Sign in to follow this  
Ferrariman

Episode #56 "Down For The Count" Part 1

ViceFanMan

Okay...now for some of my least favorite episodes of Season 3 (this and Pt. 2). These two, and "Everybody's in Showbiz" are probably my least favorite ones of the season. "Showbiz" because of its bizarre, and no-point plot. :rolleyes: "Down For the Count" Pts. 1&2 because of the sad and depressing end of Zito. :cry:I know that John Diehl was wanting out, as his and Talbott's characters were really going nowhere. He was tired of playing one of two "goofs" and wanted a more serious part. I agree, that over time his and Switek's characters should have "grown" and changed somewhat. They should have had a couple more episodes that focused on them...and not like "Made For Each Other"--which in my opinion was stupid and ridiculous! :sick:But, I wish they had not decided to kill off the character of Lawrence "Larry" Zito...why do writers/producers think they have to kill characters off every "dang" time an actor wants to leave a show? :confused: What's wrong with having them leave to go do something else...leaving the chance that someday they might make a return appearance? They did it with Farrah Fawcett and her 'Jill Munroe' character on "Charlie's Angels"...why does Zito have to die?I hate sad and depressing things! :thumbsdown: If I want that I'll watch the freakin' news. ;) Or go to work...as I'm a social worker and work with troubled kids. So, the death of Zito is probably the main reason I really don't like this two-parter. :eek:The other reason I don't like these episodes is that I really don't care for boxing stuff. :rolleyes: It seemed like every cop/detective/crime show from the 70's-90's had to do a "prison" episode...and a "boxing" episode! Really?? They are so predictable and way over-done! :evil:However, the acting in this 2-parter is superb...as is some of the music and/or Jan Hammer scores included. :clap: John Diehl and Michael Talbott especially "shown" in this :glossy: , with their acting, and because of these few aspects I did go ahead and give this and Pt. 2 a 6.

vatdim

This two-part episode consisting of episode #56 and #57 is another great masterpiece and seems to confirm what I have said on previous occasions, namely that the MV double episodes are almost on par with many full-feature films. In the case of Down For The Count, this is achieved by the introduction of a few very notable villains whose characters get fleshed out to a remarkable extent by the end of this story. This episode also includes the departure of a veteran protagonist from the show and that transition is carried out very smoothly and sensibly. The scene setup speaks of remarkable quality, with a number of scenes being very emotional, yet still retaining a lot of action. The styling is once again simply amazing, as this double episode probably has to offer the greatest variety of fashion used in S3. The soundtrack ties impressively well with the story, helping to convey the strong feelings ingrained within it. Overall, this two-part story is an instant classic and I rate it 10/10.

• Like 1

DeepCover333

I just watched both episodes again last night, and as many have said this is a strong installment in the series. I view both parts one and two as a whole body of work, so I'll just share my thoughts on the entire story here.

Great scenery, music and character development abound, and knowing the final outcome from repeated viewings really allows one to let these episodes "breathe" a bit and take in the full vibe. I think the boxing motif is a great choice here, showing yet anther avenue of corruption and the team's approach to subdue it all. I really like the "satellite sports network" pitch that Sonny and Rico were selling, I know ESPN started in 1979 in some form or another, but growing up without cable TV I was probably unaware of it in any reality until the 90's. DJ does such grand animated acting here, especially at Guzman's place while pitching the deal. It is fun to see Tex Cobb in his role, although he had one of those instant personas where I think we all know his character will meet a tragic end. Don King is hilarious in his part here, kitchen prepping and laying words of wise information. I remember him being an icon in the boxing world, and sporting that trademark hair. Speaking of boxing, wasn't one of the Rocky films big in the public pop culture world around this time? I'll have to look that up, but again great plot setting for the times.

The ending of part one, of course is very sad. I'm torn on how to express my stance, I would have liked to see Stan react a bit more aggressively when discovering Larry, perhaps some first responder action, CPR, and some panicked desperation. However, the way it is portrayed here makes it even more powerful. He just knew...it was too late. I always hated to see Larry leave Miami Vice, in many ways his departure changed the show for me.

Castillo delivers a monumental line in the conference room: "I know you all hurt inside, but do your grieving in private, the street has no sympathy."   Powerful Truth.

The visit to Larry's apartment was perhaps more sad and moving to me than the death scene. His snow globe collection, the goldfish he had received long ago when his old place had burned down, all remnants and heartfelt items of a man who had just days earlier been no doubt sitting on the couch decompressing, unwinding after a long shift on the vice team. 

Part two ushers in a fantastic villain vs. villain element involving Guzman and Gilluini which I find fascinating. I could have really enjoyed an entire additional episode chronicling their interaction and plotting. The shopping mall shoot out is epic. As a side note, just as Sonny and Rico drive up and enter the front doors, I think we see PMT's stunt double's face, not PMT, although it is a split second shot and I could be wrong. Nice classic 80's gun battle and climax with Stan getting revenge. The champagne toast on the boat was a fitting night time tribute to Larry. 10/10 

"Larry Zito was my partner. But to me, he was more like my brother.."

(adding a quick edit here to mention the magnificent car chase scene. Absolutely excellent, with Billy Idol's "To Be A Lover".)

Edited by DeepCover333
  • Like 2

CharlieGlide

I watched these two epiodes over the last two nights, as well. Really a stellar joint episode.  I often avoid watching it because I just get so bummed when Larry dies.  It's a definite turning point in the series.  Alot of the more humourous/quirky bits are lost from this point on and the show takes a darker turn, bit by bit, peaking in its darkness especially in the fourth season. 

Mind you, it's not really a bad turn for Vice.  I used to dismiss the fourth and fifth seasons, but I started appreciating them quite a bit more in the last few years.  I really like how Tubbs develops more. 

Back to Down for the Count, I really like how it's shot and edited.  It moves at such a good clip, and Crockett is at his smart ass "Burnett" best.  THere are loads of quotable lines ranging from Cobb to Don King to Pepe Serna.

I literally laughed out loud last night when the mobster played by Joe Dallesandro talks on the phone about Guzman:  "Can you beieve the stones on this burrito?"  Hilarious!  No way you could say that on television these days.  There'd be a rally, a march, a sit-in, etc.  In no particular order.

• Like 2

Remington

When I first went through the series, this was one of my least favorites. How opinions change. It's really one of the best of S3. Unlike The Good Collar, the depressing feel of this two parter doesn't bring it down.

John Diehl gives probably his best performance. I actually got misty eyes when Switek found him dead and during the funeral scene. The guy shouldn't have been so damn likeable.

I like the character of Guzman. True slimeball. When There's Trust U Don't Need A Contract is one of my favorite lines. Also the meetings between him and Crockett and Tubbs crack me up.

Moon was cool. Reminded me of some of my dads friends lol.

I'm not into boxing so I slightly prefer part 2.

Don King is a bastard but he's entertaining.

I've noticed that the photography really looks hazy/soft from here for a while. That's a shame.

9/10