Episode #58 "Cuba Libre"

Ferrariman

Enjoyed this one although the story seems disjointed at times. This episode is the first time we hear the Crockett’s theme version which was released as a single in the US and Europe. First episode directed by Virgil W.Vogel and good use of locations on Arthur Lamb Rd which featured heavily in this fall 1986 episode.

9/10

Edited by Matt5
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Matt5 said:

This episode is the first time we hear the Crockett’s theme version which was released as a single in the US and Europe.

Wasn’t that “Stone’s War”?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Crockettt said:

Yes for the first time the official single version was used in "Stone's War". :D

But, in @Matt5’s defense, it was greatly magnified in Cuba Libre

57 minutes ago, RedDragon86 said:

Does the Crockett version in "Calderone's Return: Part 1 – The Hit List" not count?

It was quite different than the “released” version we’re talking about. 

• Thanks 1

I wouldn't consider this episode one of my favorites, but what saves it for me is the character of Victor Vasquez: the guy is serious and straightforward, so I like that his intentions were easy for me to understand and feel for. He was someone caught in the middle of something he thought he was done with, and I enjoyed how he reacted to everything. The story itself? Well, I think it's okay: I think it moves, but I agree with other posters who say it feels like it's rushed (maybe it moves too fast then:-). I think it's an episode that could've used a little tightening, because it had a possibility to be superb, but it still gets the job done for me.

• Like 2

• 4 months later...

I realize this may not be considered a memorable or famous episode by some...but, I love this one!! :D

If we really want to be honest, there were a lot more aspects that made MV “work”, so-to-speak, than the strength of plot lines. ;) The colors, lighting, fashion, cars, music, and action scenes were very important facets of the show...and this episode had awesome examples of all those! :clap: I LOVE the pink mansion and colors/lighting used at the beginning :glossy:...and Bob Seeger's Miami was a superb song that fit perfectly! :radio: The 007-style action and gun-play was pretty awesome too... outstanding scenes!! :thumbsup: 

I also love the humor with Switek...and the scene with him and Crockett about the whole Robert/Roberta thing catches my attention every time. In today’s society this part of the episode would never be allowed, because of all those who love to be “offended” :p...but, when I was little my parents told me that a couple years after they got married, around 1972 or 73, they were home visiting my grandma (dad's mom). They were watching TV and this supposed documentary came on about a guy who had decided to have a sex change operation...and couldn't figure out why his family was so upset. He used to be Robert, but was now Roberta after the..."operation". You have to understand that at that time that kind of thing was very taboo and was just not heard of. So, the idea of this guy doing a documentary about it was absurd...but even hilarious, and they at first thought it was a joke. My mom said she laughed so hard she almost threw up. So, it just seems humorous to me that they used that old story for the episode.

I also like the undercover roles...Crockett and Tubbs really delve into in this deep, and captivating! Both were thinking on their feet but also one step ahead of the bad guys, and it shows! :thumbsup: Love how Switek "bags" the dirty cop/agent at the end...his line was hilarious! "Switie" had a superb way of being goofy...but yet serious. :) I also love Jan Hammer's Crockett's Theme continually being played throughout...that tune absolutely captivates me every time I hear it!! :radio: 

The action at the end was awesome too, and I love the political but deadly-seriousness of the plot line itself...however, I feel that Gina and Trudy were not in this one enough. But, the other aspects that I mentioned, in my opinion, make up for that. Overall I really love watching this one every time, and is a Season 3 favorite... I originally gave it an 8, but if I could change it I’d bump it up to a 9! :dance2: 

01158009-9997-41DB-A266-9D07E316FA16.png

Edited by ViceFanMan
  • Like 3

• 2 months later...

This is a good potboiler episode with a subject matter, the plight of Cuba, still relevant considering the big protests in Cuba this year.  Ismael "East" Carlo is very good as the most interesting character in this story, the conflicted Victor Vasquez.  It's funny seeing Joe Urla (as Zamora) here; I know him best from a stint on Seinfeld as Elaine's waspish co-worker at J. Peterman's. Paramilitary training camps in forest setting is a cliche, so the scenes in this episode of all of that can get tedious.  The Kane Gang's "Gun Law" is a cool track - a bigger hit in the UK than in the US, so it's great that Vice got hold of it.  Bob Seger's breezy "Miami" works well in the opening scene, with a similar ironic use as the Randy Newman Miami song.  

Edited by Jack Gretsky
  • Like 3

This episode is also noted as the first time a Glock was used in a TV series or in movies. I remember seeing Sonny get one off a bad guy and thinking I'd like to look at one. Today Glock owns the LE Market and even our military has ordered 15 Million Dollars of various models and parts. Something tells me the Sig 320s' aren't working out as well for some units.

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

This one is the definition of a filler. 

Or and how many times are we going to see a government agent who is not what he seems sitting in Castillo's office :sleep: 

It was done brilliantly in "No Exit" just leave it there. 

4/10.

Edited by RedDragon86
  • Like 1

• 1 year later...

I love this episode. Love most of the conversations, the intro where Bob Seger's Miami just establishes the Miami Vibe.  Ending is not so well directed and shot IMO but apart from that I think this is a solid episode. 10/7 for me.

Whats really Memorable:

- Crockett theme appears

- Bob Seger Miami song in the beginning

- other Jan Hammer unreleased pieces like in this attached video really setting the tone for me

- well written conversations

Edited by Kalci
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Kalci said:

I love this episode. Love most of the conversations, the intro where Bob Seger's Miami just establishes the Miami Vibe.  Ending is not so well directed and shot IMO but apart from that I think this is a solid episode. 10/7 for me.

Whats really Memorable:

- Crockett theme appears

- Bob Seger Miami song in the beginning

- other Jan Hammer unreleased pieces like in this attached video really setting the tone for me

- well written conversations

Good points - I also like this episode. The scene im particular with Castillo and C & T with the corrupt agent was partícularly well done with Castillo’s theme kicking in. 

• Like 2

On 6/25/2021 at 5:38 PM, ViceFanMan said:

I realize this may not be considered a memorable or famous episode by some...but, I love this one!! :D

If we really want to be honest, there were a lot more aspects that made MV “work”, so-to-speak, than the strength of plot lines. ;) The colors, lighting, fashion, cars, music, and action scenes were very important facets of the show...and this episode had awesome examples of all those! :clap: I LOVE the pink mansion and colors/lighting used at the beginning :glossy:...and Bob Seeger's Miami was a superb song that fit perfectly! :radio: The 007-style action and gun-play was pretty awesome too... outstanding scenes!! :thumbsup: 

I also love the humor with Switek...and the scene with him and Crockett about the whole Robert/Roberta thing catches my attention every time. In today’s society this part of the episode would never be allowed, because of all those who love to be “offended” :p...but, when I was little my parents told me that a couple years after they got married, around 1972 or 73, they were home visiting my grandma (dad's mom). They were watching TV and this supposed documentary came on about a guy who had decided to have a sex change operation...and couldn't figure out why his family was so upset. He used to be Robert, but was now Roberta after the..."operation". You have to understand that at that time that kind of thing was very taboo and was just not heard of. So, the idea of this guy doing a documentary about it was absurd...but even hilarious, and they at first thought it was a joke. My mom said she laughed so hard she almost threw up. So, it just seems humorous to me that they used that old story for the episode.

I also like the undercover roles...Crockett and Tubbs really delve into in this deep, and captivating! Both were thinking on their feet but also one step ahead of the bad guys, and it shows! :thumbsup: Love how Switek "bags" the dirty cop/agent at the end...his line was hilarious! "Switie" had a superb way of being goofy...but yet serious. :) I also love Jan Hammer's Crockett's Theme continually being played throughout...that tune absolutely captivates me every time I hear it!! :radio: 

The action at the end was awesome too, and I love the political but deadly-seriousness of the plot line itself...however, I feel that Gina and Trudy were not in this one enough. But, the other aspects that I mentioned, in my opinion, make up for that. Overall I really love watching this one every time, and is a Season 3 favorite... I originally gave it an 8, but if I could change it I’d bump it up to a 9! :dance2: 

01158009-9997-41DB-A266-9D07E316FA16.png

This was my latest review a while back...still love this episode! I watched it again earlier tonight, and the beginning with Bob Seeger's Miami :radio:, showcasing the pink-lit mansion :glossy:, plus the wild 007 style action, just immediately set this one off for me! :dance2: It's always a Season 3 favorite of mine. :thumbsup:

• Like 2

Yeah, I had issues with the end shootout. They probably should have shown the anti Castro Cubans as less committed early on. I mean they gave up incredibly quickly even though they were armed to the teeth. It felt odd.

Other than that, I liked this episode. Castillo's standing up and risking his career for Crockett and Tubbs is a highlight. It shows his loyalty and selflessness. 

I think Crockett's theme was big in Europe at this time in the show's life, which probably gave the cue more prominence in this episode. Not that I'm complaining. Lots of great Jan cues in this one.

As far as Sonny and Rico, I agree they both were thinking fast on their feet in many moments where things could have gone horribly wrong.

• Like 2

I think it's alright, watchable but it feels like it going over old ground, like the guy sitting in Marty's office is really shady with left wing politics thrown in at the same time.

I don't particularly like the atmosphere of it or the locations, the vibe seems a bit stale.

Would still recommend it and give it 6.5/10.

Edited by RedDragon86
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, fakespyder said:

Yeah, I had issues with the end shootout. They probably should have shown the anti Castro Cubans as less committed early on. I mean they gave up incredibly quickly even though they were armed to the teeth. It felt odd.

Other than that, I liked this episode. Castillo's standing up and risking his career for Crockett and Tubbs is a highlight. It shows his loyalty and selflessness. 

I think Crockett's theme was big in Europe at this time in the show's life, which probably gave the cue more prominence in this episode. Not that I'm complaining. Lots of great Jan cues in this one.

As far as Sonny and Rico, I agree they both were thinking fast on their feet in many moments where things could have gone horribly wrong.

Yeah, the anti Castro Cubans at the end did seem to surrender somewhat quickly, but I think they were pretty "green" if you know what I mean. They weren't experienced fighters or rebels, and once they didn't have a psycho leader leading them along, they became like lost sheep...they didn't know what to do.

Castillo standing up for & supporting his OCB team was always awesome! :dance: He was usually a by-the-book, black & white type cop...but, once in a while even he knew that extreme circumstances required extreme measures. Despite his toughness, he loved & cared about his people...and this part of the episode definitely showed his loyalty to them!

I always love Crockett's Theme...superb piece of instrumental music & a masterpiece by Jan Hammer! :radio: I have it downloaded to my phone & it's usually one song I run to each time. So, anytime it was used in an episode, it's awesome to me...and when it was used several times, then it helps "make" that episode, in my opinion. :funky:

Yeah, I love how both Crockett and Tubbs had to suddenly change their proverbial game-plans in a matter of seconds...and definitely had to think fast on how to deal with surviving & helping save the other. This was not your typical drug dealer episode...lots of plot twists and other motives that suddenly pop up. 

I love the more "professional" 007 style action at the beginning, the locations and lighting with the pink-lit mansion, the music with Seeger's Miami & of course Crockett's Theme mentioned above, and the whole thing is just wild, fun, and entertaining...visually, auditorily, plot wise, and the acting/performances! Back when you could actually rate the episodes, I originally gave this one an 8...but if I could I'd bump it up to at least an 8.5 or 9! :thumbsup:

• Like 2