Episode #52 "Better Living Through Chemistry"

Ferrariman

• 1 year later...

This one was weird...Shill, I noticed the black topped, blue bottom(s) when she answered the door for Rico-funny how the music changed- is this the one you were thinking of? Good music, bikes, eighties club fashion and poor leather..The girls dancing looked so outta place, they should have had hired actual dancers for this...The one in the white bikini they pushed off the stage looked so outta place, made me laugh...I like the story as a legal substitute would have prolly been in the works, yet there was too much going on. I'm with Tommy on this one-filler...I could really pick this one apart, yet I'm just gonna give this one a six....I loved Izzy's batman jacket and that black shirt with the blue/purple spots on it...Man, I just love the clothes in season three....Mike

pros: good locations. nice touch with the biker element. izzy is very funny, esp. in the "certain female members of your family" bit. nice song at the end ;)cons: bad acting by clarence and his girlfriend.all in all: not a bad ep. 6/10

I've only started to watch Season 3. So far, it's a very solid season, and generally much more consistently good than Season 2 was. That said, there were a few misses. This was definitely one of themThere was so much potential at the beginning. Tubbs' former partner is now DJing at a club that the Vice detectives are doing a meet at, and the partner sees Tubbs and outs him. Afterwards....actually, I'm not sure what the hell happens during the rest of the episode.Tubbs confronts his former partner (and sees his partner's girlfriend in the blue bikini). Tubbs has doubts. Some criminals are trying to manufacture artificial pharmaceutical-grade coke (or was it crack? I don't remember). The pharmaceutical "genius" looks like a complete dumbass throughout the episode. Tubbs' former partner kidnaps both the "genius" and his interpreter, Izzy.....for whatever reason. I still don't know why. The "genius" smokes his product and kills himself. Tubbs' former partner takes a "proof of life" picture...... :confused: Alright....just forget about it. If you can make heads and tails of this episode, more power to you. But to me, this episode was just awful - or as other have said, just filler. And may I add, total dreck. 3/10. :thumbsdown:

Guest neworder

I like this episode, perhaps more than I should, I'm not too sure why but overall I do enjoy watching it. I quite like the bikers, Mac is a decent character overall and the storyline is original and quite good in this episode. There's some good action too - the scene with Peter Gabriel's Sledgehammer is fantastic and I would probably put it in my top 10 Vice scenes of the whole series, I love it, great shoot-out, great music! The ending shoot-out is cool too. Music wise, good throughout and I love Hammer's music in this one, especially in the end sequence. So there are certainly lots of good things about this episode.However, I can see why a few of you here may dislike this episode. Clarence is a useless character and poorly acted and Izzy, as well as being enjoyable at times was also fairly annoying at times. I think this is an episode you have to take lightly. I'm not sure if they intended it to be an amusing episode, but I found myself laughing at a few points, sometimes at how ridiculous a few parts are e.g the Michael Jackson look a like scene I found pretty amusing but I'm not sure if they intended it to be, especially with the serious Hammer tones in the background.I do enjoy this ep and the sledgehammer scene is top class, therefore 8/10

I wasn't crazy about this episode. It also confused me. When Clarence & Izzy kidnapped the chemist I guess Clarence was acting on his own, not for the buyer Sangues who wanted to be Mac's Spanish partner. I didn't see Rico as being hypocritical. Basically, he is a by the book cop. When his brother was killed, he did what he had to do to get to Calderon. To his credit, he didn't blow Calderon away & his whole life & career, by the way. In "Better Living" we see a more mature Tubbs, who has learned a lot through his experiences with Sonny on Miami Vice. He did go to NY to find out the truth about his former partner. Things I liked : Izzy, as always, perks up an episode for me! The Biker Bar scene was cool and Izzy's line "I love Miami, man, it's like a cultural renaissance." The chic in the bar with the hair that looked like a pole sticking out of her head. The gunfights at the bar & at the end were exciting. Too bad the kid that looked like Michael Jackson & the chemist had to die from that junk cocaine! All in all, I rate it a 6 / 10.

Better Living in Chemistry original Review May 2007This is one of my favorite episodes. I enjoy the music and the humor in it. I also enjoy the comparison of Tubbs caring for his former partner, and Sonny worrying that Tubbs is not being realistic about his old partner. I would love to give this a 9 or 10, unfortunately I can’t. I’ll have to give it a 5.5 because of some glaring problems I had with it no matter how entertaining.The music is good and finally we have Born to Be Wild associated with Bikers! It was a perfect song to open up the whole biker bar with. It accompanied the action very nicely from Izzy’s actions with the chemist and his conversation with the DJ Babtiste. It also went well with Sonny’s interaction with Mac. This also opens up like a normal Vice episode Sonny’s undercover meeting with the bad guy, and Rico is being brought in or at least nearby. Everything goes haywire and we go from mundane to unusual. Rico’s ex-partner who doesn’t have good feelings about Rico announces to the whole club that Rico is a cop! Now would an ex-cop dismissed from the force in another town really harbor those violent a feelings that he’d put his old partner in danger? I found this hard to believe, I know he’s angry at Rico for not supporting him, but was he that naïve that he didn’t think Mac would kill him. I was surprised that they didn’t, that is I would have been surprised if it had been anyone else than Rico or one of the regular cast members. It’s obvious that everyone is stunned. Stan and Larry quickly act as they realize that Rico’s been made. Mac and the other guy that brought Rico looked stunned, Even Sonny was surprised but then quickly acted like he was going to punch Rico out because he was a cop, and obviously Sonny Burnett didn’t know that and was angry he had been taken in.It was a wonderful set up for the rest of the episode. Tubbs explanation to his colleagues and partner who Clarence Babtiste is Rico’s confrontation at Clarence’s house, and then his actions to clear his old partner when he found out from an IAB report about the possibility of a gun.I had three problems :1. Would Castillo been able to get a hold of a confidential IAB file that Even Rico’s request while he was still working for NYPD was denied?2 Would 24 hours have been enough to talk to NYPD get access to the prisoner, and then report back and convince NYPD or IAB to re-open the case? It seems to me this should have taken longer than the 24 hours Tubbs was given.3. When did Rico get so that several favors were owed him? The last thing we know Rico was persona non grata in NYC. Even in Prodigal Son he wasn’t given any kind of special status because he was an ex-New York Cop so when did Rico get all this leverage and status that he could help the prisoner and convince NYPD or IAB either one to re-open an 8 year old case that they had considered over and done with?The reason I like this episode so much besides the music, is Sonny’s undercover in most of this episode and his reactions when interacting with Izzy in Mac’s office. He looks amused at the whole thing about Sangras, as he listens to Izzy’s interpretation of Sangra’s request, and then especially the last part when Sangras evidently calls Mac a SOB in Spanish. The segway into Sledge Hammer and Mellie dancing at the club was also done nicely when the beginning of the music begins while Clarence is on the phone to Sangras.Rico was way too naïve in this one. He still trusted Clarence, even after he blew Rico’s cover to Mac. Sonny of course was there in Mac’s office when he heard Mac offer Clarence a lot of money to whack the cop. It was also interesting to see that Izzy knew the crime statutes probably as well as Sonny did. Izzy quoted it by number and what it entailed, also when he called Sonny to tell him that Luna was dead he said he wasn’t going down for it and he quoted Sonny the statute number. I like the ending when Clarence realizes that the problem wasn’t with Rico it was with himself. Rico still was standing behind him as a friend. After Rico’s actions, Sonny seems to support Rico’s decision but he still isn’t sure about it.10/20/2009 - I still have the same problems with this episode. I still like Sonny undercover and I still love the music, and even like Izzy really well in this episode. btw, I don't see the Michael Jackson character you're thinking of unless you're talking about the Black dude in the purple, Since we don't do half points here I'll have to up it to a 6 because the music and Sonny being under for this one is just too good for a 5.

I wasn't crazy about this episode. It also confused me. When Clarence & Izzy kidnapped the chemist I guess Clarence was acting on his own' date=' not for the buyer Sangues who wanted to be Mac's Spanish partner. I didn't see Rico as being hypocritical. Basically, he is a by the book cop. When his brother was killed, he did what he had to do to get to Calderon. To his credit, he didn't blow Calderon away & his whole life & career, by the way. In "Better Living" we see a more mature Tubbs, who has learned a lot through his experiences with Sonny on Miami Vice. He did go to NY to find out the truth about his former partner. Things I liked : Izzy, as always, perks up an episode for me! The Biker Bar scene was cool and Izzy's line "I love Miami, man, it's like a cultural renaissance." The chic in the bar with the hair that looked like a pole sticking out of her head. The gunfights at the bar & at the end were exciting. Too bad the kid that looked like Michael Jackson & the chemist had to die from that junk cocaine! All in all, I rate it a 6 / 10.[/quote']Tony, from what I understand. Clarence decided he was going to kidnap Mac's chemist and blame it on Sangues. He calls up Sangues and gets his guys there to fight it out with Mac's guys so that it will provide the perfect cover of getting Mellie, Izzy, Luna, and himself out of there. He asks Izzy if he and the chemist want to party at the beach and Izzy says lead the way. They leave just as Sanguez and his guys are arriving. Now I agree this part is kind of confusing. Did Izzy know at first that Clarence was kidnapping Luna and went along with him? or did Izzy in keeping with his contractual obligations to keep the client happy and help him with his social skills not to mention act as interpreter, go along and find out later that Clarence had kidnapped Luna. At some point Izzy had to have been in on it because he made the call and acted out the interrogation/extortion but he tells Clarence that he only went along with the theatricalization of the kidnapping. He clearly doesn't think it's his fault and even tells Sonny so. The fact that Izzy was locked up and kept prisoner also lends to the idea that Izzy wasn't really in on all of Clarence's plan. Sonny seems to believe him of course Sonny has a poor opinion of Clarence in the first place. I also wonder if part of Sonny's ready to believe Izzy had anything to do with Sonny being a little jealous at the way Rico regarded his expartner, Sonny's used to Rico and him being partners and close as brothers, It's obvious that Rico is ready to stand up for his ex-partner and even compares what he's doing to how Sonny would act if it ws Rico (Sonny's partner) instead of Clarence (Rico's ex-partner) that was being accused of something and in trouble.

I thought this was a good episode. My favourite scene was the nightclub shootout scene and I have to agree with Shill that Clarence Batisse's girlfriend parading around with not much on was an added bonus.Notice the obvious similarities between the nightclub shootout scene and the nightclub shootout scene from "Scarface". The scenes where the disco lights were falling down were essentially identical. Another example of Vice being heavily influenced by "Scarface".What confused me was that when Tubbs goes to see that Chemical Analyst (a woman), she tells him that this is the closest she's seen someone get to synthesising cocaine. Tubbs then immediately reports back to Crockett and Castillo "Tucker says it's the closest he's seen an underground guy get!".The guy who played Lucas (the con who Tubbs interviewed in New York) also played the official who showed Crockett and Tubbs Legba's coffin at the beginning of "Tale of the Goat".In this episode we see another one of those rare disagreements between Crockett and Tubbs. This time it's Tubbs being subjective by protecting his former partner. In earlier episodes it's been Crockett who's been the one who's judgement has been clouded by his friendship, e.g with Robbie Cannata and Ira Stone. In the scene where Tubbs says to Crockett "this was my partner Sonny. If it were me how straight would you be standing?". Notice how even Castillo looks surprised when he turns round to look at them. I'd be interested to know what building that building site that the shootout takes place at the end of the episode turned out to be. The area looks very close to downtown Miami, possibly in the Bayside area.I'll give this episode 8 out of 10.

• 1 year later...

I liked this episode. I gave it an 8, but that's a little high in retrospect. I think its a strong 7, but there's a few things I didn't like. I think this episode really marked the beginning of Sonny's required boddy count. Him taking down Mac was totally unnecessary. I think Sonny bagged 4 bad guys which is just plain rediculous by real cop standards. I mean I understand its not real, but at least humor me and make it somewhat rare that Sonny takes someone out. Still I liked Clarence especially that scene where he explains to Tubbs that it was weak of him not to have his back. I always pictured Tubbs as too straight laced especially to be Crockett's partner. Clarence's girl was hot.

• 1 month later...

I hate this episode, what an EPIC turd.At times, Clarence acted more like a jilted lover towards Tubbs.That scene between them at his place, with "Rico Blues" playing was a bit odd. Bad choice of music IMHO.4/10

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
What confused me was that when Tubbs goes to see that Chemical Analyst (a woman)' date=' she tells him that this is the closest she's seen someone get to synthesising cocaine. Tubbs then immediately reports back to Crockett and Castillo "Tucker says it's the closest [b']he's seen an underground guy get!".I'll give this episode 8 out of 10.
-lol well now you know it wasn't really a "woman" ;)
Him taking down Mac was totally unnecessary. I think Sonny bagged 4 bad guys which is just plain rediculous by real cop standards. I mean I understand its not real' date=' but at least humor me and make it somewhat rare that Sonny takes someone out. Clarence's girl was hot.[/quote']yep, I completely agree, the last shootout is a little cheesy lol you have the bearded "omish" guys falling on their backs flat everytime they catch a bullet, they jump back a little much, then Ctrockett and Tubs never get hit yet each of their bullets hits every covered target, not to mention Switek and Zito getting out of the van with no urgency parading with their shotguns in the lines of fire with no special concern to get behind a cover or run or...just like a morning lazy stroll after they just woke up...no biggie lol
I hate this episode' date=' what an EPIC turd.At times, Clarence acted more like a jilted lover towards Tubbs.4/10[/quote']Yeah, they were kinda close for comfort....and in the last scene, when Clarance tells him it's a set up, while shots are being fired -Tubbs are getting ready to take cover but clarance jumps on him, lands on the top, and the next scene they show him laying flat on Tubbs and staring him in the eyes-thats should be like a second and c'mon get up....but it seems little too extended for my taste lol :D

• 4 weeks later...

It's interesting why Better Living Through Chemistry doesn't appeal to a few people here. I get something out of this episode because the scenery is terrific, humour couldn't be better, style and design is grandiose.:glossy::cool:Of course, the plot can't stick with Stone's War, Shadow In The Dark, Killshot or The Good Collar, but in all honesty, the abovementioned episodes set a very very high standard. I don't know another TV-show which created 4 or 5 award-worthy episodes IN A ROW.:happy::happy:From this point of view of the plot is very good, comparable to many episodes of Season 1 and 2.Anyway, I especially like this episode due to its strong humour. Izzy is absolutely in his element. Starting with the scenes in his nest-like house through to the dialogues with "the genius" - nearly every scene with Izzy is too funny for words!:D:D:)Every time when I'm watching an episode where he appears, I think that he was a really "lucky strike" for VICE because he fits like wax to it!!!The story between Rico and Batisse is basically excellent, but it could be more extensive. I think this story could fill out a whole episode - without a subplot.For example Rico's and Batisse's history in New York is interesting, maybe a few flashbacks could have been integrated.I like Rico's visit in New York, attended by a special version of Marina. :radio: Nevertheless, the highlight of Better Living Through Chemistry is the club-scene with Sledgehammer by Peter Gabriel.This song is quasi made for this scene - perfect!At the end, we hear Jan Hammer's nice Free Verse - tune - pretty fine!!!All in all it's a great episode which I give 10 points due to fantastic humour and cool music.

i like this episode:thumbsup:, i find the story of the episode pantastic, :thumbsup:, only are a few movie scenarize in germany cut:cry:

• 11 months later...

I like this one! The plot is pretty cool, with some of Tubbs' past come back to "bite" him--and we meet a disgruntled former partner. Awesome beginning!! :clap:The bizarre chemist, along with the usual stupidity of Izzy added some humor. :) The action, gun fights, but also the acting and dialogue between Tubbs and Clarence was awesome! I like it that Tubbs helped finally clear Clarence (ironically since he originally helped convict him), but it was tragic that Clarence in his anger made a stupid choice now that will again send him to jail. :rolleyes:Also, what was up with the drug dealer's teeth? :eek: Okay, that guy had more money than he knew what to do with...and he doesn't fix his rotting teeth? Looks like he'd been sampling meth, rather than "Coke". :pThis also seemed to be one that showcased more of Tubbs' Caddy (which I always love seeing :thumbsup: )...but that's probably because it delt more with him in the storyline. Overall I like watching this one and I gave it a 7. :cool:

• 1 month later...

This episode seems very much like an unfinished draft. The idea that there is the potential for "legal" synthetic cocaine out there, and that it will create a drug war between the players, is taken over and/or confounded by the tension with Tubbs's old partner.The set-up of some master chemist is ultimately used as comedy for Izzie to schtick, not a real threat. And I almost wonder at some point if the writers or producers stuck the fact that the fink (Clarence) was Tubbs' old partner in there to make the double-cross more delicious. But the addition seemed to detract from the power of the other subplot. I never bought the threat of Sangres threatened by Mack, never bought Clarence's hate for Tubbs (he reveals this very late in the episode "I hated you man!"). There was a lot of "Huh? What? Oh, okay" for me in this ep.

• Like 2

This episode seems very much like an unfinished draft. The idea that there is the potential for "legal" synthetic cocaine out there' date=' and that it will create a drug war between the players, is taken over and/or confounded by the tension with Tubbs's old partner.The set-up of some master chemist is ultimately used as comedy for Izzie to schtick, not a real threat. And I almost wonder at some point if the writers or producers stuck the fact that the fink (Clarence) was Tubbs' old partner in there to make the double-cross more delicious. But the addition seemed to detract from the power of the other subplot. I never bought the threat of Sangres threatened by Mack, never bought Clarence's hate for Tubbs (he reveals this very late in the episode "I hated you man!"). There was a lot of "Huh? What? Oh, okay" for me in this ep.[/quote']I think the episode was supposed to be more about Tubbs' former partner and the tension between them because of the past. The synthetic cocaine is actually the sideline or "subplot". Not an all-time great episode but it's pretty good:
I like this one! The plot is pretty cool' date=' with some of Tubbs' past come back to "bite" him--and we meet a disgruntled former partner. Awesome beginning!! :clap:The bizarre chemist, along with the usual stupidity of Izzy added some humor. :) The action, gun fights, but also the acting and dialogue between Tubbs and Clarence was awesome! I like it that Tubbs helped finally clear Clarence (ironically since he originally helped convict him), but it was tragic that Clarence in his anger made a stupid choice now that will again send him to jail. :rolleyes: [u']Also, what was up with the drug dealer's teeth? :eek: Okay, that guy had more money than he knew what to do with...and he doesn't fix his rotting teeth? Looks like he'd been sampling meth, rather than "Coke". :pThis also seemed to be one that showcased more of Tubbs' Caddy (which I always love seeing :thumbsup: )...but that's probably because it delt more with him in the storyline. Overall I like watching this one and I gave it a 7. :cool:

• 10 months later...

Hmmm - the story was weaker but enjoyed the episode, visuals, locations, music and Clarence's babe. This was the third Peter Gabril song in 6 episodes from the album "So". 

7.5/10 :D  :)