MV Daytona spyder but is it fake?

cigarette

answerThis is one of the cars used in Miami Vice, McBurnie can only take credit for 2 of the several cars used. This is a McBurnie body built on a 79 Chassis. There are changes done to the car since it's use in Miami Vice because the car was later used in Cannonball Run and driven by john Candy. It even had different door handles on the car for that movie. But yes, this is fully documented with its film history with a legit paper trail.Volo Auto Museum27582 Volo Village RdVolo, IL 60073 Phone 815-385-3644 Fax 815-385-0703 Web site www.volocars.com E-mail brian@volocars.com

Yes its the original all right. They found it in some garage or something and totally rebuilt it. I remember reading an article last year about the resto...I saw pictures of some guy sanding the trunklid area or something. I wish I could find the article again...I'm surprised they are asking so much????!!!! I wish them luck in getting their price. It's about three times what it is really worth...................?

You are both right. The frame is not the MV car, as that ID number was documented by Universal in correspondance between Al Mardikian and Universal's attorneys. The body may be the one from that frame, but as there is no identification number on the body, there is no way to be 100%. If it is the MV car body, the only thing that is from the show is the body and a couple of the wheels. There is no paperwork to indicate that the Volo car was used on MV, only that it was driven in a movie starring John Candy called Speedzone. The vehicle identification number of the Volo car has been check and compared to documents from Universal, and the numbers do not match. The second car, in effect, no longer exists. The only existing car which can be documented to have been used on Miami Vice is in the hands of a private owner who contributes to this, and other sites. This car was know as the Camera Car.This information is based on a long conversation that the owner of the Camera Car Daytona and I had with Carl Roberts.

Good info Jur/narc!!!I also agree there Cigarette that they are asking WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY too much for what the car really is.Even if they can prove that it was or could be the one used in the show (I doubt they can from what Jurrasic has stated) the car is just not worth that much money. Not to belittle John Candy as I love him too, but a big name attached to a celebrity automobile can not demand that kind of money.I have worked in the Autobody Collision and Restoration business all my life, and althougth I can see they did a nice resotoration on the car, it cannot demand a yard and a half for the workmanship! In reality the car should fetch between 50-75 thousand...max.I was buiding AC Cobra's for that kind of money...BRAND NEW! I could buy two kit cars for the price of that one Vette! And remember........it's still only a Vette!

little of topicOld cars are going up in value. I have a Buick Riviera GS option 1972. Here in Norway I can get 33000USD. i also have a Eldorado 70. triple black for that I can get 20000USD.

Wow Cigarette that Buick is a VERY rare vehicle! I am surprised you have one. I suppose it has the dual hood scoop hood as well?Not to sound ignorant...but I was not aware that too many muscle cars got to the European Nations in comparison to North America? That alone would make it rare and so would the fact that it is a muscle car!Please post pics, as this is actually a nice car and others here who are "car buffs" may like to see it???That car I could see as going up in value but a Vette........??? I have worked on Vettes all my life and not to sound demeaning to any Corvette owners, but they are not all that they are said to be... I respect the car for what it was, but over my three decades of working on them, I find many faults in them that I will not get into lengthy discussion over. Sure the Daytona body fit nice on the C3 chassis, but it was never a real Ferrari! Sorry, but I just can't see paying over a hundred thousand dollars for a GM product......................................................................Good luck to those guys selling that Daytona whether its authentic or not.

• 1 month later...

you can have rowley corvette build you a daytona fake but just do not ask them to put the ferrari badging on it because of legal ramifications i think the going price was with your donor car about 50k check it out here www.rowleycorvette.com:hippie:

• 2 weeks later...

John Candy / There Goes the Suspension......There are changes done to the car since it's use in Miami Vice because the car was later used in Cannonball Run and driven by john Candy. ....Ouch

Guest The Talk

who is who?

...The second car' date=' in effect, no longer exists. The only existing car which can be documented to have been used on Miami Vice is in the hands of a private owner who contributes to this, and other sites. This car was know as the Camera Car.This information is based on a long conversation that the owner of the Camera Car Daytona and I had with Carl Roberts.[/quote']Doesn't Carl Roberts own one of the cars, too? :confused:Or isn't this the same "Carl Roberts" you know?Quote of an article (Source: LINK)The documented “Miami Vice†cars were redone a few years ago with one going to Carl Roberts in Tennessee and the other is owned by Roger Pamperin in Lubbock, Texas. The last time I saw the car it was sitting in the rain behind a garage. I drove back from L.A. the better of the two, and trailered the other one before that to a shop in Lubbock. I don’t know if they could be purchased. Roger would want a lot for the car. It was not very well done actually and the only claim to fame it was used on the show.Do you know who "Don Horne" is? Is he a "reliable source"?And if the content of the other article is correct then Roger Pamperin sold "his" Daytona. I guess this is the one you mentioned:Quote: ".For years there was no record of where the Miami Vice cars went. One was said to be on display in a museum in Tennessee. The other, based on an '81 Corvette chassis, just surfaced in Lubbock, Texas, in the possession of Jeff Souter. Is "Jeff Souter" the owner of the Camera Car Daytona you mentioned above?Both articles report about a car in "Tennessee". One of it says "on a display in a museum" the other says "Carl Roberts".But if Roger Pamperin was the other owner who then is "shop owner Ed McKenzie"?:confused::radar:

LINK)The documented “Miami Vice” cars were redone a few years ago with one going to Carl Roberts in Tennessee and the other is owned by Roger Pamperin in Lubbock, Texas. The last time I saw the car it was sitting in the rain behind a garage. I drove back from L.A. the better of the two, and trailered the other one before that to a shop in Lubbock. I don’t know if they could be purchased. Roger would want a lot for the car. It was not very well done actually and the only claim to fame it was used on the show.Do you know who "Don Horne" is? Is he a "reliable source"?And if the content of the other article is correct then Roger Pamperin sold "his" Daytona. I guess this is the one you mentioned:Quote: ".For years there was no record of where the Miami Vice cars went. One was said to be on display in a museum in Tennessee. The other, based on an '81 Corvette chassis, just surfaced in Lubbock, Texas, in the possession of Jeff Souter. Is "Jeff Souter" the owner of the Camera Car Daytona you mentioned above?Both articles report about a car in "Tennessee". One of it says "on a display in a museum" the other says "Carl Roberts".But if Roger Pamperin was the other owner who then is "shop owner Ed McKenzie"?:confused::radar:

Both cars went to Carl Roberts. He leased one of the original MV cars (built on a 1976 Vette frame) to be used in the movie SPEED ZONE with John Candy. The other car, the nicer of the two and built on a 1981 Vette frame, was called the Camera Car. The Camera Car is still in the hands of a private owner who posts here occasionally. The Camera Car went from Carl Roberts to a series of private owners and has never been displayed in any museum. It remains today privately held.The cars Carl Roberts sent for use in SPEED ZONE were Daytonas he had built. Carl says that one of the cars had the body of the MIAMI VICE car, but not the frame, engine, etc. That car went through some hands in Texas, and ended up at the VOLO Museum. Carl Roberts has ample documentation to show that he had the original two show cars. One car (with a title issued to Universal Studios) is the Camera Car. I have seen it, and it matches the MV Car in all respects as well as bearing the ID number shown in documents authenticated back to Tom McBurnie to Al Mardikian to Universal Studios to Carl Roberts.The second car really no longer exists. The frame, motor and running gear cannot be found. The body (which was changed to a certain extent) is on another frame at the Volo Museum. But the car cannot be truly verified as the body has no identification numbers on it, and the Volo car doesn't bear the vehicle ID number of either car documented to have been used on MIAMI VICE.For more information, go to http://www.priceofaddiction.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=17&Itemid=32

The ferrari on Vice was actually a corvette with the mold from the ferrari on it,oh yeah,John Candy wasn't on Cannonball Run,that was Dom DeLuise,great film,have the DVD!

LINK)The documented “Miami Vice†cars were redone a few years ago with one going to Carl Roberts in Tennessee and the other is owned by Roger Pamperin in Lubbock, Texas. The last time I saw the car it was sitting in the rain behind a garage. I drove back from L.A. the better of the two, and trailered the other one before that to a shop in Lubbock. I don’t know if they could be purchased. Roger would want a lot for the car. It was not very well done actually and the only claim to fame it was used on the show.Do you know who "Don Horne" is? Is he a "reliable source"?And if the content of the other article is correct then Roger Pamperin sold "his" Daytona. I guess this is the one you mentioned:Quote: ".For years there was no record of where the Miami Vice cars went. One was said to be on display in a museum in Tennessee. The other, based on an '81 Corvette chassis, just surfaced in Lubbock, Texas, in the possession of Jeff Souter. Is "Jeff Souter" the owner of the Camera Car Daytona you mentioned above?Both articles report about a car in "Tennessee". One of it says "on a display in a museum" the other says "Carl Roberts".But if Roger Pamperin was the other owner who then is "shop owner Ed McKenzie"?:confused::radar:

As to Rober Pamperin, Jeff Souter, and Ed Mckenzie. If I understood the chronology correctly from Carl Roberts:the Daytona with the MV body on it was sent to Roger Pamperin who owned a shop in Texas. He was to do work on the car and then forward it to Roberts. That was never done, and in the mean time Ed McKenzie bought the shop and the car. There was documentation to prove that the car was used in SpeedZone, and the belief that it was used on Miami Vice. But there was no title for the car. But the car was finally sold to Jeff Souter. He displayed it for an article in Vette magazine. He said it was the car from Miami Vice (although the ID number is not the same as the car from the show). Souter sold this car to the Volo Museum.

• 2 months later...

Actually it wasn't driven by john candy, it was driven by two hot chicks, John Candy drove the bmv Johns car - http://www.imcdb.org/vehicle_10084-BMW-735i-E32-1988.htmland the Daytona - http://www.imcdb.org/vehicle_10093-Ferrari-365-GTS-4.htmlhttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pYlzoUpqlSE&feature=PlayList&p=019DC6751CDBECDA&playnext=1&playnext_from=PL&index=41Daytona kicks in at 0:09 - 0:11, 0:48 - 0:50two things, dont watch this film for the Daytona, it really sucked and they really mistreat it and two turn the volume off on the trailerhttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d5fm45yfsDQ - Siskel and Eberts review of it

• 1 year later...

Other MV Daytona's?I just moved to Miami and met a guy here who claims it was through his shop that the real Daytona was loaned out for the piolet. He also claims that he built daytona(s) for the show. His story was that the real car was used for the piolet, was deemed to expensive plus they needed duplicate back up cars. He claims he made a deal with the owner of the real Daytona, that was in fair condition, that if the owner would allow him to take the car apart and make the molds off of it, that he would do restoration in exchange on the real car. He showed me old photos to back what he was saying and was quite humble about the story. He says one of the diffrences between his and McBurrnies bodies was that McBurrnies had a much larger wheel flair and the body was actually narrower. He says, it was apparent at the top of the doors, since his body was wider, there was more of a ledge on the top of the doors where since the McBurrnie body was narrower, this ledge was smaller. Had anyone head of this story and or has anyone noticed if there was a varience in the bodies? (Wheels flairs being most obvious)?