.org Memories!

COOPER&BURNETT

Here's a thread to tell us your .ORG MEMORIES!This is NOT meant to replace "The fat lady has sung" thread, but a companion thread to it, so you can share your memories, good or bad.

Sorry Pal...my memories have seem to have faded???I joined just before the sh!t hit the fan...so to speak. I have only a few good things to say such as meeting you and Ferrariman and Timm and then it was abandon ship to come here where I have had a great time!I can honestly say all I recall was the turmoil and the fear that I had found a site where I thought I felt comfortable and had knowledge it might all come tumbling down and all the material would be lost in cyberspace forever.(thus my immediate departure to this fabulous site)

.Org was the first website I ever joined, (This site is only the second site I have joined), and was instantly treated kindly. I made many friends there that I still have now.My first friend was DanJ. We got along quite well because we were both interested in the clothes Crockett wore.The thread I started on .org that drew the most views was "MARSHALL's HAS CROCKETT LINEN BLAZERS." I have no idea how many views it had now that the site is gone, but it was viewed many thousands of times. Perhaps 40 + thousand times, not sure as there is no way to check anymore. I started it again on this thread in the SCRAPBOOK SECTION, but it never took off on this site like it did on the .org site. Also, it was located in the GENERAL section on .org which I think was the most popular section on the site.

Sorry Pal...my memories have seem to have faded???I joined just before the sh!t hit the fan...so to speak. I have only a few good things to say such as meeting you and Ferrariman and Timm and then it was abandon ship to come here where I have had a great time!I can honestly say all I recall was the turmoil and the fear that I had found a site where I thought I felt comfortable and had knowledge it might all come tumbling down and all the material would be lost in cyberspace forever.(thus my immediate departure to this fabulous site)

The end was nasty, lots of infighting by generally the same members who always started problems.I was even called a racist by SROBAK one time! Can you believe this?? MIAMI VICE is my favorite show, which I worship, and has the most diverse grouping of nationalities in a show I have ever seen. How could I have been a racist? I loved everyone on the show! That completely wrong, unfounded accusation still angers me to this day.Glad he's no longer able to be a member here. :thumbsup:

I found .org & was delighted to find out I wasn't alone in my love of a tv show which I thought everyone but myself had forgotten. I joined at a time when the atmosphere was becoming strained so I rarely posted & just read a lot of the archives. I then found this site while it was still all German & I was pleased as the English-speaking site was set up as my memories of German language from my schooldays is distant!I spent many happy hours on .org as so much info had been gathered by members. I especially loved the massive shooting location section & reading the interactions between DanJ, Tommy, Jeremy and others as they had pinpointed the episode locations.

I mainly try to focus on the positives of .org, which was also my first web forum. But there's a huge part of me that still gets a probably-not-entirely-healthy kick out of slagging Rick Bravo, so I have to watch myself. After a while, once I'd solved the riddle of his raging DNA, it became entirely too easy to push his buttons and watch him self-destruct.

Although I joined miami vice wildhorse or chronicals, .org was the site that had the most posting members and I felt at home on. The Episode & DVD reviews attracted many fans who posted interesting and helpful information. I made many friends through that Forum alone. When weird & argumentative members posted, I tried to cut them some slack & explain away their behavior, for which I would be chastised, but on the whole remained friendly with mostly everyone including the troublemakers.This site is great, ( no fights or egomaniacs) but I wish there were more Episode discussions among fans. I also miss some of the old .org members who signed up here but never post.This site is now my home and i look for ways to improve it.

• Like 1

• Administrators

After buying my first PC way back around 2000 I did a search on Miami Vice. I was also surprised to find several fansites about it. Hey I was new to the internet so what did I know?! The first site that I really got hooked on was the now defunct vicefiles.com. It was a cool site with an ongoing trivia contest and several other neat features. It was also my first introduction to a complete list of music used on the show! After a while I had noticed that nothing changed. There were no updates, no new topics. Like .org it seemed as if the site owners simply abandonned the site so I moved on and my search led me to .org. This was around 2002 I think.Compared to vicefiles, .org was simply heaven! The site had everything you could want plus (old timers will remember this) a jukebox feature! Yes, you could click on any song from any episode and listen to it as you browsed the site! It was an awesome feature that, thanks to copyright laws, can no longer be used without facing heavy fines..org, in it's early days, was very much like this site today. A friendly atmosphere with members sharing info and simply enjoying themselves. Then, as with all sites, the trolls began to make their appearance and with no moderators except for Randolph (the site owner and creator) things got a bit out of hand. Randolph would ban someone who would then rejoin 5 minutes later. Randolph was barely around to control the situation so sometimes the trolls would have free reign for days or weeks until he checked in. Finally, a group of the senior members got together to find a solution. I composed an e-mail to Randolph listing all our complaints and yes even a few demands. His reply to me was "If I give you control of the site can you fix the problem?" The rest, as they say, is history. I was the first and only moderator of .orgThings ran smoothly for quite a while as I found my way around the inner workings of the forum. Then as time progressed Rick Bravo came onboard. Having worked on seasons 1 & 2 as a cameraman, he was the new shinning star of the site. He shared his personal stories and photos and became everyone's newest best friend. Then after a while things just went sour. Rick began displaying his true negative feelings towards Don Johnson and instead of answering fan questions he went on the attack. Fights between Rick and other members became almost a daily occurrance. Several other members jumped on his bandwagon and it all went downhill from there. With the site in limbo and Randolph nowhere to be found, nobody knew if the bills were being paid or not. org's future was uncertain at best. It was at this time that maimijimf contacted me. He had met with Chris (kaeptnCaipi) in Miami and told me that Chris was looking to start an English language version of .info, the German MV site, and asked if I'd be interested in running it. At the time I almost said no because of my devotion to .org but with the future uncertain I said yes and .ws was actually up and running within 2 weeks! Rick was eventually banned from the site which fired up a sh*tstorm, the likes of which I hope I never see again. The Thanksgiving Massacre of '08 was definitely a weekend to remember! Several others were banned and the site returned to a more peaceful place, but it was never the same again. The .org we all knew was gone forever. .ws actually went online on April, 17th of '08. (which by coincidence just happens to be Jan Hammer's birthday!) We had a bit of a slow start but then came the big war of Thanksgiving weekend in '08 when I was booted from my moderator position at .org. After that everyone saw the true colors of .org's new owners and followed me here. (I was doing double duty at the time) Since that weekend this became my one true home and we have grown in leaps and bounds.Looking back now I realize that had I said no, there would be no .ws and with .org now gone we'd all be left out in the cold! All in all, I wouldn't trade my years at .org for anything. It was a great learning experience and a stepping stone to what we have now!Whew!!

• Like 2

I think I joined .org when we had just started to review Season 3 a few years ago - maybe 2005 or 2006? Prior to that I had for several years randomly googled for MV and in particular the Burnett trilogy eps but found little available except for maybe the Vice Chronicles and there wasn't much in the way of discussion forums.It was so cool to find others to share thoughts with on the series - since the show stopped its initial airing on the BBC back in 1990 I think it was, I hadn't found anyone really who shared the same sort of passion and memories of what a fantastic show this was. Especially Season 3 which is when I started to watch the original shows regularly, although I'd caught a few eps from S1&2 it hadn't caught my imagination - mind you I was a bit of a youngling in 85 - still only 11 !I remember spending days compiling tables from fans' reviews and creating ratings tables for all the episodes as we reviewed them. It was a real blessing to have time on my hands in those days.Also loved spending hours reviewing the archives sections and threads on all sorts of crazy topics - especially loved the classic debates eg.was Crockett's killing of his wife's killer pre-meditated? Ah that whole idea still brings a smile to my face - you gotta remember this was the UK in the mid-80's - man this was revolutionary over here - all we had to compete was Juliet Bravo... :rolleyes:Then I also loved the people I met over there - we had some great times and a lot of goodwill was generated in them times before things soured. Hey gotta give PapaLegba a mention as he suggested I watch the Shield - damn that show was good!I looked forward to logging-in from home and work - luckily I had time on my hands even at work in those days! Sadly not so now - VERY rare...Anyhow a lot of all the above is available over here again so I look forward to the time when I can spend a little more time here once again. All the best for now guys, keep up the great work and commitment you have shown these last couple of years. :clap:

• Administrators
And I also remember SROBAK and all the craziness that ensued from that guy' date=' among a couple others. Those are the things we could ALL do without.[/quote']Seems like srobak made a lasting impression with a lot of people, too bad it was all bad! The guy could easily fill a topic all by himself.

I was even called a racist by SROBAK one time! Can you believe this?? MIAMI VICE is my favorite show' date=' which I worship, and has the most diverse grouping of nationalities in a show I have ever seen. How could I have been a racist? I loved everyone on the show! That completely wrong, unfounded accusation still angers me to this day.Glad he's no longer able to be a member here. :thumbsup:[/quote']I had to laugh when i read this lines and felt angry the same time! If our all friend and great member COOP is a racist then i am the queen of england.I have heard of this poor nerd SROBAK. He must have some serious problems in his real life and only can feel like a man on his PC.:birdie:I never saw COOP say a bad word, always friendly, never disappointed me. He always tries to help where he can.He made my life more MIAMI VICE.So SROBAK if you are around here... maybe anonymous just reading...get lost pal and get a real life. We don't need troublemakers around here.For me this is the best forum that is,ever was, and will be.MIAMI VICE forever!

• Administrators

I have heard of this poor nerd SROBAK. He must have some serious problems in his real life and only can feel like a man on his PC.:birdie:

That is what's called hitting the proverbial nail on the head! :clap:

Seems like srobak made a lasting impression with a lot of people' date=' too bad it was all bad! The guy could easily fill a topic all by himself.[/quote'] He was quite a charmer.

... Having worked on seasons 1 & 2 as a cameraman....

Like Sonny would say to Gina...."al-li-ga-tor".....i would say with the same voice "melody"...."fo-cus-pul-ler"....

• Administrators

Like Sonny would say to Gina...."al-li-ga-tor".....i would say with the same voice "melody"...."fo-cus-pul-ler"....

Viceman Commeth, was it you that coined the phrase "penis puller" or was that Noogie, or maybe someone else? :confused:I do recall shooting Diet Coke out my nostrils and all over the keyboard when I first read that one! :D

Interesting to recall the .org times and to realize how time flies.Similar to Ferrariman, I came onto .org after vicefiles.com passed away. (the site owner was Stefan Nylen, a Swedish guy who had great inside info about some music played on the show and was the first real VICE guru on the internet)Being on the German VICE site and .org at the same time, both were great places to be and to meet other fans. I was one of those who contributed more than I retrieved information, as I had done my MV homework in the 80s and 90s already. (I remember that it was in 1997 I had the idea to look the internet for infos about the show. I had problems to identify some music titles and without the internet it was like finding the Titanic with snorkeling gear). So, my expectations were low and I was just there to have a good time. But it was great to see how many nationalities and professions met and discovered new angles on the show (locations, art, cars, guns, ...) that I had never thought about. When Rick showed up at .org and Tim Truman started to post, I thought: Bingo! I can´t get better than that. And I was right.I still have no clue what has happened in the brains of some of the members, but there are mutualities of the freaks. They loved guns (in real life), were small in height and showed some kind of Tourette Syndrome which meant that they jumped on anyone for no reason. I kept out of the cock fights, simply because I deemed MV as a spend of free time, not as free psychotherapy. But at some occasions when Rick jumped on someone for asking questions about DJ by posting ridiculing graphics or insulting phrases, I could not hold it. To me, mv.org became a place that was only focused on fights and negative emotions, cooked over with frequent site blackouts ("site cannot be found"). Lunatic Fringe by Red Rider became the site anthem.Even today, I get the chills considering that someone like Rick is workin at Miami Police, even if not on patrol but as a photographer. Comparing the German site where I was on at the same time, showed the differences clearly. Respectful interacting and making friends on one site (German) and Aliens against Predator on the other. For me, the main credit to org. goes for bringing the real fans together and to weave friendships and connections that will last. I am glad that I met Lou(Ferrariman), Jeremy, DanJ, and many others (sorry I can not list you all :-) there and that all of those I really liked are now here on mvonline.com. I don´t spend time about thinking about the trolls, but I am really sorry for those who get now bothered by them (someone must be as "shrink".org is closed now and they surely have not got rid of their attitude problems).I am looking forward to having a good time here with you folks!

• Like 1

Viceman Commeth' date=' was it you that coined the phrase "penis puller" or was that Noogie, or maybe someone else? :confused:I do recall shooting Diet Coke out my nostrils and all over the keyboard when I first read that one! :D[/quote']lolol Dont forget that horse driving a Ferrari passing over Colin, Jammie and that fat ass...made by the lazy photoshopper avenger....I wont say names, but i know someone else who spit the tea as she saw it....lolol

I started at Miami Vice Chronicles around 1998, then on to .org in 2003. The good about .org (IMO) was it was very easy to navigate and had many "party favors" to go with it. The bad, well certain "people" were rather hostile with their opinions and it got ugly fast. When this site started, it seemed that some of that spilled over for a bit, but after a while, things got much better. I have to say the best thing about this site is having people like C&B here, adding something to the site in terms of information and behind the scenes stuff really makes it all worthwhile...and that "pointing" thread kills me everytime :)

Viceman Commeth' date=' was it you that coined the phrase "penis puller" or was that Noogie, or maybe someone else? :confused:I do recall shooting Diet Coke out my nostrils and all over the keyboard when I first read that one! :D[/quote'] I cannot take credit for "penis puller." Not sure who coined that one.

Even today' date=' I get the chills considering that someone like Rick is workin at Miami Police, even if not on patrol but as a photographer. [/quote']I completely agree about this. The idea that a guy with "little man syndrome" and a hair-trigger temper is so into guns and fancies himself an honorary member of law enforcement is chilling. I don't know if many members are aware of his latest gig, filming gun training videos for a company called Panteo Productions. Pretty obvious he's compensating for something. In the waning days of .org, after F-man had been banned, Rick turned his sig into something meant to be a backhand at F-man ("God created cops so firemen could have heroes, too.") I asked him, then, why God created the guy who videotapes the cops. My comment was deleted and I got a warning PM from the lovely srobak. Which I saved for posterity. It reads:" Viceman, I am only going to address this issue with you ONCE. If you push the matter, then I will simply deal with it permanently. You are more than welcome to come to this site and be a contributing member, or even a leach. But understand - do NOT under any circumstance come here to stir up any crap or trouble. I will not tolerate it, and neither will Marty or Tif. I have removed your post aimed at Rick. I have also removed his, and will be addressing him individually as I am you. Do not return to this site with an agenda. I understand you are hurt. So be it. However, DEAL with it. In time you will understand that what has transpired was for the best interests of this site. Behave here until then. If you want to cause a fuss - do it elsewhere. This is my only attempt at resolving the issue nicely with you. If you want to discuss this, or any other issues you have - feel free to send them to my PM, or to Marty's. I am copying him on this message so he is aware of the message deletion and the advisement. -scr"

• Administrators

Yup, that's standard srobak BS. Damn he sounds so professional when he has the upper hand doesn't he?! Plus he always has to CC his e-mails to martijn or whoever's in charge to make himself sound even more important. I'd just love to see the message he sent to Rick. Probably high fived him compared to what he sent you! and don't you just love this load of crap?! "In time you will understand that what has transpired was for the best interests of this site."Yeah they sure showed us didn't they?! lol!Here's another little tid bit I never mentioned before. The day after I banned srobak from .org he actually found my number and called me at my home! He said that all of his posts were copyrighted material and that he wanted them removed. When I told him I'm not doing it he asked me to let him back into his account so he could remove them. I said "that's not gonna happen either, go back and read the forum rules, your words of wisdom are the property of the site and are going to remain right where they are for everyone to read"The next night he called me again and threatened some kind of legal action (his usual threat) So I told him "that's fine, but you better send the paperwork to Randolph in Holland, he owns the site" That was the end of it. The last I heard from him he's busy throwing his weight around on wikipedia, deleting info that members post and bullying them with threats and rules. I actually feel like letting him join our site, just so I could have the pleasure of banning him again! What a loser.

• Like 1