Episode #17 "The Maze"

Ferrariman

Just watched this ep two nights ago.  Remembered bits and pieces but it was much better and more gripping than I remembered.  Hard to add to what Deep Cover said above!  

Crockett, Tubbs, and Castillo were all superbly acted.  The loose cannon cop, Duryea, was the perfect example of how making it personal could easily heighten the danger and risk the life of even more officers--especially Tubbs, in this case.  The actor who played him did a good job as well.  Agree that Lt. Davis was great, very believable.

• Like 1

• 7 months later...
On February 15, 2009 at 11:24 PM, Tony D. said:

The story starts out sad with the young cop getting shot. Good action with Sonny chasing the punks in the mall. My favorite part is PMT singing, "Livin' the Book of My Life." He's got a good lead role in this episode. I rate it an 8 for the song! P.S. - A couple years ago, my wife & I stayed at a timeshare condo in Daytona Beach, and next door was an abandoned apt. building that looked like "The Maze"! We even saw cops searching it at night for homeless squatters or drug addicts. Needless to say we didn't get a timeshare!But what a Miami Vice experience I enjoyed!!!! :thumbsup::cool:

My aggressive yet reasonable campaign to share PMT's LP version concludes lol. Ask and you shall (have received) the full recorded song (and album) below.

Like I mentioned in your PMT Fave Moment thread. PMT singing the song was also the highlight of the episode. And really a Top 10 memorable moment in the enitre series for me. Appropriate that it was a PMT-centric episode.

I may upload the entire LP in one vid. Some people like that. However I like my playlist of separate songs that plays one right after the other. Especially since Livin' the Book of My Life can be listened to by itself. I like being able to hear separate tracks ( I do that on my live amusement park shows YouTube channel also fwiw). It is interesting to see which ones are more popular. I like Fish and Chips but that one hasn't been viewed much. Maybe people will aprreciate it more in context of one vid.

So here's the link to the PMT vids and 411 thread for fans who aren't aware of it. I'd say remembers will be by now lol It makes sense posting it in The Maze thread and should have done it in the first place:

• Like 2

• 1 year later...

Kind of a mixed bag here.

I dig the opening and basically the first 15 mins.

Once the hotel is introduced, the episode kinda runs out of steam. Except for Tubbs singing.

Its cool to see Ving Rahmes. I couldn't even recognize him.

The ending was decent.

Goes to show ya that even the weakest S1 episodes are still decent.

6/10

• 2 years later...

So, I'm binge watching the first season and I'm up to The Maze. Damn, this episode was pretty intense! I don't think I appreciated this in the past! I especially loved Crockett's concern for his partner, Tubbs. When he decided to go in and help Rico, I found myself wound up in the tension and drama. Loved how he told the commander he was staying put, no matter what!!

That conversation with Castillo outside in the back was significant as well. Castillo understood Crockett. He valued this Detective's abilities and he respected his integrity. This relationship between these two was so important to the story-I think even more important than the bound between Rico and Sonny! 

Edited by mjcmmv
  • Like 2

This one's tough for me to watch, but that's because the DVD always messes up during it. I did like the concept quite a bit, and just the feeling of it was really good. I liked the grittiness of it.

• Like 3

46 minutes ago, Robbie C. said:

This one's tough for me to watch, but that's because the DVD always messes up during it. I did like the concept quite a bit, and just the feeling of it was really good. I liked the grittiness of it.

Yeah, garbage and even rats-it was gritty all right. I had to laugh seeing Crockett crawling through that hole to get into the complex. At least the shirt he had on was dark! Poor RIco had to lay tied up on that filthy mattress. No wonder he had that "itch", mon! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I like it but what puts me off watching it is the baby constantly crying. I don't think I have watched this one in years.

Its the only episode in 1&2 I skip.

Edited by RedDragon86

Just now, RedDragon86 said:

I like it but what puts me off is the baby constantly crying.

That would get on anyone's nerves!  But I do think it added to the atmosphere.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, vicegirl85 said:

I think it was overkill. It would have been much better if they didn't add a crying baby, maybe worrying young children.

2 hours ago, vicegirl85 said:

I agree, even though I deeply dislike crying babies. In a threatening atmosphere like the Maze was supposed to be the kids wouldn't be outside. A crying baby adds the thought of a scared or hurt child without you ever seeing one. Psychologically it's a stronger impact. Plus it's easier to do (and cheaper) than hiring extras and trying to wrangle them into position.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, RedDragon86 said:

I like it but what puts me off watching it is the baby constantly crying. I don't think I have watched this one in years.

Its the only episode in 1&2 I skip.

Oh, yeah! That baby...but it effectively added to the tension. You could see the punks were clearly on the edge with all that squalling! 

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

I find it a pretty good episode. But as RedDragon86 said; the baby can get on the nerves after a while, even though it could be well a part of the tension presented in this episode. I also don't like the "thoughtless" character Tim Duryea, but that is probably the idea. The rest of the overall progression of the story is pretty solid, and it has some great moments. The club scene in particular never gets old, and the scene prior with Crockett trying to get one of the Escobars was great (the scene with the shops and reflections). 7.5/10

• Like 1

• 7 months later...

Three words about this episode: "Renegades of Funk" (I really should've had that dance moment playing while I was also playing "Grand Theft Auto: Vice City Stories" and the song on the in-game radio; I consider it a missed opportunity:-)!

Also, wow, the Tim Duryea character was completely reckless all the way around; just generally something wrong with him. How did that guy ever get a badge, as he seems like one of those guys who was always up to something in school and kept getting kicked out of class:-). And Duryea, get off Crockett's car, you lunatic bozo!

I do like the tension of this episode, with Tubbs surviving off his wits, police training, and native intelligence until the cavalry arrives (at least Davis seems like a good man, and he is!:-). Also, I do like Tubbs singing "Living the Book of My Life" while on his way to The Maze (I like the lyrics); I bet the artist of that song is a favorite of Tubbs, maybe his #1 singer.

As usual, I love the guest stars here: Jay O. Sanders as Loose Cannon Duryea (my name for him), Ving Rhames as Georges, a guy just trying to get by and protect his sister, and Garcelle Beauvais as his sister Gabriella, who Elio Escobar is Fancy for. Also, the late Adolfo Quinones as Pepe, who I hope dances to "Renegades of Funk" in the afterlife as much as he wants (sad to hear he passed away:-(.

• Like 3

This episode has lots of good elements, but I don´t like it overall. For me, this one and Glades are the weakest of season 1.

The dirty building that occupies 2/3 of the episode´s screen time simply chokes all the other good elements (the disco scenes, the teaser, the search for the Escobars and the visuals in it) and it´s not very exciting to watch them to crawl through dirt the whole time just to catch 3 faceless gangsters hiding inside. Interestingly, they did exactly the same storyline (3 punks go crazy and need to be hunted down) again two episodes later with Nobody lives forever (just better, because of the personal storyline of Crockett/Brenda and Tubbs).

P.S. Crockett crawling through dirt in his Armani jacket although he is not undercover anymore anyway (or, opposite to Tubbs, could not pose as a homeless guy inside the building anyway in this outfit) is simply ridiculous. The whole rescue mission would in reality be a pure SWAT operation without any undercover detectives sneaking in first.

Edited by Tom
  • Like 4

I watched this episode last night. 

This is another one where you just have to focus on the amazing Jan Hammer music throughout. 

Honestly—I think Jan was thinking: “I gotta pull out all the stops here. This one needs some real help.”

He totally came through. :fireworks:

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, Tom said:

This episode has lots of good elements, but I don´t like it overall. For me, this one and Glades are the weakest of season 1.

The dirty building that occupies 2/3 of the episode´s screen time simply chokes all the other good elements (the disco scenes, the teaser, the search for the Escobars and the visuals in it) and it´s not very exciting to watch them to crawl through dirt the whole time just to catch 3 faceless gangsters hiding inside. Interestingly, they did exactly the same storyline (3 punks go crazy and need to be hunted down) again two episodes later with Nobody lives forever (just better, because of the personal storyline of Crockett/Brenda and Tubbs).

P.S. Crockett crawling through dirt in his Armani jacket although he is not undercover anymore anyway (or, opposite to Tubbs, could not pose as a homeless guy inside the building anyway in this outfit) is simply ridiculous. The whole rescue mission would in reality be a pure SWAT operation without any undercover detectives sneaking in first.

Yeah...as far as real law enforcement goes, the vice officers would never be involved in any kind bust, other than getting arrested themselves to keep their cover.  I always chuckle when I look at elements of the show that way.  I knew of a fellow officer under so long (2 years plus) he had to go to rehab when they pulled him out.  Not too glamorous.  I wish it had been as fun as the show.  A take-home Ferrari would've made me a tad cooler!

• Like 5

8 hours ago, Dadrian said:

I watched this episode last night. 

This is another one where you just have to focus on the amazing Jan Hammer music throughout. 

Honestly—I think Jan was thinking: “I gotta pull out all the stops here. This one needs some real help.”

He totally came through. :fireworks:

A great score from Hammer with some elements reused later that year in the Season 2 premiere “Prodigal Son”.

• Like 3

vor 32 Minuten schrieb Matt5:

A great score from Hammer with some elements reused later that year in the Season 2 premiere “Prodigal Son”.

and also re-used in "Everybody´s in Showbiz"

• Like 2

Oh, I totally agree with those who commented that Vice Division wouldn't be let anywhere near 'The Maze': this one's a SWAT production all the way. But wasn't Vice Squad always getting involved in cases such as 'The Home Invaders' and 'Shadow in the Dark' (heck, what about 'No Exit' even? Once the feds are in, Vice Division is sent to the dugout, right?), where they had no business? Totally suspension of disbelief for me, but I also can't help but agree with everyone else's logic.

vor 1 Stunde schrieb Eillio Martin Imbasciati:

Oh, I totally agree with those who commented that Vice Division wouldn't be let anywhere near 'The Maze': this one's a SWAT production all the way. But wasn't Vice Squad always getting involved in cases such as 'The Home Invaders' and 'Shadow in the Dark' (heck, what about 'No Exit' even? Once the feds are in, Vice Division is sent to the dugout, right?), where they had no business? Totally suspension of disbelief for me, but I also can't help but agree with everyone else's logic.

While I agree with you in case of The Maze (I brought up that unrealistic VICE involvement in the first place), I disagree with the other examples mentioned (Shadow, Home Invaders) as these were explainable or close to reality, at least at that time. In both cases, like in some others (e.g. Baby blues, Little Miss Dangerous, Baseballs of death-teaser/opening, Honor among thieves-kill string with pure cocaine), VICE was asked/ordered to help, either because the case had a VICE angle to it due to a hooker, drugs in play, victim with a VICE "jacket" or the case had so much public urgency that homicide or robbery alone could not handle it and politicians needed to show engagement. 

If you want to cite other unrealistic VICE involvement in cases in the series: how about Free Verse? This one is even more stupid as they would have blown their cover with this engagement! Why are undercover detectives like Crockett, Switek and Zito openly guarding a poet in front of TV cameras at the airport (Crockett hurried cameras away and covered his face for the same reason in "Red Tape")?

Edited by Tom
  • Like 2

Actually if you track the evolution of MV, the team shifts at some unspecified point from strictly Vice to OCB (Organized Crime Bureau or some such). In any case Vice wouldn't have been involved with all the arms dealers we saw in the series. The drugs were usually a tangent, and odds are the case would have been handed off to someone else (likely a Federal agency or some kind of task force, although those weren't as common in the '80s as they are now).

• Like 3

vor 1 Minute schrieb Robbie C.:

Actually if you track the evolution of MV, the team shifts at some unspecified point from strictly Vice to OCB (Organized Crime Bureau or some such). In any case Vice wouldn't have been involved with all the arms dealers we saw in the series. The drugs were usually a tangent, and odds are the case would have been handed off to someone else (likely a Federal agency or some kind of task force, although those weren't as common in the '80s as they are now).

No wonder ATF agent Wilson was so pissed off in "Evan" about VICE handling the case and jeopardizing Evan´s cover, as VICE would never have handled such a case. Also, the involvement in "Child´s play" with arms dealer Holiday was far fetched. Also in the teaser of "Like a hurricane" Crockett was working on a case to covertly buy rocket launchers and 100 Uzis. Maybe he did all that in his spare time ?:p

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

16 hours ago, Robbie C. said:

And let's not forget "When Irish Eyes are Crying." The odds of Crockett working a neo-Nazi arms dealer are pretty low...

I loved Crockett doing his Neo-Nazi bit though, to me it seemed to be a more difficult persona to perpetuate than the standard fare of drug middleman ("A hard partying ocean guy with questionable means"; but Burnett is no two-bit rabbit, no matter what the great villain Charlie Glide says:-) That's what I mean about the show though: I know in reality some of the stuff that happened in the show just wouldn't fly, but considering this was a show from the 1980's I do appreciate that some continuity was attempted in terms of storyline and characters.

• Like 1