What's Up!

newport beach

Why Miami Vice? Those of us that grew up in the Laguna Beach, Corona Del Mar, Newport Beach area this series means more than you think. We actually saw the cars, the boats, and the night clubs come to life every day. Back in the day we had Bobby McGees that was right next to the Porsche dealership. What a blast. Just a note. Not one car in the series was not seen by all of us. Yes even Stan's T bird. We now have something called Cars & Coffee. Yes they have a website. Cars are all over this place. The boats too. At the time there were 3 Miami Vice edition scarabs in the harbor. :D

Bobby McGeesIt was a night club. The locals used to say that Miami Vice copied us as far as the boats and cars. That's why I kinda get a giggle everytime I see a night club scene in Vice. We had another one called Promises. The girls wore a 1 piece swimsuit with white jackets and nylons. Promises was defintely very MV. :D

It was a night club. The locals used to say that Miami Vice copied us as far as the boats and cars. That's why I kinda get a giggle everytime I see a night club scene in Vice. We had another one called Promises. The girls wore a 1 piece swimsuit with white jackets and nylons. Promises was defintely very MV. :D

Thanks for the info. Oh, how 80's inspired, with the girls dressed like that! :D

Hello and welcome!Hey, we have a Newport here in Belgium too (spelled Nieuwpoort which is Dutch for Newport)... but it's far far from being as exciting as you described.:D:)[ATTACH=CONFIG]4039[/ATTACH]Like you can see in the picture, it's a bit like Miami, but then without the cool surrounding buildings (and without the Bobby McGees, cool cars and I don't think I ever seen a Scarab there...).:D:p

post-10471-13892963671792_thumb.jpg

4039[/ATTACH]Like you can see in the picture, it's a bit like Miami, but then without the cool surrounding buildings (and without the Bobby McGees, cool cars and I don't think I ever seen a Scarab there...).:D:p

What a lovely picture. I love the colours, especially the touch of greenery. :thumbsup:Did you take this photo, yourself?

What a lovely picture. I love the colours' date=' especially the touch of greenery. :thumbsup:Did you take this photo, yourself?[/quote']Not personally no, but I also thought it had nice colors.;)

Welcome to the best Miami Vice forum on earth, newport beach! You're going to really like it here! Enjoy!@Philippe, that Nieuwpoort photo looks amazing, too. I can't remember visiting that place, though - is it far from Brugge?

Welcome to the best Miami Vice forum on earth' date=' newport beach! You're going to really like it here! Enjoy!@Philippe, that Nieuwpoort photo looks amazing, too. I can't remember visiting that place, though - is it far from Brugge?[/quote']About 40 km from Brugge, for your info I'll added some Google maps info:http://maps.google.be/maps?saddr=Brugge,+Flemish+Region&daddr=Nieuwpoort&hl=en&ll=51.151786,2.581787&spn=1.905415,3.532104&sll=51.130699,2.750243&sspn=0.119144,0.220757&geocode=FfxmDQMdsiMxACkNQh7B0FDDRzH3TYPIWvOiGg%3BFUsxDAMdI_cpACnRCDruYLvcRzFgWU0vq5kABA&mra=ls&z=8

I grew up in Newport too...Welcome Newport Beach.I was born in Hoag Hospital. The house I was raised on is right on the beach (one of the few that hasn't been torn down and maximized for the lot size.)I went to high school in the '80s and watched Miami Vice on many a Friday night since I wasn't the most popular in my high school. Trying to be cool, I hosted a couple parties at my beach house when my mom was outta town. Walked in on more then a couple people doing coke in upstairs bedrooms and even on the washer/dryer in the garage, haha. I remember the nightclub Promises in the late '80s/early-'90s. I think it was in the Lido area.I used to go to NYC and a couple other hot spots. But I mainly would make my own little Miami Vice paradise at the house. It looked alot like an episode of Vice at sunset, with the sun reflecting off the ocean and a few boats on the horizon. I still run out to look if I hear a power boat on approach.

Welcome Newport Beach.I was born in Hoag Hospital. The house I was raised on is right on the beach (one of the few that hasn't been torn down and maximized for the lot size.)I went to high school in the '80s and watched Miami Vice on many a Friday night since I wasn't the most popular in my high school. Trying to be cool' date=' I hosted a couple parties at my beach house when my mom was outta town. Walked in on more then a couple people doing coke in upstairs bedrooms and even on the washer/dryer in the garage, haha. I remember the nightclub Promises in the late '80s/early-'90s. I think it was in the Lido area.I used to go to NYC and a couple other hot spots. But I mainly would make my own little Miami Vice paradise at the house. It looked alot like an episode of Vice at sunset, with the sun reflecting off the ocean and a few boats on the horizon. I still run out to look if I hear a power boat on approach.[/quote']
I love reading about people's experiences of living it up, in this era. :happy:Thanks CharlieGlide. Unfortunately, I wasn't quite old enough to enjoy the full experience. :cry:

Beautiful Brugge

About 40 km from Brugge' date=' for your info I'll added some Google maps info:[/quote']I went to Brugge in 1982. What an amazing city/town. Some day, I'm going to take my wife there. I went there with my mom right before I started high school. She didn't have any local currency and there was a woman in a local tourism office who gave my mom some coinage to make a phone call. I will always remember that woman's generosity in helping us at that time. Once my mom was able to get some money from a bank (this was before Euros, so you had to travel with the local currency or be out of luck), she went back and gave the lady her money back.And the canals were remarkable there. A well preserved medevil city.

I went to Brugge in 1982. What an amazing city/town. Some day' date=' I'm going to take my wife there. I went there with my mom right before I started high school. She didn't have any local currency and there was a woman in a local tourism office who gave my mom some coinage to make a phone call. I will always remember that woman's generosity in helping us at that time. Once my mom was able to get some money from a bank (this was before Euros, so you had to travel with the local currency or be out of luck), she went back and gave the lady her money back.And the canals were remarkable there. A well preserved medevil city.[/quote']Cool story CharlieGlide, nice that you still remember that so well.:thumbsup:I know the city like the back of my hand, so if you ever get here again let me know - we can have a few drinks and I'll gladly give you a guided tour.:radar:

Thanks to all fansHi everyone . I am pleased to be a part of a community where Vice can live on after so many years of being a memory in the minds of so many people .I began watching from the pilot and have never given up my love for the best show in television history . I look forward to contributing as much as I possibly can as MIAMI VICE is a passion for me . I am no longer singin those vice cop blues because I have a place to talk vice at nausium . Thanks to the moderators for creating this site .

Is there a forum on this board to discuss '80s experiences?

I love reading about people's experiences of living it up' date=' in this era. :happy:Thanks CharlieGlide. Unfortunately, I wasn't quite old enough to enjoy the full experience. :cry:[/quote']This quote got me to thinking...I love hearing other peoples' memories/experiences from the '80s, too. Even though I came of age in the era, I still like knowing other perspectives.Is there a forum on this board/site that I am not seeing where we can post such recollections?