What MV song are you listening to now?

whitney88

• 1 month later...
On 8/6/2017 at 1:42 PM, Vincent Hanna said:

I have no idea who Tommy Shaw is but GIrls with guns and Dangerous game are catchy as hell.

Love finding obscure tracks like that which you wouldn't of ever heard unless you were a MV fan.

Tommy Shaw was singer and guitar player in the band Styx.

For some reason, Miami Vice featured many such artists who had broken off from famous bands:  Phil Collins, (Genesis) Peter Gabriel (Genesis), Robert Plant (Led Zeppelin), Pete Townshend (The Who), Glenn Frey (The Eagles), Lindsey Buckingham (Fleetwood Mac), John Lennon (The Beatles).

Edited by airtommy
  • Like 1

On 6/16/2017 at 4:50 PM, Dadrian said:

TThere is also some kind of manual envelope filtering happening. Probably just a wah pedal, or the Memorymoog had expression pedals you could hook up for stuff like that. Jan is a HUGE Hendrix fan, so probably the wah.

Edit: after further research of Jan Hammer interviews, I’ve recently learned this was for sure done with a pedal hooked to the Memorymoog that sweeps the synced second oscillator frequency.

As you were.  :)

• 2 months later...

I am listening to this song right at this moment. Chaka Khan's "Own the Night" from "Buddies" and the 1985 album. I have it on repeat! ;)

Edited by Retro80sfan
  • Like 1

So many great sounds on that record—many of them from the Yamaha DX7 keyboard heard on Jan Hammer’s MV score, and countless other 80s radio tunes from (and not from) MV. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Dadrian said:

So many great sounds on that record—many of them from the Yamaha DX7 keyboard heard on Jan Hammer’s MV score, and countless other 80s radio tunes from (and not from) MV. 

Yeah, I'd been thinking about looking for and getting that album off of Amazon somewhere a long while ago. Just never got around to it, I guess. I might start to get it now just to have it as a cool collectible. :thumbsup:

Edited by Retro80sfan
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Retro80sfan said:

I might start to get it now just to have it as a cool collectible. :thumbsup:

Now you’re talking! 

• Like 1

"Own the night" has always been my favorite track from the first LP.

Chaka Khan has many good albums. I particularly like the one from 1982, which has no title I believe.

19 hours ago, Kladdagh said:

I'm listening "The Last Unbroken Heart" from the second album right now =)

Such a great song I’m gonna watch “When Irish Eyes are Crying” tonight - that song was written and recorded especially for that episode and Miami Vice in the Summer of 1986:hippie::cheers:

On 4/14/2018 at 5:11 PM, Kladdagh said:

I'm listening "The Last Unbroken Heart" from the second album right now =)

Such a great song and exclusively produced for the Season 3 episode "When Irish.."

How good is this ?! Fitted so perfectly into 1985s "Tale of the Goat" the Miami Vice voodoo episode - great work from Fred Lyle.. this song was from 1983:hippie:

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Dadrian said:

One of my favorites. So funky! Excellent synth sounds. 

The detail of this song and lyrics for this scene with Legba is spot on. It just worked so well with the voodoo theme...

• Like 1

Barely audible for all of about two seconds in the show :D

Mostly listening as part of my ongoing efforts to create a really definitive list of the songs used.

3 hours ago, Leigh Burne said:

Barely audible for all of about two seconds in the show :D

Mostly listening as part of my ongoing efforts to create a really definitive list of the songs used.

I just watched this episode last night. Needed a good cry. :) 

• Like 1