Artwork above OCB door

miamijimf

Anyone have an idea about where I can find a clearer picture of the interesting frieze above the Gold Coast Shipping (OCB) door. All I can find are long distance shots of the building or closer shots of half the frieze. I have looked at a lot of episodes but the best view I have been able to capture so far is below. Thanks,Eingefügtes Bild

Good thread' date=' same curiosity here.[/quote']Thanks, it's really a fascinating piece of artwork. Looks like a male murmaid figure holding up a PT boat, that were built there during WWII and other objects like a ship's wheel etc. Would like to find a clearer picture.

If I were you, I'd look into the history of the actual building itself. I know it's no longer there, but the artwork wasn't from MIAMI VICE, but an original piece of the building. I think the clues lay there. It may be a crest linked to the history of the building. There are people on this site that can tell you where the building once stood to start your search.Good thread! :thumbsup:

Male Mermaid...hmmm..maybe neptune?From what i know when the put down the building, the constructors said they would preserve the "face" of it. So...from what i can watch on the episodes, if they didnt preserve the artwork, what would they would preserve? I think thats the most significante part of the building. And sometimes this artwork gave me the idea of an historical place (before MV). But looking again, seems a simple building with an artowrk at the main door.

If I were you' date=' I'd look into the history of the actual building itself. I know it's no longer there, but the artwork wasn't from MIAMI VICE, but an original piece of the building. I think the clues lay there. It may be a crest linked to the history of the building. There are people on this site that can tell you where the building once stood to start your search.Good thread! :thumbsup:[/quote']
BINGO!!

BINGO!!

Thanks guys but I've been to those sites and researched the history of Gold Coast Shipping etc and haven't found a picture of the frieze. I think the best hope is to find a Vice episode with a clear close up shot. I've looked at quite a few lately but not all. Or there may be a historical source I haven't found yet.

Thanks guys but I've been to those sites and researched the history of Gold Coast Shipping etc and haven't found a picture of the frieze. I think the best hope is to find a Vice episode with a clear close up shot. I've looked at quite a few lately but not all. Or there may be a historical source I haven't found yet.

I'm betting that there is a historical sourse that you just haven't found yet. I heard that there is a miniature model of the building inside of the current building. I wonder if the company that is there has any records that could be provided?

As far as i know Latitude on the River has plans to build a recreation of the OCB building on the corner of SW 2nd Ave and SW 7th St. But it was a few years ago. Eingefügtes Bild

As far as i know Latitude on the River has plans to build a recreation of the OCB building on the corner of SW 2nd Ave and SW 7th St. But it was a few years ago. Eingefügtes Bild

Thanks but that never happened. There may be a Vice episode with a good shot that I haven't found yet.

I don't have any problem with this link. I added second in my previous post' date=' hope there won't be any troubles this time. :)[/quote']Thanks Crockett and LNGLK those are much better than the shots I have. :thumbsup:

for me this "Nepthune-male mеrmaid" looks like a man holing either a vase or a coat of arms:o

The website below from page one has this to say about the coat of arms....http://buybeach.com/latitude/history.html"The large relief panel above the building entrance shows a man holding a ship aloft while kneeling in water and surrounded by a ship's helm, propeller and gear. The site was the former home to the Miami Shipbuilding Corp. The ship manufacturer put up the one-story, Art Moderne building in 1940, after winning a contract to build ships designed to rescue downed pilots during World War II. As WWII PT boats were built at the site, the development team plans to erect an historical marker on the Riverwalk."

I made several pictures of the whole building back in 2001 having in mind to build my own house with some of the design elements of the Gold Coast Shipping building. I scanned these pictures and uploaded them on one of the other vice sites but that is all gone now. Can’t find them here on my backups and unfortunately all the original pictures are somewhere in boxes in Germany..

Just found one of my pictures on the "other" side with google image search:http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcShdWVmNhSFHvz5ybrKqG4q1MBMTHkZuRlFi6Ke6IFSPuZYvdjfXg&t=1Here is a larger version that ended up in someone else’s fotobucket account :rolleyes:Eingefügtes BildStill not the quality I uploaded back in time and there must be somewhere else a close up shot of the panel. Tried to find it but that damn site is so lame..

Artwork DescriptionPer the Miami Historic Sites page:"In 1939, the Miami Shipbuilding Corporation won the contract to build the first PT boats, which were used to rescue downed pilots during World War II. The complex includes metal structures, built during the shipyard's expansion in 1940-1941, which are attached to a two-story Art Moderne style office building. The large bas relief panel above the office building's entrance depicts a man holding a ship aloft while kneeling in water and surrounded by a ship's helm, propeller, and gear."http://www.historicpreservationmiami.com/miamiship.htmlGood day!