. Give us some time to try to confirm or disprove the Tiki Bar.[/color']

OMG - if it is the Thunderbird, I am going to be kicking myself .... my daughter and I stayed there in September 2007. I wouldn't recognise the pool area as it was closed for refurbishment & they were doing the work before the start of the popular winter season. Will go through our photos now to see if I can find anything of use to our location spotting.

Pilot - Tiki barI have only found 2 photos of the motel, taken from the beach. As mentioned before, the whole pool area was closed off for refurbishment in Sept 2007:Eingefügtes BildEingefügtes BildEingefügtes BildIf you want me to email copies of the original digital files so you see them more clearly than this smaller shots, please let me know

http://i988.photobucket.com/albums/af9/suzyuk111/100-0226-1.jpgEingefügtes BildEingefügtes BildIf you want me to email copies of the original digital files so you see them more clearly than this smaller shots, please let me know

While you were there did it look like they had already done some work on the beach end of the building. The doors and windows of the balconies or the side near the beach?

BTW we saw the front in the movie A Hole In THe Head.

So interesting - quite a find soflajeremy if indeed is the location - I never would have imagined that location was Sunny Isles they didnt shoot on that that area of beach hardly at all.:D

CC6: As great as parts of it match up, I am less convinced that the Thunderbird is the place. I have not ruled it out but still more work needs to be done. I have tried to find the designer's info or the builder's thinking they may have built other similar buildings in the area but can't find any info. I think vintage photos of Sunny Isles is the way to go. If someone can find that behind the scenes photo that shows some of the beach buildings to the south in higher resolution that could also be key. Sunny Isles does look like the place.

While you were there did it look like they had already done some work on the beach end of the building. The doors and windows of the balconies or the side near the beach?

I don't think they had. We had a room which was on the righthand side of the block, which overlooked the parking area. Our room was close to the beach end of the block but all they had done to our room was make our personal beach access door into a fire exit using the original illfitting door. I remember the block smelling of paint - they were upgrading the interior corridor & you had to be careful to avoid wet walls on your way to reception.My photos up & down the beach won't be of much help I'm afraid as all there is now around are those monstrosities built by Trump & Co

Still working on CC6. CarolineUK has provided me with a number of resources that I have checked out and created new leads. I finally have found another building with similar style. The Golden Gate Hotel. I will do more research tonight when I get home.Eingefügtes Bild

Still working on CC6. CarolineUK has provided me with a number of resources that I have checked out and created new leads. I finally have found another building with similar style. The Golden Gate Hotel. I will do more research tonight when I get home.[IMG">

http://i.ebayimg.com/t/GOLDEN-GATE-MIAMI-BEACH-FLORIDA-POSTCARD-/06/!CD-c8+gBWk~$(KGrHqMOKkUE0' date='TPLW0HBNQY+)VVF!~~_3.JPG[/img']

The Thunderbirds was so close - look forward to hearing your update on your latest development SoflaJeremy :D

Still working on CC6. CarolineUK has provided me with a number of resources that I have checked out and created new leads. I finally have found another building with similar style. The Golden Gate Hotel. I will do more research tonight when I get home.[IMG">

http://i.ebayimg.com/t/GOLDEN-GATE-MIAMI-BEACH-FLORIDA-POSTCARD-/06/!CD-c8+gBWk~$(KGrHqMOKkUE0' date='TPLW0HBNQY+)VVF!~~_3.JPG[/img']

Some more info on the Golden Gate Motel and Villashttp://motelpostcards.blogspot.com/2010/08/golden-gate-hotel-motel-and-villas.html:D