Episode #54 "Streetwise"

Ferrariman

Well I really enjoyed this ep. It felt like a Season 1 episode.

To be honest I thought that the end was showing that Gina did cocaine in her spare time haha.

Wesley Snipes TV debut

The shootout was great, the cars were beautiful. I'll give it a 9

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, Sebax said:

To be honest I thought that the end was showing that Gina did cocaine in her spare time haha.

I’m always amazed they chose that visual in such an already strange sequence of shots with the cast speaking faces not shown. Then we see Tubbs in that terrible hat while not undercover. Otherwise, a great episode, for me. 

I like the episode. A lot of fun. I suppose my only nitpick is this was around the time Zito was killed. Maybe they should've had a few darker themed episodes to show the team coping with the loss. Before season 3 ends, the only thing we get is Swietek telling Tubbs he thought of quitting after Zito was killed (in "Red Tape").

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, TylerDurden389 said:

I like the episode. A lot of fun. I suppose my only nitpick is this was around the time Zito was killed. Maybe they should've had a few darker themed episodes to show the team coping with the loss. Before season 3 ends, the only thing we get is Swietek telling Tubbs he thought of quitting after Zito was killed (in "Red Tape").

I really enjoyed the episode too - a lot of night time shooting and good locations. Had a Season One vibe to it with good direction by Fred Walton.

I wish we could have seen more Tubbs as “Butch”. :cool:

This is a fun episode, but the ending really make you feel empty. Romano gets killed and Carla is back on the street. Well, at least she looked good! :clap:

Another side note, I really like that teal-ish blazer Sonny wears. Black shirt, dark gray (or possibly black) pants, black shoes, and the teal blazer. Cool look!

• Like 1

This is a really cool shot. They loved showing off Miami Tower before and after it was finished.:)

Istreet20.jpg

• Like 5

This is example how this season lacked discipline in areas, Michael Mann's attention to detail was missed. Tubbs rugby tackling the fat guy running who resembled Lardass Hogan out of Strand By Me was ridiculous, Stan busting in on a guy with a leash around his neck like they were waiting for him. One of the hookers whistle to her pimp (with gloves on as well) :o straight down the street but he was actually around the corner, and some how he saw it? Tubbs looked silly wearing that hat in the testerossa, Trudy singing :eek:

Don's rock star full of himself acting in this and a good portion of season 3 is off putting. 

Edited by RedDragon86
  • Like 2

S3 definitely has that vibe like when the teacher leaves the room and the students run wild. :wuerg:

It's still good but there's little details that are off.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Vincent Hanna said:

This is a really cool shot. They loved showing off Miami Tower before and after it was finished.:)

Istreet20.jpg

Awesome shot indeed! I like Crockett’s “mirror image”. Heh heh. And Miami Tower is beautiful.

• Like 2

• 6 months later...
On 7/7/2020 at 9:58 PM, AndrewRemington said:

Awesome shot indeed! I like Crockett’s “mirror image”. Heh heh. And Miami Tower is beautiful.

Shot from the top floor of the Wachovia/ SE financial plaza downtown - obviously chosen to showcase the Miami Tower which it does perfectly.

Watched this episode last night - very good.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/25/2019 at 3:38 AM, RedDragon86 said:

I didn't like it (4/10) and why was it that Jan Hammer stopped creating new cues for episodes in season 3, I notice it more and more in this season that they use old cues from the previous seasons. 

While I agree Jan started recycling cues from older seasons, I think this score is used to greater effect in this episode than One eyed jack.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

This one's a pretty cool and fun episode to watch...one I like viewing each time. Wesley Snipes and Bill Paxton are awesome guest-stars, and Snipes makes the perfect "Silk"! His fashion in this one was off the charts 80's pimp. :) But the fashion, with Trudy & Gina's clothes, to everyone else was awesome!

The style really seemed to sizzle in this one too, as the lighting and the colors for backgrounds were superb! :glossy:The action was pretty cool too, with gun fights, car chases, fist fights, etc... Then you have continual witty dialogue for everyone involved...as it was a Vice case that took them right into the middle of 80's seamy/seedy Miami. :cool: 

Love the cars in this one as well, with Crockett's Testarossa--and I think a stunt one was definitely used during some of it, but I especially love Silk's "Teal-Mobile"...an old 1976 Pontiac Gran Prix, that if one was ever painted in the "MV" color scheme this is it! :p 

Overall a good "seedy" Vice episode, and with the action, cars, humor, but especially because of the style and colors...I gave it a 7! :clap:

F05B1040-AFB6-4E03-982C-2EC20675A155.jpeg

Silk’s 76 Pontiac Gran Prix—with the Michael Mann paint job. :D

Edited by ViceFanMan
  • Like 1

• 3 months later...

I guess this is the "Little Miss Dangerous" of Season 3, but not as good or interesting.  But it's OK once you settle down and watch it through.  An observation: How pathetic and non-exotic street vice looks in the bright starkness of day.  

It's pretty fun to watch our crew (especially Tubbs and Trudy) move in and shake up the established pimp hierarchy.  

I don't have much to say about "Streetwise."  It's a meat-and-potatoes episode: Watchable, but no classic.  Happily, "Forgive Us Our Debts" and "Down for the Count" are coming up.   

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
On 2/8/2021 at 1:16 AM, fakespyder said:

While I agree Jan started recycling cues from older seasons, I think this score is used to greater effect in this episode than One eyed jack.

It cannot be when you think "One Eyed Jack" in general is lightyears more superior episode. 

And it didn't help seeing Wesley Snipes breaking dancing when he got shot.

Untitled.png.1a316b1723107e820af031c5db38d301.png

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, RedDragon86 said:

It cannot be when you think "One Eyed Jack" in general is lightyears more superior episode. 

And it didn't help seeing Wesley Snipes breaking dancing when he got shot.

I agree, I would've rather seen Wesley Snipes sliding into second base instead; more base for Blade please, he's gotta jet! I did like his mask in that spot though (not COVID good, but for 1986 it gets the job done). Really though, not a great shoot (Snipes gave it the ol' Reggie Miller scissor kick; they should've cut that out).

• Like 1

It's really hard to believe that this is Bill Paxton who was excellent in "Aliens" the year before, he is such a wet rag in this. 

His performance was that uninspiring and boring they should have put him in that metallic coffin in "The Big Thaw" instead.

Badly written episode as well  "Tropical sky's" why would Tubbs say that at the dead of night? they were just trying to recapture that moment at the beginning of OEJ but it made no sense.

And Stan handing out warrant's like he was handing free hot food "get them while their hot" "there you go" "there you go"

Edited by RedDragon86
  • Like 1

From what I could piece together from all the interviews and docus on film-making, very few actors/actresses are genius-talented or are the principle-key tool in the show's success, not nearly the way the Hollywood moguls always think about them.  We the fans think that wrong thing about the performers too.  
The success of an episode or film needs first the GOOD scriptwriting.  It then needs a consistently skilled director---and if the script is poor or lacks good dialogue, the skilled director can still work some miracles to improve it (often with crafty manipulation of his actors, if they are intelligent and willing).  But the actors come LAST, and are usually least-beneficial to the process.  (I used to think they are the MOST beneficial, not least,...jeez, but I was wrong).
So Bill Paxton was great in Aliens (I agree), because James Cameron was a director at the near top of his abilities, using a dynamite entertaining script,... and EVERY performer in that film seemed to be picked just right and perfect in their individual outputs (right down to the pair playing Spunkmeyer and Ferro flying the dropship).  
When you bring Bill Paxton into a Vice episode, even though he's got skill, no good script lines and a director off his ball will permit Bill to produce a bad performance.  Nice story idea, but not well enough written and not well enough executed under the director they had.

• Like 1

On 11/5/2021 at 5:04 PM, Augusta said:

From what I could piece together from all the interviews and docus on film-making, very few actors/actresses are genius-talented or are the principle-key tool in the show's success, not nearly the way the Hollywood moguls always think about them.  We the fans think that wrong thing about the performers too.  
The success of an episode or film needs first the GOOD scriptwriting.  It then needs a consistently skilled director---and if the script is poor or lacks good dialogue, the skilled director can still work some miracles to improve it (often with crafty manipulation of his actors, if they are intelligent and willing).  But the actors come LAST, and are usually least-beneficial to the process.  (I used to think they are the MOST beneficial, not least,...jeez, but I was wrong).
So Bill Paxton was great in Aliens (I agree), because James Cameron was a director at the near top of his abilities, using a dynamite entertaining script,... and EVERY performer in that film seemed to be picked just right and perfect in their individual outputs (right down to the pair playing Spunkmeyer and Ferro flying the dropship).  
When you bring Bill Paxton into a Vice episode, even though he's got skill, no good script lines and a director off his ball will permit Bill to produce a bad performance.  Nice story idea, but not well enough written and not well enough executed under the director they had.

Bill Paxton is not himself in this, maybe it was the uninspiring story. 

Edited by RedDragon86

On 11/5/2021 at 7:42 AM, RedDragon86 said:

I never noticed Wesley Snipes death looking so ridiculous before that screenshot you posted. It happens so fast in the show that it doesn't look as bad as that shot makes it out. I mean, if he'd stayed in that position then yeah, I'd be like wtf?

2 hours ago, RedDragon86 said:

Everything changed after Rico's funeral, it was typical TV, predicable and generic.

Feels a little harsh but I respect your view.

Personally I think there are plenty of gems in the following seasons. But yeah, s1 and 2 will always be the series' highlight for most.

• Like 2

On 11/5/2021 at 10:06 AM, RedDragon86 said:

It's really hard to believe that this is Bill Paxton who was excellent in "Aliens" the year before, he is such a wet rag in this. 

His performance was that uninspiring and boring they should have put him in that metallic coffin in "The Big Thaw" instead.

Badly written episode as well  "Tropical sky's" why would Tubbs say that at the dead of night? they were just trying to recapture that moment at the beginning of OEJ but it made no sense.

And Stan handing out warrant's like he was handing free hot food "get them while their hot" "there you go" "there you go"

This season gets praised for it writing but I think sometimes in episodes they talk too much and needs to just get the point.

Honestly, I have to agree with you; I thought Paxton did a lot of fine work (love him in "Near Dark", he's finger-lickin' good there), but I do feel that there's something missing with his character, and Vic Romano is for sure more wet than even I am right now (too many showers...outside!). I don't know, I've always been dumb about gals, but Romano seems so lost that even his character can't find itself. I'm glad you pointed this out RedDragon86, I feel less alone about this nagging thought now (maybe part of it is that Carla doesn't do much for me, and even worse, she's basically set in her ways. No fun to be had with Carla, Romano died in vain in playing the savior;().

• Like 1

On 11/6/2021 at 2:36 AM, fakespyder said:

I never noticed Wesley Snipes death looking so ridiculous before that screenshot you posted. It happens so fast in the show that it doesn't look as bad as that shot makes it out. I mean, if he'd stayed in that position then yeah, I'd be like wtf?

Feels a little harsh but I respect your view.

Personally I think there are plenty of gems in the following seasons. But yeah, s1 and 2 will always be the series' highlight for most.

Season 3 is still a very good season, still better than any show the 80's but in my opinion season 1 & 2 is the best television I have ever seen, it is so groundbreaking. Twin Peaks comes in second then probably Breaking Bad.

I remember first watching the show for the first time in 2007 and I was just blown away with the pilot and the episodes that came after that. The combination of the Jan's cues, excellent choices of music, the indescribable vibe, drama/stories, style, tension and emotion was something totally new and this began in 84'. Way ahead of its time.

• Like 2

• 1 year later...
On 11/8/2021 at 4:33 PM, RedDragon86 said:

Season 3 is still a very good season, still better than any show the 80's but in my opinion season 1 & 2 is the best television I have ever seen, it is so groundbreaking. Twin Peaks comes in second then probably Breaking Bad.

Battlestar galactica is very good too. with Olmos in a main role. And an absolutely astonishing James Callis btw too. just for the performance of that guy the series has to been seen IMO

people nowaday don't realize that in the eighties gold was pretty cheap

Honeyview_qgNYBbyNBq.thumb.jpg.794f9ddc0eb9701d5a37e9662983a0a1.jpg

• 4 months later...
On 11/6/2021 at 11:08 AM, Eillio Martin Imbasciati said:

Honestly, I have to agree with you; I thought Paxton did a lot of fine work (love him in "Near Dark", he's finger-lickin' good there), but I do feel that there's something missing with his character, and Vic Romano is for sure more wet than even I am right now (too many showers...outside!). I don't know, I've always been dumb about gals, but Romano seems so lost that even his character can't find itself. I'm glad you pointed this out RedDragon86, I feel less alone about this nagging thought now (maybe part of it is that Carla doesn't do much for me, and even worse, she's basically set in her ways. No fun to be had with Carla, Romano died in vain in playing the savior;().

In terms of being a fascinating prostitute character you care about, Carla was no Jackie.  (Or Candy, for that matter!)