RAMBO FIRST BLOOD KNIFE

COOPER&BURNETT

You´re spot on. Like I said it is no where near as cool as the First Blood version. But it can gut a fish' date=' and that´s what it´s used for these days.[/quote']Hey! Gypsy, let's go fishing together pal! :thumbsup:

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• COOPER&BURNETT

• timm525

• gypsy

• sharpedged

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Ooooh yeah!....I used to own one of those!! Millions of them were made and sold. I remember the ball compass in the top that could be removed' date=' and the saw rings for the saw that were on the handle.Ahhh... the good ol days![/quote'] I had one of those as well.

I had one of those as well.

Cool! Join the club! I bought mine in 1983 at a gun and knife show when Rambo and his knife were all the rage. I remember taking the ball compass off, and thinking it looked cooler without it.

It´ll be my pleasure when I´m in your neck of the woods

My friend, the pleasure would be all mine to have your company. (I'd be dressed like Crockett in "GLADES". ;):)

Then I´ll be Tubbs. Need to stay in the sun for awhile then;)

Amazing how we went from RAMBO to MIAMI VICE so effortlessly. :D

• 1 month later...

here

No bad, but couple of problems here.Most of the reviews on hollow handle survival knives on the net is bad, real bad, and even experienced knife guys don't do good or fair reviews of them. The reason, people in the knife world tend to dislike them........ .a lot. Considered movie knives and nothing more. However the truth is a completely different story.The above quote as posted earlier in this thread is pretty accurate of the cheap copies and knock off's, but not of the proper and true, well made hollow handles made by knife smiths and not R2-D2 in China.The well made hollow handle knives DO NOT get loose with continued chopping and never fail. You will never see a hollow handle break at the guard or even weaken over time. Only the cheap ones do this due to bad blade attachement. When they have been made correctly like the ones you posted pictures of in the first page, they will never fail or loosen. They are not welded and don't need to be. The amount of tang inside the handle has no bearing of its strength believe it or not. As long as the tang passes through the guard and has enough length to be screwed and pinned, any extra length has no bearing of the knifes strength after this.Hollow handle knives made by most reputable knife smiths don't come with survival gimmick............i mean gear. That is always a tell tale sign of a cheap piece of cr@p and should be avoided. There are one or two makers who include a survival pouch with the odd item, but nothing like the stuff you see in the cheapo knives.You will never see a good hollow handle knife review on the net as the knives cost too much, and this is one of the arguments knife guys tend to have, and you can see their point. Why spend around $700 on a hollow handle when you can get as good if not better for a few hundred.More work involved in making the knife. A lot more, and this means $$$.Personally i love them, and collect them, and also use the odd one. In the real world anyone who uses proper hollow handle knives will tell you, there every bit as good as anything else you might use.

• Administrators

Welcome to the board. :thumbsup:Interesting point of view and I do agree that I too have never really read a great review on a hallow handle knife on the net.Just out of curiosity what reputable knife smiths are you referring to that make the high quality knives you speak of? Can you post a few links to them for us?Thanks again and welcome to the greatest Miami Vice site on the planet.

Thanks for the welcome, nice forum.Sure. There are some good makers around, and the hollow handle seems to be having a revival. Mainly due to the fact i think most people are finding out they don't actually have the breaking strain of a pencil.Britt would be a really good first place to visit.http://myramboknives.blogspot.com/He makes top quality and the prices are very competative. There are people who have tested his knives in the real world and cound'nt break them.

• 4 months later...

I recently purchased the same knife from Ebay having 25th Anneversary logi. The knife looks good indeed. But its not sharp from side. It is sharp from the point therefore good for piercing but for cutting the blade is dull from the side

I recently purchased the same knife from Ebay having 25th Anneversary logi. The knife looks good indeed. But its not sharp from side. It is sharp from the point therefore good for piercing but for cutting the blade is dull from the side

Sharpen your knife. I did. I have a knife sharpener at home, and a sharpening stone.

With respect you did not purchase the same knife. The one on the first page is an original Jimmy Lile and would cost you $25,000 and upward.You have the copy. None of the originals had signatures on them.Those would be made form 420J and not the best steel for a knife.What you do have though is a perfectly good movie prop for display, and thats what those knives were intended for, which is why the edge is not too brilliant.

With respect you did not purchase the same knife. The one on the first page is an original Jimmy Lile and would cost you $25' date='000 and upward.You have the copy. None of the originals had signatures on them.Those would be made form 420J and not the best steel for a knife.What you do have though is a perfectly good movie prop for display, and thats what those knives were intended for, which is why the edge is not too brilliant.[/quote']This is correct.Also, maverick786us, you have a copy of a copy of an original. By that I mean the company that made your knife is the second replica made. The first replica of the original Jimmy Lile knife (the three that I have) are made a bit better in qualilty according to knife fans on websites around the globe. They are the first replicas that hit the market in the 80's. Better build quality, the compass is better quality in the 80's version too. Actual Jimmy Lile knives are of the utmost quality, and will hold it's edge, unlike the replicas. You can sharpen your knife to make it sharper, but actual continued use of it will dull it fairly quickly. It's a different quality of steel as the type Jimmy Lile would have used.

• 1 year later...
Here is what the sheath in the movie looked like" data-date=" and one I purchased from a custom sheath maker.[IMG">

http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w17/steven-spielberg/newest%20photos/rambo7.jpg

Hey, very nice knife! After 30 plus years of wanting and desiring, I Finally got my handmade First Blood knife, which has been my dream knife for years. I already had a handmade Savage sheath which was made for me for my much cheaper UC First Blood knife. But still, I am in the process of getting another sheath made for it, which will be brand new like my knife. For some reason, I just don't care for the idea of having a brand new handmade First Blood knife and using an older sheath, even if it Is less than a year old! Anyway, going to try and post some pics here of my lifelong dream knife! If this works, here are the pics!

post-11464-13892965194253_thumb.jpg

post-11464-13892965194814_thumb.jpg

post-11464-13892965195366_thumb.jpg

post-11464-13892965195869_thumb.jpg

Hmm did he really have a green cord handle on his knife in the first film? it's been awhile since I've seen it so I dont remember the knife too well. but ironically I did watch amen send money which had the sheriff in it from first blood last night, who supposedly is a friend of Talbot probably because they met and became friends while working on first blood together.

Hmm did he really have a green cord handle on his knife in the first film? it's been awhile since I've seen it so I dont remember the knife too well. but ironically I did watch amen send money which had the sheriff in it from first blood last night' date=' who supposedly is a friend of Talbot probably because they met and became friends while working on first blood together.[/quote']The handle was a green cord as seen in the pictures.Actually, they met before First Blood.

Hey' date=' very nice knife! After 30 plus years of wanting and desiring, I Finally got my handmade First Blood knife, which has been my dream knife for years. I already had a handmade Savage sheath which was made for me for my much cheaper UC First Blood knife. But still, I am in the process of getting another sheath made for it, which will be brand new like my knife. For some reason, I just don't care for the idea of having a brand new handmade First Blood knife and using an older sheath, even if it Is less than a year old! Anyway, going to try and post some pics here of my lifelong dream knife! If this works, here are the pics![/quote']Your knife is Awesome! You said it's hand made?? Fantastic! Who made it??

hmmm maybe I'm getting it mixed up with the one used in the latter films, I remember it was more bowie shaped with a black handle and was fully polished stainless in maybe 2 or 3.

Your knife is Awesome! You said it's hand made?? Fantastic! Who made it??

Hello, Thanks, good buddy! I tell you it sure has been a long time coming. To answer your question, my FB knife was made by a Canadian knife maker named Mr. Bill Schiller. I actually bought mine off of another First Blood knife maker. But here's the unique part. I have searched and searched and searched, and I found some basic info on Bill Schiller. He has been making knives for years and has even taught or maybe still does teach it. I'm not sure. Anyway, as I have looked and looked on the internet, I just simply cannot find another First Blood movie knife that was made by this guy. So it's quite possibly that the one I have been blessed with, is the only one that was ever made by him. Iffen it is, then to me, that makes my knife unique and a very rare one. And what I really like about my FB knife is that Schiller makes his maker mark and last name on hia knives, especially the one I have, really small and the maker mark (not the Schiller name) is almost unnoticeable. At first I thought it was just a wierd-shaped "X". But someone told me that his maker mark is a snake with a knife or sword through it. As I then looked really close, I managed to see that it is indeed the pic of a rattlesnake with a long knife or sword through it! But irregardless of its rarity or non-rare aspect, it is still one beautiful knife, and very high quality one at that. And I am both privileged and honored to Finally be the owner of such a handmade historical knife. I just wish I'd of known about Jimmy Lile and that he actually made the FB knife and was making them for people, before he died and before the price for them skyrocketed! LOL But the one that I have is beautiful, precious to me, and now that I have it, it will Never leave my possession! One last thing; I've never really been a fan of the Rambo 3 knife. I always loved the Rambo 1 and 2 knives for their raw look and the serrations. I mean, they just really look almost like the kind of knife my own Dad (died jan 1, 2010) carried in Vietnam. So that's why I like them. But just yesterday, I learned of a high quality local knife maker through one of my good friends. This knife maker mainly uses D2, 440C steel and Damascus steel for minimum rust issues. Anyway, it worked out that the guy is just finishing up an all-Damascus steel Rambo 3 knife. The handle is a very hard wood and the pommel, hand guard, and blade are all Damascus steel and hardened at 59 Hrc. I think Damascus steel is the only steel that can be hardened up to 63 or 64 and still be superb. I heard that between 58 and 60 HRC for it is the best. Well, anyway, I decided to go ahead and pay for it before he even finishes it, LOL! Will be finished in about 2 more weeks. And that is going to be great. The last handmade Rambo knife I plan to buy between now and next year this time, is the Rambo Missions handmade knife. I am not at all interested in the Rambo 4 knife but if I find one that is handmade at a decent price, I will get it. But I will have the FB one, the Rambo 3 one, and then by next year, will have the Missions Rambo knives. After these knives, I will be working on getting me some good Martin knives made. I am looking at the Martin Apparo handmade knife and might even get that one before the Rambo Missions knife! Either way, I have a very nice collection of high end high quality survival knives going! Sorry this is so long but my passion is knives and I could discuss them for hours.

Hello' date=' Thanks, good buddy! I tell you it sure has been a long time coming. To answer your question, my FB knife was made by a Canadian knife maker named Mr. Bill Schiller. I actually bought mine off of another First Blood knife maker. But here's the unique part. I have searched and searched and searched, and I found some basic info on Bill Schiller. He has been making knives for years and has even taught or maybe still does teach it. I'm not sure. Anyway, as I have looked and looked on the internet, I just simply cannot find another First Blood movie knife that was made by this guy. So it's quite possibly that the one I have been blessed with, is the only one that was ever made by him. Iffen it is, then to me, that makes my knife unique and a very rare one. And what I really like about my FB knife is that Schiller makes his maker mark and last name on hia knives, especially the one I have, really small and the maker mark (not the Schiller name) is almost unnoticeable. At first I thought it was just a wierd-shaped "X". But someone told me that his maker mark is a snake with a knife or sword through it. As I then looked really close, I managed to see that it is indeed the pic of a rattlesnake with a long knife or sword through it! But irregardless of its rarity or non-rare aspect, it is still one beautiful knife, and very high quality one at that. And I am both privileged and honored to Finally be the owner of such a handmade historical knife. I just wish I'd of known about Jimmy Lile and that he actually made the FB knife and was making them for people, before he died and before the price for them skyrocketed! LOL But the one that I have is beautiful, precious to me, and now that I have it, it will Never leave my possession! One last thing; I've never really been a fan of the Rambo 3 knife. I always loved the Rambo 1 and 2 knives for their raw look and the serrations. I mean, they just really look almost like the kind of knife my own Dad (died jan 1, 2010) carried in Vietnam. So that's why I like them. But just yesterday, I learned of a high quality local knife maker through one of my good friends. This knife maker mainly uses D2, 440C steel and Damascus steel for minimum rust issues. Anyway, it worked out that the guy is just finishing up an all-Damascus steel Rambo 3 knife. The handle is a very hard wood and the pommel, hand guard, and blade are all Damascus steel and hardened at 59 Hrc. I think Damascus steel is the only steel that can be hardened up to 63 or 64 and still be superb. I heard that between 58 and 60 HRC for it is the best. Well, anyway, I decided to go ahead and pay for it before he even finishes it, LOL! Will be finished in about 2 more weeks. And that is going to be great. The last handmade Rambo knife I plan to buy between now and next year this time, is the Rambo Missions handmade knife. I am not at all interested in the Rambo 4 knife but if I find one that is handmade at a decent price, I will get it. But I will have the FB one, the Rambo 3 one, and then by next year, will have the Missions Rambo knives. After these knives, I will be working on getting me some good Martin knives made. I am looking at the Martin Apparo handmade knife and might even get that one before the Rambo Missions knife! Either way, I have a very nice collection of high end high quality survival knives going! Sorry this is so long but my passion is knives and I could discuss them for hours.[/quote']Dude, all I can say is your FB knife is SUPERB!!! You are one LUCKY man to own such a well made, and rare knife. It's perfect.I'm looking forward to seeing your newest knife when you get it.If you wish to share more photos of your FB knife.....PLEASE DO!!! :thumbsup::thumbsup:

sharpedged I'm just curious what exactly did your father carry in Nam, was it a Ka Bar or a custom piece he picked up on the way to being deployed?or did he modify his in some way like a lot of GI's did back then with in theater modifications personally I've never seen rambo 4 so I wouldnt know what he carried there and I dont know what the Rambo Missions handmade knife would be eitherI can say this though it might be worth it to look up a guy called fitzen of razors edge, nutinfancy did a few bits with him years ago and he's certainly got some interesting knives here.http://www.youtube.com/user/FitzenKnivesand I didnt know he had his own channel until I just looked him up right now lolalso I have to say I love my new benchmade megumi knife and the spyderco dragonfly 2 and they are very nice knives to go for if they meet your fancy.

funny I love the megumi so much I dont mind that its abit tricky to get open one handed vs the very easy to handle and open dragonfly 2, mind you a little hoppies number 9 gun oil to the pivots helped ease it up abit.just have to make sure you dont get oil on the wood as that will damage it and its finish.kinda funny actually I've been looking at that megumi for six years since it first came out and I just figured hell with it i'll order the damn thing vs the boring but good Kershaw skyline I was using before. which since then I've decided to permanently retire because of how bland and boring it is vs the megnumi
yeah I like the megumi that much lol also it might not be a bad idea to go for the dragonfly in a bright non earthtone color to match vices style like say maybe yellow.just for the sake of making it stand out and making it easy to locate if you ever accidentally drop the thing.