Miami Vice as History

miamijimf

Here is a link to a research paper I wrote for a former professor who teaches a local history class at Miami-Dade Community College. As you know from 84 to 89 Vice inadvertently captured ordinary streets, landmarks, and the distinctive Miami culture. It is literally a snapshot in time. Vice’s unique video can’t be found anywhere else. Miami is probably the fastest changing area in the nation. Today’s population and environment has changed dramatically since the 80s and many significant structures are either gone or changed. My purpose is not to tell the story of Vice, that’s been done. I want to bring Vice to the attention of students, local historians, and those just interested in Miami. It’s a new way to see the show. Many know little about Vice and its impact so some intro is necessary. I believe Vice can be useful as a resource for the study of local history and development of one of America’s most important and unique cities, not just for entertainment. It has examples of what can be found in Vice and how to locate sites or activities of interest on the DVDs.It took me several months to write and I enjoyed researching the locations. Jeremy, Sue Clarke, Timm525, F-man, and other location sleuths were a big help. Thanks to KaeptnCaipi for loading it in the Downloads section of this site so students and others can have access to it. It’s about 36 pages with illustrations and has a rather large font. Comments welcome. If OK with Caipi I will update it as I learn more about Vice. I already see some typos and stray numbers that didn't translate well from Word to a pdf file. To read it go to this link and click on Download. http://www.miamiviceonline.com/downloads.php?do=file&id=410ttp://

I think what you did is a great idea, as not many cities got the attention that MIAMI got, and had it's locations, and buildings shown in such a great way...even those that were captured on film, but no longer exist.MIAMI VICE is a 1980's time capsule.The South Beach Art Deco district looks as great as it does today BECAUSE of MIAMI VICE. The show truly changed the city for the better in it's reputation, and recognition world wide.Thanks to, .....MIAMI VICE.

• Administrators

Awesome paper Jim! I'm glad we finally managed to add it to the site! :thumbsup:

I just read the ENTIRE thing, and wow, was that entertaining, and educational! :clap:It's History, MIAMI VICE history, building history, infomation, and lots of things that I didn't know!I'm not an expert on Miami locations, so this was interesting, and fun. I learned a lot.Sad to see so many VICE locations no longer exist, but was equally happy to learn that a great many still do!I encourage members here to read it!Consider it officially "COOP APPROVED!"

I just read the ENTIRE thing' date=' and wow, was that entertaining, and educational! :clap:It's History, MIAMI VICE history, building history, infomation, and lots of things that I didn't know!I'm not an expert on Miami locations, so this was interesting, and fun. I learned a lot.Sad to see so many VICE locations no longer exist, but was equally happy to learn that a great many still do!I encourage members here to read it!Consider it officially "COOP APPROVED!"[/quote']Thanks Coop and others. I had fun writing it. As a Miamian and history major, Vice has always been more than great entertainment to me. Hopefully students of local history and those nostalgic about the 80s or just interested in Miami will find it worth reading.

I tried to download the file' date=' but I only got the message: Invalid File IDDoes someone know what's wrong?[/quote']Just discovered you have to register and log in before you can get to that section.

I have downloaded your paper and I am going to read it when I have more time to translate some words into dutch so I can understand it a bit better.But I have scrolled thru it and it looks good!

I am pleased your paper is on here, Jim. I have enjoyed reading it & I am sure it is going to give a lot of people a deeper insight into the show's impact on the city. Well done!

• 4 months later...

Thanks guys. Ell.a has translated the paper into German. I am honored that she thought enough of it to take the time. Man that language has some long words. To see the German version click the downloads button at the top, under latest files click on Vice as History Deutsche Fassung, then click on the pink download button.

Just read the paper, after downloading it. Brilliant, not only for a history but documenting how great an influence the show had on the city. MOst people think of how "Miami Vce" revolutionized TV production. But, I think, this reinforces the major impact it has had on the city. Thanks again.:clap::clap::clap:

• 1 month later...
Just read the paper' date=' after downloading it. Brilliant, not only for a history but documenting how great an influence the show had on the city. MOst people think of how "Miami Vce" revolutionized TV production. But, I think, this reinforces the major impact it has had on the city. Thanks again.:clap::clap::clap:[/quote']Very true:D

• 1 month later...

Invalid File IDI have tried over and over to download and ready this file but I keep getting an error saying "Invalid File ID" then I am redirected to a page where i can not download anything....What and I doing wrong??? Thanks!

I have tried over and over to download and ready this file but I keep getting an error saying "Invalid File ID" then I am redirected to a page where i can not download anything....What and I doing wrong??? Thanks!

The download button only allows the member to view it on their screen not to download it to their computer. It is copyrighted and is only for viewing and reading on this web site. It works fine.

The download button only allows the member to view it on their screen not to download it to their computer. It is copyrighted and is only for viewing and reading on this web site. It works fine.

I can not even read it on this site. Nothing in the 'Latest Files' section works. I keep getting redirected...I do not want to download the file I just want to read it. Is there another link?

• 6 months later...
Did the unique and famous Plymouth Hotel at 336 21st St ' date=' Miami Beach ever appear in MV ( even in b/g ) . Cant recall seeing it :D[/quote']the scene in MV shot closest to the Plymouth was 326 21 Street. There Crockett&Tubbs got into the limo of the vigilante cops in "Over the line". But I can´t recall seeing the Plymouth in the background as it is on the same side of the street, but a little further down.