Episode #54 "Streetwise"

Ferrariman

Not a fan of the Don Johnson "Rap" song in the beginning even though Trudy does sing on the actual record. I do enjoy this episode though especially all the shots of Old Collins Ave with all the seedy elements. Its so different now, much cleaner but too expensive. I prefer the Old Miami Beach of my youth. Wesley Snipes and Bill Paxton were great and the storyline was interesting. Always cool to see the "Stunt" Testarossa ! You can always tell with the difference by the rims on the car. I gave it a 7/10.

• 6 months later...

Is the actress who played Vic Romano's wife the same actress who played Julia in The Lost Madonna?

Elizabeth Berridge played Julia Scianti in The Lost Madonna. Her one and only appearance on Vice.

• 1 month later...

This one's a pretty cool episode to watch...one I like viewing each time. Wesley Snipes and Bill Paxton are awesome guest-stars, and Snipes makes the perfect "Silk"! His fashion in this one was off the charts 80's pimp. :)But the fashion, with Trudy & Gina's clothes, to everyone else was awesome! The style really seemed to sizzle in this one too, as the lighting and the colors for backgrounds were superb! :glossy:The action was pretty cool too, with gun fights, car chases, fist fights, etc... Then you have continual witty dialogue for everyone involved...as it was a Vice case that took them right into the middle of 80's seamy/seedy Miami. :eek:Love the cars in this one as well, with Crockett's Testarossa--and I think a stunt one was definitely used during some of it, but I especially love Silk's "Teal-Mobile"...an old 1976 Pontiac Gran Prix, that if one was ever painted in the "MV" color scheme this is it! :D Here's a pic: [ATTACH=CONFIG]7863[/ATTACH]Silk's 1976 Pontiac Gran Prix--most likely with a Michael Mann paint job. ;)Overall a good "seedy" Vice episode, and with the action, cars, humor, but especially because of the style and colors...I gave it a 7! :clap:

post-483-13892965546258_thumb.jpg

• 2 months later...

Not bad.This has some of my favourite moments, These guys try to run over crockett so he rolls over his testerossa, shoots them and they crash into this motor home thing.What's the tall building called with the 3 tiers and it's lit in a whitey-blue colour?There's a scene where C&Ts have Bill Paxton and his hooker gf, and there's a shot through the window, you the building and their reflection on the window, It looks awesome.Im not a fan of the intro with the hokie DJ song, It's almost embarrassing.

• Like 1

Not bad.This has some of my favourite moments' date=' These guys try to run over crockett so he rolls over his testerossa, shoots them and they crash into this motor home thing.What's the tall building called with the 3 tiers and it's lit in a whitey-blue colour?There's a scene where C&Ts have Bill Paxton and his hooker gf, and there's a shot through the window, you the building and their reflection on the window, It looks awesome.Im not a fan of the intro with the hokie DJ song, It's almost embarrassing.[/quote']The intro song by DJ was kind of wild or even "odd"...but it was also humorous too--especially with Trudy! :) She helped "make" that scene and it wasn't too bad. But, I liked this one okay...good action and car scenes:
This one's a pretty cool episode to watch...one I like viewing each time. Wesley Snipes and Bill Paxton are awesome guest-stars' date=' and Snipes makes the perfect "Silk"! His fashion in this one was off the charts 80's pimp. :)But the fashion, with Trudy & Gina's clothes, to everyone else was awesome! The style really seemed to sizzle in this one too, as the lighting and the colors for backgrounds were superb! :glossy:The action was pretty cool too, with gun fights, car chases, fist fights, etc... Then you have continual witty dialogue for everyone involved...as it was a Vice case that took them right into the middle of 80's seamy/seedy Miami. :eek:Love the cars in this one as well, with Crockett's Testarossa--and I think a stunt one was definitely used during some of it, but I especially love Silk's "Teal-Mobile"...an old 1976 Pontiac Gran Prix, that if one was ever painted in the "MV" color scheme this is it! :D Here's a pic: [ATTACH=CONFIG']7863[/ATTACH]Silk's 1976 Pontiac Gran Prix--most likely with a Michael Mann paint job. ;)Overall a good "seedy" Vice episode, and with the action, cars, humor, but especially because of the style and colors...I gave it a 7! :clap:

• 9 months later...

Pure 80s - although not as fluffy as some of the season 1 -2 episodes . 

Loved Deborah J Adair as Carla = very nice  :D  :done:  :fireworks:

• 1 year later...

Just finished watching this one again- I really have a soft spot for it. A good story, fairly gritty and with a really downbeat ending; plus the fashion is good in this ep, Trudy looks stunning and Crockett's blazer is good too (style and colour wise I'm guessing Versace?). I'll give it an 8/10 as it's not a classic, but a personal favourite.

• 6 months later...

After a rather off-beat perhaps ill-conceived intro that threatens to give us "Miami Vice: The Musical", this episode actually settles into some classic enjoyable territory. Guest star Bill Paxton delivers a somewhat lethargic performance, but I accept it in the mindset that he is burnt out, over the edge and I'd like to think his character was actually on some medication. Snipes is fun to watch in such an early career performance. Great job all around from our beloved cast. Trudy, Gina both look great, and likewise Deb Adair who does a nice job and is quite intriguing with her Carla character. The dining scene with Tubbs and Carla always gets to me, I'm relieved when he finally pulls out his badge. 

Great shoot out action sequence near the end, yet it reminds me of the issue I have with many of these...they are too short! I know it was difficult to pack so much into less than 50 minutes of show time, but I would love to have seen many of these extended a bit. The "fake" Testarossa is amusing to see. Many great shots in this, vibrant color and lighting. I'll give it a 7, replace the musical intro with a more somber or danger filled scene of life on the street and a definite 8 would be in order.

• Like 2

• 1 year later...

Damn Carla was sexy.

Anyway, this is a decent episode. Its one of those that I gotta be in the right mood for.

Bill Paxton, RIP, got better as he got older. Snipes was brilliant.

Gina and Tudy are on fire.

Love pimpin Tubbs in this one.

LOVE the shot of C and T talking while overlooking the city at night.

The ending was a little predictable with Paxton dying. That was the problem with S3. It had to have a gloomy ending.After a while, you just saw it coming. 

7/10

• 1 year later...

watched this one for the first time in a while last night and thought it was a weaker 3rd season episode.

The opening with Trudy singing her lyrics from Don Johnson's song was very forced, too long, and sort of broke the fourth wall to me, in a sense. Also, another "Crockett knows how the stressed out undercover cop feels" episode where he unreasonably helps another cop who is over the edge (done much better in Heart of Darkness back in season 1). 

It was cool to see Paxton (RIP), but he doesn't do a great job acting here, although in fairness he wasn't given a lot to work with, either. He also isn't a sympathetic character, so his death struck me more as an idiot getting what he deserved than a tragedy.  It was also cool to see Wesley Snipes--sometimes you forget about how many actors actually got their start (or a push) from Miami Vice. 

I give the actress who played Carla props--her story was the most interesting; a girl on the streets, knows little else, is accustomed to beatings and abuse, and despite all the help sent her way still ends up in the same spot because that's all she knows. The actress plays her role with a nice dichotomy of innocence vs street smarts, like a little girl who doesn't know much about life but has learned the rules of her environment. Best, most telling moment: when she collapses to the floor during "Butch's" tirade. This episode could've been stronger with even greater exploration of the Carla character and her plight. 

As others pointed out, PMT does a great job here, too. I'm surprised he didn't show up in TV or movies more often in villainous roles--he does a great job of portraying angry/out of control (see "Red Tape" as well). 

I think, in the end, this episode missed some opportunities and hurt itself by using Johnson's music. 

• Like 1

• 7 months later...

I didn't like it (4/10) and why was it that Jan Hammer stopped creating new cues for episodes in season 3, I notice it more and more in this season that they use old cues from the previous seasons. 

Edited by RedDragon86

26 minutes ago, RedDragon86 said:

Boring, stale episode (5/10) and why was it that Jan Hammer stopped creating new cues for episodes in season 3, I notice it more and more in this season that they use old cues from the previous seasons. 

Whenever there was an Asian episode for example they just borrowed more or less everything from the Golden Triangle episodes. Did Jan become less interested after season 2?

He was burnt out. He didn’t even want to come back for season 3 (or 4?), but they made him an offer he couldn’t refuse when they couldn’t find anyone they liked to replace him. 

There are some episodes with new cues, like The Good Collar and Viking Bikers. Same with season 4. 

Also, the audio fidelity was much better in seasons 3 and 4, so there are some previously indiscernible sounds that can be heard in the rehashed cues. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, Dadrian said:

He was burnt out. He didn’t even want to come back for season 3 (or 4?), but they made him an offer he couldn’t refuse when they couldn’t find anyone they liked to replace him. 

There are some episodes with new cues, like The Good Collar and Viking Bikers. Same with season 4. 

Also, the audio fidelity was much better in seasons 3 and 4, so there are some previously indiscernible sounds that can be heard in the rehashed cues. 

I think if he was getting paid well he had a responsibly to create more. Maybe they should have approached somebody like Klaus Schulze if his heart wasn't in it anymore.

1 hour ago, RedDragon86 said:

I think if he was getting paid well he had a responsibly to create more. Maybe they should have approached somebody like Klaus Schulze if his heart wasn't in it anymore.

I’ll take burnt-out JH over anyone. :) 

• Like 2

On 7/24/2019 at 8:24 PM, Dadrian said:

I’ll take burnt-out JH over anyone. :) 

Very true! what suggested there would be deemed as blasphemy in the MV world :)

• Haha 1

• 5 months later...

I love "Streetwise"! The song! :)

When DJ says Yeah, oh that voice. :happy:

But I don't recall the episode being bad. Haven't watched Miami Vice in a long time now. 

Edited by summer84
  • Sad 1