New SCRAPBOOK Posting In the COOPER&BURNETT SCRAPBOOK SECTION!!!

COOPER&BURNETT

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• COOPER&BURNETT

• Matt5

• DJAngel

• CharlieGlide

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I decided, with his permission, that I'm going to start a Question and Answer thread for a crew member who edited all five seasons of MIAMI VICE!When I start the thread, I'll tell you a little about him, and what he did for MIAMI VICE.I want you to start thinking of questions to ask a MIAMI VICE editor. Try to think up something interesting, and something he could actually answer. I'll send him all questions that are relevant to a man who edited the series. He's not an actor, he was not on the set. He worked for Universal in California.Be creative, and come up with a few questions to ask. Perhaps there's something you've always wanted to know. Now's your chance!Help me make us look good!(Please don't post questions here. Think of some questions, and perhaps write them down, as I'm going to start this thread soon...plus, more suprises are in store soon.) -COOP

I'm ALL over this! Radical!Ask him how he and the other editors were able to turn around an episode so fast with the editing being done at Universal and the show being filmed in Miami. The obvious answer is they had film sent overnight to LA (or Burbank airport) by courier after the day's shoot.OR, did they schedule an extra week in the production/editing sched. to allow for the distance in shooting on another coast?It's alot easier today with ISDN lines (that's what we did on a show I worked on which was shot in Vancouver, edited in Burbank), and we could do video conferencing with the production office in Vancouver. That was an option when Vice was in production.Also, what was the procedure to put the editor's cut together then wait for the director to come in? Alot of times a director wants to throw in his two cents (at the very least) before an episode has completed shooting). Would the director fly to Universal immediately after an episode wrapped so he could get in the editing room?And finally, what did they do about 'pick-up' shots? Or ADR? Were either of these done in LA? Or was it all Miami and they had to overnight this to Universal too? I've always been curious as to whether there was a little bit of Vice that had to be done at Universal.

I'm ALL over this! Radical!Ask him how he and the other editors were able to turn around an episode so fast with the editing being done at Universal and the show being filmed in Miami. The obvious answer is they had film sent overnight to LA (or Burbank airport) by courier after the day's shoot.OR' date=' did they schedule an extra week in the production/editing sched. to allow for the distance in shooting on another coast?It's alot easier today with ISDN lines (that's what we did on a show I worked on which was shot in Vancouver, edited in Burbank), and we could do video conferencing with the production office in Vancouver. That was an option when Vice was in production.Also, what was the procedure to put the editor's cut together then wait for the director to come in? Alot of times a director wants to throw in his two cents (at the very least) before an episode has completed shooting). Would the director fly to Universal immediately after an episode wrapped so he could get in the editing room?And finally, what did they do about 'pick-up' shots? Or ADR? Were either of these done in LA? Or was it all Miami and they had to overnight this to Universal too? I've always been curious as to whether there was a little bit of Vice that had to be done at Universal.[/quote']AWESOME! I can see your into it pal! Just think up questions that he could answer, and once I post the thread, post your questions to him there.I'm so glad you up for this!

WOOOPS!I meant to write 'NOT an option' in this sentance from my previous post:"...we could do video conferencing with the production office in Vancouver. That was an option when Vice was in production."

WOOOPS!I meant to write 'NOT an option' in this sentance from my previous post:"...we could do video conferencing with the production office in Vancouver. That was an option when Vice was in production."

As soon as he lets me know he's got time to answer the questions, I'll create the thread, then, ask away! :thumbsup:

Was so excited at the prospect that I jumped the gun and started asking questions. Just now figured out you're starting a whole new thread when the timing is right. I'm sure you understand my enthusiasm.

(Please don't post questions here. Think of some questions' date=' and perhaps write them down, as I'm going to start this thread soon...plus, more suprises are in store soon.) -COOP[/quote']
Was so excited at the prospect that I jumped the gun and started asking questions. Just now figured out you're starting a whole new thread when the timing is right. I'm sure you understand my enthusiasm.
I'm just happy that you are thinking of questions you'd want to ask the guy who for five seasons, was one of the editors of MIAMI VICE! Come up with something interesting, and something he might be able to answer (No, he doesn't know who "manny" was, already asked). If too many from our members are not relevant, or not great questions, I may have to weed them out, as he's a busy man, and I don't want to overstate our welcome by flooding him with questions.

Oops! :eek:Turns out I was mistaken. "MIKE" was NOT an editor on the show, but a member of the Miami Vice Post Production crew. He did work with the editors. He started as a film stock footage librarian. He some editing, appeared in a montage he helped shoot and also did some source music He is one of the few long lasting members of the crew from start to finish, as he worked for them all Five Seasons.Questions (If, and when I start a thread for this) should be questions not for an editor per se, but for a member of the post production crew, and his duties.Try to come up with something relevant to ask!

C&B: Sounds like Mike may have started out on Vice as a post-production assistant or coordinator then moved up from there. Either way, he'd have some great stories I bet. I would imagine he over heard some pretty interesting conversations about the directors and even some of the stars/guest stars, to say nothing of Michael Mann himself.The post production offices for a show are usually pretty small and it's a tight knit group. They're typically on their own island, away from the writers room and the production offices.I would love to hear whatever tidbits your pal Mike could offer!

C&B: Sounds like Mike may have started out on Vice as a post-production assistant or coordinator then moved up from there. Either way' date=' he'd have some great stories I bet. I would imagine he over heard some pretty interesting conversations about the directors and even some of the stars/guest stars, to say nothing of Michael Mann himself.The post production offices for a show are usually pretty small and it's a tight knit group. They're typically on their own island, away from the writers room and the production offices.I would love to hear whatever tidbits your pal Mike could offer![/quote']Yep! Obviously, he met many people on the job, including Anthony Yerkovich. I'll bet your right, and has some interesting stories to tell. This should be very cool!I hope you have great questions for him! :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Yep! Obviously' date=' he met many people on the job, including Anthony Yerkovich. I'll bet your right, and has some interesting stories to tell. This should be very cool!I hope you have great questions for him! :thumbsup::thumbsup:[/quote']so what exactly do we do then? I mean is another thread going to pop up here where we put our questions down or just post here? as I can think of a burning one already that's always bugged the living daylights out of me.

so what exactly do we do then? I mean is another thread going to pop up here where we put our questions down or just post here? as I can think of a burning one already that's always bugged the living daylights out of me.

I'm going to make a new thread, and you can put your question there.

I'm going to make a new thread' date=' and you can put your question there.[/quote']alright and while I think of it was he around at the beginning of vice and its start or did he come on later?

alright and while I think of it was he around at the beginning of vice and its start or did he come on later?

He was hired on for the Pilot Episode.You may all start posting questions to Michael Schulte on the link belowhttp://www.miamiviceonline.com/showthread.php?16790-Q-amp-a-with-miami-vice-post-production-crew-member!

• 1 month later...

I was hoping Mike would start posting on the Q&A thread by now, as I was going to post some more items that I have at the same time. Saddly, he still hasn't posted at this time. Things are starting to get a bit slow around here, so, when I can get some free time, I'm just going to go ahead, and start posting some more of my MIAMI VICE goodies for everyone to enjoy.-COOP

• 2 weeks later...

MIAMI VICE 1985 2ND SEASON GALA INVITATION CAN NOW BE SEEN IN THE SCAPBOOK SECTION!This is the first of a small series of vintage MIAMI VICE items I plan to share.Click below to view the GALA INVITATIONhttp://www.miamiviceonline.com/showthread.php?16901-Miami-vice-2nd-season-gala-invitation!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...