What MV song are you listening to now?

whitney88

27 minutes ago, Retro80sfan said:

I'm listening to this right this second. :cool:

Fun fact:

The saxophonist in that song is Bill Bergman. He plays the flute and sax on the song you hear as Tubbs and Crockett question the rich lady on the yacht in “By Hooker By Crook”. (Lavado from his solo album). 

He plays an instrumental version of “You Belong to the City” that also appears on his solo album. The artwork even has the “Broadway” font from the Miami Vice logo and some heavy Art Deco imagery.    :) 

https://www.discogs.com/Bill-Bergman-Midnight-Sax/release/2847167

Edited by Dadrian
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, Dadrian said:

Fun fact:

The saxophonist in that song is Bill Bergman. He plays the flute and sax on the song you hear as Tubbs and Crockett question the rich lady on the yacht in “By Hooker By Crook”. (Lavado from his solo album). 

He plays an instrumental version of “You Belong to the City” that also appears on his solo album. The artwork even has the “Broadway” font from the Miami Vice logo.   :) 

Cool, thanks! :thumbsup:

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Dadrian said:

Fun fact:

He plays an instrumental version of “You Belong to the City” that also appears on his solo album. The artwork even has the “Broadway” font from the Miami Vice logo and some heavy Art Deco imagery.    :) 

That is so cool - thankyou for the information - I'm gonna seek the Sax solo track out,,

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Dadrian said:

Fun fact:

Ha, I knew he had that song in the show, but I did not know that was him on the Frey track! Nice!

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Matt5 said:

An alternate version(maybe demo) of the same 1984 song:hippie:

That is the original version, as heard in Miami Vice and Band of the Hand.

I somehow came across The Reds album in new condition. I will share rips of that on YouTube if I ever get around to it. It’s some really good retro rock. 

https://www.discogs.com/The-Reds-Shake-Appeal/release/6468765

Edited by Dadrian

2 minutes ago, Dadrian said:

I somehow came across The Reds album in new condition. I will share rips of that on YouTube if I ever get around to it. It’s some really good retro rock. 

I love that “Waiting for You” track from Season 1s Rites of Passage.  Valerie’s sister is hot too, so a nice episode all around :dance2::tasse_prost:

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Dadrian said:

I really want to see that film, sounds like there are a few Vice connections.

2 hours ago, Leigh Burne said:

I really want to see that film, sounds like there are a few Vice connections.

It’s almost like a MV side story—like Crockett and Tubbs are working on a case just a couple of blocks away during any given scene. Many MV locations, guest stars, and music artists. Also, the look and feel is total season 1 MV. It appears they used the same cameras and film. 

2 hours ago, Dadrian said:

It’s almost like a MV side story. 

As much of Vice side-story as Manhunter? That film even used the same font for its opening credits lol.

Seriously though - sounds good. I'll definitely try and get a hold of it. Sadly it doesn't look like its actually available here (UK) on either DVD or Blu-ray, but I'm sure I can find a region 2 import from somewhere.

• Like 1

Yes same “Fortuna” font in this movie, if I remember correctly.

Band of the hand is all set in the Miami area, so it is indeed a bit more MV than Manhunter, but all that aside, Manhunter is a far better movie, IMO.

Edited by Dadrian

On 19/04/2018 at 5:40 PM, Dadrian said:

Yes same “Fortuna” font in this movie, if I remember correctly.

Band of the hand is all set in the Miami area, so it is indeed a bit more MV than Manhunter, but all that aside, Manhunter is a far better movie, IMO.

I agree about Manhunter!

• 2 weeks later...

Currently listening to Glenn Frey's "Smuggler's Blues" - no video because the one on YouTube has had the audio removed.

I swear, if you didn't know better you'd think this was written especially for the show.

1 hour ago, Leigh Burne said:

Currently listening to Glenn Frey's "Smuggler's Blues" - no video because the one on YouTube has had the audio removed.

I swear, if you didn't know better you'd think this was written especially for the show.

Yes good point I don’t this one was but “You Belong to the City” was written for the show and a handful of other songs in Season 2 and early Season 3 like Chaka Khan’s “Own the Night” 

5 minutes ago, Matt5 said:

Yes good point I don’t this one was but “You Belong to the City” was written for the show and a handful of other songs in Season 2 and early Season 3 like Chaka Khan’s “Own the Night” 

There were actually something like twenty original songs recorded especially for the show over the course of its run. You're right in saying most of them came from season 2 but there were even a few in seasons 4 and 5.

Other than the ones found on the Vice soundtrack albums, most of them have never been released outside of the series. You could make a compilation just of those lol.

Just now, Leigh Burne said:

There were actually something like twenty original songs recorded especially for the show over the course of its run. You're right in saying most of them came from season 2 but there were even a few in seasons 4 and 5.

Other than the ones found on the Vice soundtrack albums, most of them have never been released outside of the series. You could make a compilation just of those lol.

Really I knew about the Season 2 and 3 songs being done exclusively for the show but never realised Season 4 and 5 had that feature. Which ones do you know ? 

I thought budget constraints in Season 4 and 5 was the main factor why there were no songs exclusively done for Miami Vice. There were a lot less original songs in Season 5 sometimes just one an episode due to budget being lower which was a result of falling ratings.

42 minutes ago, Matt5 said:

Really I knew about the Season 2 and 3 songs being done exclusively for the show but never realised Season 4 and 5 had that feature. Which ones do you know ?

Season 1:

• "Today's a Beginning" by Brian Ray - not 100% sure this was recorded specifically for the show, but it's never been released anywhere else.

Season 2:

• "You Belong to the City" by Glenn Frey
  • "Vice" by Grandmaster Melle Mel
  • "Love Is for Sale" by Cleavant Derricks
  • "Own the Night" by Chaka Khan
  • "Cold Wind Blows" by Karla Bonoff
  • "Life Is a Rat Race" by Phil Collins
  • "Rock by Day/Roll by Night" by Eugene Smith
  • "The Water's Too Deep" by Jim Gilstrap

Season 3:

• "The Last Unbroken Heart" by Patti LaBelle & Bill Champlin
  • "When the Rain Comes Down" by Andy Taylor
  • "Streetwise" by Don Johnson - again, not 100% on this, but the fact the song features a spoken word part by Olivia Brown (Trudy), who in turn performs her lines "live" in the episode of the same name, makes me think it probably was.
  • "Valhalla" by Chris Barr
  • Plus the covers of "Stormy Weather" and "Someone to Watch Over Me" Saundra Santiago sings in the final episode. There's a third song she sings in that one that I've never been able to identify. It's the Spanish (I think)-language number she performs in the opening scene where she plays Gina's mother.

Season 4:

• "Wrapped Up" by Anita Morris
  • "Together As One" by Anita Morris - a couple of evangelical numbers only heard in part in "Amen... Send Money", but they're technically originals.
  • Plus Sheena Easton's cover of "I Got You Babe".

Season 5:

• "Everything Inside of Me" by Tim Truman
  • "No Way Out" by Tim Truman & Don Johnson
  • "Help Me Through the Night" by Tim Truman & Phil Perry

Just so happens I went through all the songs used in the show recently to try and finish a really rock-solid list of what was used for the Miami Vice wiki, so that's where I'm getting these from :) I think it's now complete and accurate, save that Saudra Santiago song I can't identify.

Incidentally, of these songs, "You Belong to the City", "Vice", "Own the Night", "The Last Unbroken Heart" and "When the Rain Comes Down" are available on the show's official soundtrack albums, while "Rock by Day/Roll by Night" was released as a single and "Streetwise" was issued as a B-side to one of Don Johnson's singles (both back in the 80s, only on vinyl and long since out of print). The rest are unreleased outside of the show, as far as I know.

Edited by Leigh Burne

Season 1:

• "Today's a Beginning" by Brian Ray - not 100% sure this was recorded specifically for the show, but it's never been released anywhere else.

Indeed this was never released, but it was not originally intended to be on Miami Vice.

Season 3:

• "Streetwise" by Don Johnson - again, not 100% on this, but the fact the song features a spoken word part by Olivia Brown (Trudy), who in turn performs her lines "live" in the episode of the same name, makes me think it probably was.

This was actually recorded for DJ’s hour long music video called “Heartbeat”, which produced a hit single of the same name. 

https://www.lddb.com/laserdisc/22847/3991-80/Don-Johnson:-Heartbeat-(1987)

I think it’s uploaded on YouTube, as well. 

55 minutes ago, Dadrian said:

This was actually recorded for DJ’s hour long music video called “Heartbeat”, which produced a hit single of the same name. 

https://www.lddb.com/laserdisc/22847/3991-80/Don-Johnson:-Heartbeat-(1987)

I think it’s uploaded on YouTube, as well. 

Yeah, I just found it on YouTube, will give it a watch!

According to that site though (and also IMDb), the "Heartbeat" video came out in '87, whereas the "Streetwise" episode was broadcast in '86, so the song clearly pre-existed the video by quite some time. The track was also released as a B-side exclusive to the 12" version of Johnson's "Heartache Away" single, which likewise came out in '86, so my money's still on it being recorded for Vice.

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, Leigh Burne said:

Season 1:

Season 2:

• "You Belong to the City" by Glenn Frey
  • "Vice" by Grandmaster Melle Mel
  • "Love Is for Sale" by Cleavant Derricks
  • "Own the Night" by Chaka Khan
  • "Cold Wind Blows" by Karla Bonoff
  • "Life Is a Rat Race" by Phil Collins
  • "Rock by Day/Roll by Night" by Eugene Smith
  • "The Water's Too Deep" by Jim Gilstrap

Season 3:

• "The Last Unbroken Heart" by Patti LaBelle & Bill Champlin
  • "When the Rain Comes Down" by Andy Taylor
  • "Valhalla" by Chris Barr
  • Plus the covers of "Stormy Weather" and "Someone to Watch Over Me" Saundra Santiago sings in the final episode. There's a third song she sings in that one that I've never been able to identify. It's the Spanish (I think)-language number she performs in the opening scene where she plays Gina's mother.

Season 4:

• "Wrapped Up" by Anita Morris
  • "Together As One" by Anita Morris - a couple of evangelical numbers only heard in part in "Amen... Send Money", but they're technically originals.
  • Plus Sheena Easton's cover of "I Got You Babe".

Season 5:

• "Everything Inside of Me" by Tim Truman
  • "No Way Out" by Tim Truman & Don Johnson
  • "Help Me Through the Night" by Tim Truman & Phil Perry

Just so happens I went through all the songs used in the show recently to try and finish a really rock-solid list of what was used for the Miami Vice wiki, so that's where I'm getting these from :) I think it's now complete and accurate, save that Saudra Santiago song I can't identify.

Incidentally, of these songs, "You Belong to the City", "Vice", "Own the Night", "The Last Unbroken Heart" and "When the Rain Comes Down" are available on the show's official soundtrack albums, while "Rock by Day/Roll by Night" was released as a single and "Streetwise" was issued as a B-side to one of Don Johnson's singles (both back in the 80s, only on vinyl and long since out of print). The rest are unreleased outside of the show, as far as I know.

Great info yes I wouldn’t class the Sandra songs and the songs from “Amen..” and “Hurricane” the same as the other songs in Season 2 and 3 which were fully written and recorded for the show. But yes I would include the Tim Truman tracks for the show in Season 5.

Rock by Day/ Roll by Night by Eugene Smith forgotten how good that was and recorded specifically for “Phil the Shill” and not on my MV playlist for some reason.

Edited by Matt5

1 hour ago, Matt5 said:

I don’t think the “Water’s too Deep” from The Fix has ever been released - Is there a good quality copy out there @Dadrian?

Not that I know of. I ripped it from the DVD, but there’s still dialogue and sound effects.