If there was a remake of MIAMI VICE with new actors, who could play the characters?!?

Christian

@TaylorLehotan1 great choise. Chad Michael Murray looks good as new Crockett in this picture. I think Jessie Johnson would be great as Sonny, because he has Don's look :)

Edited by Crockettt

• 8 years later...

I can see Denzel Washington in his late 30s/early 40s playing Tubbs. In fact, he read for the part back in 1983!

Brad Pitt as Crockett .... Maybe he's the closest thing to Don Johnson I 've seen. But I don't think he would be the right choice He's got the looks, the vulnerable side,but is wanting in the toughness department, IMO.

Haven't really thought about the rest of the cast.

Edited by johnnyfarragut

To be blunt I don´t see (when looking at actors currently in the age to play the characters) any actor that could (character- or charisma-wise*) reprise Crockett and Tubbs well. Just have similar looks is not enough.

With this, thinking about the others (Gina, Trudy, ....) is breadless art:p

*to specify what I mean it is good comparing it with Magnum, another iconic (0s series: Tom Selleck & others WERE the characters type-wise and the chemistry between them, especially Magnum and Higgins was sensational. That was the one thing carrying the whole series, not the scripts and the island. No way any other actors could live up to that and the Magnum reboot is the worst for me ever. I not even made one full episode. Jay Hernandez does not have any of the boyish charisma or "charme" of Magnum and the change to a female Higgins kills off the original tense relationship clash between British snob (even played by a Texan actor) and Hawaiian dandy type P.I. completely.

I think a VICE reboot would suffer the same (as also did the VICE movie). Jamie Foxx was a pain in the a.. to work with on set, he nearly ruined production trough his tantrums and it shows on screen as well. He was not into it. There is no chemistry. Only resemblance is a white guy with long hair and a black guy playing some detectives. All other characters are badly casted too for the same reason.

Sorry for the rant, but as much as I love VICE I pray that there will not be any reboot that only destroys an iconic memory. (If I hear again about Vin Diesel planning something I will puke I swear :dance2:).

They could have done that 15 years ago, now 40 years later with typical stereotype casting and production attitude (lots of action, but no story and no heart) of big companies it´s too late. Also Miami like in 1980s is no more. Miami Vice would have to be "Spring break VICE" now with Crockett&Tubbs busting noisy students. Train has left the station.... 

• Like 2

Pretty much in agreement with Tom. 

Don Johnson is always diplomatic when someone brings up the subject, but reading between the lines you can tell he wants none of it (he says things like 'keep in mind it was an era-specific series blahblah').

The remake: they should 've called it 'Vice'. How much time they spend in Miami? 10 minutes?

Edited by johnnyfarragut
  • Like 1

vor 43 Minuten schrieb johnnyfarragut:

Pretty much in agreement with Tom. 

Don Johnson is always diplomatic when someone brings up the subject, but reading between the lines you can tell he wants none of it (he says things like 'keep in mind it was an era-specific series blahblah').

The remake: they should 've called it 'Vice'. How much time they spend in Miami? 10 minutes?

DJ has not much (actor) interest in this I believe. Maybe more as potential producer (like he was with Nash Bridges, that´s why he won his 20M+ suit against Rysher Entertainment for royalties).

I see no way how you could possibly integrate a 75 year old Crockett, Tubbs and 80 year old Castillo in a reboot script, other than a nice cameo in a bar giving some old stories to younger cops). 

They should have called the movie "Bad Boys - Dark version". That´s what it is. :)

Edited by Tom
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

A reboot of Vice would be terrible...horrible beyond description. I agree with Tom about the Magnum farce...it's unwatchable. Even having the characters appear in a Hawaii Five-0 crossover was painful beyond words.

The only reboot I've seen that was really worth anything is the above-mentioned Five-0, but that's because they were so careful to include callbacks to the original show (including original cast members, one of the cars from the original show, and so on). They even have Rick from the original Magnum as a recurring guest star (as a club manager/owner no less...still wearing the ring he had in the original Magnum).

• Like 1

• Administrators
4 hours ago, Tom said:

Sorry for the rant, but as much as I love VICE I pray that there will not be any reboot that only destroys an iconic memory. (If I hear again about Vin Diesel planning something I will puke I swear

:thumbsup: 100%!    Haven’t we been down this road before?  I’d rather watch endless reruns, because anything they can come up with will NEVER measure up to the original. Leave it alone!

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

Rumor was that around 2009 or so Universal was keen on doing a reunion TV movie/backdoor pilot. I think I still have the e-mail an old buddy sent me I will check.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Ferrariman said:

:thumbsup: 100%!    Haven’t we been down this road before?  I’d rather watch endless reruns, because anything they can come up with will NEVER measure up to the original. Leave it alone!

Like I said, of all the remakes/relaunches/whatever I've seen, the only one that was worth anything was Hawaii Five-0. All the others (including everything else that Lenkov guy touched) have been garbage.

• Like 2

This idea may deserve a thread of its own, but I totally believe there will someday be an AI revival of MV with all the original cast. Even if it’s terrible, you’d have to at least check it out, right?

@Tom can help them recreate the locations, @Robbie C. can write scripts, @Marc would choose all the songs, @RedDragon86 and @Ferrariman would handle quality control, and I could…well, you know. :) 

Sorry if I left anyone out :sick:

Seriously though: for better or worse, AI is a real game-changer for entertainment moving forward (as some of you already know, I’m sure). 

• Haha 3

I would not help them to make a cartoon version of MV, as this is exactly what an AI generated MV series with original cast would be. Simply against my fan pride :)

But irrespective of the technical ability there will be the legal issue that they will not be allowed to make AI films or series without consent of the actors shown (or their heirs).

I work with AI in my profession and currently it’s a buzzword that is often used but its MO rarely understood by most people. AI is -simply speaking-machine learning algorithms successfully simulating human behaviour or intelligence, like replacing support personnel by a robot. To create a movie with dead or old-appear-as-young actors you rather need CGI than AI by the way. Neither Terminator 2 (1991) nor the superhero movies nor the Irishman (2019, lots of age transformation) would qualify as AI generated movies.

Edited by Tom
  • Like 1

• Administrators
12 hours ago, Dadrian said:

This idea may deserve a thread of its own, but I totally believe there will someday be an AI revival of MV with all the original cast. Even if it’s terrible, you’d have to at least check it out, right?

@Tom can help them recreate the locations, @Robbie C. can write scripts, @Marc would choose all the songs, @RedDragon86 and @Ferrariman would handle quality control, and I could…well, you know. :) 

Sorry if I left anyone out :sick:

Seriously though: for better or worse, AI is a real game-changer for entertainment moving forward (as some of you already know, I’m sure). 

I've been saying it for a while now.  Pretty soon you won't need actors to make movies anymore.

13 minutes ago, Ferrariman said:

I've been saying it for a while now.  Pretty soon you won't need actors to make movies anymore.

Or singers for songs

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Seems like what we call AI today have little to do with what AI meant when the field was starting: https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2013/11/the-man-who-would-teach-machines-to-think/309529/

So they wanted to build HAL 9000 and realized it was too difficult a problem. So they went after easier problems, watering down the AI concept in the process.

Maybe they should tackle Artificial Stupidity first before attempting to create bona fide Artificial Intelligence? 

Edited by johnnyfarragut

On 5/7/2023 at 6:59 PM, Dadrian said:

Or singers for songs

That's possible already (Auto-Tune). They still use humans as singers, out of tradition more than anything I guess.

Edited by johnnyfarragut