Episode #55 "Forgive Us Our Debts"

Ferrariman

3 minutes ago, ViceFanMan said:

Perhaps not every single one, but most episodes of MV were like that...that’s one of the things that made it stand out at the time. Smugglers Blues and Definitely Miami are 2 other examples, but there are many more. :thumbsup: 

I really noticed it with “Forgive Us Our Debts” last nite and other early Season 3 due to the cinematography, colors and editing so well done but of course the episodes you mentioned also are excellent also.

• 5 months later...

One of my favorite episodes of the series! I found it to be well-done all around, the ending appropriately left me feeling sour..."is there anything else you'd like?" "How about a power failure?"

• Like 2

One of the series' top 10 for me.  I can never hear We Do What We're Told without thinking of this ep, much like Air Tonite and the pilot.  Also has Meat Loaf's Living On The Outside from his most 80s album which I like best for that reason.

Edited by Bren10
  • Like 4

vor 5 Stunden schrieb Rattlehead:

I dislike Meat Loaf's music but damn, what a good song in this episode!

You know why? This specific song was the only one by Meat Loaf that was written by Richard Page and Steve George, co founders of Mr.Mister. One can clearly heat that origin.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Tom said:

You know why? This specific song was the only one by Meat Loaf that was written by Richard Page and Steve George, co founders of Mr.Mister. One can clearly heat that origin.

And some really nice fretless bass guitar from an unknown “John Golden”. ?(

• Like 1

• 10 months later...

After repeat viewings I will make a (hopefully fresh) observation about Sonny in that final scene. You can see the discomfort in his voice and the nervousness in his eyes before Frank even begins to speak. By the time he says "Thanks Sonny", Sonny is already realizing what he has done. Sonny takes off his sunglasses to confirm what "the light" has shown him. Outside the darkness of the prison he can clearly see what Frank really is. I may be looking into it too much but I think this scene made great use of dual symbolism - The sunlight of Miami and "the light" in a religious sense exposing Frank's wickedness before the two even exchange words.

And what about the eyes? Frank's complexion/eyes looked relatively normal in prison. Once released you could see how terrifyingly pale he was and how piercing and wicked his eyes were. Sonny's eyes show nervousness and confusion when he takes off his sunglasses. Felicia's eyes from the car are equally terrifying as Frank's - demented almost. Barkley's eyes are less so - more nonchalant, joyful, and "along for the ride" than Frank and Felicia whose eyes just scream pure evil.

Some criticisms. I know that Frank plays a pivotal role later but I almost wish this was his sole appearance. It would make it far more chilling. And I don't know if it was intentional but Felicia can clearly be seen as the person behind the wheel when Gus is killed. And rewatching the opening scene it is clear that the killer had light slicked back hair and pale skin - so the story of a DeSantis from New York committing the crime didn't pass the smell test even on my first viewing.

Felicia's hypnotically evil stare/grin towards Frank/Sonny and Frank's casual "Yeah" are going to be burned in my brain for a long time.

Edited by JoeyStockwell
  • Like 4

35 minutes ago, RedDragon86 said:

Its a 10.

You have to hand it to Hackman, he played Sonny brilliantly. The key moment in my opinion for making his story convincing to Sonny was the last line in bold "That's kind of ironic, don't you think? I go out for one I didn't do?" Sonny - "Still say you were in Daytona?" "It doesn't matter"

That was so crafty.

The guy was a genius at manipulating people. You could see the wheels turning in Sonny's head when he was listening to Hackman during that conversation. You saw the scorn turn to surprise and then, concern. The last scene, when Crockett realizes he was fooled was so painful to watch. I give this episode a solid 10. 

• Like 4

18 hours ago, mjcmmv said:

The guy was a genius at manipulating people. You could see the wheels turning in Sonny's head when he was listening to Hackman during that conversation. You saw the scorn turn to surprise and then, concern. The last scene, when Crockett realizes he was fooled was so painful to watch. I give this episode a solid 10. 

Yes this is a solid 10 - but considering the maggot Hackman was and came over I’m surprised Sonny got sucked in.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Matt5 said:

Yes this is a solid 10 - but considering the maggot Hackman was and came over I’m surprised Sonny got sucked in.

I agree. I always thought that was out of character. Sonny was very cynical when it came to the bad guys he dealt with and he knew Hackman was the lowest of the low. Didn't really make sense he'd fall for it. Also, the way Frankel was killed-that was Hackman's signature! The people who vouched for Hackman were all known associates of Hackman, so how could they be taken seriously? 

AND, I know he claimed he was being convicted for a murder he didn't commit, but in the past, the guy left a trail of bodies where ever he went-vicious murders and one was a young kid! Was Sonny that principled that he'd move heaven and earth to exonerate someone like this? Let the guy be released so he could kill again? 

Doesn't make sense. 

Edited by mjcmmv
  • Like 2

As I recall, Sonny resisted investigating Hackmann's case again for a quite long time and was pushed to do so by Castillo. Which I was honestly surprised by. Only later Sonny made it his own business.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Glades said:

As I recall, Sonny resisted investigating Hackmann's case again for a quite long time and was pushed to do so by Castillo. Which I was honestly surprised by. Only later Sonny made it his own business.

You know, that’s true. I forgot that. But he still got sucked in. I hear what your saying though. 

• Like 3

vor 2 Minuten schrieb mjcmmv:

You know, that’s true. I forgot that. But he still got sucked in. I hear what your saying though. 

You are right with Crockett. I just wanted to say that also and even first Castillo was on a wrong way.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Glades said:

You are right with Crockett. I just wanted to say that also and even first Castillo was on a wrong way.

I'm glad you mentioned it. Then, it made more sense. Thanks! 

• Like 1

What can I say - just perfection. I’ve reviewed this one before but one thing I noticed was Waldman (the politician) said  to Crockett and Tubbs that in 1986 Miami was the murder capital of the world? Fact of fiction? 

Edited by Matt5

• 3 months later...

Bald caps aside,...this was a great episode.  Just rewatched it today.  Not much action, but the story and performances really shine.  Crockett's look at the end would be enough to get my emmy vote.

• Like 3

• 8 months later...
  • 5 months later...

This is my 3rd favourite episode from the ENTIRE series. 10/10 all the way.

Maybe because it was the first part of the Hackman nemesis story ? Anyways, doesn't really matter why, it matters that it is, atleast for me, if not for you too.

We get quite a bit of stuff here, good acting, Testarossa scenes, some action, deep story, controversial topic (and, this time, unlike the others, it was tried, it really made it well),good guest stars, music that fits VERY well the athmosphere and if the first time you watch it, it feels so emotional. Sort of what "Evan" did, in a new, better way, I'd say, since we got an indirect cliffhanger with this move, for an upcoming, even better episode. And that symbolic crucifixion at the end is so ice cold on Hackman's side. Not to mention, we also got a look back at the begging of Sonny's career in the Vice squad.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
On 9/6/2019 at 4:08 PM, mjcmmv said:
On 9/6/2019 at 3:56 PM, Matt5 said:

I agree. I always thought that was out of character. Sonny was very cynical when it came to the bad guys he dealt with and he knew Hackman was the lowest of the low. Didn't really make sense he'd fall for it. Also, the way Frankel was killed-that was Hackman's signature! The people who vouched for Hackman were all known associates of Hackman, so how could they be taken seriously? 

AND, I know he claimed he was being convicted for a murder he didn't commit, but in the past, the guy left a trail of bodies where ever he went-vicious murders and one was a young kid! Was Sonny that principled that he'd move heaven and earth to exonerate someone like this? Let the guy be released so he could kill again? 

Doesn't make sense. 

I thought Sonny changed to being pro-Hackman rather too easily as well. Personally I thought he'd be more "Well if you didn't do this one, you've certainly killed others" but maybe it had to fit into the short space of time available in the episode for his volte face.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, wolfie1996 said:

I thought Sonny changed to being pro-Hackman rather too easily as well. Personally I thought he'd be more "Well if you didn't do this one, you've certainly killed others" but maybe it had to fit into the short space of time available in the episode for his volte face.

I thought that as well, but this was also the "innocent Crockett" phase. Sonny always had a strong idealist streak, and I think Hackman played into his not wanting to be responsible for sending Hackman to his death if he'd made a mistake in the case. I know it was brought up in another thread, but I think being played this way broke Crockett (inside at least) more than Zito's death did. He could (and did) rationalize his actions with Zito...this was all on him.

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

Just watched this. Actually I wrote a summary here in this thread back in 2011.

I consider this the best episode in Miami Vice EVER, along with Out Where The Buses Don't Run.

This is pure genius. What a flawless episode and amazing acting by everyone.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Mr. Vigilante said:

Even though there's not much action, this would've been a perfect episode to end S3 on.  Foreshadowing what's to come.

Very good point, Mr. V.

On 3/16/2021 at 2:39 PM, wolfie1996 said:

I think this was problem comes from that when you squeeze a movie length plot (which is very deep) to 46 minutes. There simply isn't enough time to develop these character traits properly.

• Like 4