Calling all Detectives: Group effort

C Glide

Here's another shot...http://www.flickr.com/photos/hollywoodplace/5384735774/lightbox/And here's a good pic that CarolineUK posted the link to, but I wanted to look at this picture specifically. The site said around the 1980's. This pic looks like the Chateau by the sea hotel in question, but it's missing a neighbor in this pic.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v31/nobby/scan0006.jpg

5191[/ATTACH]However I have found a site which tells you about local properties and on it, there's a rather unflattering picture of the Miami Beach Club from the back - I know it's not the correct angle for our scene but it does look more like a strip mall building than a motel (which MiamiJim mentioned some posts back). [ATTACH=CONFIG]5192[/ATTACH]The site is here for anyone who wants to look at it in full:http://www.condoreports.com/real-estate-reports/miami-beach-club-a-motel-condo_sunny-isles_condo_597

The windows look good but I still need a better picture of the beach end to confirm the location 100% but awesome work. Looking good.

The windows look good but I still need a better picture of the beach end to confirm the location 100% but awesome work. Looking good.

I finally got Google Earth to work on my pc - the images from 1990 are so blurry. We could do with someone on the ground in miami to look at the beach view of the Miami Beach club :-) CGlide, in the meantime do you have some more unsolved locations which we can work on, please?

I finally got Google Earth to work on my pc - the images from 1990 are so blurry. We could do with someone on the ground in miami to look at the beach view of the Miami Beach club :-) CGlide' date=' in the meantime do you have some more unsolved locations which we can work on, please?[/quote']Yes, absolutely, I just finished work on the movie, All About The Benjamins which has a ton of great Miami locations. Now I will regroup and get organized so I can post a new unsolved case here for us to work on. I am still convinced that Sunny Isles is likely where CC6 was filmed.

Yes' date=' absolutely, I just finished work on the movie, All About The Benjamins which has a ton of great Miami locations. Now I will regroup and get organized so I can post a new unsolved case here for us to work on. I am still convinced that Sunny Isles is likely where CC6 was filmed. [/color']

Ref CC6 not all of the windows match - but is a likely candidate - how odd they went to Sunny Isles for that scene they did not film there much during the show:D

Ref CC6 not all of the windows match - but is a likely candidate - how odd they went to Sunny Isles for that scene they did not film there much during the show:D

Matt, I thought exactly the same thing. Although recalling my first visit to Miami in 1980, South Beach was full of the elderly people as seen in some of the vice eps - so maybe they had more "crowd control" at the Sunny Isles location & were able to bring in lots of pretty young things of both genders as extras to sunbathe & play volleyball? Also they might have had the scenery men install the beach bar which was a major piece in the scene as the space was there. Taking this a step further, if the location scouts had to find a place which led directly on to the beach, most of Ocean Drive would be a no-no, plus Sunny Isles isn't too far from the studios.

Matt' date=' I thought exactly the same thing. Although recalling my first visit to Miami in 1980, South Beach was full of the elderly people as seen in some of the vice eps - so maybe they had more "crowd control" at the Sunny Isles location & were able to bring in lots of pretty young things of both genders as extras to sunbathe & play volleyball? Also they might have had the scenery men install the beach bar which was a major piece in the scene as the space was there. Taking this a step further, if the location scouts had to find a place which led directly on to the beach, most of Ocean Drive would be a no-no, plus Sunny Isles isn't too far from the studios.[/quote']Yes, as I mentioned in an earlier post, the beach bar looks crudely constructed and does not look like the kind of a hotel bar you would see on the beach. For sleuth's looking for a case to work on- check Hank's find of a house in the thread- Miami Movie - Deep Throat. Is he right?

QUOTE=miamijimf;246219]Yes, as I mentioned in an earlier post, the beach bar looks crudely constructed and does not look like the kind of a hotel bar you would see on the beach. For sleuth's looking for a case to work on- check Hank's find of a house in the thread- Miami Movie - Deep Throat. Is he right?I saw that thread but don't have the movie. I will take a look at the clips soon to see if it matches but first; I will introduce Cold Case 7:From episode 14 Golden Triangle, the home of Castillo's wife. This house is defnitely findable. 1) It is on a residential street but somewhat of a main street. I base that on seeing a yellow line painted down the center of the road which is absent in smaller, less traveled neighborhoods.2) There are houses on both sides of the street.3)The house maybe at the end of a straight section of road and it may be where the road starts to curve possibly to the east away from her house. It just looks like the road starts to curve but I could be wrong on that.4) Back then there were still allot of wooden utility poles. Here the pole in the background is concrete. Likely a money area despite no being a huge house.5) The property has a longer than average driveway with a unique shape. Like a T and F combined with the top right of the T going into/under a car port.6) There is a 1 story, single family house across the street with a driveway on the left as you look from the street.7) It is a limited view but still no hi-rises are seen in the background.[Photo A}Eingefügtes Bild[Photo B}Eingefügtes Bild

CC7 continued:8) Very unique roof line.[Photo C}Eingefügtes Bild9) Unique door if it is unchanged. My bet is it is the same but probably painted a different color, just a hunch.[Phot D}Eingefügtes Bild

10) She opens the door and the sun is seen shimmering of the water in the backyard. This means the location is greatly narrowed down because the house is on the water.11) It also means that the house is most likely facing east (afternoon filming) or less likely west (morning filming). My bet is the front faces east and when she opens the door we are looking thru the house to the west because they also did a night shot which makes it all one trip. They did not generally start shooting early enough for sunrise shots but late hours were common enough.[Photo E}Eingefügtes Bild12) In the shot of C+T nothing is seen in the bg. No hi-rises, etc[Photo F}Eingefügtes Bild

13) It appears the house is set way back on the property toward the water which I think is not the norm. Most people prefer a large private backyard to a more public front yard but in this case the house seems to be on the rear 30% of the lot while the front yard consist of about the first 70% of the property.[Photo G}Eingefügtes Bild[Photo H}Eingefügtes Bild[Photo I}Eingefügtes Bild

14) There is a sailboat in the back either moored or docked I cannot tell but it is close to the house if it is moored.15) the shallow back yard consist almost entirely of a swimming pool. I don't remember if I saw that before but the mast of the sailboat is clearly reflected in the pool.16) must be bay because both night and day shots have shown calm water. No ocean waves. No beach in back.17) There are only two small single lights in the background. It is very rare not to have anything visible in background.[Photo J}Eingefügtes Bild

14) There is a sailboat in the back either moored or docked I cannot tell but it is close to the house if it is moored.15) the shallow back yard consist almost entirely of a swimming pool. I don't remember if I saw that before but the mast of the sailboat is clearly reflected in the pool.16) must be bay because both night and day shots have shown calm water. No ocean waves. No beach in back.17) There are only two small single lights in the background. It is very rare not to have anything visible in background.[Photo J}Eingefügtes Bild

Don't know if this will help but I think this is one of the locations airtommy searched for on his last trip to Miami. It was his search and he had all the clues. I remember all the houses in the community were on canals or inlets and it was somewhere north of 79th Street. We didn't find it.

Don't know if this will help but I think this is one of the locations airtommy searched for on his last trip to Miami. It was his search and he had all the clues. I remember all the houses in the community were on canals or inlets and it was somewhere north of 79th Street. We didn't find it.

I remember thinking at one point the water was narrow like a wide canal and not the open bay but as I looked at it this time I did not get that same feeling. From your post it seems that You or Airtommy or both believe it may be on a canal. Is that right?

I remember thinking at one point the water was narrow like a wide canal and not the open bay but as I looked at it this time I did not get that same feeling. From your post it seems that You or Airtommy or both believe it may be on a canal. Is that right?

This was his search and I was basically just the driver. Also this was several years ago. He had spotted an area on google Earth N. of Miami that he thought was promising and wanted to check it out. I found an airtommy post from Dec 07 about Castillo's wife's house which might be interesting: "I thought perhaps they used Castillo's house for this scene, but the house across the way isn't right. I looked around that area, but came upo with nothing.The plain architecture (especially the houses across the street) makes me think of Key Biscayne. However, I scanned that island and found nothing. The roof looks mostly flat, which is unique.I also looked at the Sunset Islands, Venetians, Star, Hibiscus, Palm - nothing."

Thank you. Every little bit helps. I have looked in all those places and more today to no avail. I basically scanned the whole Miami and Miami Beach coast and then canals for locations that had deep enough yards (not Many that don't have much larger houses.) with the house located at the back of the yard and then the few areas that met that criteria I looked at the drive and roof line. Nothing. I shall continue. I covered the whole area except the canals around coconut Grove which I will try now.

My best guess is that the house is somewhere near Castillo's house, eg in the southern Coconut Grove area at a canal. That makes sense from a location logistics perspective of this episode and fit to the vibes of the location. Going by the pictures, I doubt that the house has a big front yard. what seems to be a front yard is most likely a curved access street for the local community traffic like it is the end of a street on an island or at a canal.

My best guess is that the house is somewhere near Castillo's house' date=' eg in the southern Coconut Grove area at a canal. That makes sense from a location logistics perspective of this episode and fit to the vibes of the location. Going by the pictures, I doubt that the house has a big front yard. what seems to be a front yard is most likely a curved access street for the local community traffic like it is the end of a street on an island or at a canal.[/quote']I am not sure I fully understand. Do you feel that the house is at the end of a cul-de-sac or dead end street? The driveway looks like it is at least 70 feet long to me and I am having trouble visualizing how the dead end street would make the front yard smaller. Logistics would have either Castillo's area or Key Biscayne make allot of sense though I think the scene was most likely filmed in the afternoon which reduces the likelyhood of Coconut Grove. How long would you say the driveway is?

I am not sure I fully understand. Do you feel that the house is at the end of a cul-de-sac or dead end street? The driveway looks like it is at least 70 feet long to me and I am having trouble visualizing how the dead end street would make the front yard smaller. Logistics would have either Castillo's area or Key Biscayne make allot of sense though I think the scene was most likely filmed in the afternoon which reduces the likelyhood of Coconut Grove. How long would you say the driveway is?

I feel that the curved driveway is not a private one, but also leading to another house on the right side of May Yings house. Thus, I think it is more an access road that (after the curve) runs parallel to the main road with the yellow middle-line that can be seen behind Castillo when he is approaching the house (the camera is between him and the house). As to the length: I would estimate between 70-100 feet. I thought I found a similar pattern at Prado Bvd south of Sunrise Ave, but no luck there.

I see what you are saying. It is possible but my hunch is still a private drive with perhaps an elongated u shaped drive or just a parking space off to the right. I am not so sure the roof line will be the same because it is very possible that the ends of the top roof were placed on as ornaments just for the show. Another thing that troubles me is the lack of lights seen in the background. There is almost always lights in the bg even if they are far away across the bay. Possily looking out toward ocean or wooded area.

My best guess is that the house is somewhere near Castillo's house' date=' eg in the southern Coconut Grove area at a canal. That makes sense from a location logistics perspective of this episode and fit to the vibes of the location. Going by the pictures, I doubt that the house has a big front yard. what seems to be a front yard is most likely a curved access street for the local community traffic like it is the end of a street on an island or at a canal.[/quote']Good points there from Tom:D

Yes, Most of the houses out there are 1990's or newer having torn down the older, smaller homes. The few that still exist make me think that Key Biscayne is a likely propect. S. Mashta Dr looks out at the open bay which would explain not seeing any lights in the background. I am still looking actively in other areas but this is one of my top picks.

Yes' date=' Most of the houses out there are 1990's or newer having torn down the older, smaller homes. The few that still exist make me think that Key Biscayne is a likely propect. S. Mashta Dr looks out at the open bay which would explain not seeing any lights in the background. I am still looking actively in other areas but this is one of my top picks.[/color']

Sounds good :D