Episode #57 "Down For The Count" Part 2

Ferrariman

• 1 year later...
  • Administrators

I gave this one a 10. Larry's death was sad but also gave realism to the show where sometimes the good guys die.

• Like 1

In the pantheon of Vice greatness they bow down to Down For The Count Part II and it's magisterial brilliance.Down For The Count Part II is a stunning episode. They really spoiled us with this incredible episode. Down For The Count Part II is flawless and a perfect Vice episode.Part II opens superbly with the mortuary sequence, a beautiful scene that continued from the end of Part I perfectly. Music consultant Fred Lyle excelled himself here.‘Blind Faith’ by Corey Hart was perfect and an absolutely brilliant choice for the scene. It’s such a beautiful song. One of my favourite Vice songs. It’s a powerful song that really carried the whole mortuary scene. Very nice work by Talbott in that scene too. Switek is so overcome with grief he can’t say anything. The mortuary scene was great. Zito’s death was handled beautifully on the show. They got the balance exactly right. It wasn’t too mawkish or overly sentimental.Some excellent scenes follow, such as the grief stricken OCB crew in the office with Castillo telling them to do their grieving in private then Switek’s indignation when told that Zito’s fingerprints were on the syringe. This was continued onto the next scene at Internal Affairs where he was infuriated by the accusation that Zito was a druggie. The scene where Crockett smashes a cup in frustration when Castillo announces that Zito goes down as an overdose was also great. Some lovely scenery too - Zito’s apartment and the Miami Beach Post Office on Washington Avenue, a building I’m very familiar with. Now we move on to Alfredo Guillini. In my opinion he is the greatest villain in the show’s history. A brilliant character played superbly. A combination of Bugsy Siegel and Charles Manson. ‘nuff said. He is impossibly cool, smart, funny, scary, ruthless, cold blooded. He’s got it all. Joe Dallesandro was brilliant in the role. I have nothing but praise for his portrayal. His performance is faultless. He steals every one of his scenes. The character is superbly written. All of his dialogue is superb. They should’ve brought him back in a future episode.I’m a massive fan of Joe Dallesandro, although I haven’t seen any of those Warhol movies he was in. I think he is possibly the most overlooked and underrated actor ever. He was immortalized in music by Lou Reed, The Smiths and Briskeby. That alone makes him a living legend. He was also great as mob boss Paul ‘Pat the Cat’ Patrice in the first season of the show Wiseguy and he made the best ever screen Lucky Luciano in The Cotton Club. But he didn’t really get too much work in Hollywood apart from that, which is shameful. He really should’ve been on The Sopranos. How could Hollywood casting directors have so overlooked the talents of Joe Dallesandro?Guillini’s apartment is in the Tifany Condo in Bal Harbor. That scene on the balcony where he threatens Sordoni’s family is mesmerizing. The sea view is stunning and Guillini is terrifying. “There’s a lot of wackos out there. Guys who make me look like a Sunday school teacher. These guys, they’d love to do something terrible to your familyâ€. Gulp! I would not annoy that guy! Once again, superbly acted by Joe. I had to laugh at the scene Guzman’s house when Sordoni says lots of people are scared of Guillini. He’d know.This episode really is wall to wall perfection. Next up is the fantastic car chase, which gets my vote as the greatest car chase in the show’s history. The cars zooming through downtown Miami at night, it’s such a thrilling and pulsating sequence. Billy Idol’s ‘Don’t Need A Gun’ was another brilliant song and ionce again a flawless song choice. It matched the action perfectly. Brilliant chase sequence. To put it succinctly, wow. I also enjoyed Chris Elliott’s guest appearance. He’s a funny guy. He was great in Groundhog Day and There’s Something About Mary too. Nice to hear Jimi Hendrix’s ‘All Along The Watchtower’ in that scene. And Trudy and Gina look hot in that scene too. Chris Elliott also appeared briefly in Mr. Mann’s Manhunter.The build up to the mall shootout was great. The sequence was complemented very much by ‘I Want To Make The World Turn Around’ by The Steve Miller Band.Then the climatic mall shootout. Another fantastic sequence. Great location and it is a serious contender for the best shootout of the whole series. It’s great how Switek avenged Zito’s murder. I really dig the shot of Guzman falling through the plate glass window. Great exit. The mall shootout is a brilliant climax to a brilliant episode.Then a very satisfying closing scene on the St. Vitus with a nice tribute to Lar. A nice end to a masterfully executed episode.Down For The Count Part II is a phenomenally brilliant episode that encapsulates everything that is great about Vice.10/10. A masterpiece

• Like 1

Guest neworder

Got to start with the highlight of this episode, the Testarossa chase is fantastic. I cant find another TV show car chase that can match it, it is brilliant, fantastic, phenomenal, awesome, amazing, rad etc etc. The music fits perfectly and its just all action packed, very vice style aswell. Love how when the 2nd pursuing car chrashes into the broken down vehicle and as it travels through the air, the iconic blue building is in the background (dunno what the building is called). Apart from the car chase, terrific ending also with a great shoot-out and Stan getting Guzman in the end. All the characters did well in this episode but i wasn't too keen on the 'code Cr**ker' guy, but gina/trudy looked hot in the scene so that more than makes up for it. Overall good performances, good use of music, excellent action and a great episode that turns a kinda long drawn out story in part 1 into a fantastic second parter. One of Vice's finest hours! 9/10Downhill from now on (By season 3 standards anyway).

This is a really great episode, we see Stan pretty much pushed to his moral limits, he may not be the main character but he played a more central role in this episode, although from here on out, he will have changed a lot, the finale where he shoots Guzman and causing him to fall out a window is one of the greatest action scenes in the series.I give it a 9 out of 10.

the finale where he shoots Guzman and causing him to fall out a window is one of the greatest action scenes in the series.QUOTE]I agree. That was a great exit for Guzman

In the end mall scene, it is so clear that Tubbs' stunt double is being used. It threw me off the ending unfortunately. It looked a bit silly...And of course, the ending is quite predictable. Part 1 was much better and I felt sad there was going to be no more Zito. Part 2 wasn't as strong as it could have been. But that's comparing Part 2 to Part 1. Otherwise, it was a very good episode. 8/10

Switek : "Larry was my partner......but to me, he was more like a brother......... sorry." Can you watch this and not shed a tear or get a lump in your throat? I can't! :cry:Castillo : " The street has no sympathy" ; "No evidence of a homicide ; "It's going down as an overdose." Crockett calls O.D. a "crock" & smashes his coffee cup on floor. These are some powerful scenes from this episode. I liked this one much better than Part 1. More Miami color, cool Las Vegas gangsters, great shoot- out at the Mall. A real Vice episode as a conclusion & a tribute to Larry Zito. I got a kick out of all the plastic flamingos at the front of Zito's apt. & all the snow globes he collected. Sykes looked cool in the white jacket, blue shirt & pants. Exciting car chase & music. Laughed out loud when Sonny tells Rico " Maybe they want to sell us Girl Scout cookies. Hitmen with jackets covering their guns. Switek gets his revenge on Guzman! Finally he gives a toast on the boat " To Lawrence Zito, a cop, a man, a great friend." Excellent, I give it a 10. :done::clap:

My original review Posted: 21 June 2007 at 5:32pmI always thought this part had a separate and totally different feel from pt 1. After reading the Unofficial Episode Guide, I found out that Streetwise was shot between Pt 1 and Pt 2 which also explains Zito's absence from Streetwise. I love Part II much better than Part I. For one thing there's not as many boxing scenes. I love the music in this section. I guess the music played during the Funeral scene goes well with it. Stan shows great emotion in that all he can get out are a few words, it also shows that Stan had a long friendship with Larry because he knew who his relatives were and no one else did. It was also a nice touch that Castillo was talking to Larry's Mother or Grandmother (whoever she was) Larry's other colleagues were very subdued and appropriately dressed Crockett even wore a dark tie. Contrast this scene to the briefing room where Castillo tells everyone to grieve in private there's no sympathy on the street. It seems heartless, but it's a good way to get the surviving members back to business. Stan of course blames Sonny, and it seems that they all do to some extent including Sonny himself. Rico is the only one who tries to get back to normal activities. I found it interesting that for once when Sonny looked to Gina or Trudy for a little comfort, he didn't get it. So he leaves and then we get a glimpse of how Larry's death has affected Gina and Trudy. Trudy took someone home but it didn't make her feel any better and Gina (although she has trouble) breaks a pencil. The comment Sonny makes when he and Rico go to Larry's apartment is a telling statement. "You see a person everyday for 7 years and yet you know nothing about him." It was a nice touch for Crockett to feed Harriet, and also a nice piece of continuity for Harriet to be there. Also the fact that he told Rico he didn't care if they crashed and burned they were going to stay on this until we clear Zito's name also indicated to me that Sonny was feeling responsible for Zito's death to some extent. That statement wasn't just because a good cop was being falsely accused of drugs, Sonny felt some responsiblity for Zito's death. Everything's going along like a normal Miami Vice story, picturesque scenes of Miami, Rico and Sonny still trying to run their scam, the team investigating. Jimmy Hendrix music was perfcet for that Ace Cryptographer that lived in an airplane That was a little creepy with the roving car keeping watch. When we get the Vegas Scenes it's a little startling (It looked like we had jumped to Crime Story for a few minutes) but then it comes together as we see that some Vegas mob guy Gilinni was upset about what Guzman was doing down in Miami. Billy Idol's You don't need a gun is the perfect music for the car chase and this is one of the greatest car chases in Miami Vice. I enjoy that whole sequence from Sonny's wisecracks to the Chasers' conversation, to the playing Chicken at the end. 'I want to Make the World Turnaround' is perfect for Stan who seems turned around himself but he really wanted to do the dark thing and let Ginlini hit Guzman without telling his colleagues, but at the last minute he couldn't go through with it and came back into the world of light. The words fit Stan's situation pretty good. I love the ending shoot out, but the ending on the St, Vitus bothers me a little bit. It reminds me of one of those quickie Star Trek endings where everything's OK but there's no explanation. It's great that Larry is cleared, but what evidence did IAD accept? What changed besides Guzman being dead? Who talked and cleared Larry? I love the scene on the St. Vitus and the last toast to Larry but how did they get IAD to clear Larry? Who was left alive to prove that Larry was murdered among the participants and witnesses? I give the second half of this a 9 because of the music use, and the car chase, and the interaction among the surviving OCB gang. 11/25/2009 - I watched this episode again last weekend. I still like everything I did then, and I still have questions about the 'Star Trek like quickie ending'. Did Stan have to go thru some IAD hearing because he shot Guzman? Balistics would have proved the bullets came from Stan's gun. Considering IAD thought Vice was full of a bunch of cowboys and shoot happy people. Did Stan finally get some desk duty afterwards? And what about the Sports Satelite Deal Sonny and Rico were running? Did Gelini figure out that Burnett and Cooper were full of it, and if so why didn't this ever stick to Burnett and Cooper? It couldn't have been good business to not come thru for this Mobster? like I said too abrupt wrap up with lots of questions hanging, but a solid episode and one of my favorites. I rank it 9

• Like 1

Guest neworder

I was watching Top Gear the other night and Jeremy Clarkson called the Testarossa a rubbish Ferrari ... now normally I find Clarkson to be a good lad but I was shocked/annoyed when he said that ... then again I haven't driven one but it looks and sounds awesome.

As I said in Part 1, though it had it's moments, Part 2 isn't anywhere as good as part one.The scene where Guzman is making a break for it & grabs the girl & she sreams after about 5 seconds, really grates everytime!!!I'm not convinced that the Mall Scence works that well in places.....

• 2 weeks later...

This was one of the most memorable episodes of MV. I give it a very strong 9.It showed how determined Sonny, Rico and the Vice squad were to prove Zito did not kill himself with drugs and to bring Guzman to justice. I found the night chase with the Ferrari and Guilini's entourage was classic MV footage also!

• 1 month later...
The scene where Guzman is making a break for it & grabs the girl & she sreams after about 5 seconds' date=' really grates everytime!!!I'm not convinced that the Mall Scence works that well in places.....[/quote']Not just that, but just how stupid was Guzman to keep aiming at Switek when Switek clearly had the upper hand? Either he was dumb or he had a "you'll never take me alive, Copper!" attitude. But then again as we all know, if Guzman had have come quietly then he wouldn't have died, and Switek wouldn't have got the vengence that he so needed. Notice how it's always the cops for whom it's personal that kill the bad guy!Great car chase sequence, together with a great Billy Idol tune. This had to be the best scene of the episode.I loved Joe Dellasandro in this role. This I thought was a much better role for him then than Vincent De Marco in "One eyed Jack". If I was an actor I would love to play a character like Gollini. I loved his line "I don't don't just wanna know when he goes to the toilet. I wanna know what he does when he's in there you got it?"Does anyone else think that Crockett and Tubbs tend to go over the line sometimes with their "ends justify the means" approach? Crockett badgered Zito into getting himself, and Bobby Sykes involved in taking down Guzman. Zito did not feel comfortable with doing it, but in the end gave in, and it got both Zito and Moon killed. A similar thing happens in "The Prodigal Son" when Crockett and Tubbs relentlessly pressurise Borges into getting involved in their drug deal. Despite the fact that he is trying to get out of that business due to the risk, he eventually caves in and also thanks to Crockett and Tubbs, also gets killed.Did anyone notice the scene where the Testarossa drives off at 11m26s into the episode? The car looks like it's back end is missing?It was good that at the end of the episode, they clarify that Zito's name was cleared. However, Castillo was quite clear that unless new evidence came to light, Zito's death went down as an overdose. So in that case what was the new evidence?I still prefer part 2 though as there is more action and music, and less extended Boxing scenes as with part 1. I'll still give this one 7 out of 10 though.

• 1 year later...

Solid follow up to DFTC part one, still say this should've been bookended with the previous eppy. As S3 finale and the fourth season's premiere respectively.R.I.P. Zito 8/10

• 2 months later...

not too excited about this one either, so another 7 because its still better then lots of other eps.the car chase was great, switek was good, everything else was good but for some reason both parts dont really float my boatthe ending was predictable, I knew that Switek was going to get to shoot the guy who had Larry killed, really no surprise thereand why was Larrys name cleared just because the bad guys were killed??

Guest MetroVice

Down For The Count 1 & 2I enjoyed both episodes but definitely part 2 was my favorite. And i did notice the bumper missing from the Ferrari when Crocket & Tubbs left Zito's apartment. Not sure what that was about. I guess they figured we wouldn't notice.I loved part two though :cool:

• 10 months later...

While this episode was well done, I hated it and I think it was the beginning of the end for the show. Having Larry killed off may have provided realism but it was at the cost of much of the shows appeal. Something that culminated in Switeks downward spiral with gambling problems in Season Five. Of course the show was already in serious trouble by the James Brown / Aliens episode "Missing Hours" and at that point not even the addition of Sheena Easton could save it. The only real improvement over the first two seasons was the authentic Ferrari, but honestly I liked the look of the fake Daytona better.

• 1 month later...

I really wanted to love this episode but the plot doesn't make much sense. How did they clear Larry's name? Stan shoot Guzman and suddenly they're on the boat and everything's OK? I felt like I must have missed a scene...did I?Also the idea that a hardened cop (Zito) could be held down and injected with a lethal dose without a single bruise being left on his body is not realistic.Apart from these two fairly key problems the episodes are great - 8/10.I just wish the scripters had taken the time to close out these two plot issues - it wouldn't have taken much.

What else can I add.............?A tear jerker for sure and of course a feel good ending as Zito's name was cleared.

Down For The Count Part 2I hive a 10... This one really affected me I cried (although it's not very man-ly) in the last episode when Larry died. I liked at the end his name was cleared and that way he went down with some glory and honor. Great episode and satisfying ending to the story arc.

• 3 months later...

The 2nd part of Down For The Count is a real masterpiece - just as part 1!!!:happy::happy::clap:Though it's also a very gloomy and sad episode, it excellently handles Zito's death because it combines threnodial-scenes with VICE-typical action-sequences and a strong plot.The opening scenes at the funeral are on the one hand so beautiful - lighting, shots and location are awesome - and on the other hand deeply depressive.:cry:Blind Faith by Corey Hart is the main reason for the strength of the scene. There's so no song which fits better to these scenes than Blind Faith. You've the feeling that it's made especially for it!It's one of my favourite VICE songs!:radio::radio:For the first time, Switek doesn't mime the clown and can show - just as Zito in part 1 - his acting capability. His facial expression during the whole episode is brilliant, everybody exactly knows how he feels and thinks. This point finds expression during the scenes in the OCB-meeting-room. The whole team doesn't talk to one another and mourns. Castillo's part here is extremely cool. Although he seems coldhearted and uncomprehending, everybody knows that he has only one target: to arrest Guzman - but not with bloody revenge, but with laws.The following outburst of rage of Sonny is equally marvelous.The character difference between Sonny who's choleric, Castillo who's cool and impartial and Switek who's outwardly calm, but inside bristles with rage, is absolutely magnificent.:happy:The next scenes which I like are inside Zito's apartment. Sonny and Rico remember that essentially they don't know anything about their former workmate and friend - and now it's too late. This insight is very realistic because in everyday life you do something - like working with somebody - every day, but you don't appreciate it. Then a completely new character comes into play: Alfredo Giulini aka Joe Dallesandro. Dallesandro portrays this mobster more than perfectly, namely between dangerous incalculability and coolness. He excellently fits to this role and to VICE.:clap:It's enjoyable to see how Giulini and Guzman combat themselves mutually. There's no better way to ruin gangsters...At the end, Switek sniffs his chance to take revenge. These scenes are the last highlight. The scene change between Switek and Guzman inside the mall is awesome - along with it Steve Miller Band's I Want To Make The Word Turn Around:radio::happy: - a song where I get goose pimples...A really strong shootout between Sonny/Rico/Switek, Guzman and Guilini's followers finish this sad, but outstanding episode where Switek kills asshole Guzman with his complete ammo clip. That's pure VICE!!!Besides this world-class plot the 2nd part of Down For The Count features a great and nice interior design, especially Giulini's office in Las Vegas and Guzman's estate.And to say nothing of fine Crockett - Season 3 - fashion.:glossy:Down For The Count Part 2 is - as well as Part 1 - a very sad episode, but with a squad of superb actors, a strong plot with emotional music and hard action.Millions of points!!!

• 5 months later...

I honestly think that if I had one show to pick throughout the whole series to show someone Vice for the first time, this would be that show.