Best Film Soundtracks?

CrockettandTubbs

I was just wondering if anyone else here is a fellow soundtrack junkie? You know...it makes up more of your music library than pop and other such genres?You know, the crashing orchestras that power people up in the mornings, or the romantic undertones (such as John Williams' beautiful Across the Stars) that just add to a mood?I have to admit, I am a Hans Zimmer-aholic, but my favourite soundtrack is the subtle and quiet Social Network music!Anyone else got any soundtrack vices?

I was just wondering if anyone else here is a fellow soundtrack junkie? You know...it makes up more of your music library than pop and other such genres?You know' date=' the crashing orchestras that power people up in the mornings, or the romantic undertones (such as John Williams' beautiful Across the Stars) that just add to a mood?I have to admit, I am a Hans Zimmer-aholic, but my favourite soundtrack is the subtle and quiet Social Network music!Anyone else got any soundtrack vices?[/quote']I have over 2,000 film scores. I used to host a soundtrack radio show in the 1990's. I love many composers such as Williams (my favorite, I have everything he's done) Goldsmith, Broughton, Silvestri, Horner, Zimmer, you name it. :clap:

*is speechless**recovers*OK. *feels inadequate*Do you do trailer music too? Like Immediate Music, X-Ray Dog, Two Steps From Hell etc?

*is speechless**recovers*OK. *feels inadequate*Do you do trailer music too? Like Immediate Music' date=' X-Ray Dog, Two Steps From Hell etc?[/quote']Well, I don't own those you mentioned, but somewhere I have Goldsmiths trailer music to JUDGE DREDD which he ended up not scoring. I have tons of LIMITED EDITIONS, PROMOS, UNRELEASED SCORES, AND STUDIO TAPES. I don't own many modern scores that have come out reciently, as I liked the scores that came out in the 80's and 90's.

Trailer music is not the way it once was. Music for trailers used to be made for the film by the composer. Now a days, the music for a trailer is sourced from some other film, and just placed there.I reciently got the trailer music to RAMBO II by Jerry Goldsmith.Composers have put out thier own cd as a way to promote themselves. Robert Folk has done it, as has Bruce Broughton. I love it when they do that.

You are absolutely right Coop, very few people use their composers to make the trailer music!I think that E.S. Posthumus' "Unstoppable" is my favourite, but it would be better if the music was composed by the composer! They do everything else, so surely they should be allowed to do the trailers too?Having said that, considering I love TSFH and X Ray Dog and all the others...I shouldn't really say that! :D

A great topic! There are plenty of movie scores and many composers I like. Eric Serra ("Le Grand Bleu"), James Horner ("Sneakers", "A Beautiful Mind", "House of Sand and Fog", etc.), Thomas Newman ("Men Don't Leave", "Angels in America", "Six Feet Under", "American Beauty" and lots more), Hans Zimmer, our Polish composers Zbigniew Preisner, Wojciech Kilar... I never watch the movies which my students so eagerly watch, all this 3D stuff and contemporary disaster movies (all those 1970s ones are OK for me ;)), animated films and the like so I may be missing on some good soundtracks but I can't help it, they are definitely not my idea of fun. I just like the good old traditional cinema, not something like too many computerized special effects, not much food for thought. I'm 40+, not a teenager :) - I'm too old for this stuff which I find boring.And I like Jan Hammer of course! :D:D:D

I have over 2' date='000 film scores. I used to host a soundtrack radio show in the 1990's. I love many composers such as Williams (my favorite, I have everything he's done) Goldsmith, Broughton, Silvestri, Horner, Zimmer, you name it. :clap:[/quote'] I hate to say this, but may I be allowed to ask what are/were all your jobs that you've done?! I mean, you were a radio host, hell, you once said you were the guy on Tim Allen's other side of his fence in Home Improvement (Although I think that was a joke), I mean, dude! What are/were all your jobs?! :eek:

• 3 years later...

Sorry about the bumping but I guess Its no need to start another thread about movie soundtracks.

The Estevez Brothers Charlie and Emilio did some great car movies back in the mids 80s, Repo Man (1984) and The Wraith (1986) has some killer soundtracks and are both pretty damn cool films and who can forget the stunning Sherilyn Fenn in The Wraith.

• Like 1

Repo Man = classic. Great film

I haven't seen The Wraith. Might check it out.

Edited by Tommy Vercetti

I haven't seen The Wraith. Might check it out.

The Wraith is a catch.

You get to see alot of Sherylin Fenn and some great car chases plus Clint Howard with one hell of a Jew-fro.

To Live and Die in L.A. (1985) had a killer soundtrack done by Wang Chung, and I guess Bill Friedkin were heavily influenced by Miami Vice when he made the film.

Its a great and underrated action thriller and I cannot understand how it took almost 20 years before Willy Petersens breakthrough with CSI as he was immense in this film and Manhunter.

Edited by ArtieRollins
  • Like 1

My favorite track to any movie will always be this one :D A Jerry Goldsmith classic and one of my most favorite movies.

As for '80s films its a tough one for me.Modern Girls has a solid soundtrack.Its got Icehouse,Depeche Mode,Chris Isaak,ect.The movie The Wild Life has some great songs too.It seems not too many know about this film which is a shame because its awesome!

• Like 1

That is a spooky tune indeed :eek: Goldsmith is a legend.

Yeah, it sure is, and it does fit perfectly in with the mood of Psycho II and I think of it as a very well made film that stands fine on its own.

Another piece of Goldsmiths magic touch from the "forgotten" sci-fi film Runaway (1984):

(The build up from 0:36 up to 0:1:47 is pure Goldsmith heaven, only wished it would last longer though)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QrvipfAf8yE

Tangerine Dream did lots of great 70s and 80s soundtracks but I think they were at their best in 1983 with Risky Business.

Love On A Real Train has to be one of the most beautiful and hypnotic themes from the 80s.

• Like 1

Great music of great film with great actor.

:cool:

I have always liked Arnold as the bad guy he was much more menacing than the other killer machines and the music really sets the mood of the film, very metallic/cold and I have always hoped that James Cameron one day would finnish the Terminator saga with an epic Future War as predicted in the first two films.

Here's a couple of other classics from The Terminator:

I have always liked Arnold as the bad guy he was much more menacing than the other killer machines and the music really sets the mood of the film, very metallic/cold and I have always hoped that James Cameron one day would finnish the Terminator saga with an epic Future War as predicted in the first two films.

Here's a couple of other classics from The Terminator:

Some nice tracks  :D

I thought they would never release the brilliant soundtrack for Manhunter on CD but it finally did came out in spring 2010 by Intrada.

Love those heavy synths and Graham's Theme is right up there as one of the finest instrumentals of its era.

Edited by ArtieRollins
  • Like 2

Thief (1981)

One of the best film openings that I can I think of.

Shimmering streets lights, heavy rain and a great pulsating soundtrack that oozes 80s atmosphere done by the german meisters that is Tangerine Dream.

Edited by ArtieRollins
  • Like 1