Episode #53 "Baby Blues"

Ferrariman

1 hour ago, Matt5 said:

third- degree

I don’t recall the source, thus how much accuracy is there—you know how things can get exaggerated...

2 hours ago, Dadrian said:

I don’t recall the source, thus how much accuracy is there—you know how things can get exaggerated...

I hope it was exaggerated. Third Degree is pretty bad. Poor guy. And the insurance company would have been flipping out.

• Like 1

I will say all those Season 3 clothes had high polyester/rayon/acetate content. When that stuff ignites on skin it can be pretty bad. 

58 minutes ago, Dadrian said:

I will say all those Season 3 clothes had high polyester/rayon/acetate content. When that stuff ignites on skin it can be pretty bad. 

Isn't that scary! :o Wow. Hope the guy made a quick recovery. 

• Like 1

vor 11 Stunden schrieb Dadrian:

The source is the production report of this ep that I own. Ernie Robinson even had to cease his stuntman career due to that injury. 

https://miamivice.fandom.com/wiki/Ernest_Robinson

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/nbcblk/breaking-bones-breaking-barriers-black-stuntmen-honored-new-smithsonian-n652851

• Thanks 2

@Tom I don’t see anything here about the “degree” of the burns, as we were discussing above. Did I overlook that info in your links? Thanks for the links, btw. The wikia is definitely where I double-checked my info originally. 

vor 3 Minuten schrieb Dadrian:

@Tom I don’t see anything here about the “degree” of the burns, as we were discussing above. Did I overlook that info in your links? Thanks for the links, btw. The wikia is definitely where I double-checked my info originally. 

The production report stated „hospitalized due to severe leg burns“. I could not find a published link with that info that fast but I read it again just a few weeks ago.

• Like 1

• 8 months later...
6 minutes ago, RedDragon86 said:

Just realized that the girl who runs out of the bus with her baby at the beginning is Florence Italy. 

Is it? I just watched this ep last night and didn’t notice. Could be!

6 minutes ago, AndrewRemington said:

Sure looks like her.

Untitled.png

Edited by RedDragon86
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, RedDragon86 said:

Just realized that the girl who runs out of the bus with her baby at the beginning is Florence Italy. 

1 hour ago, AndrewRemington said:

55 minutes ago, RedDragon86 said:

Sure looks like her.

Untitled.png

It’s her. I didn’t realize this wasn’t common knowledge till now. The fandom wiki needs to be updated, and any other resource that doesn’t say so. 

screen cap from IMDb:

FA3F338F-E8BB-452A-AF10-0CB6D22E389A.jpeg

Edited by Dadrian
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, RedDragon86 said:

Sure looks like her.

Untitled.png

Wow! Yeah, that’s gotta be her! I think I didn’t realize it as she doesn’t look as happy or “glam” as she did in “Florence Italy”.

Am 18.10.2019 um 03:51 schrieb mjcmmv:

Isn't that scary! :o Wow. Hope the guy made a quick recovery. 

No he did not. In fact his name was Ernie Robinson (born 1939) and his career as a stuntman was over after that incident. 
I have the daily production reports of that episode (It says: „hospitalized due to severe leg burns“ thus this info on the internet is probably all due to that) and can confirm that the incident and its outcome was no exaggeration.

PS. for those interested: Robinson played Tubbs‘ brother in the pilot. More pictures of him with PMT and EJO are here: https://www.nbcnews.com/news/nbcblk/breaking-bones-breaking-barriers-black-stuntmen-honored-new-smithsonian-n652851

Edited by Tom
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Tom said:

PS. for those interested: Robinson played Tubbs‘ brother in the pilot. More pictures of him with PMT and EJO are here: https://www.nbcnews.com/news/nbcblk/breaking-bones-breaking-barriers-black-stuntmen-honored-new-smithsonian-n652851

Family Guy weather man voice*

VIDEO GONE!

• Haha 1

vor 5 Minuten schrieb Dadrian:

Family Guy weather man voice*

VIDEO GONE!

But the pics with Ernie Robinson and PMT/EJO are still there.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Tom said:

But the pics with Ernie Robinson and PMT/EJO are still there.

Ahh I remember now: the blue “continue reading” button (on my phone anyway). :thumbsup:

Great stuff. I’d forgotten about this article (and it wasn’t very long ago when it was posted in a similar discussion here :) )

• 1 month later...
On 7/7/2020 at 4:21 PM, AndrewRemington said:

Wow! Yeah, that’s gotta be her! I think I didn’t realize it as she doesn’t look as happy or “glam” as she did in “Florence Italy”.

Ah ha!  I thought that was her.  Now we just need to identify who played Susan Fisk - the woman Stan flirts with.  :dance2:

vor 1 Stunde schrieb Jack Gretsky:

Ah ha!  I thought that was her.  Now we just need to identify who played Susan Fisk - the woman Stan flirts with.  :dance2:

No problem. She usually works at Benny´s jewelry store in "Home invaders".

18 minutes ago, Tom said:

No problem. She usually works at Benny´s jewelry store in "Home invaders".

We’ll talk about what she looks like some other time :p

• Like 1

• 6 months later...

Jan's fresh score is the star in this good but average episode.

I think DashN from the old Jan Hammer.net site did a cover...Maybe it was Rick Leon. I have a copy of it. While not as exact as Dadrian's stuff, it is a nice cover of the main action theme.

I like the slower theme used throughout as well. They're both great melodies and I think were only ever used in this episode, so kind of makes it unique.

babyblue_cover.mp3

• Like 1

Wow, I didn't know Florence Italy was the woman with the baby on the bus, but it's confirmed by the posters here and IMDB (she's uncredited; oh, and look, I get to use IMDB for something again!:-). Wow, so Marilyn Romano was in "Invasion U.S.A." as well? Hmmm...

This episode was actually the last one I recorded off Centric channel back in 2011 (some others I had to view via Netflix). I mean, this is sad, hard-hitting stuff, but this is one time the humorously ironic titles of Season 3 doesn't completely click for me. The title 'Baby Blues' sounds to like an alternate title to "Mr. Mom", not a vice episode about child smuggling and illegal adoption. but the story? I think it's Season 3 primo stuff (i always say about this season though, that if it has any flaws it feels to me like it may be a bit too clinical in demeanor at times and keeps the audience at a distance. But I also feel the writing in the episodes is the best of the five seasons).

vor 8 Minuten schrieb Eillio Martin Imbasciati:

Wow, I didn't know Florence Italy was the woman with the baby on the bus, but it's confirmed by the posters here and IMDB (she's uncredited; oh, and look, I get to use IMDB for something again!:-). Wow, so Marilyn Romano was in "Invasion U.S.A." as well? Hmmm...

This episode was actually the last one I recorded off Centric channel back in 2011 (some others I had to view via Netflix). I mean, this is sad, hard-hitting stuff, but this is one time the humorously ironic titles of Season 3 doesn't completely click for me. The title 'Baby Blues' sounds to like an alternate title to "Mr. Mom", not a vice episode about child smuggling and illegal adoption. but the story? I think it's Season 3 primo stuff (i always say about this season though, that if it has any flaws it feels to me like it may be a bit too clinical in demeanor at times and keeps the audience at a distance. But I also feel the writing in the episodes is the best of the five seasons).

Interesting that you bring up the title, as I had the same thinking when I first heard it 30+years ago. But then, I remembered that "Baby blues" is also a medical (or just colloquial?)  term describing the sometimes weird and counterproductive baby-neglecting/rejecting unintentional behavour of some mothers due to post-birth hormone issues. So, I came to the conclusion the title is a good reference for what actually happened, as the crooked ambassador mentioned that some mothers gave their babies away for money and reconsidered later. Also, some parents just "bought" new babies after they died (that´s what Mr. De Marco admitted). True or not in reality, but it was a fitting and a bit ambiguous title though IMHO. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Tom said:

Interesting that you bring up the title, as I had the same thinking when I first heard it 30+years ago. But then, I remembered that "Baby blues" is also a medical (or just colloquial?)  term describing the sometimes weird and counterproductive baby-neglecting/rejecting unintentional behavour of some mothers due to post-birth hormone issues. So, I came to the conclusion the title is a good reference for what actually happened, as the crooked ambassador mentioned that some mothers gave their babies away for money and reconsidered later. Also, some parents just "bought" new babies after they died (that´s what Mr. De Marco admitted). True or not in reality, but it was a fitting and a bit ambiguous title though IMHO. 

I see your point, like how people can have seasonal blues (actually called SAD!) and in that context and your explanation it makes a lot of sense. It just seems to me that it sounds like a title that isn't taking things seriously enough, like it's making light. There was a good reason for the sadness of this episode when it comes to the mothers being portrayed here for sure; testament to preying on a vulnerability & a certain need to cash in. I'm really glad this episode was made, and its content is one of the many reasons why I believe this show is amazing.

• Like 1

vor 1 Minute schrieb Eillio Martin Imbasciati:

I see your point, like how people can have seasonal blues (actually called SAD!) and in that context and your explanation it makes a lot of sense. It just seems to me that it sounds like a title that isn't taking things seriously enough, like it's making light. There was a good reason for the sadness of this episode when it comes to the mothers being portrayed here for sure; testament to preying on a vulnerability & a certain need to cash in. I'm really glad this episode was made, and its content is one of the many reasons why I believe this show is amazing.

I also think it´s a great episode, actually one of the best scripts of the whole series and one of the reasons why I love season 3 and cannot share the Dick Wolf criticism of many fans (not only for the realism and importance of the topic, but also how they managed to convincingly involve the VICE department on this type of case, which originally would not end up at their doorstep by definition). And, as to not serious enough by title: that´s what I mean with ambiguity. There are two sides to this issue: the mothers were taking the matter=their babies very seriously, but the traffickers on the other end of the stick did exactly the opposite (De MArco: "he treated them like puppies..."). The title reflects that double edged knife topic very well in my view. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Tom said:

I also think it´s a great episode, actually one of the best scripts of the whole series and one of the reasons why I love season 3 and cannot share the Dick Wolf criticism of many fans (not only for the realism and importance of the topic, but also how they managed to convincingly involve the VICE department on this type of case, which originally would not end up at their doorstep by definition). And, as to not serious enough by title: that´s what I mean with ambiguity. There are two sides to this issue: the mothers were taking the matter=their babies very seriously, but the traffickers on the other end of the stick did exactly the opposite (De MArco: "he treated them like puppies..."). The title reflects that double edged knife topic very well in my view. 

Wow, that's true, a trafficker like Howard Famiglia (a good choice for a last name considering his alleged occupation) was just going through the paces without a conscious, running his game & counting his green while the cases and adoption proceedings are filled with people whose emotions are very fragile & personal. Heck, even Angela Mitchell develops a conscious (Edward Vasquez just cared about how it would affect his career and political standing). Emotions ran high in this episode: thanks for bringing up Stanley Tucci's Steven DeMarco character, as he was a male window into what this activity was doing to people who were attempting to adopt.