Jan Hammer for Dummies

Dadrian

Just wanted to say a quick thanks for listing the episodes that the tracks on the Complete Collection were first heard in, very helpful for me!

• 1 year later...

Emu IIOh my god !! i just realised, watching this episode again ( love at first sight, part 2 ), here with the ward brothers "madness of it all"

that "Dirty laundry" is also played into it, and this means that the Emulator II Sampler i have, which belonged to Don Henley, and also to the group Berlin, has been heard in Miami Vice !!! because it was used on this album, building the perfect beast, and i recognize him. still have the big flight case wiith DON HENLEY in white letters And it also was on "Take my breathe away" from Top Gun !!! Still working !! receiving all banks from Windows 7 by now ! ha ha.Love my emu II, it wrote a part of the 80's !thanks to Dadrian to have lead me here, it's a wonderful site.i'm thinking of proposing an excell file about synths and synth presets for some jan hammer tones, so everybody could update it if they want. i'm so ready to create some new jan hammer songs, new creations, like Dadrian.from now, what i know from Dadrian is that the famous jan's guitar tone is from the DX7 "guitar 2" patch. the tone from the beginning of Lombardi's trial is also the DX7 with the "clavinet" patch. i didn't check all this.a lot of PPG Wave 2 was used too.i'd like to find most jan hammer sounds. and doing some music, some fun ^^ i did such work about the big blue movie , music from the great Eric Serra. found most presets used, even the dolphin sound ! DX7 ... noted everything in an excell file. Best,Adrien
  • Like 1

Awsome information Dadrian!Thanks for posting.I was always interested in the keyboard sounds of the 80's.By the way... I have another Jan Hammer edition where he works with Neil Schon formally of Journey. I have a song called "Don't Stay Away" Its a kind of red album cover and very rare!I always liked colaborative works like that as I am a big "Schon" fan and enjoy works like Vangelis and Jon Anderson too.

• 3 years later...
Am 5.1.2009 um 19:02 schrieb Dadrian:

glad to help, ivory.my contact at Arturia said they are currently working on a virtual memorymoog, and he asked me to be a beta tester. i am very excited about this. i'll post any news on this as it develops.as for fairlight sounds, pm me if you want those.

Wow, how did that pan out, Dadrian? From what I know a Memorymoog emulator was never released. Arturia only has the Mini V (Minimoog) and the Modulator V out. There is one Memorymoog VSTIs available that I know of - it is called MemoryMoon. It sounds really nice and only costs 30$!  
Unfortunately it doesn't feature the MemoryMoog factory sounds. Those are pretty hard to hunt down....

Do it take it corrctly Dadrian that you try to emulate these sounds by tweaking around with your Juno and Triton? Isn't that hard to do? I'm not really into the tweaking thing....but I guess it's kind of unavoidable at some point and I've been getting a bit into it. I have noticed that Korgs and Rolands from the 80s do have similar sounds so yeah, that's a good way to go.
Also, do you work with any DAWs?

Either way, thanks for the information in this thread, it helped me a few months ago. :)

• Like 1

Never heard back from Arturia on that ;(

I tried the Memorymoon. Some nice sounds, but I never got the big warm MM sound. 

Yes, I've used my TRITON and Juno-106 to get some decent emulations, but there again, just not a MM. 

I used Sonar for everything that you've heard on my MV stuff. 

I now use Studio One with Presonus USB box. Very simple. I'm by no means a sound engineer. 

• 1 year later...

I think I used a TC Electronic T300 or something on my earliest covers. Then there was the virtual Lexicon Pantheon reverb on some of the later ones, and also some generic Sonar reverb. 

Now I use a Lexicon PCM 70 to get those dark gritty echoes like Jan’s 200. I will buy a 200 to replace the PCM 70 one day at the right price. The PCM 70 sounds great for the money though. 

• 4 months later...
1 hour ago, Crockettt said:

Original "Koto patch" on DX7 sounds different, so i think Jan modified it a bit.

It was never a Koto patch. It was on one of his cartridges (not a factory cartridge). I have the patch, but I can’t remember what it was originally called, as I renamed it “Crockett” or something many years ago. It always sounded closer to the harp patches than anything else, but it’s still very unique and unmistakable. 

• Like 1