More of the collection....

jama555

The Desert Eagle Mk. I. I can tell by the teardrop-shaped safety on the slide. The safety changed on the Mk. VII, and the way to tell the difference between the Mk. VII and the Mk. XIX is that the XIX has a scope-rail mount above the barrel.

Good catch on the Desert Eagle. I learned something new myself. I picked it up from a friend, who also built my AKs, listed here.I picked it up for $900.00 with the 6", 10", and 14" barrel, plus a case and 3 magazines. It included a top notch trigger job.I sold the 14" barrel for $100. I always dreamed of owning a Desert Eagle. It shoot both .357 and 38 specials, by simply changing the springs.It was worth ever penny.

Good catch on the Desert Eagle. I learned something new myself. I picked it up from a friend' date=' who also built my AKs, listed here.I picked it up for $900.00 with the 6", 10", and 14" barrel, plus a case and 3 magazines. It included a top notch trigger job.I sold the 14" barrel for $100. I always dreamed of owning a Desert Eagle. It shoot both .357 and 38 specials, by simply changing the springs.It was worth ever penny.[/quote']$900? That seems a bit cheap for a DE. Considering yours is a Mk. I, that might be a bit substantial. Plus the wear it's had. The 14" barrel is a bit too much, a bit cliche too. I would keep the 6" barrel only though, as a 10" is a bit too much for me too, IMO. This was the first prototype Desert Eagle in .357 Magnum:Eingefügtes BildThat changed into the version you have, the Mk. I (1) in .357 Magnum:Eingefügtes BildThen that changed into the next version, the Mk. VII (7) in .357 Magnum:Eingefügtes BildThen that changed into the most recent version, the Mk. XIX (20) in .50AE:Eingefügtes BildSee this for more info on the gun (Although their pictures for the Mk. VII, the gun is actually a Mk. I: http://world.guns.ru/handguns/hg/isr/desert-eagle-e.html

From what I understand, he put only 40 rounds through it, and those were 38 specials. He also invested in trigger job done at the factory.There is some slide wear and tear on it, but other than that, I probably would categorize as VG condition.I may consider selling the 10" barrel as well, but it was fitted to the gun, so it may pose some problems to the new owner.I shot some 38s out of it, and there was zero recoil. Anyway, thanks for the history lesson. Take care. John

Hi Codemaster94:Thanks for the history lesson of the DE. You are 100% correct on the specific model that I have. It is a Mark I. Based on the SN, it probably was built in the late 80's to early 90's, putting it from the era of the Mark I.I really thought that I had bought a Mark VII. That is what the gunsmith told me. I guess he knows more about AKs than DE.Anyway, it seems that given the condition, it might be worth something more than what I paid for it.Thanks for the advice. John

What's the smith? a 686?and how come you dont have any 22 pistols/revolvers?

It is a S&W 686, plus, (holds 7 rounds), 4 inch barrel. Good eye. It was the first handgun I bought.I have been debating on getting a 22, ruger, semi auto. I probably will one day. It only makes sense, given the low recoil and the low cost of the ammo. Normally, I shoot 38s to sharpen my skills.The other is a Colt Python, 6" barrel. That is a collectible, obviously.Unfortunately, my collection got bigger than I was expecting it to be, and I thinned it out as best as I could. The Mini-30 was completely unexpected but I wanted to add at least one american rifle to the collection.

I normally shoot a beat up smith K22 from the 1950's, the ruger 22's typically need a hall quartzen trigger just to be decent to great.you could also go for a high standard sentinel or an H and R 999 sportsman when it comes to alternatives to the smiths and the colt 22 revolversand just an fyi avoid the post dash 3 smith and wesson revolvers, both my dad and me have had trouble with them but not the ones made before the 1980's, hell for the longest time my dad avoided all smith and wesson revolvers till I told him about that rule of thumbanything beyond the 1980 to now mark is apparently a crap shoot quality wise and I've heard it also applies to the colts as well, sorry if it seems like I'm pissing on your colt and smith there but there is some truth to it, although it seems to be a revolver only kind of issue.but I still kick myself for not going after that python that was selling at the show here for 700 bucks, there now going for atleast a 1000 and up.

No problem. I can take constructive criticism where it applies and you have brought up some interesting and true points.However, I did own a Colt King Cobra, that had a trigger from hell, and you could only do so much to it to soften or lighten it, but it was one of the best revolvers I ever shot.About the Smith and Wesson 686, I bought mine in the 90's and besides of a trigger job to lighten the pull, I never had any problems with it.The Colt Python is the pride and joy of my collection, when it comes to the revolvers. The trigger pull is like cutting through warm butter, and is very accurate, and yes, without problems.I can appreciate that you may not like S&W and Colts, and you have your reasons. The 1911 is a proven design, but it is not my first choice. It has been copied by many countries and can be upgraded to a match grade pistol, but then, it is not my cup of tea.I was very skeptical of the Glocks, till I bought one, and now, I feel that a Glock should be in every army in the world.But that is what makes us gun enthusiasts such unique people, because there are so many designs, models, calibres, to choose from.

No I do like smith's and colts I'm just saying that because of my dad's problems with his late 80's made k22 that would never consistently fire properly even after going back to the factory a few times and the fact that a brand new 357 he bought in either the late 70's or early 80's had a clyinder lock up on him with the first 6 shots he ever shot out of it made me understandbily hesatant to even give them a chance.since then we gave an old model 49 (in addition to the k22) from the 1960's a go that looked to be a cop gun with no mechanical wear and never had any trouble with it or the k22and a model 29 - 2 with a 6 inch barrel, no issues with that either it really does sound like it did in the film with 180 gr rounds although articles like this dont exactly inspire confidence in me regarding the new new smith and wesson:http://www.thegunzone.com/sw340pd.htmland while I do prefer the larger caliber guns like the m1911 to most guns my signature still has to be the walther p38, it just looks right and fits my hand fine.http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=213371424

Everything you talked about here, has validity. I myself, wondered about use of plastic, alloy metals, and other materials that can break, present a risk to the gun and the owner itself.No way would I buy one of those plastic, lightweight throwaway guns myself. The older guns might be heavier but they were made to last.It would take an extremely hot round to crack a S&W 686 or Colt Python. They are very heavy guns, but you are entitled to your opinions.Anyway, as I stated before, we each have our own gun preferences, that is what makes us unique.I do like your choices. At least we appear to agree that the lightweight guns are probably not the sturdiest to shoot, especially .357.

Hi Codemaster94:Thanks for the history lesson of the DE. You are 100% correct on the specific model that I have. It is a Mark I. Based on the SN' date=' it probably was built in the late 80's to early 90's, putting it from the era of the Mark I.I really thought that I had bought a Mark VII. That is what the gunsmith told me. I guess he knows more about AKs than DE.Anyway, it seems that given the condition, it might be worth something more than what I paid for it.Thanks for the advice. John[/quote'] No problem. Kinda wondering why you posted that twice, but it's all good.