Spotted! Don Johnson.

DefinitelyCrockett

3 hours ago, Matt5 said:

I think chilled and content - great man.

Agreed. I was quoting Callie from the pool in Definitely Miami. :thumbsup:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, vicegirl85 said:

When I have seen pics of him in public he usually seems to have a bodyguard or two.  I'd be surprised if someone could get close enough to really start fangirling hard at him. 

But honestly why would any of us do that?  "I appreciate your work" would be polite, if one had the chance to get close enough to speak to him.  Much more would be pushing. 

True, celebrities should expect to be approached and it would be gracious to give an autograph if asked, but if he said yes to one, when is the cutoff?  10, 25?  In his time I'm sure he's had lots of people try to approach him and not respect his personal space.  Maybe not so much nowadays, but still if he's out with his family I think people should respect his right to be in a public space without fans hanging all over him.    

He still has bodyguards with him? That seems ludicrous and unnecessary in 2019. Maybe in 1985. Anyway, makes sense since you can't get a gun in California.

11 hours ago, Dadrian said:

Agreed. I was quoting Callie from the pool in Definitely Miami. :thumbsup:

Oh apologies,  that episode is not one of my favourites at all so I missed your clever reference. :)

• Like 1

11 hours ago, pmconroy said:

He still has bodyguards with him? That seems ludicrous and unnecessary in 2019. Maybe in 1985. Anyway, makes sense since you can't get a gun in California.

Well, I don't know if he has them when he's alone.  I've seen pics and videos of him in public with his wife, with Dakota, or with Melanie Griffith and there have definitely been guys who look like they are bodyguards.  Usually (in videos) people are calling out to him, trying to get his attention, and of course the people taking the photos and videos.  So I don't know if it's really unnecessary.  If no one was trying to photograph or film him every time he goes out, I'm sure he wouldn't keep paying people to perform as bodyguards. 

23 minutes ago, vicegirl85 said:

Well, I don't know if he has them when he's alone.  I've seen pics and videos of him in public with his wife, with Dakota, or with Melanie Griffith and there have definitely been guys who look like they are bodyguards.  Usually (in videos) people are calling out to him, trying to get his attention, and of course the people taking the photos and videos.  So I don't know if it's really unnecessary.  If no one was trying to photograph or film him every time he goes out, I'm sure he wouldn't keep paying people to perform as bodyguards. 

Would people really recognize him anymore though? I know everyone here would, but would regular people?

39 minutes ago, pmconroy said:

Would people really recognize him anymore though? I know everyone here would, but would regular people?

I think anyone who was alive  and aware of popular culture in the 80s would. He still looks very much like Crockett. 

1 hour ago, pmconroy said:

I agree with Dadrian--plenty of people are still around who remember him; he looks quite good for his age; and he has worked regularly in the intervening years, although never with the white-hot popularity he achieved with MV.  Hard to say if the general public that is too young to remember MV would recognize him but I think he's well-known. 

Show up anywhere that grown ups are wearing a white suit and pink t shirt and say “who am I?”. :p

3 hours ago, Dadrian said:

I think anyone who was alive  and aware of popular culture in the 80s would. He still looks very much like Crockett. 

Yes he does, but an older one.

2 hours ago, Dadrian said:

Show up anywhere that grown ups are wearing a white suit and pink t shirt and say “who am I?”. :p

At the same time, he doesn't wear those clothes anymore! Lol

• Like 1

16 hours ago, pmconroy said:

There are over 350, 000 guns registered in California, the third highest in the nation.  What does that mean?

https://www.statista.com/statistics/215655/number-of-registered-weapons-in-the-us-by-state/

I've lived in the LA area my whole life, worked in television production for a few years, and have met many celebrities over the years.  I'd say several dozen.  The only circumstances I've seen them use bodyguards is at big events where large crowds know they will be there such as premiers, award shows, talk show tapings, etc...  Most celebrities, even big ones at that moment, can go out by themselves, typically with some sunglasses and a hat.  It happens all the time.  However, I don't see how them having a gun would in any way help with fans or the paparazzi.  That could go horribly wrong.  That being said...

I have met and approached some pretty big celebrities in non-event situations and have had positive interactions almost without exception.  I don't bother someone if they're eating, or interacting with their family, or a few other circumstances.  I typically say I enjoy their work, as someone else mentioned, and often try to mention something in particular.  For example, I met Clint Eastwood years ago at the Dorothy Chandler Pavilion.  I mentioned I was a big fan of Play Misty For Me, his directorial debut.  This was not long after he had directed Unforgiven (I'm dating myself).  He was very nice in his response and thanked me for the kind words.  Over the years I've met James Garner, my favorite actor of all time, Steven Spielberg, Liz Taylor, Sean Connery, Morgan Freeman, Sharon Stone, Martin Scorsese, Tom Selleck, Quentin Terantino, and many others, no one from Miami vice though.  If you live long enough in the area, you're going to run into at least a few celebrities.  For the last several years I've lived at a marina in Long Beach and those interactions are far fewer.  When I lived on the west side of LA they were far more common.  

Edit:

I did meet Julia Roberts at a Sur la Table of all places, so I did meet someone on Miami Vice.  Funny, I never put those two together!

Edited by pahonu

• Administrators
On 5/12/2019 at 11:06 PM, Matt5 said:

I thought this was cute and taken by one of Don Johnson’s daughters this weekend more than likely at his house up near Santa Barbara, California - the great man himself chillin’ just hanging by the pool, taking it day by day. 
So just wanted to share it with all you guys as you may not have seen it. 

3AAC7087-53BD-4E9B-A076-9DAC4DB92500.jpeg

Still rocking no socks. :thumbsup:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

To clarify, I don't think DJ has armed bodyguards.  But I do think he has men around him who are there to help him avoid getting hindered by paparazzi, would-be interviewers, autograph-seekers, etc.

1 hour ago, vicegirl85 said:

To clarify, I don't think DJ has armed bodyguards.  But I do think he has men around him who are there to help him avoid getting hindered by paparazzi, would-be interviewers, autograph-seekers, etc.

No definately not - I saw him at an event in NYC in late 2003 promoting his “Word of Honor” TV movie and it was just him and Kelley, his wife.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Matt5 said:

No definately not - I saw him at an event in NYC in late 2003 promoting his “Word of Honor” TV movie and it was just him and Kelley, his wife.

This makes way more sense based on my experiences.

44 minutes ago, pahonu said:

This makes way more sense based on my experiences.

Definately you can see with all the pictures dating back years also he’s walking around on his own or with Kelley no security or anyone with him.

4 hours ago, Jeff_Cooper said:

sprezzatura

Word of the day: studied carelessness, especially as a characteristic quality or style of art or literature. :dance2:

• 2 months later...

Don and his wife were at the new Quentin Tarantino film premiere “Once upon a time in Hollywood” on Monday night. I was searching for news on the New Nash Bridges series that will be aired fall 2020. This is a nice piece and with great photos of the man with a mention of Nash Bridges also.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-7278065/Don-Johnson-69-takes-rare-photo-wife-20-years-Kelley-Phleger-50.html

Edited by Matt5
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

On Kelley Johnson’s Instagram she is posting pictures of Don and the family in the South of France. Seems like they just got back there. They go most Summers.

• 2 weeks later...

After an extended trip to the South of France where he seems to holiday most Summers- Kelley and Don, with family, appeared to have gone further south where the waters murkier and foods hotter - Marrakech in Morocco.:)

Edited by Matt5
  • Like 1