Ferrariman

Episode #57 "Down For The Count" Part 2

Tommy Vercetti    181
Tommy Vercetti

I think Guzman's lawyer Sordoni probably told the cops that Guzman had Zito killed and that's how they cleared his name.

ViceFanMan    198
ViceFanMan

I put this same review for Pt. 1:Okay...now for some of my least favorite episodes of Season 3 (this and Pt. 1). These two, and "Everybody's in Showbiz" are probably my least favorite ones of the season. "Showbiz" because of its bizarre, and no-point plot. :rolleyes: "Down For the Count" Pts. 1&2 because of the sad and depressing end of Zito. :cry:I know that John Diehl was wanting out, as his and Talbott's characters were really going nowhere. He was tired of playing one of two "goofs" and wanted a more serious part. I agree, that over time his and Switek's characters should have "grown" and changed somewhat. They should have had a couple more episodes that focused on them...and not like "Made For Each Other"--which in my opinion was stupid and ridiculous! :sick:But, I wish they had not decided to kill off the character of Lawrence "Larry" Zito...why do writers/producers think they have to kill characters off every "dang" time an actor wants to leave a show? :confused: What's wrong with having them leave to go do something else...leaving the chance that someday they might make a return appearance? They did it with Farrah Fawcett and her 'Jill Munroe' character on "Charlie's Angels"...why does Zito have to die?I hate sad and depressing things! :thumbsdown: If I want that I'll watch the freakin' news. ;) Or go to work...as I'm a social worker and work with troubled kids. So, the death of Zito is probably the main reason I really don't like this two-parter. :eek:The other reason I don't like these episodes is that I really don't care for boxing stuff. :rolleyes: It seemed like every cop/detective/crime show from the 70's-90's had to do a "prison" episode...and a "boxing" episode! Really?? They are so predictable and way over-done! :evil:However, the acting in this 2-parter is superb...as is some of the music and/or Jan Hammer scores included. :clap: John Diehl and Michael Talbott especially "shown" in this :glossy: , with their acting. I also really liked the gun action at the end, in the mall, and that Switek got to be the one to avenge his partner's death! :thumbsup: Because of these few aspects I did go ahead and give this and Pt. 1 a 6.

TheMann    9
TheMann

Part 2 used to be my most re watched episode because of its aesthetics, the way they wound up the tension and let it unfurl into action. Upon re watching via DVD though, I'm distracted by their back burnering of Tubbs both in dialogue, and in the climactic shoot out. Tubbs would never suggest they pull over to see what they want... PMT must've guffawed when he read that script. And the stunt doubling of him taking cover behind that planter and never being seen from again, is a complete distraction now. He must've still been laughing about the dialogue and didn't make it to the set that day.

Matt5    1,919
Matt5

Part 2 really stepped up a gear and was very good - as a piece "Down for the Count ( Part 1 &2 ) " was great viewing together.

Good directing from Richard Compton , these were his first episodes he directed for the show  :dance2::dance2:

Edited by Matt5

ArtieRollins    194
ArtieRollins

I am already halfway through season 3 now. Well I did cheat a little, some episodes I saw last year, but then again they were sadly not that impressive and rather forgettable ones, so I skipped them this time, and will probably not be seeing them any time soon. 

Anyway, as with Season 2 here is my ratings of the first 13 episodes of Season 3:

Episode 46 - When Irish Eyes Are Crying 6/10

Not on the same level as the first episode of Season 1 and 2, but I kind of liked it, even though it drowned out a bit with the whole fast forward romance part between Gina and Sean. I think Jeff Fahey might have fitted the role of Sean better than Liam though, he just comes off as a bit too stiff.

Episode 47 - Stone's War 5/10

Episode 48 - Killshot 6/10

Episode 49 - Walk Alone 6,5/10

Episode 50 - The Good Collar 8/10

The first really great Miami Vice classic in season 3. It took some episodes out to get there, but this one I can watch over and over again.

Episode 51 - Shadow in the Dark 4/10

Poor man's Manhunter, and an episode I'll probably never watch again.

Episode 52 - El Viejo 5/10

Episode 53 - Better Living Through Chemistry 5,5/10

Episode 54 - Baby Blues 6,5/10

One of many episodes that deserved a much better villain, this one was more goofy lookin' than scary.

Episode 55 - Streetwise 6/10

One of the first Miami Vice episodes I saw, and even though it is not one of the great ones, I give an extra point to the beautiful ladies, especially Trudy and Gina in their street outfits. 

Episode 56 - Forgive Us Our Debts 5,5/10

Great beginning and end, but nothing too special. Again weakend by having too goofy/comic looking bad guys instead of more menacing ones. 

Episode 57 - Down For The Count" (Part 1) 8,5/10

Episode 58 - Down For The Count" (Part 2) 8/10

Now were talking. I have lost count on how many times I have watched these two episodes. The end scene with Switek finding Zito in the showers is heartbreaking and I really am glad Stan got his revenge later on. Guzman and his goons might come off as more sleazy than goofy looking, but you know he means buiness and is not to kid around with.

The first part is a little bit better than second one, as I felt it was too rushed in the last 7-8 minutes, and Would loved too see more of Joe Dallesandro as he made Guzman look like a little kid, the scene with Sordoni was truly great. Thats the kind of bad guy I wanted to see more of in Miami Vice, an ice cold psychopath and not the too often used cartoonish/goofy ones that you forget within a few seconds.

The music by both Jan Hammer and guest musicians were top notch, I liked how Evan or was it Talk? was used in the beginning of Part 2 with clips from Part 1, very powerful.

After going through the first 13th episodes of Season 3 Down For The Count Part 1 and 2 and The Good Collar stands out as really great ones, the rest is not really that weak but nothing special either. I do hope there are a couple of great ones coming later one, as Season 3 really needs it if not it will probably end up with between 6/10 or 6,5/10 which is not that bad, but I hoped it would be a least on par with season 2

Edited by ArtieRollins

Remington    127
Remington

I consider this and P1 to be one episode. They're both brilliantly directed.

Gulini has little screen time but he leaves a hell of an impression. Would'nt want to deal with him. The scene between him and the guy at the hotel was great. Lovely view too.

It also includes IMO, the best car chase of the series. It's extremely badass.

The guy living in the plane was funny.

The finalex apart from "Tubbs", was pretty good. The music was good and I was glad to see Guzman dead.

The downside is that it does get a little dramatic with all the shots of Switek looking moody. It gets old quick. Also fhe guys with guns under their coats at the end was laughable.

Call me when the view is better.

9.5/10

ViceFanMan    198
ViceFanMan
On 5/1/2013 at 1:20 AM, ViceFanMan said:

I put this same review for Pt. 1: Okay...now for some of my least favorite episodes of Season 3 (this and Pt. 1). These two, and "Everybody's in Showbiz" are probably my least favorite ones of the season. "Showbiz" because of its bizarre, and no-point plot. :rolleyes: "Down For the Count" Pts. 1&2 because of the sad and depressing end of Zito. ;( I know that John Diehl was wanting out, as his and Talbott's characters were really going nowhere. He was tired of playing one of two "goofs" and wanted a more serious part. I agree, that over time his and Switek's characters should have "grown" and changed somewhat. They should have had a couple more episodes that focused on them...and not like "Made For Each Other"--which in my opinion was stupid and ridiculous! :wuerg: But, I wish they had not decided to kill off the character of Lawrence "Larry" Zito...why do writers/producers think they have to kill characters off every "dang" time an actor wants to leave a show? ?( What's wrong with having them leave to go do something else...leaving the chance that someday they might make a return appearance? They did it with Farrah Fawcett and her 'Jill Munroe' character on "Charlie's Angels"...why did Zito have to die? I hate sad and depressing things! :thumbsdown: If I want that I'll watch the freakin' news. ;) Or go to work...as I'm a social worker and work with troubled kids. So, the death of Zito is probably the main reason I really don't like this two-parter. :eek: The other reason I don't like these episodes is that I really don't care for boxing stuff. It seemed like every cop/detective/crime show from the 70's-90's had to do a "prison" episode...and a "boxing" episode! Really?? :rolleyes: They are so predictable and way over-done! :evil: However, the acting in this 2-parter is superb...as is some of the music and/or Jan Hammer scores included. :clap: John Diehl and Michael Talbott especially "shown" in this :glossy: , with their acting. I also really liked the gun action at the end, in the mall, and that Switek got to be the one to avenge his partner's death! :thumbsup: Because of these few aspects I did go ahead and give this and Pt. 1 a 6.

This was my review from a few years ago...not much has changed in my opinion of this 2-parter. Good acting and music...but very sad and depressing. Not my favorite episode/s of the season for sure...nor of the series as a whole for that matter. :(

• Like 1

Remington    127
Remington

This is one of the few times the depressing feel didn't bother me. Thats why S5 is my least favorite. It just went too far.

ViceFanMan    198
ViceFanMan
36 minutes ago, Remington said:

This is one of the few times the depressing feel didn't bother me. Thats why S5 is my least favorite. It just went too far.

Zito's death did really bother me and I don't like  it. Plus the boxing plot bores and irritates me. But, I agree season 5 was too "dark"...and kind of bizarre in my opinion. ?( The show seemed lost at this point. But, I think if they'd of gotten some better writers again, if the cast would have been on board, and the network would have okay'd it, I think the show could have revived itself and gone on for a few more seasons. But it is what it is. :cool: :thumbsup:

• Like 2