Episode #54 "Streetwise"

Ferrariman

Although the episode wasn’t top notch, it continued what I felt was superior writing in season 3 to the majority of the first two seasons. It seemed that they got consultants in that had an understanding of what was actually taking place on the streets and the drug scene in Miami and worked it into the story lines. I don’t know all references, but I think Better Living Through Chemistry was the earliest I can remember hearing the term “crack.” Everything just felt grittier and darker, which was the right tone for the times. To me, season 2 started to become less serious, with a ton of non-actor guest stars like Phil Collins, Bill Russell, Frank Zappa, etc. This was not a show to cut their teeth on in the acting realm and it felt cheapened.

Back to Streetwise itself, terrible opening with the song, but it got better as it went along. Gina looked amazing in the skin tight outfit. Wesley Smipes was excellent and sufficiently viscous as a pimp and Bill Paxton was passable. I have to think this was filmed before Aliens, given that his hair is long in the episode but a military buzz cut in the film? Or am I misjudging how long it takes to grow your hair out? Predictable ending, but it is what it is.

7/10

• Like 1

Yeah, the opening song was cringey as... even back in the 8oies

Otherwise it is a solid and tragic episode

• Like 1

I agree a good solid episode - good locations based mainly in Miami Beach for this episode. 
Jan Hammer’s score was excellent and the scene - editing in the cafe with the whole team was sublime.  10 out of 10.:happy: