Drive - Appears to have a Michael Mannesque look - I'm in!

sredd

I saw it today, really good. It reminded me of movies from the 70's and 80's; long takes, no hyper Michael Bay style editing. Performances, cinematography, soundtrack - excellent.[ATTACH=CONFIG]4731[/ATTACH]

post-21-13892963854819_thumb.jpg

Good to hear...I am so sick of quick cuts in editing and all the blue screen cgi. Those movies are made for a five year old to keep thier attention span to last more than three minutes.Great to hear the movie has a good plot. Can hardly wait to see it.oh...and you mentioned a Mustang. I love Mustangs.......................

• 4 weeks later...

I saw this movie. It does have a Mann-esque quality to it. I really liked the pace of the film. It was refreshing after all the flash on modern TV.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Drive clearly evoked Miami Vice. In fact, it was closer to the original show than Michael Mann's 2006 effort.Has anyone heard of Kavinsky, he contributed a couple of tracks to Drive. He's the closest thing to 1980s Jan Hammer (but in the modern era) that I've ever heard.Listen to these:

FANTASTIC! Universal should make a new Miami Vice movie with Don Johnson and Philip Michael Thomas and a small group of hot upcoming actors (i.e. reboot rather than remake), and get Kavinsky to score the film.

FANTASTIC! Universal should make a new Miami Vice movie with Don Johnson and Philip Michael Thomas and a small group of hot upcoming actors (i.e. reboot rather than remake), and get Kavinsky to score the film.
Love the song used for the opening credits sequence, it's on my ipod.Drive could indeed go on to be one of(if NOT) the best film of this decade.Like I consider "Collateral" to be for the previous one.

• 3 weeks later...

Nightcall is on The Licoln Lawyer Soundtrack.

That is really :cool: I love this song and used in the video creation a tribute to Miami Vice awhile back

• 1 month later...

Definitely one of the best movies in recent years. Drive is a masterpiece and there isn't anything that I don't like. Perfect script, great acting, mindblowing soundtrack and atmosphere. If they really are doing a sequel like it's been said, I hope that it would as awesome as the original.And yes, this movies is a must see for every Michael Mann and Miami Vice fan.

oh grat movie :thumbsup::cool:

eh I dont know to me this kind of seems like a modern remake of an old film called The Driver with Ryan O Neil back from 1978

http-~~-//www.youtube.com/watch?v=43zcvKPnc60

and this isnt what the film is famous for either' date=' its this bit with the Merc from later on in the film:

http-~~-//www.youtube.com/watch?v=L78AwbNthF8

and while those were great and heavily influenced the driver series of games, one of which just came out called Driver: San Fransisco the film and its charachters just seemed kinda dead outside of the primary car chases and while I heard the opening scene was good and something different for Drive there I dont think I'll be looking this up any time soonplus they kinda chose the one Kavinsky song I dont care for, go figure.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B3uszxvNTHk
these I like, that one I didnt care forhell I even get the same sort of vibe from it in its minamalistic tones compaired to the driver, something I honestly didnt care for from a lot of films from that time period, like with the Mechanic or Death wish

Been waiting patiently for months for this epic to come to theatres here in the great white north. NADA..................................................................................?Theatres here play all the kiddie movies and the 20 something crap that Hollywood churns out of their meat grinder.Low and behold I am walking through the mall and I see the DVD for sale at HMV for 26bucks!!! WTF?Sorry not paying no 26 bucks for dvd. I wanted to see it on the big screen, in fact I would have paid large to see it on the IMAX screen if it ever played there!!!ARE ANY MOVIE EXECUTIVES LISTENING?apparently not!Looks like I'll be waiting another six months to see it as soon as the DVD become somewhat reasonable to afford to buy.Oh yes ... we have no Blockbusters left in Canada as they all closed down. Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm is there anything else I can bitch about?

ARE ANY MOVIE EXECUTIVES LISTENING?apparently not!Looks like I'll be waiting another six months to see it as soon as the DVD become somewhat reasonable to afford to buy.Oh yes ... we have no Blockbusters left in Canada as they all closed down. Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm is there anything else I can bitch about?

arent the wallmart dvds much cheaper than the ones at the mall? I dont really know how much they cost as I really havent bought any dvd's in quite some time.

arent the wallmart dvds much cheaper than the ones at the mall? I dont really know how much they cost as I really havent bought any dvd's in quite some time.

Walmart... - $24.99no thanks...and it's not even Blueray! Blueray discs are $32.99 but I only have a standard player so the BR doesn't even come into consideration.

Low and behold I am walking through the mall and I see the DVD for sale at HMV for 26bucks!!! WTF?Sorry not paying no 26 bucks for dvd. I wanted to see it on the big screen' date=' in fact I would have paid large to see it on the IMAX screen if it ever played there!!![/quote']Sorry to hear that. I didn't see Drive in theaters either since I didn't know about this movie before it was too late. I'm also amazed that Drive is so pricey in North America since you can get the DVD under 10 euros in Europe and Blu-Ray isn't much more than that. Usually it's the other way around. Anyway, hopefully the price drops fast so you can see this masterpiece.

Sorry to hear that. I didn't see Drive in theaters either since I didn't know about this movie before it was too late. I'm also amazed that Drive is so pricey in North America since you can get the DVD under 10 euros in Europe and Blu-Ray isn't much more than that. Usually it's the other way around. Anyway' date=' hopefully the price drops fast so you can see this masterpiece.[/quote']Me too! Being a "piston head" I love all car movies...Bluerays are always more expensive by about 8-10 dollars more just because it is BR. Regular dvd's that have been viewed once or twice can be bought at the video stores for as little as $2-$15 dollars in good condition.In my personal collection I own over 300 movies and I have picked and chosen very carefully what I purchase. I have never paid more than 15 dollars for a movie no matter how bad I wanted it.For example...I remember years ago the cult film "Rocky Horror Picture Show" was released and they had the audasity to ask 80 bucks for the movie! I was not going to pay 79.95 for any movie but six months later you could get them for five bucks.I will just wait a while until I can find "Drive" that's reasonable.

Walmart... - $24.99no thanks...and it's not even Blueray! Blueray discs are $32.99 but I only have a standard player so the BR doesn't even come into consideration.

what the hell? last time when I bought dvd's about 07 or 08 I could have sworn the HMV had them for about 15 bucks new and hell I even came across a super rare dvd of John Woo's The Killer out of dumb luck and that was new copy too!been meaning to looking into the better tommorow series on that same note FYI well maybe there using the economic downturn as a reason to jack up the prices?actually I think thats part of the reason why verizon ios has the option to rent the movies for about 4 or 5 bucks now over the system with no fuss at all along with a few other services like netflixbut I really miss the old video exchange, I probably rented that amount of movies alone including the whole bond series before it went under in 07 and became some useless clothing store.

Amazon has it for $14.50 plus shipping, If you buy at least $11.50 more, you can get free shipping. The other item has tro be eligible for the free shipping too, but a lot of things on the site are. I bought a new one off eBay for under fifteen with shipping.

Make that if you buy $10.50 more. I tried to edit the above post to change that, but it just gave me a blank box where I was supposed to edit. Anyway, good luck!