Redeem Thyself

CrockettandTubbs

Redeem Thyself

This is a challenge. I write a lot of stories. But they tend to focus on Crockett. So here's one that focuses on Tubbs, in all his amazing glory.Dedicated to Christine - I am so sorry, I have not yet translated this into German, but it is on my todo list, I promise!*said in Tubbs voice* Enjoy!Chapter One:“Crockett! Don’t ignore me!†Ricardo Tubbs was not impressed, and it was obvious from his voice. He was storming down the corridor leading away from the OCB office, following his rapidly retreating figure of Sonny Crockett. His partner, who was currently stalking away from everyone to find somewhere quiet. Which was something Tubbs was not going to let happen. He was pissed off. With Sonny.Being partners meant that some things just had to be tolerated-and other things they could overlook entirely. But not this time-this time, Crockett had gone too far, committed the one sin that could destroy partnerships in moments. He had not only insulted Tubbs in front of their colleagues and friends, he had also dressed him down and blamed him for single handedly ruining a month’s worth of investigation.
As if Rico didn’t already feel bad enough about the whole thing-he had privately apologised to Lieutenant Castillo for an error in judgement-a moment of madness-that had led to his and Sonny’s covers being blown and resulted in the suspect getting away and Crockett nearly ending up with a bullet in his brain. Castillo had subjected Tubbs to his icy, disapproving and disappointed glare, but had accepted the apology. The other members of the OCB were not so forgiving, for they had sacrificed many days off for nothing-and Crockett was beside himself with rage. He was barely looking at Rico, who had laid low at his apartment for three days, hoping Sonny would cool off.And then, in the tactics room today. Crockett had pointedly sat next to Switek, leaving an empty chair next to Tubbs. Tubbs had tried to make eye contact with his partner-who was also his best friend, closest confidante and a very important part of who he was-but Sonny had ignored him. Rico had nodded to himself, had looked away, had started drawing on his pad.Castillo had started the meeting, “We have a lead on Kiefer-there may be another chance to get him.â€Rico had raised his head, just slightly, eyes flickering to his Lieutenant.“What does it involve?†Switek had asked.“An undercover plant.†Castillo had responded.“Oh-perhaps we can let Tubbs screw it up again?†Crockett had spat, and Tubbs had never heard his voice so venomous. Tubbs had played with his hands for a moment before answering Crockett’s comment, “I have already apologised, Sonny, what else would you like me to do? Grovel?â€
And apparently he had said something that had clearly upset Sonny, for suddenly Crockett was on his feet. “You lost us an entire month of undercover work, pal! Your head was clearly elsewhere, and as a result, you lost of Kiefer, and I nearly ended up with a bullet in the back of my head!â€Tubbs had winced, visibly at that.“So yeah, you’ve apologised. And that’s just great. But I ain’t impressed, man, and you know that!â€â€œCrockett! Sit down.†Castillo had admonished. Crockett had turned his head sharply and then sat down abruptly. He had not spoken for the rest of the meeting. Tubbs had kept his head down too.Crockett had stormed away once the meeting was finished, leaving Tubbs to follow in his furious wake. He cornered Crockett in the men’s room, “Sonny!†He leaned against the door, restricting his partner’s exit, staring at his back. Sonny had his head lowered over the sink, body tense. There was silence between them. And then.“You said my name. You called me Crockett.†Sonny whispered. “What happened, man?â€â€œI don’t know. I don’t know, Sonny.†Tubbs answered. “I wasn’t...†He couldn’t even excuse what had happened. There was no excuse for letting a partner down. Tubbs knew that. He just shook his head dejectedly.Sonny was watching him in the mirror. “Whatever happened....we could have both been killed, Rico.†He turned so they were facing each other. “if we’re undercover, pal, then I need to be able to...trust you.â€Rico frowned, “You know you can always trust me...I would never betray-â€â€œI don’t mean that. I need to be able to trust that you are focused and your mind is on the job.†He paused. “I don’t know...â€Tubbs had never felt so hurt. He simply stared at Sonny, unable to answer the disappointment in Sonny’s tone.“I’m going home.†Crockett murmured. “See you tomorrow.â€Tubbs did not move. “I’ll make this up to you.â€Sonny sighed. “That’s not the point, Rico. That was the best chance we had of getting Kiefer. And you blew it.â€Tubbs stepped aside and let his partner leave. He stared at his reflection, seeing what everyone else saw. He gritted his teeth. But then something seized him. He would get Kiefer.His own way.***Dun dun dun. I hope it's a dramatic start. And Crockett ain't too out of character...he's just...a little cross. And spooked. All shall be corrected.Or will it? All comments will be gratefully and lovingly received. :cool:C&T
  • Like 1

This is a great start for a story!:thumbsup: But, of course, I feel very sorry for Rico!:cry: What a bad mistake! Can´t wait to read more!

• Like 1

Redeem ThyselfPart Two

Still dedicated to Christine!***Ricardo Tubbs stepped back into the office, picking the files up off his desk. He flicked through the sheaves of paper, pursing his lips and frowning so his brow creased. He exhaled slowly through his mouth, glancing at the empty desk across from him. Him, and his stupidity, had nearly got his partner killed. Sonny had every right in the world to be cross with him.He tucked the folders under his arm and turned to leave.“Rico?†Trudy came up to him, “Is that the Kiefer stuff? Do you want me to take them?†Her voice was warm. He smiled at her, “Nah, Trudy, I’m going to take them back to the store. I want to check we haven’t...missed anything.†He looked away, unable to hod her gaze.“He’ll cool off. These things happen.†She knew him too well, knew why he looked so desolate. He nodded distractedly, “He could’ve died because of me.â€â€œBut he didn’t. That is all that matters.†She handed him another folder, “Here. Could you take that one back for me too? Thanks.â€He turned to leave, feeling slightly better now that she had spoken to him. He hadn’t wanted to let anyone down. Everyone screwed up.Just...most people screwed up when it wasn’t so damn important!***Sonny Crockett sat down on the deckchair, stretching his legs out and sighing exasperatedly. Beside him, Elvis growled something that Sonny supposed was meant to be comforting. He glanced at his alligator, before taking a large mouthful of his beer and focusing his gaze back on the empty ocean before him.He was pissed off. He could barely look at his partner. He didn’t even want to be around him. He wasn’t even sure what the problem was. Sure, he loved Rico, was close to him, he was his partner, and they had been through a lot together. And during that time, Rico had never let him down. Ever.Until now. “What do you think, Crockett?â€Such a simple slip. It was a mistake that would cause so much damage. Sonny had realised it instantly, gaze lingering on Tubbs, trying to disguise the horror in his eyes. Rico had swallowed, and they had tried not to react--But Kiefer hadn’t got to where he had got to without being observant. And he realised it. Tubbs got out of the way, Crockett wasn’t so lucky, and a gun was pressed to the back of his head. He could still feel the cool metal-Tubbs had shot him, saving Crockett, and Vice had stormed in to stop the execution of two of their best detectives.But Crockett had simply stood up and turned to look at Rico. He stared at him, unable to believe his eyes. And he had turned and walked away.He took another gulp of the beer. Was he allowed to be this angry? Was it natural? They had been so close to getting Kiefer! It would have been one of the best moments of his career in Vice so far. And Rico had let him go...He threw the bottle overboard with a cry of rage, startling Elvis who hissed uncomfortably at him. Elvis didn’t like it when Crockett and Tubbs were not talking, because it made his owner unsettled. And when Sonny was unsettled, he was more likely to do stupid things.Sonny grabbed the railings of his boat, trying to wait out the anger. “What the hell, Rico?†He asked of thin air. “What the hell happened?â€***Rico shoved the forkful of noodles into his mouth, watching the cars move on the highway below. He was hurrying through his dinner so he could get back to work. He couldn’t afford to get greasy fingerprints everywhere. Chinese food, on reflection, was not the easiest to eat...quickly or tidily.He put the bowl down, cleaned his hands on a towel, and then lowered himself back down into the chair by his desk. A glance at the clock told him it had just gone eleven thirty; that gave him another seven hours before he was due at the office. And he had a lot to get through.He looked down at the paperwork that covered his desk, table and floor. All the information on Kiefer, photocopied this afternoon, so he could go over the information again. The facts. The speculation. Everything.This would have been one of the biggest catches of Sonny Crockett’s career. Rico wasn’t going to let it go because of something he had done. He would not let his partner down again.He had a plan. To bring Kiefer out into the open. And Sonny would get him.And then Rico would have redeemed himself.Very excited to hear everyone's comments! The ball is moving, and I promise a few shocking consequences of this one! Thank you for reading!
  • Like 1

Redeem ThyselfPart Three

Hope everyone is still enjoying!! Thank you for the comments so far, they make me grin like a wild thing!!**Sonny Crockett walked into the office feeling brighter than he had the day before. He had gotten nearly seven hours sleep, had had an exhilarating shower before work and a greasy treat for breakfast, thus stacking up for a good day. “Good morning, class.†He announced as he crossed to his deck, responding to any comments with a grin. He was ready to take on the world today.Tubbs wasn’t in yet. That surprised Crockett, because his partner was one of those early birds who liked to be on time. And he was certainly due. He sat down in his chair, contemplating Rico’s empty seat. He had been harsh to Rico yesterday, but was ready to make amends and find a way to nail Kiefer.He picked up the papers on his desk, shuffling them, raising his head when Gina swept into the office with a face like thunder. “Who used all the paper in the photocopier? Is it difficult to replace it? I even had to put a piece of paperwork about Kiefer away. I swear that guys gets everywhere!†She walked to her desk and sat down, waiting for Trudy to arrive so they could go out on the street.“Hey, Gina? Where’s Rico?â€â€œHe phoned in sick, ‘bout an hour ago. Lieutenant gave him the day off-he thinks it was some dodgy takeaway from last night.†Gina answered, preoccupied with her bag.Sonny nodded, frowning. It wasn’t like his partner to be ill. In fact, Sonny did not think he had had a day off in three years. He had caught a terrible cold (or something) four months back, and had been sneezing and coughing for two weeks. But he had insisted on working, even though he was miserable as sin and hardly able to talk. Something was up.He picked up the phone and dialed the number he knew so well. He listened to it ring, and then...â€â€œThis is Cooper. Leave a message.â€â€œHey, Rico...heard you’re not well so...I hope you get better. Assume you’re sleeping right now. Maybe I could swing by later and we could have some drinks or something? Er...yeah. See ya later, pal.†
As if that wasn’t the most awkward conversation he had ever had in his life! He was never awkward with his partner! He put the receiver down and started reading his notes, still preoccupied.***Ricardo Tubbs opened his eyes and it took a moment for him to remember where he was, and why he was slumped over a table. The reports had made a worthy pillow, and he didn’t even remember falling asleep. He raised his head and rubbed it across his forehead. He had woken to call in sick-not that he was actually sick, despite being exhausted-but no one would question him. And then he had clearly fallen asleep over his work. He had spent the night plotting. Planning, he preferred. And he finally had a way that he could draw Kiefer out. He just had to build the rest of the pieces so that the house of cards fell the right way.He knew what he was risking with the plan he had created. He knew what it would mean. But he owed it to Sonny, the rest of the department, and to himself. He didn’t like letting people down.He listened to the answer phone message. Unfortunately, he knew Sonny too well. He had known that his friend would come to visit, to check on him. It was part of their routine. He paused for a moment, hearing the concern in his partner’s voice. It was necessary for Sonny to get his man!***Sonny exited the elevator and walked along the hallway to the door on the end. He raised his hand to knock, tapping his knuckles against the wood three times, a knock that was customary to them. It was a knock that only they knew, so that it could be used in times of crisis or identification. He waited in the hallway.After two minutes, he knocked again. “Rico?†He called, concerned when his partner had not opened the door instantly. “Are you all right?â€The door pulled back and Rico was stood there, “Hey, man.â€â€œHow are you?†Sonny asked, alarmed when Rico’s face went blank for a moment. “The Chinese?â€â€œOh.†Rico seemed to snap back to attention, “Yes. I’m feeling better. I’ll be back tomorrow.â€Sonny cocked his head to one side, “Partner, did you get any sleep last night?â€â€œNot much. I plan to have an early night tonight though.†Awkward silence for a moment. Sonny shifted position, “You want me to stick around?â€â€œNo, thanks, I’m a little busy.†Rico answered. His voice wasn’t neutral...but it wasn’t warm either. Sonny nodded slowly, “Are you sure you’re okay?â€â€œOf course, man. I’m fine.†Rico replied.Sonny swallowed, “Are we okay? You know...â€Rico half-smiled, “Of course we’re okay. Why wouldn’t we be okay?â€â€œNormally you’d have invited me in by now, pal!†Sonny couldn’t fight the feeling in his chest that something was not right. “I’m just busy, Sonny. I’ll see you tomorrow.†That was clearly a dismissal.“Okay...good night, man.†“‘Night.†Rico closed the door, and left Sonny stood there, still clutching his six pack.There was something very wrong here.****Any comments will be loved and appreciated!!!
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
Talking with Christine always rekindles the muse! This is all planned out now on my notepad *waves notepad* so I’ll be able to move much quicker on it! It might become part of my fanzine, assuming that idea gets off the ground...I have too many ideas...anyway...ENJOY!Chapter Four:Rico’s desk was still empty the next day. Sonny, already burdened with a headache thanks to his consumption of half the six-pack the night before, after he had gotten back to the St Vitus, glanced at the desk and frowned. He poured himself a cup of thick coffee and sat back in his chair, contemplating the seat opposite him.Was it that Rico didn’t want to see him? Last night, he had been cold-perhaps not deliberately...but if Sonny turned up, even unannounced, Rico normally put whatever he was doing to one side and welcomed his partner in. Unless he was on a date, and Sonny knew that Rico was not seeing anyone at the moment. Even then, if it was serious enough, Rico had been known to ask the lady to leave and talk to his partner. So there was definitely something up here. Sonny shifted position with a disgruntled groan.Larry glanced at him, “What’s up, Crockett?†He asked, tilting his head to one side.“Tubbs isn’t here.†Sonny said as an explanation, gesturing to Rico’s seat.“He’s downtown.†Lieutenant Castillo announced from the office door. “He was here, earlier. He has gone downtown to see someone about some evidence in his case.â€Sonny had turned to look at the Lieutenant, “Is he due back today? We were supposed to be looking at the bookies bust.â€Castillo simply turned and walked away, not dignifying Sonny with a response. Sonny watched him, and then picked up his folder. He exhaled through his teeth, wondering if it was worth going downtown himself to find out what was happening.***Martin Castillo closed his office door and walked behind his desk. But he did not sit down. Instead, he stood and watched through the shuttered blinds, eyes focused on the back of Sonny Crockett’s head. From this angle, the younger detective would not know that he was being watched. Lieutenant Castillo had a precise method of doing things. It involved very little deceit, a mundane and structured approach, and very little emotion. That was why he did not approve of Ricardo Tubbs’ plan. At all.The detective had knocked on his door at six this morning, only ten minutes after Castillo had arrived, but before most of the OCB team had risen from sleep. His clothes had been untidy, and his eyes shadowed. He had asked to speak to the Lieutenant; Castillo had accepted, and invited him in.Tubbs was not as easy to read as Crockett, Castillo had mused. It was clear that something was on his mind, and Castillo could use logic to determine that the probably cause of his uncomfortableness was the recent fall out of him and Crockett over the Kiefer case. What had came next, after an uneasy silence, surprised him.“I want Kiefer.†Tubbs said. “And I am going to get him.â€Castillo paused, looked at him closely, “How?â€â€œMy ways are my own. I need one thing.†Tubbs answered, and it was then that the silent alarm bells had rung in Castillo’s brain. But he asked the question anyway, “What?â€â€œI need Sonny out of this.†Tubbs replied, folding his arms and meeting the Lieutenant’s stare. “He cannot be involved.â€Castillo considered this. “Crockett is your partner. He deserves to be aware of what is happening.†He was not one for secrets within a working environment. He was allowed secrets, but the detectives were not. Not when it concerned a case such as Kiefer.“We cannot get Kiefer. We know that. Not at the moment. But I can get him.†Castillo could see the determination in those eyes, even in the voice. “I need until tonight. It will not take me long. I know how it will play out, I have accounted for everything.†Tubbs paused, and Castillo saw a flash of emotion. “He lost Kiefer because of me. I owe it to him.â€Castillo turned back to his desk, “You have until midnight.â€â€œThank you, Lieutenant.†Tubbs was relieved at the trust being placed in him. He left the office.Castillo didn’t generally second guess himself. He had known that he would not have been able to change Tubbs’ mind. He had come seeking permission-but it was for show. He was on a mission, and it generally helped to have his Lieutenant on side. Castillo was aware that he risked making things more dangerous if he did not play along with his officer. But he could not shake that feeling. The gut instinct. That he should have challenged Tubbs, found out exactly what he was planning.Although Castillo could guess. And as he continued to stare at Crockett, he wondered if Sonny would ever see his partner again.***Even I am worried about Rico now...and I'm the author! Has anyone guessed what he's about to do? Thank you for reading and...I look forward to any comments that you might have!Lil' Gina :happy:
  • Like 1

It´s a very exciting story that makes me curious. Of course, I ask myself whether the things that are, possibly, going to happen in this story later have something to do with the questions you´d asked me earlier this evening.I can´t wait to reading more!

Maybe...maybe indeed.Or maybe I'm just heightening the suspense? I suppose you'll just have to wait to find out! Even I haven't fully decided just yet! :D

Redeem ThyselfChapter FiveWriting to forget about what is happening at the hospital. Hoping that Rico and Sonny will relax me! Thank you to everyone who read Chapter Four, I’m glad that it’s exciting, we are nearing the climatic finale. ***Sonny Crockett was busy that afternoon; the Lieutenant had put a case on his desk that required all of his attention. He almost forgot about the fact his partner had still not returned from downtown. The day hurried by, as he went through the paperwork and prepared strategies. Although he preferred to be out on the street, sometimes a day like this, where he was safe behind his desk was welcome. Especially as he was still having nightmares about the gun at the back of his head. He looked up when Gina and Trudy started to prepare for their surveillance. They were going to keep an eye on Kiefer that night, hoping that there might be some movement. If not, the new undercover plant from a different department would get involved, and then the case would become all the more dangerous. Sonny had managed to put the case to the back of his mind; it was doing him no good to continually dwell on what had happened.“I hope we get something tonight.†Gina was saying softly to her partner. Sonny stood and crossed to their desk, “Make sure you don’t get into any trouble. This guy is trouble.â€Gina smiled at him gently, “We’ll be fine.â€â€œYou sure you don’t want me to come?†Sonny continued.“No, we’re gonna be far enough away.†Gina knew about Sonny’s protective streak and appreciated it. She looked over his shoulder, “Where’s Tubbs?â€Sonny glanced behind him, “Uh.†He paused. “He must still be downtown.†He frowned, “That’s an awful long time to be downtown.†He moved away, perching on his desk, deep in thought.Gina and Trudy left, and Sonny continued to ponder. He stood and knocked on Castillo’s door, “Lieutenant. Tubbs still isn’t back.†He didn’t need to go any further with the sentence; Castillo would know why Sonny was worried.“There could be complications.â€â€œLike hell there are complications, Marty! Something funny is going on here! What if Kiefer spotted him?â€Castillo continued to stare at his detective, who finally turned away. “Stan.†He stopped by his friend, “What you doing tonight?â€Stan was about to explain his plans about watching the television-they were repeating a show about Elvis that he wanted to see-but the words died on his lips when he saw the determination and anxiety on Sonny’s face. And he changed his story completely, “Nothing. Why?â€â€œWe’re going to go visit Rico.â€***Gina and Trudy had talked about a guy they had seen at a club two days before for a short while before lapsing into silence. The sky was starting to darken around them, as they were hidden in the trees outside the mansion that Kiefer called home. The car was comfortable enough.“Have you spoken to Rico recently?†Gina asked suddenly.“Yeah, day before yesterday. He was cut up about the whole Kiefer thing. We discussed paperwork; he was putting the Kiefer files away.†Trudy replied.“Oh, was it him that left some of it in the photocopier then? I had to find a load of new paper for it!†“Why would he be photocopying the Kiefer folder? The case had been moved from him.†Trudy frowned, “I thought he was just putting it back in the filing cabinet.â€Gina shrugged, “Maybe it wasn’t him? Sonny’s worried about him.â€â€œAs long as they make up soon. Rico hates it when they aren’t speaking.†They exchanged a glance and a smile; they both cared greatly for their colleagues, but both of them had their preferences. Gina was still hopelessly devoted to Crockett, and Trudy had had something that resembled a “thing†going on with Tubbs since he had entered the Vice team.They both sobered when they heard an engine revving in the mansion. They leaned forward, but it was unmistakable. “Kiefer’s on the move.†Gina murmured.“Phone it in to the Lieutenant. We’ll tail him.â€***“Rico?†Sonny hammered on the door, but to no avail. “Rico! It’s Sonny and Stan! Would you open the door?â€They waited two minutes, but there was no response. Stan could see Sonny getting more and more frantic. He tuned to face his colleague, “What now?â€â€œThere’s something wrong here, Stan. I can feel it. Break the door down.†“He could be sleeping...â€â€œNo. No, there is something not right. Hurry up!†Sonny was already reaching for his gun.Stan positioned himself a few meters from the door, and then charged at the wood. The door rattled slightly, but would not open any more than that and Stan moved away, rubbing his shoulder. “I’ll shoot the lock.â€They both stood either side of the door, Sonny looking away so as to not get splinters in his eyes. Stan pulled the trigger, and the lock exploded. The door swung open, and they both jumped into the room, guns ready.“Freeze, Miami Vice!â€The room was dark. Sonny reached for the lights and flicked them on, not knowing what to expect. He kept having visions of finding his partner dead. The living room was empty. Sonny crossed to the bedroom and the adjoining bathroom, but there was no sign of his partner.“He’s not here...†Sonny murmured. “Where the hell is he?â€Stan was looking at something else, “But he’s been busy.â€Sonny crossed to him, “What?â€They both looked down at the paperwork covering Rico’s desk. “This is all the information about the Kiefer case.†Sonny mused, “Why has Rico got it?â€The phone rang, penetrating the silence. Sonny glared at it, but picked up the receiver.“Burnett.â€â€œSonny, it’s Gina. Kiefer is on the move. He’s got an armed escort with him, we counted six men and machine guns. Castillo told us to contact you here.â€The receiver dropped from Sonny’s numb hands as he looked back down at the desk. Maps. Files. Motives. Information. The truth seized his heart and he paled visibly. Stan stared at him, “What?â€â€œIt’s a trap.†Sonny murmured. “And Rico is the bait.â€***

• Like 1

Very exciting!:eek: Breath taking!!:eek: Don´t let me wait too long for the next chapter! I can´t wait to read how things go on!

There shall be an update tomorrow. I'm writing it...right...now....it's definitely cheered me up! (Oh, and Christine is to blame too!) :D

Love itWhen I first started reading this it hooked me in,I could imagine all of this going on scene by scene.Your a great writer,this is so :cool:.I am looking forward to reading more.

• Like 1

Redeem ThyselfI really enjoy writing and scripting this story! Thank you so much for all the comments, they definitely make it worth writing even more! My beloved MacBook now knows all the characters in Miami Vice; it is not impressed!Chapter Six***“How do you mean, bait?†Stan demanded, seeing the expression on Sonny’s face and feeling some sort of dread hit his stomach.“He’s set himself up.†Sonny stabbed his finger violently at the paperwork, “He’s set himself up so Kiefer will be able to get him. He expects us to follow.â€â€œKiefer knows that he is a cop.†Stan murmured, starting to realize just how much danger Tubbs had put himself in.“We have to get to him.†Sonny snatched the phone off Stan and redialed the number, getting through to Gina, “Where are you?â€â€œWe’re following him up fifth street. Sonny, what’s going on?â€â€œHe’s going after Rico-Gina, you have to stop...†He could hear Gina talking to Trudy on the other side of the phone.“Where the hell did he go?†Trudy was saying. “Sonny.†Gina’s voice was anxious. “We lost him. He turned down one of the side streets and must have doubled back...â€Fear, icy cold, clutched Sonny’s throat. “Find him, Gina. Gina, he’s going after my partner...â€â€œWe’ll get him, Sonny.†Sonny hung up, looked down at the paperwork, “Where would he go?â€Stan was rifling through the paper, looking for a map, anything.Sonny moved the top piece and uncovered a note, written in Rico’s neat handwriting.I’m sorry I let you down, partner.He swallowed the lump that had suddenly filled his throat. And that was when he saw it.Scrap yard off eighth street. 10:30 p.m.“Let’s go, Stan!â€***Ricardo Tubbs stopped the car and shut down the engine. He sat back in his seat for a moment, admiring the view of the crumbling scrap yard. He took a breath in through his mouth and shifted position. He had made sure he was slightly early so he would take a moment to think. He was taking a risk. He knew that. It was almost uncharacteristic of him. But he had made his decision back in the men’s room at the OCB. When his partner and best friend had turned and looked him in the eyes. It had not been Sonny’s words. It had been the expression of disappointment. Partners made a silent yet solemn promise to each other; that they would never let the other down. That was the vow. And Rico had broken it. He had planned everything carefully, and he knew what would happen now. He had considered every eventuality. He knew that Sonny would be rushing to his apartment right now; perhaps he was even there already, and had discovered what Rico had decided to do.Maybe he would be angry. Or maybe he would realize that Rico had only done what was necessary.He reached into his jacket and pulled out his assault rifle, checking the cartridge was correctly loaded and removing the safety catch. It helped to be prepared. He picked the briefcase up from the seat next to him, glancing to check that it was still locked. He got out of the car, straightened his jacket, and closed the door behind him.He walked into the scrap yard, glancing up at the dark sky and the sprinkling of stars. It was a beautiful night. If it was going to be his last, then he was pleased that it was so beautiful.The voice came from behind. “Put your briefcase and your gun on the floor and then put your hands on your head.â€He swallowed and obeyed the orders.“Step to your left, and then turn around slowly.â€He said a silent prayer, stepped away from his weapon and his case, and then turned.“Good evening, Detective.†Kiefer smirked at him.Rico faced the machine guns pointed at him. He smiled, just slightly. “Good evening.â€***
  • Like 1

Oh my Godness!:eek: How could you stop writing at this point? Please, don´t let me wait too long for the next chapter! I urgently need to find out how things will go on for Rico!

Christine is right, how could you stop at this point?Pls. go on! I also want to know whether Sonny will arrive just in time to save Rico.

It's a cliff hanger!!! As an author, I am completely entitled to leave my beloved readers hanging for one more day.Or maybe two.Depends I suppose... *winks*I'm off to perfect the next chapter! :D Thank you for reading! :):happy:

• Haha 1

It's a cliff hanger!!! As an author' date=' I am completely entitled to leave my beloved readers hanging for one more day.Or maybe two.Depends I suppose... *winks*[/quote']For one day yes, but not for two. You can't do this to your beloved readers!:D;)

Redeem ThyselfSorry for not updating yesterday; I intended to, but I wasn’t feeling well and fell asleep with my computer still on! My fanzine arrived today from the States; it’s really surreal to be reading fanfiction in a magazine format...makes me wish I could do the same with my stories.Enjoy! ***Chapter Seven:Sonny and Stan crept across the scrap heap, taking care not to slip or make any more noise than was absolutely necessary. Stan could see Sonny was furious and anxious; he had been silent in the car joinery, vicious in his driving, eyes focused on the road, taking the corners at high speed and never letting up on the throttle. Stan had coordinated with Castillo, giving him the location of the scrapyard, and the Lieutenant said he would send back up immediately.But Sonny was not willing to wait. He was not going to leave his partner with Kiefer for one more second. So they had left the car and headed toward the centre of the yard, guns ready.Sonny suddenly crouched down, gesturing for Stan to do the same. He edged toward the remains of a car and peered through the shattered window, taking a deep breath in as he did so, looking for his partner. It took him a moment to spot Rico, who was stood with his hands cuffed in front of him--Sonny nearly winced at the indignity--two machine guns pointed at his head, one either side. Kiefer was stood nearby, hands on his hips. Tubbs’ attention was solely on him, and he looked relaxed. The other four men Gina had mentioned were guarding the surrounding area. Sonny ducked out of sight, turned away and sighed, feeling Stan press in beside him. “Outnumbered, outgunned and outmatched. With Tubbs in the middle.”“What do you want to do?” Stan replied.“We have to wait for back up--” Sonny swallowed, as if it were the one thing he did not want to admit to. “They’ll kill him if we try to go in now.” He looked back to his partner, “Damn it, Rico.” He murmured, “Why this way?” He couldn’t tear his eyes from Rico, remembering his harsh words concerning his partner and Kiefer. This was his punishment. “I’m coming, buddy. Hang in there.”There were footsteps beside them-Stan greeted Larry, almost relieved. “We’re here-Castillo is the other side of the scrapyard. He can see Tubbs. Sonny, radio.”Sonny took the radio, “Crockett.”“Call it.” Castillo’s reply was blunt.“I-I can’t.” Sonny stuttered. “I don’t know...”He watched as Kiefer drew back his fist and pounded it straight into Rico’s stomach. His friend recoiled violently-it clearly hurt-and when Kiefer said something else, Rico turned his head away.“Tubbs knows you are here. Call it, Crockett.” Castillo prompted.Crockett glanced at Stan, who shrugged. “I don’t know.”“Sonny.” Castillo was using Crockett’s first name to get through to him, “Decision. Now.”Sonny looked back to Rico again. If Rico knew that he was here, then he would have come prepared...Kiefer had drawn a pistol and was pointed it at his partner. He had a matter of moments.His eyes fell on the briefcase a few meters behind Rico. The realization hit him hard. “Everyone, on my count.” He put his finger on the trigger of his gun, watching Rico stiffen as Kiefer prepared to shoot him. He had to have made the right choice. He took in a deep breath and then leapt up from his hiding place, “Rico!”The guards holding Rico jumped-but his partner did not. He simply watched Sonny as he fired his gun-not at Kiefer, not at the men holding Tubbs prisoner, but at the innocuous case on the ground.The case exploded into fire and smoke, and in the confusion, Sonny screamed for his colleagues to move. They charged in, and Sonny was at the forefront. The smoke began to clear, and he could finally take in the scene. All around him, guns were pointed at the bad guys, sniper rifles and machine guns ready to catch everyone that moved. One of the bodyguards was already collapsed on the floor, skin crusted and burnt. He had been standing too close to the briefcase. Fleetingly, Sonny saw Rico collapsed in the dirt, very still. He prayed that he had simply been knocked unconscious. But he had something more important to focus on right now. He pointed pointed his gun at Kiefer, caught up in the moment and the adrenaline, “You’re under arrest.”Kiefer pulled out his gun too and pointed it at Crockett, “I don’t think so.”Sonny did not flinch. “Blink, and you’re mine.”Kiefer stared at Sonny, as if judging him and how serious he really was. Sonny could hear guns cocking around him, “No. We want him alive. You’ll pay for everything you have done, Kiefer.”Kiefer laughed, “Allow me to add one more sin to my rap sheet, Detective. The murder of a police officer.”“I will fire first.” Sonny warned, “Do not try it.”Kiefer narrowed his eyes, and then began to lower his pistol. But when Sonny took a step forward, Kiefer pulled the trigger. Sonny did not wince-he pulled his trigger without blinking. The bullet buried itself into Kiefer’s forehead. Sonny swallowed, letting out the breath that he had been holding. Why had Kiefer deliberately missed...Sonny span on the spot when he heard someone, somewhere call his name. Kiefer had not been aiming for him. “Rico!” He crossed to his partner, whose eyes were closed. There was blood all over his shirt, “Rico!”Sonny pulled his friend into his arms, trying to shake him back to consciousness, “Buddy, hang on.” He called for an ambulance, receiving a response that it was minutes away. Did Rico have minutes? Sonny couldn’t tell.“Don’t you dare die on me here, partner!” He couldn’t bring himself to look at the blood, couldn’t tear his eyes from Rico’s still face, “Buddy, come on, wake up.” This was not happening.He clenched Rico’s hand in his for the briefest of moments, “Rico!”But then there was slight pressure on his hand. He looked down to see Tubbs’ fingers clench against his. And then the green eyes flickered open.***I would suggest that there are about three more chapters to go...hope this cliff hanger is not so cruel this time! Thank you for reading, one and all :happy:
  • Like 1