RAMBO FIRST BLOOD KNIFE

COOPER&BURNETT

Ever since 1982 when the movie FIRST BLOOD came out (the first of the Rambo movies), I've wanted the knife that was used in the film.When I finally decided to buy it, I was, and am still enamoured with it.The knives that were made by the original maker, the late Jimmy Lile now commands thousands of dollars. Mine is the licenced replica.When I show it to someone, the usual response is, "That's a bad ass knife!" It really is a great looking knife!Eingefügtes Bild(photo courtesy of whomever I copied it off the internet from)However, I always seem to find people on websites and internet chats that seem to downplay the knife as nothing more than a hollywood prop, and not really what a survival knife should be.I've taken that into account, and still think that it's a pretty fine knife. Do I think it's the best knife on the planet? No.Would I want this to be the only knife I could own, if I could only have one knife forever? No.Do I think it can do everything it was shown doing in the movie FIRST BLOOD. Yes.1. Let's see, he uses it to cut through canvas to make a makeshift jacket. It can absolutely do that.2. He used it to whitle wooden spears to empale (michael talbott aka Switek!) It could do that with ease.3. It was used to stab a guy in the back of the leg. No question it can do that.4. He used the compass hidden in the butt cap to find his way. Mine works just fine.5. He used the items in the hollow handle to sew up a wound on his arm. The items in the handle could certainly do that if need be.6. He wrapped canvas around the handle for a short while, and used the matches in the hollow handle to light the canvas and make a short term torch. It could do that easily.7. The knife was shown cutting through a piece of paper to show how sharp it is. I've done that with mine many times when I show it off. It's really sharp!8. He killed the dogs that were sent to bite, and attack him. Sick, but I'm sure it could do that if you were being attacked by a dog.9. He tied it to a long wooden branch with the lashing holes in the knife guard to make a spear which he jumped straight down out of a tree to kill a boar / wild pig for food. Without question this could be done. So, as depicted in the movie, It could do everything it was shown to do. However, there are still people who say this type of knife is not a perfect survival knife, mainly for one reason. It's not full tang. In other words, it's got a hollow handle, and not made of a solid piece of metal from the blade all the way through the handle, thus giving it a weak spot where the handle and the blade connect. This may be true, but what kind of abuse does one intend on forcing this knife into? For my needs, hiking in the woods, it fits the bill quite nicely.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• COOPER&BURNETT

• timm525

• gypsy

• sharpedged

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Eingefügtes Bild(another photo courtesy of someone else....)The above is a picture of the First Blood knife, and the RAMBO II knife.Here are some specifications on this knife.The blade is 9" long, the overall length of the knife is 14" long.The blade is made from 420 J2 stainless steel blade, on the top of the blade is center slotted saw teeth. (all very sharp!)The blade thickness is 1/4"The knife is well balenced.The the stainless knife guard has lashing holes, and a phillips screwdriver on one end, and a standard screwdriver on the other.The non magnetic aluminum butt cap is threaded, and has a precision compass in it.The handle is hollow, and wrapped in heavy olive drab green nylon cord, with a waterproof o-ring, and a survival kit in a waterproof plastic tube in the handle. The survival kit consists of matches, fishing hooks, fishing line and sinkers, sealed sterillized stainless surgical blade, and sewing needles. (I decided to replace the matches with matches from REI that are waterproof & windproof) The arguments of serious knife enthusiasts are that the blade may break from the hollow metal handle under heavy useage, like prying something. Also, that the stainless steel blade doesn't hold an edge for long periods of time.I've not read anywhere where one of these knives have actually broken. In theory, it's not going to be as solid a a knife that is one piece of metal, but really, what do you plan to do with this knife?For me, and my purposes, it fits the bill very nicely.1. It's not my only knife. When in the mountains, I have a back up knife.2. I keep a separate, and main survival kit separate from the knife so if the knife was lost, I'd have the main kit with me.3. I'm not going into combat with it, and won't pry anything with it, or throw it at a tree or anything like that that could damage any knife. It is carried and used like.....a knife. A very sharp one at that.4. I purchased a screen accurate, hand made, top grain leather belt sheath with a leg tie, and just like in the film, my custom made sheath has a stone pouch with snap, and I purchased a top quality sharpening stone to go in it. Looks just like the one in the film. Eingefügtes BildIf used as a knife, as intended, I think this is great knife. But I acknowledge it has it's limits, but also wouldn't hesitate to take it to the mountains with me. I'd like to hear your comments, questions, and opinions on this knife.

Very neat C&B I would like to own one. Certainly it's too valuable to use in the woods. For that purpose a knife with a full tang would be better for tasks like cutting camo, firewood, and building a shelter.

Very neat C&B I would like to own one. Certainly it's too valuable to use in the woods. For that purpose a knife with a full tang would be better for tasks like cutting camo' date=' firewood, and building a shelter.[/quote']If I owned an original Jimmy Lile hand made first blood knife, it would be too valuable to use as they are now worth a few thousand dollars, however, there were plenty of these licenced replicas made. Go ahead and use it.Not sure what I'd cut with it, but the top saw is bloody sharp, and could do the trick, (I'm guessing the saw could cut stuff like reeds or roots) but I'd just use the wire saw that has rings to hold onto which I take with me in my pack into the woods. No need to abuse the knife by cutting firewood with it. I don't really think that's what it's designed to do.If you get one, you'll love it! It's not just a pretty hollywood prop. It's really impressive. :thumbsup:

Here's what the sheath that comes with the replica knife looks like.Eingefügtes BildHere is what the sheath in the movie looked like, and one I purchased from a custom sheath maker.Eingefügtes Bild

This is what the slotted saw on the top of the blade looks like.Eingefügtes BildHere's what the butt - cap compass and survival gear inside the handle look like.Eingefügtes Bild* none of the photos I've posted so far are mine, and were found on the internet (too lazy to take photos of mine, and everything around me looks more like MIAMI VICE than from a Rambo movie. :))

Now that`s a serious knife...I always wanted one.But being from the city there isn`t much use for it besides cutting up a chicken for dinner.I could never do that to such a knife...(That`s what my Paula Dean collection is for:):):):):))

Now that`s a serious knife...I always wanted one.But being from the city there isn`t much use for it besides cutting up a chicken for dinner.I could never do that to such a knife...(That`s what my Paula Dean collection is for:):):):):))

:D:DWell, I can actually use it. In California, there are lots of mountains in the sierra. Thank Goodness we no longer have Grizzly Bears in California like there used to! We do have black and brown bears which are still huge!! The knife would be useless against such a beast, but we have cougars (not just hot, horny, older ladies who like to date younger men). Deaths by Cougars are very rare, and usually happen with those that jog, or ride bikes. Cougars can be vicious, but I'm certain that the knife could do some serious damage to the cougar if attacked. You might even live after the attack depending on the circumstances, and what vital areas you could hit on the animal. Obviously, a gun would be better if attacked, like a bren ten.My father's best friend and his adult daughter were walking in the foothills near a very populated area near a lake, when on the trail, they encountered a Cougar. It kind of hunched down like it might start a full sprint at them. They froze, and knew to NEVER run, as it's natural instincts would see them as game, and chase, and attack them. They took a step back....and the cougar took a step forward. They took two steps back, .....and it took two steps closer. This kept up for what felt like forever. Eventually, they may have yelled at it or something, can't recall, but it must have lost interest or something, and left into the bushes. :eek: That would have scared the crap out of me.I don't carry a gun in the mountains, but I do carry a large air horn (like those in sporting events) in cougar country. The rangers say that most certainly would scare the animal if you blasted one of those things if you encountered one on the trail. They are frightened by sudden loud sounds. They also suggest throwing rocks, yelling and opening your jacket to make yourself appear bigger, but NEVER run.

• Administrators

:D:D...The knife would be useless against such a beast...

No, the knife is for you to use on yourself instead of getting eaten alive. :)

That´s a cool knife coop. I have a cheapknock off which I use for fishing. It´s sharp, that´s the one good thing about it. I lost the compass, the matches and everything else. But still have the knife. I´ll post pics soonish

That´s a cool knife coop. I have a cheapknock off which I use for fishing. It´s sharp' date=' that´s the one good thing about it. I lost the compass, the matches and everything else. But still have the knife. I´ll post pics soonish[/quote']Yeah, I want to see your knife. Sorry you lost the compass, and survival kit. :cry:Post the pictures! :thumbsup:

No' date=' the knife is for you to use on yourself instead of getting eaten alive. :)[/quote']:D:DYeah, it would just be quicker to off myself. :)

• Administrators

I've done a fair amount of research on "survival knives" and I have a few comments on the subject. This is NOT a put down of your knife but just some general comments on knives and hallow handle knives in general.One thing I noticed is it looks like (in the pics) the handle is wrapped in cord, if it is, then that is most likely supposed to be "parachute" cord which is a great survival aide in it's self. Parachute cord is tested (breaking strength) at 550 lbs. If you cut the outside sheath off you will find 7 separate cords. Each one can be used separately for fishing, sewing, or anything else you need small cordage for.Secondly, although the "hallow handle knife" provides a nice hiding place for the survival items they often sacrifice strength because they do not have a full tang that goes all the way to the butt of the knife. The tang stops at the handle and is usually welded and or "pinned" and welded at that spot. If you've ever taken a hallow handle knife out in the wilderness and started doing some chopping with it (which is one of the main functions of having a large chopper like that) you will find that the knife may loosen up or even fall apart because of the lack of the full tang. Although not meant to be an ax, large knives are meant to chop with.In addition, a lot of the "survival items" that go in the handle are not very functional. I've had many of these type of knives and the cable saws are almost laughable. Most have two key rings that act as handles for the saw cable. Go ahead and try sawing with those on your fingers and let me know how far you get. Also they are supposed to double as a snare. That's a mighty small snare and I'd hate to try and set up one in the hopes I can catch something. Even when set correctly, snares are not very effective and you need to set a dozen or more in the hopes to catch something.The "saw" blade on many of these type of knives look great until you try sawing with them. A lot seem sharp and you would think they could cut a house down but when you get them out in the wilderness and start trying to cut a small tree or branch you find that they make a nasty gash but then they don't seem to cut anymore. The better made ones will have a cross cut pattern on them much like a carpenter's hand saw and those will do a good job cutting.In my opinion, if you are really looking for a wilderness survival knife that is fully functional, then I would look into a fairly large size chopper 10"-12" that has a full tang. It should be made of a high quality steel (not stainless!) such as A2 or a high carbon steel.Oh and just one more thing...(Columbo). I get a kick out of the all the movies that the hero takes his knife and a stone he finds and whacks them together to get his fire started! Yeah right! That knife is the wrong type of steel for that not to mention you would never treat a quality knife like that. If you want to try and start a fire by friction with a steel and a stone then get yourself a 50 cent old file and a free stone. The file is the "correct" type of steel and it is cheap!Anyhow I'll stop now but just wanted to mention a few points of information that some may have not known about survival knives in general.Very nice knife Coop. I would love to add one to my collection.This is my personal favorite for large survival knife. It is not cheap but like any quality tool, you buy a good one and take care of it for life. Click ---> here

here

Everything you wrote is correct. The wire saw I have is a British SAS Military saw that is standard NATO equipment, and is much better than the cheapo one's I've run across. It has plastic coated end loops, and attached wrist loops also. It works just fine (unlike the cheap ones that do nothing.)As I also mentioned, I would not use this knife for prying, or chopping anything. It's a KNIFE not an axe. This is not a full tang knife, and that kind of activity could possibly break it. I'd use it as intended.The waterproof and windproof matches that I replaced it with are fully funtional.I also carry a magniesium bar with striker to start fires.Also, as I mentioned, the saw blade on the top of the knife is better suited for cutting reeds or roots, not for cutting trees. :)The knife you showed has high carbon alloy. THAT is a great blade material! http://www.topsknives.com/product_info.php?products_id=9&osCsid=sicc85qq4jlmbgi2klbmekhj14Thanks for commenting on the knife pal, I welcome all comments! :thumbsup:

• Administrators

I've had some of those cheapo's fall apart in my hand! :)I agree on the magnesium bar. Those things are awesome in starting fires. :thumbsup:

I've had some of those cheapo's fall apart in my hand! :)I agree on the magnesium bar. Those things are awesome in starting fires. :thumbsup:
I too have had the cheapos fall apart' date=' and they can't cut anything worth a crap. The SAS / NATO versions are the real deal. :thumbsup:I've practiced with the magnesium bar, and it does just as advertised. They are great tools for starting fires. Don't leave home without it. :thumbsup: LOL![img']http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w17/steven-spielberg/newest%20photos/rambo9.jpg(if it's good enough for the British SAS, it's good enough for me!)

• Administrators

... The SAS / NATO versions are the real deal. :thumbsup:Eingefügtes Bild

Now that is a real saw. The wrist straps would give you great leverage to cut with. I had a cheapo one pull off the ring on the very first pull. And that was just with the little key ring thingy that your supposed to put your finger through. :) Yeah right. That POS wouldn't have cut warm chocolate!Oh and just an FYI. I just realized I missed your second post on the thread. Now I feel like an idiot. :o

That POS wouldn't have cut warm chocolate!

:D:D:clap:This one works real well. Funny how we both tried cheap crap that broke. :)

Oh and just an FYI. I just realized I missed your second post on the thread. Now I feel like an idiot. :o

:) Don't worry about it pal. After all' date=' everything you wrote was [u']absolutely correct. You know your stuff, that's for sure.Did you see the photo of the three knives together? The last one is a full tang, and is MASSIVE!! :eek:

Ooooh yeah!....I used to own one of those!! Millions of them were made and sold. I remember the ball compass in the top that could be removed, and the saw rings for the saw that were on the handle.Ahhh... the good ol days!

You´re spot on. Like I said it is no where near as cool as the First Blood version. But it can gut a fish, and that´s what it´s used for these days.