New member to the 10mm world, I will probably make a lot of enemies here....

jama555

But anyway, I have to share my new find here: I picked up a S&W 1006, 10mm new in box, never fired, with original box, spare spring, instructional manual, and 3 factory original magazines. It even has the adjustable, factory, original sights. Trigger is absolute perfect. Not sure if factory orginal or done at S&W. Anyway, What are the chances? I could not miss this opportunity.I know it is not a Bren Ten, but I am sure that Burnett would have carried one, given the chance.I picked it at the Dallas Market Hall Gunshow, Dallas, TX. Might be interested in parting with it, if the offer was fair.Sorry, I have to brag here, but anyone else would do the same. Just curious where it compares to the Bren Ten, especially with adjustable sights. Eingefügtes BildEingefügtes Bild

Nice find. You could have been an FBI man back in the 90's with that one! :thumbsup:

Thanks. You could eat off of it.... Never seen one with adjustable sights before. Could not believe someone actually sold it. Take care. John

If you need any reloading data you should stop by here as they've got atleast 3 guys really devoted to the cartridgehttp://www.roguechristian.com/brenten_forum/index.phpwho would be more than happy to help any new to the 10mm fan get set up for the cartridge in particular the shadow who has all of the 10mm smith and wesson ever made, including the 1046 that they only made a 151 of in the early 1990'shttp://smith-wessonforum.com/smith-wesson-semi-auto-pistols/76806-smith-wesson-10-series-photo-thread-5.htmlalso this might be worth looking at http://www.gunblast.com/10mm.htmhttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U-ClEZPs8 osremove the space between the 8 and the s, for some reason an emoitcon keeps poping upfor me though I kinda already bought a considerabile purchase of .45 acp ammo so its going to be a 645 or a 4506, plus I seldom see any 10mm ammo around and the only one I've shot at the range was a glock 20 which strangly felt like I was shooting a 9mm, must have been a light load as to the bren ten I think this is as close as ill ever get if one ever shows up:http://www.justpistols.co.uk/bren10.htmalthough I gotta wonder if what that kid says is true that they might actually feel pretty close to each other with the real deal, another reason to go with an early 4506 like this one I guess if it ever shows up in MAhttp://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=246955855and get the slide polished like Crockett's oh and also on that note look at the bottom post, the 1006 doesnt look bad hard chromed either: http://www.ar15armory.com/forums/lofiversion/index.php?t74955.htmlactually how much did you pay for that 1006?

Thanks. You could eat off of it.... Never seen one with adjustable sights before. Could not believe someone actually sold it. Take care. John

All great resources. Got to love that early 4506 for sale. It has the early trigger guard. About the price, I paid $550.00 for it. It appears, as stated, to be original, new in box, and never fired, except by S&W. I was a little flexible on the price, since it could not be in better shape, has an extra magazine, and somebody, probably, S&W, did the best trigger job known to man. SA/DA is flawless. I will be keeping this badboy.Take care. John

That pistol is flippin sweet man.Nice find! I'll bet you can't wait to get to the fireing range.By the way, don't worry, brag. Brag away. I would with a unused beauty like that!You must be thrilled!I have yet to buy a pistol (fired many types of guns). Not sure what I will ultimately choose.Was waiting for the new version Bren Ten, but my hopes diminish with every passing day.Great find Pal! :thumbsup:

That pistol is flippin sweet man.Nice find! I'll bet you can't wait to get to the fireing range.By the way' date=' don't worry, brag. Brag away. I would with a unused beauty like that!You must be thrilled!I have yet to buy a pistol (fired many types of guns). Not sure what I will ultimately choose.Was waiting for the new version Bren Ten, but my hopes diminish with every passing day.Great find Pal! :thumbsup:[/quote'] Thanks. She is a nice piece. I would still go with a nice 4506 or 645. Unfortunately, I go to many of the gun shows in Dallas, TX, and the vintage guns are drying up and the prices on the others are going up.3rd generation S&W are getting harder to find even at the shows. Best of luck on your search. I would not hold my breath on the new bren ten coming out, and even if it does, is the customer service going to take care of you?JohnTake care. John

Thanks. She is a nice piece. I would still go with a nice 4506 or 645. Unfortunately' date=' I go to many of the gun shows in Dallas, TX, and the vintage guns are drying up and the prices on the others are going up.3rd generation S&W are getting harder to find even at the shows. Best of luck on your search. I would not hold my breath on the new bren ten coming out, and even if it does, is the customer service going to take care of you?JohnTake care. John[/quote']Yeah, I may have to look at some other gun.I'm the kind of guy that always has to have things that are the envy of others, or something really rare. I'll give it some thought, as I'm not in the gun market right now. This would be for a purchase in the future, not right now.

Thanks and you are in Texas Jama so you could use gunbroker to pick up the other two and have them brought in if you really want them, I have to admit if I found a 1006 for 550 even with the problem of finding or making ammo I'd be really tempted to pick one up myself.and I really need to make space in the locker before I get one of the two and get the money togther so its a future purchase as well for me, although semptember 1st is the gunshow here so if I get rid of the colt series 80 NM right before it I should have more than enough to completely cover the purchase price with that one and I dont really think I'd need to hold on to the Colt 80 with a battered kimber gold cup in the house.and with the fortis, Ive found just like that 2012 thing its best not to think about it and just pretend like theres no chance either are going to happen.

Thanks and you are in Texas Jama so you could use gunbroker to pick up the other two and have them brought in if you really want them' date=' I have to admit if I found a 1006 for 550 even with the problem of finding or making ammo I'd be really tempted to pick one up myself.and I really need to make space in the locker before I get one of the two and get the money togther so its a future purchase as well for me, although semptember 1st is the gunshow here so if I get rid of the colt series 80 NM right before it I should have more than enough to completely cover the purchase price with that one and I dont really think I'd need to hold on to the Colt 80 with a battered kimber gold cup in the house.and with the fortis, Ive found just like that 2012 thing its best not to think about it and just pretend like theres no chance either are going to happen.[/quote'] And given the rising prices of handguns, you cannot go wrong with the Glock. I have the Glock 21, in 45 ACP. I replaced the barrel with a bar-stol, and lightened the trigger pull. It is not as cool looking as the S&W 3rd gen autos but they are reliable, and accurate enough.If it were me, I would hold off on buying the Fortis till I got solid reviews on the gun, the company, and the customer service department. The Bren Ten is a solid gun, let's home the new offspring is just as good and hopefully the magazines are cheaper.

I don't know with Glocks I just dont really have a fondness for them anymore and I'm thinking of looking into seeing if that piece that protrudes from the trigger that activates the safe action can be smoothed out or removed on my first gen Glock 17L so you dont know its there when your firing the gun and I need to get the extractor tuned so it doesnt throw cartridges out in every direction like it is now.its thrown about 3 - 4 of them at my head during my range sessions with it each timewith the Fortis I think its going to take more than a few good reviews with it to get atleast the group over at the Bren Ten Forums to give it a shot (and righfully so) so it'll probably take atleast 3+ years of A+ work and service from Vltor for anyone to give them a fair shot, plus the EAA Witness mags its supposed to use arent known for having a good reliability record along with the gun itself, where two of the Bren Ten Forum members reported having not one or two bad guns, but three or four guns with slide and frame breakages all normal Wonderfinish models it seems but not the Match and hunter ones like thesehttp://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=247704102http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=247325045 so just having the name EAA witness associated with the new fortis doesnt inspire confidence with them along with all of this jerking around and putting the project off for no good god damn reasonhowever I can not a 100% say I wouldnt be tempted to jump at one if I saw it at a local gun shop, looking like thishttp://www.flickr.com/photos/isaac_marchionna/4298489119/ however just like Crockett said in "Definitely Miami" which I just watched again the other night, the head and the heart rico, I'd like to get them together just once and that's pretty much how I feel over the whole affair.I'd like to believe that there going to be able to make a 100% reliabile all across the board bren ten with good customer service but I just know better from their actions and I know there not serious about bringing it back to begin with as... well I'm starting to think that maybe Vltor figured they'd be able to ride on the popularity of the Miami Vice film to promote their product as it seems like as soon as the film came out they announced the project which was at about the same time I got into Miami Vice because they showed the pilot as a promo for the film back then.its a theory but I think there is some sort of truth behind it and also despite having the gunsight logo on the prototypes gunsight said they didnt know anything about it when one of the bren ten forums guys contacted them directly about it when they announced they werent going to have it on the finished product.as to why I wrote off the EAA witness well I just really dont want a shot in the dark that has that bad of a modern track record, D and D can be excused for it as they were just starting up, didnt know what they were doing and when they got it right it was like nothing else out there (not unlike Miami Vice in an odd way) but with EAA its been in production for a number of years and there still having problems with their normal models, all which could have been fixed if they threw more money at it.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=247704102http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=247325045 so just having the name EAA witness associated with the new fortis doesnt inspire confidence with them along with all of this jerking around and putting the project off for no good god damn reasonhowever I can not a 100% say I wouldnt be tempted to jump at one if I saw it at a local gun shop, looking like thishttp://www.flickr.com/photos/isaac_marchionna/4298489119/ however just like Crockett said in "Definitely Miami" which I just watched again the other night, the head and the heart rico, I'd like to get them together just once and that's pretty much how I feel over the whole affair.I'd like to believe that there going to be able to make a 100% reliabile all across the board bren ten with good customer service but I just know better from their actions and I know there not serious about bringing it back to begin with as... well I'm starting to think that maybe Vltor figured they'd be able to ride on the popularity of the Miami Vice film to promote their product as it seems like as soon as the film came out they announced the project which was at about the same time I got into Miami Vice because they showed the pilot as a promo for the film back then.its a theory but I think there is some sort of truth behind it and also despite having the gunsight logo on the prototypes gunsight said they didnt know anything about it when one of the bren ten forums guys contacted them directly about it when they announced they werent going to have it on the finished product.as to why I wrote off the EAA witness well I just really dont want a shot in the dark that has that bad of a modern track record, D and D can be excused for it as they were just starting up, didnt know what they were doing and when they got it right it was like nothing else out there (not unlike Miami Vice in an odd way) but with EAA its been in production for a number of years and there still having problems with their normal models, all which could have been fixed if they threw more money at it.

All agreed upon. Basically, I still trust the most, the 3rd generation S&W autos, for their durability and reliability. They were heavier, which was the chief complaint, but when you deal with stainless steel vs plastic and aluminum, weight is always an issue, but steel will outlast some of these, cheap, plastic throwaway guns.Some of my police department friends like the Sig Sauer. I have no experience with these guns so I cannot say that they are good or bad. The reviews about the Sigs are good.Now, my standpoint on the Glock. Not pushing anyone to buy, because I was there, fighting buying one. I now have a Glock 21, in 45 cal. Not the coolest looking gun, nor the most accurate, but it will survive falls, sand, dirt, salt water, and still fire, kind of like the AK-47. I would suggest that anyone who wants to buy or own a Glock, buy the book: The Gun Digest of the Glock, 2nd Edition. It answers every question, addresses every issue, and helps you decide if the Glock is for you. For the cost, it is reliable, accurate, easy to fix and accessorize. Plus, the kick is half of what a steel frame.Now, for the safety removal of the Glock Trigger Assembly: Not recommended. The Glock was built and designed a certain way. Tampering or adding a new safety is a risk I would not take. You will void the warranty, and more importantly, the gun may become unsafe. Instead of tampering with your first generation Glock, sell it instead, and try out the new, 3rd generation Glocks. You can rent them at the your local gun range. My 45 holds 13+1 rounds, but fits my hands great, and I don't have big hands. The grips are nicer, and OMG, it is so much easier to clean.The Glock is perfect as it was designed. The only thing I changed was a new barrel, 3.5 lb disconnector with new trigger job, new recoil springs, and the armorer plug in the handle. The rest is just flash.Just my 2 cents. Take care. John

what do you mean that the third gen is easier to take down and clean? I thought they all took down the same way.and with the 17L its a first gen with german proof marks which means its a really old one, probably just as old as the one crockett used in the third season and pretty much the only glock I've liked out of the 3 I've had, the 19 was just like the 23, you could never tell where the damn thing was shooting. while the 17 feels pretty damn controlabile compaired to the two and feels like you could shoot it blindfolded and put all of the rounds in the bullseye, although the grip was slipery so I put a hogue handal grip on it and I just want to see if maybe a glock armorer can change that pivot in the trigger that operates the safe action for a latter model one for the same gun thats radiused so it doesnt bother my trigger finger as much yet it still operates just fine. along with the extractor, now that I know can be tuned so it doesnt do that

what do you mean that the third gen is easier to take down and clean? I thought they all took down the same way.and with the 17L its a first gen with german proof marks which means its a really old one' date=' probably just as old as the one crockett used in the third season and pretty much the only glock I've liked out of the 3 I've had, the 19 was just like the 23, you could never tell where the damn thing was shooting. while the 17 feels pretty damn controlabile compaired to the two and feels like you could shoot it blindfolded and put all of the rounds in the bullseye, although the grip was slipery so I put a hogue handal grip on it and I just want to see if maybe a glock armorer can change that pivot in the trigger that operates the safe action for a latter model one for the same gun thats radiused so it doesnt bother my trigger finger as much yet it still operates just fine. along with the extractor, now that I know can be tuned so it doesnt do that[/quote'] I meant that the Glock is so much easier to clean than the S&W autos, sorry I was not clear on that.The 3.5 lb disconnector makes a much smoother trigger pull. There are after market, aluminum triggers you can buy, from www.deltaforce.com. Just realize that you can spend as much on accessorisizing a used glock vs buying a new one, even with modifications.Take care. John

Well the thing is that the reason why I went with the 17 longslide is because its a match version of the 17 with an already very nice trigger that was just as nice as the browning high powers single action trigger if not more so while the 19 was meh and the 23 was good.so its not the trigger that bothers me, its only the safe action pivot, although I'm going to try a solution to it on my next range run, putting electrical tape over it, its ghetto but it seems to work and it still alows the safe action bit to work and its not really too much of an issue because that gun is a range only pistol, not a carry pistol.although that aluminium trigger is definitely worth considering as an option from the looks of it.anyways thanks for your help.

Well the thing is that the reason why I went with the 17 longslide is because its a match version of the 17 with an already very nice trigger that was just as nice as the browning high powers single action trigger if not more so while the 19 was meh and the 23 was good.so its not the trigger that bothers me' date=' its only the safe action pivot, although I'm going to try a solution to it on my next range run, putting electrical tape over it, its ghetto but it seems to work and it still alows the safe action bit to work and its not really too much of an issue because that gun is a range only pistol, not a carry pistol.although that aluminium trigger is definitely worth considering as an option from the looks of it.anyways thanks for your help.[/quote'] Sounds like a safer alternative. BYW, I am seeing my S&W 645, if you are interested. Take care. John

Thanks but I cant bring anything post 1961 handgunwise in (50 years for C and R to apply, unless its a bren ten because D and D been out of business for 20 years, since 1985 - 1986) because of the attorney generals aproved firearms roster, its not as bad as california where you have to wait 10 days to pick it up in MA (they did try to pull that on us thought) but we do have the stupid trigger locks to contend with and his stupid drop tests where something like 3 of every model have to be drop tested and pass for it to be brought in, basically he used consumer safety laws to ban as many handguns as possibile and till we get an atorney general who gets rid of that crap I cant really bring anything great in unless C and R appliesbelieve me I wish I could have bought alot of great handguns from the kittery trading post in maine in particular but because of that it can only be rifles or shotguns, nothing else really.

I understand. I live in Texas and I guess I am spoiled about the ease we have it here to buy, sell or trade guns.Anyway, Thanks for the great conversation. You would be blown away how many people own in texas, and how many.Well. Take care. John

I know from what my father who worked down there for a couple of years in the 1990's while my family lived up north said it was gun heaven, same thing with my brother who lives down there now.but as Clarkson on top gear says when something goes wrong "still could be worse" from what I've heard the new york gun laws are insane and completely bonkers where they dont recognize any other gun permit but their own and you basically have to be aproved by the mayor to have one from what I've heard and read although that was awhile ago.or california with that 10 day waiting period, the fact that you cant even put a threaded barrel on just because you might be able to put a supressor on it even though it might be a key piece of a compensator for something like a 1911 or the HK usp match and I think they were one of the ones that renewed that normal capacity magazine ban as well

Try living in Washington DC or Chicago, where it takes an act of Congress to even own a handgun, especially in the city.My friends out of state, tell me that only collectors of firearms can have the number of guns, that many private owners in Texas, have for themselves.I know people who own legal full auto, and with suppressors, in this very, gun friendly state. Just got to fill out the paperwork and pay the tax stamp.

hmm I actually forgot about how bad it was in those places, just on that alone it makes those places a no go atleast when it comes to living there as if theres one thing I couldnt live without its recreational handgun shooting.

Update on the S&W 1006. I bought aftermarket Hogue grips and planned to send the gun to my gunsmith to install them. After watching youtube on how to do it, I thought it would be easy.Well, it turned out to be harder that I thought it would be: The screws were too short; the holes on the grips, to place the screws, were misaligned; and I had to file down the inside of the grips to make sure both grips, once placed, were equally symmetrical. I had to buy extra screws, and redrill the holes, and grid down the inside of the grips. After 2.5 hours of tedious work, I did finish it and turned out great. I did keep the original grips, just in case, I sell the gun, not that I am planning on it.

One thing though about hogue rubber, it seems to absorb your body heat and make the grips feel sticky over time (and not in a good way) and that goes for both their revolver and semi auto gripsso if the hogue grip doesnt feel right to you it might be a good idea to either look into the 1026/1076 grips although one of them may need to be trimmed for the right side safety or hogue wood grips although that guy with the hard chromed one said he tried them and it broke on him and I've taken both grips that I bought from them off of the guns they were ment for, although It took awhile to find a pachmayr presentation grip for an old Dan Wesson 357, but it made all the difference in the world with that gunand pretty much all of my smith and wesson revolvers have pachmayr gripper grips on them.

Thanks for the update. I have the hogue grips on my S&W 4506, 4586, and now the 1006. I live in Texas and go to the range in summer, so I am used to the grips by now. My 645 has the pachmayr grips as well. I just like the curved feel vs the flat back of the traditional 3rd gen, factory original grips.All my other revolvers have hogue grips as well. My Desert Eagle has factory original grips, and so does the Glock and I am fine with all that. It was challenging to get the grips to fit the 1006. I had to file the inside of the grips, get longer screws and redrill the holes in the grips. Thank god for Youtube. I go the baseline instructions from them.